Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JulianKPrime

Wishmere - out now

Hey everyone. I'm Julian from Crayder Studios and we're working on a new fighting game for the PC, Mac and Linux, called Wishmere. Wishmere is something of a love-letter to the fighting game genre: it's got elements of Street Fighter 2, Blazblue, Guilty Gear and Smash. We wanted to have a game that was slower paced that GG / BB, had the lower barrier to entry like Smash and to have some traditional fighting game sensibilities.

Quick info:

• 9 characters, with their own Edge system: Edge works similar to Drive from Blazblue but they're always resource-based (count based like CS Hazama or gauge based like Valk)
  • Fate system: a gauge that once filled, can be used to slow time for a few seconds or used to burst out of attacks
  • Online coming soon: Online is a focus for us, as we know its very important. We'll be using a rollback system for online. Unfortunately we couldn't use GGPO as we're developing on Unity :(
  • Smash similarities: easy execution of moves and up to 4 players simultaneously. So we wanted to help answer the issues of newcomers of the genre – 1) execution of moves and 2) fighting games always being 1v1. It's a little different than the usual fighter, but hopefully the nuances make sense. Plus point: is that this does open up the possibility of co-op with friends against hordes of AI-controlled enemies.
  • Wishmere was originally a beat-em-up fighting game hybrid, but we found that the multi-plane aspect of a beat-em-up was largely hampering for the demands of a faster combat based game. So we're making changes to the system and will be rolling out the new version on Steam soon.

Gameplay and Character Trailers:

1v1 Versus Gameplay 

Spoiler

Character Trailers

Co-Op Gameplay (an extra mode to play co-op with friends against enemy AI, up to 4 players)

The game is out, so do check it out on Steam if you think you might be interested. Thanks!

The huge update for Wishmere is out! Check out the trailer above and do pick it up at 30% off from Steam, Humble Store or itch.io. If you've got any comments or questions, do throw them my way and I'll happily answer them. 

We've tried hard to bring some high octane energy and depth to the game, while trying to keep it low barrier-to-entry for those new to the genre. The co-op mode might be a good way for newer players to 'learn hands-on', without feeling overwhelmed. 

Lots of new things coming for our next update (such as 2 new characters), as we get closer to the final product of Wishmere. 

Been working on some changes to the background (changing the perspective). Here's a quick match video to showcase one of the new backgrounds revamps and some more gameplay!

Let me know what you guys think!

2 new characters added to the latest build! Check them out:

A few holiday themed bits added (character colors) and a bunch of other content. You can get Wishmere on 30% off for the Winter Sale on Steam.

Happy holidays to everyone!

You need some hitstop dude.  Makes the game easier to follow for both players and audience.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I totally agree with you.

There is hitstop in the attacks (besides throws, which is wrong) but it is very, very slight. I'm going to increase the hitstop time on all attacks for all characters, hopefully it'll add some impact to the attacks and make it easier to follow the action. Thanks again.

Still experimenting with the longer hitstops as suggested, but for now we've added the final character to the game. He's the main antagonist in the game going by the name of 'Doubt'. He's a character that excels in space control and space manipulation.

Added in a Tutorial Mode to the game too. It goes into all the system elements of the game. We're looking to getting a free playable demo out there in a month.

Doubt looks really cool, reminds me alot of Hilda. I agree about the hitstop though, it'd really help alot, its hard to tell whats happening sometimes and alot of attacks lack impact.

Can't wait for the demo! This game has alot of potential and I'm looking forward to the end product :).

Thank you very much for the nice words, Akiro! As a two-man team, working on this game for about 1 year and a half is a huge undertaking. Constructive criticism helps the game, and comments keep us motivated, so thanks for that. 

We'll be releasing a short video to show you guys the new hitstop timing soon, just to see if it's up to par with expectations! We used Blazblue and Guilty Gear Xrd as a benchmark for timing, so hopefully we've made action more legible and attacks have more impact.

We'll also keep this thread updated for when the demo drops. :)

We're back with a short video on the new hitstop. Check it out!:

The revised hitstop is based off of Guilty Gear Xrd. We had it playing side by side and tried to match it as much as we could. Similar to Xrd, different attack strengths have different hitstops and different moves have more impact (hence more hitstop) than others. 

What do you guys think? Needs to be longer or is it just nice? Do let me know if you're giving the thread a peek!

I think it would have been a better video if you'd done the same combo both times. We only see 3 or so hits with the new hitstop. If you could show a longer string of hits, or maybe even an actual match with the hitstop, that'd be enough to form an opinion, but not what's here.

That's a very fair point! It's a little hard to tell from a few seconds worth of video. So, we're currently working on implementing it across a few characters so we can put together a match video with the new hitstop. We should be able to put it together within the next couple of days. 

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys. Looking forward to showing you the upcoming match video.

After implementing the new hitstop to all characters and attacks, here's a look at the new hitstop in a full match:

Every light attack has a shorter hitstop, hard attacks and special moves have a longer hitstop. Some certain moves that we wanted to have more of an impact have a much longer hitstop.

How does it look to you guys? Do let me know if you think something is off!

Wishmere is almost done! QA and extra unlockables to go... whew. Here's a recent match my teammate and I played:

Good news: we've just released the free demo for Wishmere on Steam! You can get it on the Steam store page (just look on the right column where it says "Download Demo"). The demo version has: 1 playable character (with all 13 colors), Versus Mode (2 stages available), Training Mode, Tutorial Mode and 2 challenge maps.

Do let me know if you've got any feedback!

Wishmere is complete! The game is finally done and is set to be released (PC, Mac and Linux) on September 26!

If you're interested, you can pick it up from our Steam store or Humble store. You can try out the free demo on Steam if you're unsure if this is a game for you. :)

As of today, Wishmere is released! We've got a bunch of modes and lots of influences from fighting games (especially Guilty Gear), so do check it out if you're interested.

Here's some highlights of the matches my teammate and I played.

Do let me know what you guys think!