Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

Stupid Questions Thread

- READ THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU POST IT PROBABLY ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION:

http://dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372

- If you have a question about some really simple stuff that is incredibly basic to the gameplay of the game (like Faultless defense or Bursting or something like that), go to gamefaqs and read the FAQ. Pretend it's the manual for the game:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/guilty_gear_xx_slash.txt

- Make sure your post is GAMEPLAY RELATED. If your question is specific to a matchup or character, you should consider posting it in that character's forum.

- If I delete your post, that doesn't mean I hate you or I'm being a jerk, it probably means you either broke one of these rules or otherwise was not really useful to the discussion. If you don't know why your post was deleted, you can PM me and I will tell you why.

This thread is for any questions you may have relating directly to gameplay.

Any other stupid questions not related such as:

Where can i buy gg?

Is there a gg anime?

Are Sol and ky lovers?

Those sort of questions belong in here

Keep this thread free of anything other than gameplay topics and post whatever questions you like in the other.

Stupid Questions Thread

- READ THIS THREAD BEFORE YOU POST IT PROBABLY ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION:

http://dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372

- If you have a question about some really simple stuff that is incredibly basic to the gameplay of the game (like Faultless defense or Bursting or something like that), go to gamefaqs and read the FAQ. Pretend it's the manual for the game:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/guilty_gear_xx_slash.txt

- Make sure your post is GAMEPLAY RELATED. If your question is specific to a matchup or character, you should consider posting it in that character's forum.

- If I delete your post, that doesn't mean I hate you or I'm being a jerk, it probably means you either broke one of these rules or otherwise was not really useful to the discussion. If you don't know why your post was deleted, you can PM me and I will tell you why.

This thread is for any questions you may have relating directly to gameplay.

Any other stupid questions not related such as:

Where can i buy gg?

Is there a gg anime?

Are Sol and ky lovers?

Those sort of questions belong in here

Keep this thread free of anything other than gameplay topics and post whatever questions you like in the other.

True but people are still going to ask such idiotic question's people aren't too bright on the internet and would rather make a thread then look in a manual...I think it's best we just cover everything,even the stupid thing's...so we never have to see anymore thread's on crap like what's frc..

True but people are still going to ask such idiotic question's people aren't too bright on the internet and would rather make a thread then look in a manual...I think it's best we just cover everything,even the stupid thing's...so we never have to see anymore thread's on crap like what's frc..

I'll answer them here anyway:

Okizeme is the technique of attacking the other player as soon as they stand up after being knocked down, often using mixup/crossup (see below) in order to ensure a hit lands so they can start another combo or otherwise pressure the opponent.

FDC is short for "Faultless defense cancel" and is where the faultless defense technique is used to cut short certain actions which cannot otherwise be cut short with a normal block or not pressing anything, or cut short as quickly. A common example is known as the faultless defense brake, since usually, when dashing, coming to a halt takes a few frames while the character skids, whereas using FD the character stops more or less instantly and can better stop attacks.

Tick throwing is the trick of making your opponent think you're about to hit with a normal attack (usually low) and, in causing them to block and stay still, throwing them instead.

Mixup comes in the form of trying to attack with overhead and low attacks as close together as possible such that the other player finds it difficult to see if they should block high or low.

Crossup stems from the fact that when characters pass to the other side of each other, the direction you must press in order to block reverses. If you jump over a character and attack them before they realise they need to block in the other direction, you can get a nice free hit.

Guilty gear mode is an overall change to the game physics, GG mode has the game speed up, just about everything being jump cancellable and tension gain increases considerably as your character nears KO.

GGX mode is more subtle, the game is slightly faster, floorbounces become untechable, certain music tracks get changed to how they once were in GGX along with a few minor changes.

There is no anime, but there is manga.

Tiers are a preception of how good a character is compared to the others, the ones considered the best sit in tier 1 and so on. Often debated and ArcSys does their best to remove such differences in the characters.

Lockdown is the act of constantly attacking your opponent (blocked or not) in such a way that your opponent finds it very difficult to move away or attack. Usually lockdown only happens when a player is backed into the corner.

RC is a Roman cancel, performed by pressign three buttons when one of your attacks connects (even if blocked), it costs you 50% of a tension guage but completely removes all recovery from that move, meaning you're free to follow up your move, block or whatever.

FRC is false roman cancel, performed again by three buttons but only during very short periods of time during specific moves. These cancels only cost 25% of your tension and can even be used if your attack whiffs entirely. The only ways to find where these points are (that I know) is looking up on an FAQ or going into practice mode, make sure the input readout in on and then watch to see when the input readout flashes blue when you do the right moves. (How do the arcade players find the FRC ponits? Anyone?)

