Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RedBeard

[AC] Johnny Video Links/Video Discussion

I know sometimes DC is super reckless about how he places his moves but they are a lot more precise than they come off to be. The reason he is so revered as a Johnny player is because he is one of the very few Johnny players that can win consistently without coins. I learned so much from DC in learning to play with Johnny it is pretty scary. You would be surprised how much the people I know actually think of me as dangerous as I was even without my coins now. I think Suzume is godly, and I think he is more of a practical playstyle. But there are a lot of things to learn when you start to understand DCs mindset. I think the best way to understand what is practical is truly understanding what is unothrodox, personal opinion. Though all and all my playstyle more resmebles Jonio honestly out of all the people that play with Johnny. Didn't fashion it that way it just turned out that way.

Yeah, DC has proven himself as a threatening Johnny player with his style. Suzume Jonio and Bleed all have their own slightly different variations of playing, DC is obviously the more threatening JO if you took coins away from all four of them, and learning what he does without coins is useful in alot of situations. Its sad that theres so much behind Johnny and theres so many ways he can be played. I honestly dont think anyone will ever be able to tap into Johnnys full potential though. Imagine a Johnny with Suzumes pressure, bleed and jonios sets of tricks, and DCs ability to fight without coins being a true crutch. They all pull a different set of excellent options from Johnny, and everyone has an opinion on why one of them messed up in a fight and why another Johnny would have done better in the given situation.

Yeah, DC has proven himself as a threatening Johnny player with his style. Suzume Jonio and Bleed all have their own slightly different variations of playing, DC is obviously the more threatening JO if you took coins away from all four of them, and learning what he does without coins is useful in alot of situations. Its sad that theres so much behind Johnny and theres so many ways he can be played. I honestly dont think anyone will ever be able to tap into Johnnys full potential though. Imagine a Johnny with Suzumes pressure, bleed and jonios sets of tricks, and DCs ability to fight without coins being a true crutch. They all pull a different set of excellent options from Johnny, and everyone has an opinion on why one of them messed up in a fight and why another Johnny would have done better in the given situation.

I completely agree and just mentioning that about Johnny's potential is why its so hard for me to put him down no matter how many times I may lose to a "just decent" Slayer, May, Baiken or Pot players. I play with him hoping that I could incorporate as many as styles in my play without compromising my own style, to make the cohesive mixture. Even though its frustrating, I love being able to come back and destroying the same person that took me out on a fluke. Its a damn shame what they have done to Johnny, my only hope being that they just put his mist recovery back to the good ol' Slash days, some compensation for having to use Tension for Jackhound, and maybe a "not-as-risky" overhead wouldn't hurt either. Let's for the next game that they fuck around and give him too much. Until then though, I'll be in the lab, or taking people out that underestimate him.

I love it when I go to tournaments and pick Johnny and everyone's reaction afterwards. I once heard a Ky player that lost to me say to his crew that he "didn't know what the fuck to do" against Johnny. If anything, we certainly have the element of surprise/uncertainty in our favor against the endless waves of Eddies, Slayers, Mays and Temkins.

I love it when I go to tournaments and pick Johnny and everyone's reaction afterwards. I once heard a Ky player that lost to me say to his crew that he "didn't know what the fuck to do" against Johnny. If anything, we certainly have the element of surprise/uncertainty in our favor against the endless waves of Eddies, Slayers, Mays and Temkins.

norcal is almost nothing but mays and slayers, so a johnny main stands out pretty well around here (especially when he's the one guy at the gathering using a pad and always picks the pink outfit).

it's hard to gauge where i place relative to the rest of my area though. it seems to me like i'm in the middle tier of players; i beast on people who suck and better players who don't know this matchup, but i lose to most people who have an idea as to what to do against me (and sometimes against mediocre players who pick a character i don't know how to fight against).

to date, i have never played a good potemkin player. :eng101:

But there are a lot of things to learn when you start to understand DCs mindset. I think the best way to understand what is practical is truly understanding what is unothrodox, personal opinion.

