Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

Ehhh, I don't know about "instantly stops"(see 'slashback' for instant stopping power), you still slide forward -> grab. Same as if you simply release 6 -> slide -> grab. But I just might be lacking in the execution department.

In training mode, I currently have recovery on random, and have tried every number between 1-30 on the recovery frame option. Problem is the dummy still isn't teching. Am I doing something wrong here?

You have to be moving no faster than walking speed to throw. FDing during a dash instantly stops the dash. It's normally called FD braking. It allows you to throw much more quickly.

To get real technical, the time during your dash recovery when you can't normally throw is only like 5-6 frames, which is pretty short. Yeah Dash Break before throw can potentially make that faster, but it's not really much faster (and with poor execution, could be slower). It's mostly just much easier to time, and tends to be harder to react to. Either way though, it's good to do.

In training mode, I currently have recovery on random, and have tried every number between 1-30 on the recovery frame option. Problem is the dummy still isn't teching. Am I doing something wrong here?

Also, you should have teching on front/back and frame 0, unless you're testing something special.

If your opponent taunted after the SLASH, you get 50% tension next round.

Also, on the subject of dash/brake throws, some character's natural stopping animation is a hop that avoids lows and throws. There was a Baiken #R combo movie that showed some situations where that would be preferable to FD brake.

How do you take a step forward before releasing a backwards charge move (like Axl's Rensengeki)?

There's a brief period of time after you've charged enough time where you can do something else before you lose your chance to do the charge move. So really, all you do is [4], 66S or something like that.

If your opponent taunted after the SLASH, you get 50% tension next round.

Are you sure? Because i taunt after the end of the round all the time, and it barely ever gives the tension boost.

are you sure you're not respecting, instead?

Actually, I tested this out, yeah, it is the taunting. That's really weird.

You broke the game! Free taunting after KO omg imba :v:

About breaking your dash with FD vs. going neutral, realistically speaking there isn't any speed differences, so do whatever feels more comfortable. True about baiken's dash break causing lower body invincibility, that's one benefit to not breaking your dash with FD.

About breaking your dash with FD vs. going neutral, realistically speaking there isn't any speed differences, so do whatever feels more comfortable. True about baiken's dash break causing lower body invincibility, that's one benefit to not breaking your dash with FD.

Er... I disagree entirely with the first part. While the difference is <10 frames or so, in a game with 0-frame throws, that break is the difference between getting thrown and not getting thrown a lot of the time, whether it's because it prevents you from getting into throw range, or simply allows you to get your own throw/attack off faster.

disagree completely

there is a HUGE difference in the time between FD cancelled dash and going neutral, you should be breaking your dashes with FD as opposed to just going neutral 100% of the time.

I dunno guys, I've tested this a lot back in the day (FDing vs. neutraling) and I never noticed any difference whatsoever in terms of timing. The time it takes to hit back + 2 buttons then forward + H is the same as letting go of forward and then pressing 6H, so I figured that FD breaking only adds excessive inputs. If you have a character that favors throwing the opposite direction (FD > 4H) then there may be a slight difference in timing, but I haven't tested this since I mostly play chars with forward throws.

EDIT: granted I tested on pad, I haven't tested on stick yet since I've recently switched so I could be wrong if said input is smoother on stick

EDIT: although I wouldn't agree with breaking dashes 100% using FD, certain throw setups are more about reaching throw range just when someone is recovering from blockstun, where FD breaking would only be excessive

Oh we're talking about running throws, yes you can cancel the dash break animation into a throw but I always FD it, if they do happen to throw something out you'll block it and you run no risk of accidently doing a 6HS because you didn't go all the way back to neutral.

Plus when you FD you still slide forward :kitty:

When you just go neutral, your dash stops and you almost completely stop in place. When you break your run with FD and hold foward for the throw, you will contine sliding forward (walking) until you throw, essentially extending the length of it :psyduck:

Speaking about dash-break throw. Recently, I found that if you do command grab after dashing with an extra 7 or 9 (just like Slayer's BDC bite, 6632147H), your character can stop dashing completely when he/she does the command grab. For example, when you use Faust, you can approach the ooponent by dashing and then do 2147H to make Faust stop the dash completely and start the grab. I don't know if this trick is useful.

Sign in to follow this