Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

General Gameplay Questions Thread - POST YOUR GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS HERE

thats kinda what i thought honestly... however some players will turtle like a bad sf2 guile, i hear.. and to me thats really dumb, that is what i was asking about.

i know you should block sometimes in order to preserve health in certain situations-thats fighting 101, in the real or virtual world, lol.:keke:

GG is an extremely matchup-specific game. Every character in GG has okizeme (wake-up game) to some degree and will stay on the opponent when they are knocked down (almost always), the main difference between the heavier rushdown characters and the more zoning characters is whether they have tools to keep pushing once they get that advantage or whether they have to back off because there will be holes in their pressure easily escaped or the risk/reward of getting back in is not in their favor.

The flow of a GG match changes a lot depending on the level played as well, top players will abuse any opportunity to escape with IB->1f jump, or know exactly when they can or can't option select throws in the opponent's attempted pressure. Most characters have moves with specific hitboxes or speed that directly counters weaker pressure (Slayer 2H comes to mind). This forces the characters with fewer rushdown options to resort to airthrows, baiting throws or whiffs to get back in, and playing more of a contain game than a rushdown game (when they have no meter). GG is a game you must block in or you will get punished all day by anyone half decent, being disrespectful of the opponent's options (in most situations) may work a few times, but won't help you improve and will get you killed.

Why would you want to turtle constantly (like sf2 guile) in Guilty Gear? I mean, it's obvious if you are using a counter character like Baiken, who's moves stem from block;but with so many offensive options and the meter penalty put on you for turtling-it doesn't seem very viable (except in short spurts).

It just isn't a good idea to adopt turtling as your main defensive strategy for any character in GG. The guard bar has a lot to do with this: the more you block, the more damage the next combo does. Think of your health bar as money you wager against your opponent. The exact value you're willing to lose is dictated by your opponent's ability to execute combos, among other things. By turtling you let them crank your guard gauge, which, in this analogy, increases the amount you're wagering.

Also, some characters actually gain throw combos when they counterhit, which can only happen when the other person's guard gauge is flashing. Basically, if you just sit there blocking, throws become extra effective after a point.

Not really an important 'OMFG I MUST KNOWS' question, but I'm curious what move gives the most frame advantage in the game.

From what I've read so far, it appears to be OS's lvl.3 236 P. FRC'd, it apparently has +46.

Are there any higher then that? I kinda doubt it, but it'd be awesome if there was.

Everyone always forgets about LOLFRC Far Drill from Eddie. Shit is +80 something allowing you to make an unblockable.

Hey, I'm kind of new here, and I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but I only have GGXX and I was wondering if there was any FAQ or guide or something to get me started on GGXX because it looks like the general game version being discussed is GGXX:AC.

Millia is pretty accessible without particularly tough technical demands. She's one of the few characters you can actually play well without any ability to FRC at all (as she's one of the few who doesn't have an absolutely mandatory FRC point in one of her basic combos or something) and probably the only character in the cast (except maybe Slayer) you can play without FRCs or the ability to do a dragon punch motion.

Testament, on the other hand, is pretty advanced.

Hey, I'm kind of new here, and I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but I only have GGXX and I was wondering if there was any FAQ or guide or something to get me started on GGXX because it looks like the general game version being discussed is GGXX:AC.

in the stickied FAQ thread in this section of the forum, there's a link to the GGXX version of the current Guide we have, and that's the best place to go to read up on the game's mechanics.

anyways since i already found it i'll just post it here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050306060047re_/www.gamecombos.com/games/ggxx/

How technically demanding are Millia and Testament compared to the rest of the cast?

Uh, wait.

You're talking GGAC? Because the thing the guy who answered you said is completely untrue in GGAC. Millia's combos, while not requiring FRCs per se, are also absurdly character-specific, and keeping up the fast pace that competitive millia needs requires a good degree of technical ability. Testament was hard in previous versions, but EXE FRC isn't that terrible, and TKing a quarter circle is hardly a tough thing to do in combos. On a purely technical level, Millia is much harder than Testament in AC.

Yeah I saw that post about Millia not being technically demanding but then my balls got itchy or something and I didn't respond. Good thing we have girls like Digital Watches who are more meticulous with getting their shit down straight.

Testament has like...some tough stuff but it won't come until you're really a high level player anyways. Building yourself up to be at least a decent testament player is much easier than doing so with Millia.

Uh, wait.

You're talking GGAC? Because the thing the guy who answered you said is completely untrue in GGAC. Millia's combos, while not requiring FRCs per se, are also absurdly character-specific, and keeping up the fast pace that competitive millia needs requires a good degree of technical ability. Testament was hard in previous versions, but EXE FRC isn't that terrible, and TKing a quarter circle is hardly a tough thing to do in combos. On a purely technical level, Millia is much harder than Testament in AC.

I agree with watches. If you're looking into learning to play one of them well and are sort of new I'd recommend Testament over Millia. Millia demands that you as a player have fast, reliable execution and reaction speed and mix your opponent up. Testament just requires that you have reliable execution and can get a read on your opponent.

I don't understand why people consider frc's very difficult. I've found that you can reliably do them as long as you figure out what point in the animation of the move the frc is. Zappa's ghost frc is right as his hand first reaches above his head, just before he would his hand in that position. Baiken's air mat frc is right before her foot would hit the mat. Ky's charge stun edge is just as the white orb he summons would turn into the projectile (it took me a while to realize that he summons an orb that turns into charge stun edge). Sol's is right as he sticks his sword in the ground. I found all these just by trying to do them and when I started hitting them in training mode, I would look for the point in the animation just before the frc cancelled the rest of the animation. It's actually pretty easy to hit a point in the animation instead of just having to match the blue flashes (I didn't know that the blue flashes meant anything at first. They aren't that helpful for me).

you guys are breaking my heart, Millia is the character I've always wanted to use so I was pretty happy to hear that she's apparently not too rough execution-wise. Not that I'd normally mind, but Wisconsin isn't exactly a wonderland of GG competition and I'm not too desperate to put a ton of time into the game when I could focus on stuff that has online.

Anyway, thanks for clearing things up, I might consider Testament should I actually become motivated enough to pick the game up.

Can someone plz tell me what the GGX mode is when you pick your character in AC? Also, with the ex modes, are they banned in tournaments at all? or are they just different sets of moves?

Guilty Gear is NOT like other fighting games that utilize a groove system. (A close example is Melty Blood Actress Again, that sports multiple movesets for each character)

Although you have other game/character modes available, they are just for fun, and officially they are unavailable for competitive play.

You'll find that people will scoff at you if you want to main an ex-character, for example. This is not without good reason.

GG and GGX mode approximates what the general engine/gameplay/balance was like in Guilty Gear/Guilty Gear X, before all the changes in XX and beyond. Like...you can't Faultless/Fortress/however we're Romanizing it today in GG mode because that hadn't been invented yet, I think. And, uh, other things. I don't really remember what the GGX-specific changes are, though.

This does not apply to EX Slayer.

This man speaks truth.

I wonder where our dear EX Slayer drifted off too? Hasn't been seen around in some time :psyduck:

does anyone remember how to do that glitch with zappa where you can get 2 ghosts at once

i know it only works against potemkin, johnny, and slayer

also it'd be awesome if someone could tell me how to do that stored clean hit glitch

For stored clean-hit glitch, I think you just have to have a sidewinder that would've hit for a clean-hit be blocked. (then RC so you don't get punished)

Nah. You can only tech a throw if you were thrown in a situation where you yourself could throw.

Sign in to follow this