Overdrives are tension moves a.k.a super moves, they cost half a bar of tension.

I'll answer them here anyway:

Okizeme is the technique of attacking the other player as soon as they stand up after being knocked down, often using mixup/crossup (see below) in order to ensure a hit lands so they can start another combo or otherwise pressure the opponent.

FDC is short for "Faultless defense cancel" and is where the faultless defense technique is used to cut short certain actions which cannot otherwise be cut short with a normal block or not pressing anything, or cut short as quickly. A common example is known as the faultless defense brake, since usually, when dashing, coming to a halt takes a few frames while the character skids, whereas using FD the character stops more or less instantly and can better stop attacks.

Tick throwing is the trick of making your opponent think you're about to hit with a normal attack (usually low) and, in causing them to block and stay still, throwing them instead.

Mixup comes in the form of trying to attack with overhead and low attacks as close together as possible such that the other player finds it difficult to see if they should block high or low.

Crossup stems from the fact that when characters pass to the other side of each other, the direction you must press in order to block reverses. If you jump over a character and attack them before they realise they need to block in the other direction, you can get a nice free hit.

Guilty gear mode is an overall change to the game physics, GG mode has the game speed up, just about everything being jump cancellable and tension gain increases considerably as your character nears KO.

GGX mode is more subtle, the game is slightly faster, floorbounces become untechable, certain music tracks get changed to how they once were in GGX along with a few minor changes.

There is no anime, but there is manga.

Tiers are a preception of how good a character is compared to the others, the ones considered the best sit in tier 1 and so on. Often debated and ArcSys does their best to remove such differences in the characters.

Lockdown is the act of constantly attacking your opponent (blocked or not) in such a way that your opponent finds it very difficult to move away or attack. Usually lockdown only happens when a player is backed into the corner.

RC is a Roman cancel, performed by pressign three buttons when one of your attacks connects (even if blocked), it costs you 50% of a tension guage but completely removes all recovery from that move, meaning you're free to follow up your move, block or whatever.

FRC is false roman cancel, performed again by three buttons but only during very short periods of time during specific moves. These cancels only cost 25% of your tension and can even be used if your attack whiffs entirely. The only ways to find where these points are (that I know) is looking up on an FAQ or going into practice mode, make sure the input readout in on and then watch to see when the input readout flashes blue when you do the right moves. (How do the arcade players find the FRC ponits? Anyone?)

Overdrives are tension moves a.k.a super moves, they cost half a bar of tension.

overdrive junkie, on behalf of the community I thank you and Old Man Dan (we haven't forgotten the OP ^_^)

Personally I got some dumb questions answered so you guys have saved yourselves one dumb question post :china:

overdrive junkie, on behalf of the community I thank you and Old Man Dan (we haven't forgotten the OP ^_^)

Personally I got some dumb questions answered so you guys have saved yourselves one dumb question post :china:

You mispelled "dash break", it should be 'brake' as it referrs to the brakeing system on a car.

Oh and also:

Tiger knee:

Looking at the command list for every character, you can see that every move they have is broken into a set of direction movements and then a button. Curiously, it is possible to input the right movements, jump and then press the corresponding button to activate the move (Assuming you can perform the move in the air normally). This means that you perform moves that require being in the air very close to the ground, also, it makes for quick overhead moves, which must be blocked high. For example, Eddie's executioner move (236 236 S in the air only) may be performed on the ground with 236 2369 S with the '9' causing you to jump just before you activate the move.

Instant air dash (IAD):

When you press 9 (or 7) what the game actually sees is (8+6), therefore you can use the 6 part of that and press 6 again (Simply, 96), and hey presto, you've just air dashed very close to the ground.

Prorate, proration:

Certain attacks in the game are designed with easy followup comboes in mind (Sol's Hard throw for example). However, to stem their abuse an effect called proration is added to these moves. Quoted as a percentage, it means that all followup moves after the prorating attack deal damage adjusted by that percentage, so a 70% prorate will reduce all followup damage by 30% in addition to all other damage modifiers.

Dustloop (DL):

A combo that only Sol can perform, and has nothing to do with the actual dust launcher attack. Instead it is a specific air combo using the D button a heck of a lot which loops the same motion over 4 or 5 times. See the Sol forum for specifics. The dustloop has been made inpossible in GGXX/

You mispelled "dash break", it should be 'brake' as it referrs to the brakeing system on a car.

