Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SoWL

(PS4) Fantasy Strike

The Sirlin hath risen.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/14/introducing-fantasy-strike-a-fighting-game-for-everyone/

The game has been in the works for a while, but since you could only get your hands on the demo by paying Sirlin money (and even then, you had no rights to post any footage), all discussion was basically dead in the water. Guess that's about to change soon.

I like the overall idea, even if it feels like taking way too much from Pocket Rumble. My main gripe is that Sirlin already got a game for those who want to play a fighting games with minimal inputs: Yomi. Won't this game just split the existing audience?

No, cause Yomi is a card game (which serves a completely different, and arguably more niche, audience) and was more compromise than anything else. Literally all of Sirlin's games (Yomi, Flash Duel, Puzzle Strike, Codex . . . hell even Pandante) have essentially been leading to this, he's finally come full circle.

Sirlin has an . . . "interesting" philosophy of game design; while I cannot argue that all his games are at least "fun" I never know how to feel about them upon putting more thought into them, and the mechanics of Fantasy Strike (really, why did you name it the same as the overarching metaworld) are giving me that same feeling of questionable unease. But I'll wait till PSX vids and reports before forming a more formal opinion.

At the very least I have main (Setsuki) and sub (Jaina) that are always universally appealing to me in each game.

Ya know, I was going to shrug that off as one of your overly impulsive comments, as if fighters had never taken inspiration from other sources (not limited to each other)  . . . then I saw these: