Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

My main problem is my reflexes are absolute shit. I can't pull off like, five moves, with FRC's flying out my ass like a lot of you can. (In fact, a lot of my chains/combos wind up coming in quick bursts.) I try doing combos people suggest and I wind up slipping up by pressing wrong buttons or cracking under stress, so I wind up sticking to my own tactics.

So that all, plus no one in my area is any good at the game (we have a guy here who beleives that using all three of may's trips in sucession is the greatest combo ever made), so i can't really improove (and I'm sure AI is of no help, as many of you probably get fucking perfects on every fight on maniac)

ummm... Yeah, you can improve: practice those combos till you *don't* press wrong buttons or crack under stress. Muscle memory, dude. Just drill it into your skull, don't give up.

Also, I have one more question. Why is it that EX characters, Justice, and Kliff are banned from tournaments?

Last I checked EX characters are just the same charas with new moves. And Justice and Kliff are just more charas. What's the deal? I mean, if people are all "HEY NO JUSTICE OR KLIFF CUZ THEY'RE BROKEN :{!" Considering cornering and bug exploiting is allowed and considered part of the game, Is it really the Justice or Kliff user's fault that their opponent can't take them down? If their opponent was a skilled player I would have no idea how they couldn't find ways to counter those two.

In general for any fighting game, if it isn't in the arcade version it is banned from tournament play. Which is why all non game breaking glitches and "cheap" tactics are allowed, but extra characters aren't.

Just complementing what PsiPhi is saying.

At least how i see it, the arcade version is pretty much what the designers intended for competitive play.

The console version has a lot of extra fluff and features in order to increase the replay value for people who are playing on their own without having other people to play.

I mean, fighting games really arent that much fun without other people, and you can only beat arcade mode so many times with each character before it gets boring.

So the designers add stuff to the console version for "at home" playing. They dont really add it in with the intention of balancing it for competitive play, so nobody really knows if it is balanced or not.

It is arguable and ambiguous to what technically is allowed in tournaments. Since people have to draw the line somewhere with what is allowed in tournaments and what isn't, and to avoid ambiguity and controversy, it is just easier to draw the line at what was released in the arcades.

...we have a guy here who beleives that using all three of may's trips in sucession is the greatest combo ever made...

I'm really confused by this. May can't combo 3 sweeps. Do you mean 2k,2h,2d? That isn't necessarily a bad combo, it doesn't do wonderful damage or anything, but it knocks down and gives you an opportunity for more oki. Personally I use 2k,2d, vertical dolphin as a low starting b&b combo.

He probably meant that the May is tripping him three consecutive times and he's not blocking it.

EX characters are mostly broken. Anji gets his Autoguard super from just blocking, and Zappa can choose what summon he wants.

Purify was right, and nah, I block it. It's just that's ALL he does. So the whole fight consists of low blocking the same three, readable moves, then wailing on him, blocking low again, wailing on him, you win. of course, the reason he thinks it's the greatest combo ever is because he can use it on rookies who've never played the game, beat them, and "not use trips all the time since only down + D is a trip, the others are knockdowns."

And bleh, EX characters don't seem that broken to me. I mean, ya just gotta work around the new tactics (I actually like using EX-Sol, personally)

But yeah, thanks for the advice and everything. The Y,B,A for RC's actually helps quite a bit (I used to use Y, X, A) so I don't run into the damn IK stuff anymore. I've managed to figure out some pretty basic RC combos with slayer, the only problem is I never really get a chance to use em as I can't seem to get tension fast enough.

EDIT: And maybe I should use different characters? My friends tell me I'm pretty decent with Sol, however I veer away from him because a lot of people tend to use him (and pretty damn well mind you, so I feel intimidated picking him up), plus the dust loop is like a staple of playing him. Am I a moron =B?

Once you learn stick,

you'll play better, but you won't necessarily be a better player.

It takes like a month or so to get used to a stick. Playing with it at first can be pretty frustrating. Once you get used to a stick though, its easier to do most things. I personaly find FRCs a lot easier on a stick.

I have 2 pointless IK questions:

1. Does anyone have a translation to the kanji on Jam's IK?

2. Why is mays IK the only IK that is 41236,41236+HS?

Because May's IK is a grab. Or was it unblockable? Or was it Zappa's that was unblockable? Anyways, it's not a strike, like everyone elses (except Zappa's).

So I suppose the next question is; Why isn't Zappa's IK also 4123641236HS?

And the answer to both is: Just because.

Romancancel.com's #R frame data said it was just an unblockable hit with very short range if I recall correctly, but I don't know if that is really true.

Because May's IK is a grab. Or was it unblockable? Or was it Zappa's that was unblockable? Anyways, it's not a strike, like everyone elses (except Zappa's).

So I suppose the next question is; Why isn't Zappa's IK also 4123641236HS?

And the answer to both is: Just because.

I dont think zappas is 41236 its 236

but no one has a translation to jams kanji on her IK!?!?!?! :cry:

Romancancel.com's #R frame data said it was just an unblockable hit with very short range if I recall correctly, but I don't know if that is really true.

Which one? May's or Zappa's? Or both?

I dont think zappas is 41236 its 236

Read my post alittle bit more carefully.

Jam's IK kanji: tenjou tenka yuiga dokuson. Pretty sure it's a quote from Buddha. Anyway, translated literally it means "Thoughout Heaven and Earth, I am the One and Only."

I have 2 pointless IK questions:

1. Does anyone have a translation to the kanji on Jam's IK?

May's and Zappa's IKs are command throws. May's is significantly easier to hit with (90F of active time in slash) so they gave it half circle motions instead.

Jam's IK kanji: tenjou tenka yuiga dokuson. Pretty sure it's a quote from Buddha. Anyway, translated literally it means "Thoughout Heaven and Earth, I am the One and Only."

Thats awsome, thanks a bunch!

Do moves which grant throw-invincbility frames also give command throw-invincibility frames? For example Baiken's 6K.. If I do a 6K can I be Pot bustered?

Thanks!

may's ik is not a command throw, it's a unblockable much like pot buster or a.b.a's special.

Sign in to follow this