Oh and also:

Tiger knee:

Looking at the command list for every character, you can see that every move they have is broken into a set of direction movements and then a button. Curiously, it is possible to input the right movements, jump and then press the corresponding button to activate the move (Assuming you can perform the move in the air normally). This means that you perform moves that require being in the air very close to the ground, also, it makes for quick overhead moves, which must be blocked high. For example, Eddie's executioner move (236 236 S in the air only) may be performed on the ground with 236 2369 S with the '9' causing you to jump just before you activate the move.

Instant air dash (IAD):

When you press 9 (or 7) what the game actually sees is (8+6), therefore you can use the 6 part of that and press 6 again (Simply, 96), and hey presto, you've just air dashed very close to the ground.

Prorate, proration:

Certain attacks in the game are designed with easy followup comboes in mind (Sol's Hard throw for example). However, to stem their abuse an effect called proration is added to these moves. Quoted as a percentage, it means that all followup moves after the prorating attack deal damage adjusted by that percentage, so a 70% prorate will reduce all followup damage by 30% in addition to all other damage modifiers.

Dustloop (DL):

A combo that only Sol can perform, and has nothing to do with the actual dust launcher attack. Instead it is a specific air combo using the D button a heck of a lot which loops the same motion over 4 or 5 times. See the Sol forum for specifics. The dustloop has been made inpossible in GGXX/

Q) Is there a guilty gear anime?

There is no anime. There is a short promotional video for Guilty Gear X with hilariously memorable voice acting, and there is also the opening movies for GGX2, GGX#R, and GGXXS.

This is completely unnecessary as it is not a gameplay question and already has its own sticky in the Guilty Room.

Q) Is there a guilty gear anime?

There is no anime. There is a short promotional video for Guilty Gear X with hilariously memorable voice acting, and there is also the opening movies for GGX2, GGX#R, and GGXXS.

This is completely unnecessary as it is not a gameplay question and already has its own sticky in the Guilty Room.

Wow, scrubs read stickies?

When did this happen?!?!?

Wow, scrubs read stickies?

When did this happen?!?!?

You should add some shit about Option Selects, you briefly mentioned backwards option selecting but you didn't talk about forward option selecting. I'd explain the difference between blue/yellow bursts, give a brief primer on frames to make them easier to understand, different types of invuln (strike/throw/above foot/above knee, etc), jump installing, taunts/respects f fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

You should add some shit about Option Selects, you briefly mentioned backwards option selecting but you didn't talk about forward option selecting. I'd explain the difference between blue/yellow bursts, give a brief primer on frames to make them easier to understand, different types of invuln (strike/throw/above foot/above knee, etc), jump installing, taunts/respects f fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Understanding attack heights:

There are three different heights at which you can throw an attack and these affect how your opponent is able to block them, depending on if they are airboune, standing or crouching:

Middle (Normal); Most moves fall into this category, these attacks strike at a standard height and may be blocked using a normal or crouching block (assuming you don't crouch under the attack entirely).

Low; a great deal of normal and special moves (And the odd Overdrive) hits low and must be blocked while crouching.

High (Overhead); All standard attacks made while airboune as well as a select few normal and special moves made on the ground, must be blocked high, although it is not uncommon for an overhead move to be unable to hit a crouching character. Generally speaking, overhead moves performed while on the ground tend to have longer startup times that most other moves, most promenantly the dust attack, which is always an overhead (Yes, even Testament's)

Not that some attacks look like they come from the air (Sol's bandit revolver, for instance) but to ensure that there aren't quick and cheap overheads, they hit middle instead.

Exceptions:

If you are on the ground and you attack your opponent while they are airbounce, they MUST use faultless defense in order to block it.

Any kind of block may be used against projectiles and Instant kill moves (Except Zappa's and May's, which are command throws).

What does it mean to punish a move?

Punishing your opponent's moves is when you attack your opponent when they're recovering from a move, usually because they've performed a move expecting it to hit, but you've managed to block it and your block stun is shorter than their move's recovery time (If you do or don't depends on a number of factors). Also, whiffing a move entirely is often punished by human players. If you sense that you're about to get punsihed for a move all is not lost, it still may be possible to RC (Or FRC if your move has such a point). This can lead to certain reverse punishment situations which are best described by an example:

Let's say Slayer gets a little cocky and decides to pull out his trusty "Dead on time" (632146 S) out of the blue. Ky easily sees this coming and blocks, and at the same time inputs 632146, ready to use ride the lighting as punishment. Slayer, suddenly seeing how stupid he was, decides to roman cancel his move the moment it hits the block (That's a full tension bar gone now) and decides to block himself. Ky doesn't see the cancel in time and starts his ride the lightning, sailing right into Slayer's block, Ky then feels his chin meet the upside of Slayer's fist, launching him spiralling into the air where he promplty gets a beating for his lack of attention..

Sign in to follow this