Since im friends with DC, it would be fun t know what you actually think his mindset is :keke:

Since im friends with DC, it would be fun t know what you actually think his mindset is :keke:

Really? Wow this is an interesting development. I think DC's goal in his matches is to scare his opponent into blocking, (with his signature coin-spam pressure that we all have come to know) jack up that guard guage and deal massive amounts of damage once he scores a successful mixup. Once out of coins, then he resorts to heavy mindgames so that he can maybe land a lvl2 Jackhound and pull off a win. That's my two cents, but of course I might be completely off base. Tell DC I said 'what's up!' and that I think he's a talented Johnny player; I really enjoying watching him play.

When someone goes against DC they are already mindfucked. He could probably just throw one or two coins and get the same reaction as throwing 5 or 6.

"In the Guilty Gear anime, what would Johnny do?"

Cocky, flashy, impractical

And uh something about Doraemon?

Only half kidding :v:

To Shinjin, if you really talk to DC; tell him that for me, watching his matches are like watching a car wreck. Mainly because he throws coins when his opponent is on the other side of the screen. Towards the end of the match I'm always thinking "I bet you wish you had those coins you wasted." Two questions, though I'm not really expecting a response. Does he intentionally handicap himself by throwing away all his coins? And why does R.F act like he does when he fights DC?

Hey guys. Long time no post! Uhh, apparently there are some matches of my casual play up on youtube from last weekend. Figured you guys may be interested in checking them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGfnfqRglm0&feature=channel_page

On the right there's a bunch more. Feel free to have a look, lol. ;D Mist Cancer. As MCR would say "Black beat is black."

Trying to boost my game a little, and need some tips etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD9ccFOZGvw

would love some feedback

Sry there is no sound tho =/

Hey, I'm bored so I'll throw some feedback your way. Although it is one match and I really won't be able to get a good grasp of your habits but uh, we'll see how this goes. At the start you air-dashed at Sol! You wanna die or something? lol. That's prime VV position. You're lucky he air-dashed back, haha. Sol players tend to start the match with a 5S. My advice would be to defend at the start but I am a stickler for trying to take the match as soon as it gets started. If you want, you can beat Sol's 5S with a 2P. Though you won't be able to follow up with anything. Maybe you can dash and throw while they are confused that you actually beat their (supposedly safe) 5S at the start of the match. If you would have started the match with a 6K, you would have had a good start but don't sweat it. 6K is really risky unless you believe you can read minds. Since he air-dashed backwards, he wouldn't have any tension to FD even if he wanted. Might want to keep this in mind against any character you fight. Air dash back = Free 6K. Most of the time. Anyway! When Sol knocks you down, get ready for the fun part. His jumping mix-up is too good, especially against Johnny because Johnny has no real wake up game. My advice is to try to block and keep the panic to a minimum, lol. FDing Sol's rush down works pretty well since he has to get in so close to begin with and you're just pushing him off of you which means he'll just have to work more or have to start throwing out command grabs to keep you from FDing. But back to your play-style.. ouch. Jackhound right into gunflame for a Sidewinder loop combo. Not a good look. I honestly don't feel Jackhound fits the SO/JO match-up. There have been very few times where I've been able to pull off landing this move outside of a random ground combo. Sorry, I'm just critiquing as I go along, lol. I am LOVING that one hit ensenga you pulled off in the corner off of a coin > 6K though. Fucking awesome. Good shit there. That'll teach Sol not to install dragons. ..VV. Ouch. lol. See? 5S at the start. D: 2P that shit for confusion. Defend to be safe, though. If you wanna be safe. Haha, I caught a little problem, too. You tried to do 6K like 3 times in a row. Third time you FRC'd. It did land you a combo but you might want to not repeat the same move over and over. Your opponent may catch on and punish you royally for it. Be careful. At 1:59, you could have 6HS > Jackhound or something to keep the combo going instead of going for a coin. You might want to work on watching when your opponent is crouching-- you'll be able to land a 6HS most of the time. If your opponent is crouching and you go for a mid-mist finer, you'll probably whiff right over their head. That shit has happened to me plenty of times. You counter hit his VV! But the follow up was kinda.. bad, lol. It's okay though since you still won the match! ;D Oh no, now you jumped backwards instead. It seems like you really panicked that last round. Don't lose your cool-- if you lose your cool while playing Johnny, then you aren't really playing Johnny. You always have to be cool. One thing I noticed is that you bursted pretty early in your matches. It's difficult to choose a safe way to burst on Sol, I can barely think of any off the top of my head. Try to keep an eye on your burst and the situation you're in. Don't burst right away! That's really all the advice I can give you for now. If you had a small batch of vids or something then it'd be easier to get in your head and see what you're trying to do. Hope this advice helps you out. Don't get discouraged! Just get better. ;D

