Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

According to my experience against mediocre sols:

reload chipp does with his p teleport to get behind all normals canceling into ANYTHING.

As for slash chipp, im not sure if you can counter all his shit by the D teleport, but smeh.

I also think that johnny is a pretty favourable matchup against sol. Just learn a bit of IB plus COINAGE FTW against pressure.

Best bet is still sol vs sol xD LOLZ!!!

I also think that johnny is a pretty favourable matchup against sol. Just learn a bit of IB plus COINAGE FTW against pressure.

I wouldn't say that. But I don't get alot of good Johnny vs. Sol experience, so maybe I just suck. I find it hard to space myself properly. Sol can go under/VV alot of Johnny's stuff.

Jam ought to have a good match up against Sol. Just parry his shit, then take half his health.

Confirming that #R Jam does pretty well against Sol... don't know about Slash but I would bet it isn't much worse.

Pote actually does well against Sol. 6P beats most anything Sol does if you time it right, you can FDB a non FRCed Gunflame, and you can pressure him on wakeup safely.

I wouldn't say that. But I don't get alot of good Johnny vs. Sol experience, so maybe I just suck. I find it hard to space myself properly. Sol can go under/VV alot of Johnny's stuff.

Jam ought to have a good match up against Sol. Just parry his shit, then take half his health.

that's when you bait it. (it's a very patient game with johnny. Once you get above average game play, frame traps for johnny isn't that great becoz 5k and s(f) gets beat easily. As for 2s is sometimes a bit too slow, and gets DPed. But with proper spacing and focusing on corner lock down, that's when johnny starts to shine.) ANyway it's actually about the same scenario for sol. sol does any pressure string just do coinage for the pwnage. And IB plus 2hs = free get outta my face move. But again then comes sol trying to play bait the 2hs. But 2hs is a lot safer than VV IMO. It's safe on block just not on wiff.

bleh, dun take my word as bible, but at least that's what i've been playing and seeing in HK arcades. And that's above average game play.

FRC knackers tension gain down to 20% for five seconds, as does RC. FD does the same for 1 second. Negative penalty does the same for 10 seconds. IB increaes it by some amount for some length of time. Attacking seems to lower tension gain by about half for a second or so afterwards. I noticed this when Walking forwards after attacking, the tension builds slowly and then seems to double after a second of it.

Hidden

What combo should I be doing for stinger aim loops? I normaly do c.s(2hit),hs,stinger aim,frc,repeat,2k,2d. Is there another combo I should be using?

Ok, there's 63 pages to this thread so I'm not sure if this question was answered.

I'm fairly sure I'm an intermediate player (I can get perfects on Boss I-No on Maniac) however, I never use Roman Cancels (moslty on the grounds that my reflexes are complete and utter shit, and I use a xbox controler since I play XX#R, thus when I try to press just THREE buttons I wind up hitting four and going into the godamn IK mode.)

So my question is, are roman cancels truly necissary for tournaments? I don't watch many tournament vids but those I did see, no one really used RCs, and those who did were primarily corner whoring. Now I'm sure in a tournament the rules go "if you don't corner, you die".

Anyways, back on point. Can someone who never uses RCs, but manages to chain specials and hits into fairly decent combos stand a chance in a tournament? And one more thing. Those damned FRCs, I've gone into training and have been trying to time it just right, even with the button input key on to see when the bar flashes blue. Every time I press the three buttons, I pull off a regular RC.

Oh, and if it's of any importance, the characters I play are primarily Slayer and Jam.

You definitely need to know how to RC with Slayer, Jam, and every other character. If you tryed entering a tournament with out being able to RC you would probaly get beat every time. Pilebunker loops one of slayers most damaging combos requires knowing how to RC. Even his BnBs require knowing how to RC. To Rc with an xbox controler i find it easy using Y,B,and A. Move your thumb right a little to make sure you don't hit X. After you get used to it RCs aren't that hard on an Xbox controler. As for FRCs they take a lot of practice to get the timing right every time. If I was you I would get RCs down before I started trying to FRC. I hope this helped. Wish you the best of luck trying to RC/FRC.

RCs are essential, trust me, when you're learning them for the first time, you can be forgiven for not seeing their use. However, you have tension, and overdrives are simply nothing on the flexibility of an RC.

For the same tension as an overdrive, you're often looking at:

Being able to cancel moves safley when they land on block.

Surprise your opponent with unexpected mixups when they thought they were safe.

Capitalise on random pokes.

Use really funky comboes which end in knockdowns.

Maximise damage, because you have to take whatever damage you can get (horay for skew RC finishers!)

I'm not saying don't use overdrives, because they often have very safe startups, but remember, when you use an RC, that tension will always being put to good use if used with skill. Not everyone's overdrives are worth it most of the time, and a few of them need to use their own FRCs to maximise their worth.

Thanks guys. and see, for some reason I have a hard time getting tension really fast (unless I use jam, because I can combo hits with her pretty damn well). So most of the time I wind up using overdrives as a kind of "high damage parry". Right before I get hit with a move I use one and wind up overriding their attack with my own. It's especially easy for me if I use Slayer's horizontal Overdrive, and Jam's Phoenix one (damn XX#R for not saying what the moves are called in the combo list)

I suppose I'm too used to the SF type of play, haha. Especially when people list combos. Seeing numbers instead of QCF, HCF, etc throws me off. But yeah, I suppose I'll start trying to use them more. Managed to find a fairly damaging combo using an RC after Slayer's horizontal OD.

