Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

solidscheme

Come here for Susanoo Fundamentals

Susan Art Banner.jpg

Hello everyone!

In this post I will be giving you my step-by-step instruction on how I've approached the new and improved villain in town, Susanoo. Don't ever take anything giving here as the final word. Always experiment (like a scientist) and find out what works for you, but this is how I've started learning how to play with this unorthodox character.

From The Roots To The Top Of The Tree

What I always do when learning a new character that fits my play-style (which is very important) is to think of why the character was created in the first place. What was on the mind of the designers when they created all of the moves and movement options that the character has? What I'll be focusing on in this particular post are his start-of-the-match tools for combat: His normal attacks and Drive gauge familiarity.

Ok, I start by just focusing on the character's normal attacks to see how they can be used in battle from a general standpoint. Lets look at Susanoo's normal attacks in detail:

Note: Current frame data for Susanoo can be found here: http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/BBCF/Susanoo

I'll be using the numeric keypad for notations and from the 1st player (left) side.

5A

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_5A.png

I've tested it out and imo 5A has good range and hits even the shortest characters. It also has + frames on block. Two cons to it though are that it's slower than average (6 frames of start-up being average, while his being 8 frames) and it doesn't chain into itself. Jump-cancellable.

2A

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_2A.png

2A has about the same range as 5A, but it's faster by a frame and chains into itself and 5B. 2A CAN be blocked standing (what in the world).

789A

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_jA.png

789A is a downward attack with short range and about the same startup as 2A. From testing, it didn't seem very good for dry jump-ins. Seems more for when the opponent is jumping at you from close range and they're below you. It also chains into itself. Jump-cancellable. Can cross-up opponent and the best time to use it..

6A

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_6A.png

6A is a very quick full-screen projectile attack that nullifies other normal single-hitting projectiles (very important to know). A really good attack from mid and far screen. Has some recovery on it so you have to be careful of the distance and watch out for instant air dashes over it. Opponents with bad neutral tools will have to take to the air because of this (AND other things...).

5B

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_5B.png

Man, Terumi has a tail. Anyway, 5B is one of Susa's best normals. It has really good reach (can hit the opponent at the starting position of the match) and decent speed. To be even more specific, it's a good footsie tool against Ragna's 5B. It's slightly slower, but has more reach. So you can stay just out of his 5B range and counter-hit him after his attack. 5B chains into 5C, 2C, 3C and all grounded D attacks except 6D. Special-cancelable and Jump-cancellable.

2B

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_2B.png

2B has a little less range than 5B (it's hitbox is his hand and not the dark energy around it). Chains into 5B, 5C, 2C, 3C and is special-cancellable. This move can also be blocked high (Arc?).

789B

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_jB.png

This move has a downward hitbox like 789A, but it has more reach and the hitbox has a bit more horizontal action. Seems to serve the same purpose as 789A, but can be used to instant air dash in chained with 789A or land and use 5A. Jump-cancellable.

6B

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_6B.png

This move is a two-hit attack with dem elbows. Has + frames, but doesn't chain from weaker attacks and chains into 3C on the last hit. Chains into 2D, 4D and 5D on both hits. Both hits are special-cancellable.

5C

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_5C.png

A very slow move. Use only in chains and juggles. Jump-cancellable. Chains into 2D, 5D, 4D and 2C.

2C

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_2C.png

A two-hit attack. Both hits are special-cancellable. Can be use as anti-air if Towering Flame isn't available and also used for juggle combos. Can chain in to 2D,4D and 5D. Jump-cancellable on second hit.

789C

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_jC.png

This move is really good for surprise instant air dashes and for air defense from a straight up or backwards jump. It hits two times if done high enough and covers the whole front of the body. Both hits are Jump-cancellable. Can also be canceled into air Hunter's Fang. From what I've been told, this can be used for safe jump-ins. 

6C

121px-BBCF_Susanoo_6C.png

6C is an overhead. Chains into his D attacks only. It's special-cancellable. You can try it after 5A or 2A, but there's a gap so be aware.

3C

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_3C.png

Another two-hit attack. Both hits are special-cancellable. This one actually must be blocked low (finally).

Note: All D attacks (besides 4D) will unlock specials as long as they touch the opponent. All D attacks (besides 4D) are special-cancellable on a clean hit.

