Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

oh wait, there was one thing I forgot to test, and I was indeed wrong.

each character seems to have their gauges build up at different rates. I would assume guts and/or defense modifiers are factored in some how.

-there a list of who builds GB faster (and slower)?

as in that character is blocking, does Pot for example take longer to build up his gauge than say Buri

See the System data. There's a multiplier for the guard balance, and guard balance recovery rate (fast, normal, slow).

Could someone learn me this "fuzzy guard". It sounds like something to do with a latent or lefto'er hitbox... I dunno. Aid, please.

Isn't fuzzy guard switching between crouching/standing rapidly to block everything?

that's what it is in every other fighting game but Guilty Gear. Dunno why people didn't try to come up with a different name.

Fuzzy guard is the name of that thing that happens when you block a string standing or crouching, and then your hitbox retains the shape of your standing, or crouching, guard's hitbox, regardless of whether you are actually stand blocking or crouch blocking, in till you leave block stun.

Which allows for funny mixups that, usually, take advantage of your hit box being stuck a certain way, usually standing. I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head. I'm sure a Dizzy player could give you some examples.

that's what it is in every other fighting game but Guilty Gear. Dunno why people didn't try to come up with a different name.

Fuzzy guard is the name of that thing that happens when you block a string standing or crouching, and then your hitbox retains the shape of your standing, or crouching, guard's hitbox, regardless of whether you are actually stand blocking or crouch blocking, in till you leave block stun.

Which allows for funny mixups that, usually, take advantage of your hit box being stuck a certain way, usually standing. I can't think of any good examples off the top of my head. I'm sure a Dizzy player could give you some examples.

It's usually something like "JCable air normal into either dj.Fast air normal" or "SCable air normal into overhead air special." I think I-No uses it a lot. It can also happen with 2-hit moves, for example, unless I'm missing something to do with IBing or something, you can't block the first hit of Axl's 5P and then duck and have the second hit whiff. It'll hit the air above you and count you as blocking, since the hitbox remains fixed in the standing position.

pretty much everything you expect is an overhead, IS an overhead. You don't have to wonder like tekken. If you see the opponent hop or go in the air, it's an overhead. If you see the opponent do a normal that takes a while to come out, chances are it's an overhead.

Is there a list of overheads somewhere? I know about Dusts and air moves but I mean specific moves where it might not be completely obvious that it's an overhead.

I think the only overhead that doesnt look like one... asides some of the dust, is testament 6P. Oh and Anji's FB Fujin caught me off guard as an overhead the first time.

Maybe Faust forward HS... or

Whether a move looks overhead or not is pretty subjective. Regardless, just go in to training mode and test it out your self. Or, if you don't have access to a PS2, 'cause you play at the arcade or something, just sacrifice a round or two and try blocking the move low. If it doesn't work, then try blocking it high. If blocking it high works, then it's an overhead. If blocking high doesn't work, then OH SHIT UNBLOCKABLE.

If you want to find and search in the frame data for overheads

search for HF or HA in the guard column. Only exception is A.B.A.'s key hop, where if you block it high, you get staggered. Go figure.

I'm always annoyed by the fact that Testament drops to his knees during his 6P. Bad habit of mine is to react to the crouch => block low and get beaned. Reactiowned. Speaking of which, Testament's 5D doesn't look like much of an overhead either, does it?

pretty much everything you expect is an overhead, IS an overhead. You don't have to wonder like tekken. If you see the opponent hop or go in the air, it's an overhead. If you see the opponent do a normal that takes a while to come out, chances are it's an overhead.

Bandit Revolver :v:

But yeah, Testament's 6P is the reason I asked. It just doesn't look like an overhead at all. Thanks for the help though, I'll check the frame data

Hidden

I know it's not exactly a request for Frame Data or anything but:

Does anyone or can anyone make a list of the "lesser known" abilities each GG character has?

Like for instance, Millia's double-air dash or Anji's rather unique Super-Jump? I really don't know the full extent of everyone really....

"You mean.. Johnny can throw coins??" :psyduck:

Anyone who's ever played or seen those characters played even once would know of those abilities, so they wouldn't really qualify as 'lesser known'.

Hidden

No, nothing like that...I know special inputs and stuff, and certainly the gameplay systems themselves (i.e. Anji's Autoguard)...but...

I think, when I first started out, I didn't know Order-Sol could retain charge, charge cancel attacks, or that Johnny could Mist-Cancel, things like that.

I'm talking about stuff that ups combo potential that most people don't know.

Another example would be, making Zappa's Blood Sword "float out while doing specials"

There's something weird about Sol's Grand Viper:

1. A few times CPU I-no did a TK HS Dive and I did Grand Viper. This is when the weird thing happened. I-no and Sol met at midscreen and they both stop travelling forward. I-no was still doing the dive and Sol was still doing GV but they weren't going anywhere.The game wasn't frozen at all either.They both stayed in place doing their move.

I thought originally GV would go under TK HS dive but instead it stopped it from going forward and Sol didn't go forward either, then Sol does the uppercut and hits I-no.

2. I had some matches on Wednesday against an Order-Sol player. I was using Sol. We all know Order-Sol has a low jump. So the Order-Sol player IAD's towards me. I was testing out the pullback on the startup of Sol's GV. I wanted to see if I can use it to evade a jump in and if it works, my opponent's attack will whiff netting me free damage. And then it happened again.

Everytime he IAD's in, I did GV and he didn't go any further. He was still IADing but he just didn't go over me. Sol was still doing GV. It's as if GV stops these advancements...

Anyone knows why this happens?

No, nothing like that...I know special inputs and stuff, and certainly the gameplay systems themselves (i.e. Anji's Autoguard)...but...

I think, when I first started out, I didn't know Order-Sol could retain charge, charge cancel attacks, or that Johnny could Mist-Cancel, things like that.

I'm talking about stuff that ups combo potential that most people don't know.

Another example would be, making Zappa's Blood Sword "float out while doing specials"

there's useful stuff to know that doesn't necessarily "up" your combo potential, either.

definitely a valid reqeust, though, not a lot of stuff is obvious, even after you play the game for a bit.

There's something weird about Sol's Grand Viper:

1. A few times CPU I-no did a TK HS Dive and I did Grand Viper. This is when the weird thing happened. I-no and Sol met at midscreen and they both stop travelling forward. I-no was still doing the dive and Sol was still doing GV but they weren't going anywhere.The game wasn't frozen at all either.They both stayed in place doing their move.

I thought originally GV would go under TK HS dive but instead it stopped it from going forward and Sol didn't go forward either, then Sol does the uppercut and hits I-no.

2. I had some matches on Wednesday against an Order-Sol player. I was using Sol. We all know Order-Sol has a low jump. So the Order-Sol player IAD's towards me. I was testing out the pullback on the startup of Sol's GV. I wanted to see if I can use it to evade a jump in and if it works, my opponent's attack will whiff netting me free damage. And then it happened again.

Everytime he IAD's in, I did GV and he didn't go any further. He was still IADing but he just didn't go over me. Sol was still doing GV. It's as if GV stops these advancements...

Anyone knows why this happens?

i think it's a matter of the aerial opponent's hitboxes being lower than expected.

you can even get the same effect if you get Sol to run at I-no, instead of GVing -- he'll completely evade the H Dive with his running hitbox, allowing you a free WT combo if she doesn't FRC!

btw, i could only replicate it with Order Sol as he was falling from his airdash. i was able to GV under the airdash, itself, just fine.

Sign in to follow this