I think I should also point out that cornering and whoring specific combos constantly really goes against my play ethics. That means I'm destined to lose, right?

How do I block Ragnarok?

Do moves have priority?

If so, how do I determine which move has the most priority in any given situation?

For example, it seems to me that I, using Axl, cannot beat Chipps j.H at all. Do all his moves out prioritize mine? The best I can do about it is trade with my 2S. Any help for this specific scenario would be appreciated.

^

1. What's Ragnarok?

2. There are no actual values that say "this move or that move have this much priority" in any game. It's just hit boxes. To determine if a move has good priority or not, you just try to find out if the attack box for a certain move extends far enough from a chars hit box as to not get hit out, or if a certain move has some form of invincibility.

3. Most of Chipp's attacks, while having pretty low reach, are actually hard to beat. j.H isn't an exception. That thing clashes w/ just about anything. Only DPs, projectiles and really good 6Ps could beat that with ease, or attacks coming from above Chipp at the time (what's the chances of that though?). If you are really desperate to beat it out, use 623S as it has invincibility, or the 623P/421P counter. Against a really good Chipp player though, you will find yourself blocking j.H more than you will trying to beat it cause good Chipp players know how to use it safetly.

I think I should also point out that cornering and whoring specific combos constantly really goes against my play ethics. That means I'm destined to lose, right?

No, that means you're destined to play RPG, FPS, and anything but fighting games.

How is it unethical to corner someone?

In my personal opinion it's a cheap tactic. Kinda like the buffest member of the football team beating up the short fat kid at lunch. I dunno, is beating on someone restrained against a wall really a sign of how "badass" you are? Cause if anything it seems like you can't fight/combo WITHOUT the wall.

There's a difference between cornering someone and beating their ass and being cheap or using gay mode tactics to win. When you use gambit glitches to win tourneys, THATS unethical. When you beast someone in the corner with Sol, that's just fun.

-KDX-

In my personal opinion it's a cheap tactic. Kinda like the buffest member of the football team beating up the short fat kid at lunch. I dunno, is beating on someone restrained against a wall really a sign of how "badass" you are? Cause if anything it seems like you can't fight/combo WITHOUT the wall.

No, it means you or the person you are fighting against is a shitty player for letting themselves get put into the corner and not getting out. It's part of the game, you learn how to put someone into the corner, you learn how to stay out of the corner, you learn how to get out of the corner when someone puts you into it.

You can easily fight without the wall.

Getting them to the wall isn't exactly easy.

I don't see how it's unethical to use the wall, because they can use the wall on you too.

Wait wait wait, so not using cornerwhoring tactics makes me not play to win by default? I beg to differ.

I prefer not corner because yeah, I feel it's a cheap tactic, but I also get a rush off of the threat of having an opponent who isn't being assraped against an invisible wall. If anything, having that threat there makes my desire to win even bigger.

Ah well, if that makes me a "scrub" then so be it.

The thing is: If you don't use stuff like corner traps, unblockable setups, throwing a lot when needed, and whatever stuff is usually considered "cheap", your opponents will never be forced to deal with it. And if they don't use this kind of stuff, neither will you.

What happens in this case is that both players will end up being strategically limited, compared to players that have been using everything they can to win. And the whole game becomes strategically limited too.

When both players use whatever they can get to beat each other, they will eventually learn how to avoid these situations and deal with it as they appear: If you corner rape an opponent whenever he gets to the corner, he will have to learn how to avoid the corner, and if he ever gets put in the corner, he will need to find a way out.

Positioning suddenly becomes a very important factor, as you strugle to avoid moves that are more likely to put an opponent in an advantegeous position. Opponents will have to find new setups and more effective tatics to force you into the corner and you will have to keep them all in mind when playing, as well as knowing counters to these tatics, and ways to turn infavorable situations against your opponent.

The same is true of most other of those "cheap" stuff. If you play Millia and never use her brutal Okizemes, you will never realize how important knockdowns are for her game. If your opponent doesn't Pot Busters you at any possible chance, you will never realize how important it is to tighten your attack strings and never leave holes bigger than 2 frames in it. And all of those eventually lead to a bigger, better understanding of yours and your opponent's normals, ranges, optimal distances, etc.

That's how games evolve.

You may say that players that use the corner are "less skilled" than you are. But chances are that they have a far deeper knowledge of their characters and of the game.

Of course, that's not to say that there's no such thing as really cheap stuff. Tatics that are unavoidable and lead to assured wins, no matter what the opponent may try, are most likely cheap. Recognizing those is the real problem, though.

And if my english sucks, please forgive me.

The way I see it is that Corners add a whole element of strategy and risk to the game.

Getting out of it and how to get your opponent in, ect.

And the rewards for getting them into the corner are oh-so great. Moreso for big Pot.

Maybe I should clarify that I don't think throws are cheap. Hell. if I could pull them off on the spur of the moment I would use them a lot.

My main problem is my reflexes are absolute shit. I can't pull off like, five moves, with FRC's flying out my ass like a lot of you can. (In fact, a lot of my chains/combos wind up coming in quick bursts.) I try doing combos people suggest and I wind up slipping up by pressing wrong buttons or cracking under stress, so I wind up sticking to my own tactics.

So that all, plus no one in my area is any good at the game (we have a guy here who beleives that using all three of may's trips in sucession is the greatest combo ever made), so i can't really improove (and I'm sure AI is of no help, as many of you probably get fucking perfects on every fight on maniac)

Sign in to follow this