5D

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_5D.png

A palm thrust. Hits mid. This is the only Drive move that can be canceled on block.

2D

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_2D.png

A low swipe. Must be blocked low (Yay! Another one for us!).

789D

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_jD.png

Very short range. Use in combos and to cross-up the opponent because the hitbox is completely around him.

6D

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_6D.png

An extremely fast overhead. Mix it up with 3C.

4D

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_4D.png

The roar. He doesn't attack, but unlocks specials without having to touch the opponent. Use blocked/hit 6As to select specials and use 4D to unlock.

Unlocking The Flavor

When I saw Susa's gauge, I was like "what in the world am I suppose to do with that?" Well, after sitting down for a while and thinking about it, I think I have a better understanding of it. Our job as Susa players is to know that crazy gauge like our first and last names (from both side of the screen by the way). I always try to make something difficult into something really understandable. I do this by finding something similar. What did I find? Ok, check this out: A convenience machine. That's right, I picture the Drive gauge (Divine Warrior gauge) as a snack machine.

Once again, going back to why the designers made him the way they did, I see they're allowing each individual to pick which snacks they want to buy and eat. Obviously there will be snacks that are a high priority and those snacks are: Towering Flame and Blade of Judgment. It is up to you to decide what else you really want to do within the game system. I will finally and quickly go through the snacks in order with a quick summary:

1. Sundering Claws (326A)

168px-BBCF_Susanoo_SunderingClaws.png

You already have this snack, but it can get sweeter for more range and combo assistance. Doesn't seem to gain any + frames from what I can tell even at higher levels.

2. Towering Flame (623C)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_ToweringFlame.png

One of the most delicious snacks. Keeps all the ground and air nonsense in check. Can also be used in juggles. Has some recovery, so be aware of that. Also take heed to do it as late as possible to get the invincible frames and to make contact with it's hitbox.

3. Megalith (214A)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_Megalith.png

Three words: Frame-trap pressure. I got more words though: Can negate single-hit projectiles as well. level 2 can fatal counter and level 3 guard crushes. Can connect 6B after a clean level 3 hit. Each level increases in + frames.

4. Hunter's Fang (214B)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_HuntersFang.png

Use in high/low mix-ups. The air version can be blocked crouching (dang it Arc!!). Level 2 has an effect with the energy that must be blocked.

5. Dancing Duel Kick (236B)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_DancingDualKick.png

Used to chase down recovery/whiff mistakes from full-screen and set up corner combos. Can Jump-cancel after the kick. This must be blocked low.

6. Inevitable Calamity (Tap C rapidly)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_InevitableCalamity.png

The ultimate I don't care about your projectile move. That goes for both normal and distortions. The tapping of C is really weird and would be better (quicker) as a command motion. Can be used in combos/juggles. Does serious chip damage.

7. Splintering Thrust (63214C)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_SplinteringThrust.png

To opponent: Well, you've been blocking good up to this point. Unblockable and a mix-up tool that gets your opponent to corner in a hurry. The starting animation looks exactly like the pause that comes from his dash.

8. Blade of Judgment (236D)

175px-BBCF_Susanoo_BladeOfJudgement.png

"As I release Excalibur from it's stone!" Once you unlocked this other goodie, your neutral becomes almost untouchable. To the point the opponent will be jumping around like a bunny rabbit just to avoid it. That's because it almost reaches full-screen and is almost as fast as 6A. Really good in combos for a couple of loops (in the corner) as well.

A Scientist's Theory

From seeing everything he has and testing it all in every way possible (that I could think of), I've come to this conclusion: Susa is to be played like a more patient and defensive Hakumen while methodically unlocking snacks. He can certainly wait around because his damage after getting a few things to eat is extremely good. he doesn't have the tools to rush down right away, but that shouldn't stop you from taking advantage of an opponent's mistakes. Having only level 1 Sundering Claws available, a smart opponent will try to rush you down to stop you from buying any snacks. They'll be Taking to the air as a way to avoid getting caught in your 6A>4D block strings/combos so be aware of that. Your job is to remember where the indicator is at and use the right combo to unlock what you need. Learn Drive combos that have 2-hits, 3-hits, 4-hits and all the way to 8-hits so you can unlock whatever from any 0 indicator position. It would make things a lot easier if you reset the indicator to zero (nothing selected) so your combo routes are consistent (unless you are near what you need). Don't be afraid to do dry-drive unlocks (4D alone) as well. There will be times where the opponent will stop you from reaching a certain snack through burst and counter assaults (or from just regular zoning) . So in those situations, just take what you can get. LEARN how to use every single special he has to the best of your ability because once again, you'll not always be able to get what you want. Improvising of the spot will be key.

