Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CorrectDefense

Lack of basic BBCF info?

I'm relatively new to Blaz Blue and I purchased BBCF yesterday, but not at all new to playing competitively with fighting games (basically I compete at majors for other games). I've found that this is pretty much the only forum that supports Blaz Blue, but there is a lot of information missing that would make learning to find the way to play this game at a high level incredibly difficult. The only consistent information I find is combos and move by move frame data, but there is so much more information to a fighting game that isn't easy to find here. A lot of the character forums are wastelands where barely anyone says anything, and the few info posts are mostly placeholders. I can't find anything on match ups, basic string defense, or even punishment for my character and the game has been out for almost a month. Am I just not looking in the right places for this information? I've even looked at the wiki and its basically just the same info in the forums just in a different package (at least for the character I am interested in playing). I am a member to other fighting game forums and would love to contribute to these forums, but as a beginner there is an overwhelming amount of information I don't have that I need to even try to play this game. 

Edit: To provide even more information, the character I have chosen to play is Naoto. In the forums all I can find are his combos. Other than that, his forum is empty as far as info goes. His wiki is even worse where there is pretty much no info for him other than his overview page which is overly basic stuff such as all of his movelist with very few pieces of info about each move. I get that he is not considered to be one of the better characters in the game, but I didn't think that this little information was available for him. Why is it there are tier lists I can find on here, but the information available for characters is so bare, there shouldn't even be enough to form a tier list?

1 hour ago, CorrectDefense said:

Edit: To provide even more information, the character I have chosen to play is Naoto. In the forums all I can find are his combos. Other than that, his forum is empty as far as info goes. His wiki is even worse where there is pretty much no info for him other than his overview page which is overly basic stuff such as all of his movelist with very few pieces of info about each move. I get that he is not considered to be one of the better characters in the game, but I didn't think that this little information was available for him. Why is it there are tier lists I can find on here, but the information available for characters is so bare, there shouldn't even be enough to form a tier list?

Relevant to what you're searching for

12 hours ago, epikku attaku said:

try searching on youtube. lots of combos there and specific matches you can analyze.

Like I said, there is enough information about combos everywhere. But, it doesn't make sense for me to analyze matches when I have no idea what the moves are that are being blocked, or what the correct responses to those moves are as to if the players are even responding and punishing correctly. I have no way of knowing that. Thanks to the first poster I at least have some of his frame data, but it is still useless to me because most of the characters ill have to dive through all of the discussions to hopefully find a post with their frame data and other information about their strings that makes it relevant.

I was pretty much tired, drunk, and ranting when I made this post. I realized after I got some sleep that I pretty much am going to have to play and lose a lot of matches and learn all the basic information by trial and error. Its still upsetting that I have to start at this level for a fighting game, because I tend to advance pretty quickly because I like to lab everything before I even play sets with anyone, but it is what it is. 

A lot of the character specific information has been moved to private discord channels.  It sucks, but apparently some people thought it'd be a great idea.

Like, I can totally understand for the games that are just sitting in Misc. games section or even Under Night.  Those aren't really what the site was made to cover.  But for the main Arc System Works games?  Some stuff really ought to be here, and it's so hit and miss.  Kokonoe forums has a beginners guide that really helped me, but Bang has pretty much nothing.

Yeah, I too am frustrated by this.  There used to be LOTS of info here about BB games, but now it seems like I can't even find out if like, some random move has invuln for part of its animation.  Very frustrating.

Can the info on Discord be moved to the main forum in any way? Why would anyone think that keeping it on the Discord channels is a good idea?

I use Discord actively and while there is some good information floating around, a huge part of the daily content is either same things being repeated indefinitely and/or completely off-topic discussion, though that might depend on the character (some having more to discuss than others) and the people/moderator of the server (some being more willing to participate in circle-jerking than others).

You could make a similar question about people posting on character forums, but not updating the Dustloop Wiki and the answer is the exact same: it requires more effort, but at least with WIki you may have legit excuses like not understanding the format/code or not having the confidence in writing coherent and easy to understand language. The less popular BB character Wikis are really scarce on content despite character forums having tons of stuff, though in that case spending time to create a Wiki on a character that might change completely in the next version (ie. next year) wasn't probably very motivating.