Edit: Whoah, I typed a lot. lol.

Edit #2: Uhh, now that I realize.. this post would have been more useful to you what, 25 days ago? lol. Good games.

Nattak: You should be playing more of a ground game VS Sol. Let him be the one to go to the air. That Sol LOVES air dashing in on you, put a stop to it if you can or block it. Remember that MFM lvl 1 can stop gunflame cold, lvl 2 will net you a combo in some places... threaten him with it when you can. Also, be more careful when closing the distance on Sol. I don't know if you were going for throw or what, but sometimes dashing in is like saying "Please hit me."

Jo: First off, props for the 2D MC combos. However, I would say you're a little over zealous with the 5HS, MC, f.S sometimes, take your damage and skip the MC combos if you're not landing them that day/match. The main thing that I think I can tell you is to know when your coins are going to connect. I saw you throw at Slayer when he was WAAAY to far up/far away for a coin. And don't be afraid to hit people with lvl 1 MFM, don't give away that little bit of damage for a MC all the time. It does add up and it forces close range characters to come to you. Making them come to you is great since this is one of the areas Johnny excels at (vs characters like Sol or Slayer, obviously).

lol, well thanks for the input. I was kinda just posting the videos just to contribute to the thread. I don't mind the criticism at all but I'm pretty sure I know what I have to work on (aka combos, everything in general) to cement my style. I don't know how many of my videos you saw but uh, yeah. I love to mist cancel. It's just fun. Thanks again though. ;D

here's some recent casuals of mine from 36:15 to the end.

the guy i was playing is easily the best ky i've ever faced, and quite possibly the best all-around player i've ever faced. we played way more matches than what was recorded, but this is a pretty accurate sample of what our matches typically consist of. the only thing that i got better about towards the end of the day was blocking 5D and predicting when he'd use greed sever (but i still got hit by both of them pretty frequently).

don't ask me why, but i was going crazy with my ensengas that day (and faultless as well).

enjoy.

good games. although i did spot some nasty habits while watching through the first 2 games. some instances where u did iad k and always get CH'd by the 6p. Its probably best to have ur fd ready anytime u are in the air. Ky's j.k and 6p owns u for free. instead of doing a k u can mix it up with some divine blade to punish his 6p attempts. lo that's a lot of ensenga spam especially in the 2nd game. Got him a couple times but its shouldnt be something to rely on heavily unless u know its gonna hit so at the very least if he blocked u can rc. u can probably use j.s to bait him then hit-confirm to ensenga. after the one-hit u were way too close for 3hs to be effective. in that case a meaty 2s would have done the job like 4r5 had mentioned in the previous thread. watch ur position when u use coins, ky can just stundipper over that...or mabe next time u can try baiting for that stundipper..ie 5k,s,hs mc...block instead of using coin to press-in. generally work on ur block i guess.. getting hit by a standalone charged stun edge into death combo wasnt too cool :X play around in the training mode and familiarize urself with ky's overheads: greed sever and 5d. After u block a greedsever u can really make Ky think twice about doing it as hes in crouch recovery and asking for a nice f.s 6hs jackhound loop.

Well it's been a while, but I've got some new casuals with my group up. I should warn however: I'm rusty. Ever since Street Fighter IV came out, well...you know. I really haven't been keeping up my regular execution training. So excuse all the dropped air combos, misinputs etc. I'm gonna take this as a revision so feel free to comment as you've been doing so I can remember what it was I needed to work on.

bacon (OS) vs killerwatt (JO)

bacon (OS) vs killerwatt (JO) 2

pewter (SL) vs killerwatt (JO)

SL continues to be a hard match for me...

Anyway, back to training mode.

i only saw the slayer vid, since i figured that'd be the one worth watching. as you probably already know, your combos need a bit of work. i almost cried when you punished that blocked bbu with a CH f.S and dropped the combo. i don't mean to get on you for dropping combos (since everyone does it), but that was an opportunity you really didn't want to miss. i noticed you fell for the dash -> throw on wakeup gimmick a few times. an easy way to beat this is to just keep 4H ready as soon as you see him dash; this way you can guard against a 6K and be prepared to break his throw if needed. last bit of advice is just to get familiar with slayer's moveset a bit. see how every move hits and try to find things that can punish them.

hi kill,

i watched ur hos vs jo match and heres some quick feedback.

the hos player isnt doing a lot of anti-air and doesnt seem to block in air.. there were so many times he could have knocked you straight out with a 5hs or stormed viper. perhaps u can point that out to him so u'll both benefit in the long run.

-saw some good zoning with mist finers.. going back and forth and releasing it the very last moment can work fairly well as a preempted anti-air.

-also saw some 5k and 5hs zoning.. altho 5k is good against hos u need to delay it instead of spamming it hoping he'll run into it... which he did...so i guess that kinda worked out but just something to keep in mind.

-aside from the general tips (practise those MC religiously and hit-confirm those CHs!!, dont drop ur lvl2 combos... make those count!!) these are something u might wanna work on toward the next meet:

• vary ur strings more. this is something i am working on too.. try to mix it up with 5k 2s 5hs or 2k c.s 2k 2d or wutever... dont be so repetitive with ur strings ( i think i saw mostly 5k hs). as you are still learning ur MC it might be a good idea to coin cancel for the time being til u get those MC down pat.

• dont jump-in with a solo j.k pls...its not safe (very low hit-stun) and it can be CH easily. try gattling it into a p if u are doing late jump-ins to stay safe ie j.pkp or j.kps continue gattling on the ground. U can also try using j.HS to score some nasty CH staggers but since it comes out slower u need to time it well.

• random kjfrc is good sometimes...but dont always do js rit after as it'll whiff since kjfrc take u higher in air and u are mostly using it against a grounded hos...try replacing it with j.hs to continue ur pressure when u land. ie.. kjfrc j.hs ensenga rc into combo or.. delayed kjfrc j.hs low hit/throw.

thats all for now. good luck with ur training and i hope to see some more vids soon :)

You can jump in with a j.k by itself if and only if you follow it up with js (land) 5k then level 2 combo or whatever you want. But that has to be on airdash. Not sure how safe it is on more knowledgable opponents but it's good to know

the main idea is that jk itself doesnt have enough hitstun so to keep ur opponent block u must gattle it.. whether it be the j.s stuff Raijin has mentioned or the punch kick chains.

If it hits, you get a sweetass combo though, and it's your best option for comboing from a low airdash but yeah, JOFan is right

Thanks for all the tips guys. I'm gonna try and break my SFIV addiction soon to get in some GG training. Me and the group should start uploading more often as those in school will soon be out so keep an eye out. Thanks again!

Alright, here's some videos of some games I had a while ago. My joystick was busted by that time so for these games I'm borrowing someone else's stick. Mostly it's just against millia, but I dunno if I faced any other characters that day that got recorded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl75ZwdP4Tg&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9Iv6zlEUPE&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXEEYzQ9HAw&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxD7E-vmxU&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoCVvNEXhKY&feature=channel_page

Please give some constructive feedback if possible, I really need help dealing with fast characters as Johnny:vbang:. There's also some videos of me playing as Jam from the user's channel if anyone cares...