I'll be in this specific forum all the time, so stop by any time you like. I'll be posting whenever new info on Susa comes out. If you have any tips on how to approach Susa, I would love to share knowledge. We can all grow together and be the best we can through unity.  

See everyone later and have fun finding what snacks work for your play-style.

couple things you should add/fix.

5a, 2a, 5b, 2b, and 2c all gatling into 2d and 6d on block and hit. VERY imortant for mix up.

j.b reverse gatlings to j.a on hit or block which, in my experience is a better jump in than j.c or j.b j.c since the cancel timing is very generous and allows you to correct the height by delaying it

6b can cancel into 3c on both hits. it also gatlings to 6c

6c. forgot to mention its short range. be careful using it against barrier. trade off is that it cancels into 6d or 2d on hit or block so its another mix up opportunity.

j.c i dont believe that this can cross up in any way. perhaps you meant j.d? also you have to be careful using this as a standalone jump in. if spaced poorly, you'll land before the second hit and they get out for free. 

623c dp is not as tall as it looks. if you want to anti air with it, you have to wait till they jump in deeper. be a bit careful with it. whiffing it is death. 

236a level 2 236a launches a tiny bit higher so in the corner if they are airborne, 2a links in the corner so you can extend your combo for more unlocks

214a 214a does different things per level. level 2 fatals and is more + on block. level 3 guard crushes and links into 6b, 5c and 2c after a successful guard crush.a;lso gets slower every level so it has to be used in different situatuions per level. 

236b. forgot to mention that 236b is a low. also can rapid on almost any hit.  

214b. level has an additional collision that hits after airhit 5d midscreen. something to mention for extending. 

in your theory you say susan is a more patient, defensive hakumen. i dont agree with this at all. after a collective 500 matches with him so far i believe that he's at his best on the offense. he needs to get in and pressure his opponents to unlock his moves. by keeping the pressure up, you unlock more seals and slant the match more in your your favor by having options. susano'o is at his worst on defense since his normals are slower than almost everyone elses so getting out of pressure is harder, especially without dp seal. susano'o  is in short, a rushdown character that gets stronger over the course of a round. please i need you to update this guide.

Thanks for the info. I'll add it on Monday. 

I still feel he has to be a bit patient to score hits since he has slower moves. There are MANY characters that you're not going to be rushing down on with Susa often (the sword dancers/Amane/Izanami/Hazama for example) Being slightly slower than even Hakumen (movement-wise) it's really hard to see him as a rush-down character, especially with that dash and many of his low attacks not even hitting low. Also, 6A and 4D are to be used from far away. I guess we just have different styles that we prefer (which is not a bad thing). There are matches where some of his specials are absolutely useless, so I'm not a fan of random unlocks. Once again, I'll take what I can actually get, but my goal is to understand the opponent's weakness and go from there on what tool/s to unlock. Having short, medium and long Drive combos allows me to unlock whatever is needed no matter where the Drive indicator is or if it's a clean combo or block-string. People still aren't used to Susa yet and I can see it becoming a real uphill battle once the newness wears off. 

More stuff i forgot

CT is an amazing combo extender and can be used off 6d or 2d to get more unlocks. Off 6d hit you can charge the CT for better proration and damage.  6b can also otg after but its character specific. So doesnt work on plat, amane, izayoi, naoto, or izanamI so be careful on those.  

Invetible calamity. You can cancel moves on start up if you mash fast enough. It's hard though. 

I prefer to play him more aggressively so I can keep pressure on while unlock moves. against space control characters, you have to play more defensively sure, but I played almost all the rushdown  characters and I apply the mentality to Susan and it works pretty well for me. since  his defensive options are lacking and his normals are on the slow side includingredients 5a and 2a, I try to stay on the offense because getting out of defense against characters with good pressure is almost impossible. but that's just my opinion 

Also correct how only 2c is jump cancel-able on block for the most part.