Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

epikku attaku

noob with stick, any specific games i should try training with

just been practicing with a stick for 2 days, after playing with a pad for years. mainly played bbcf, nitroplus blasters, arcana heart, which all seem really execution heavy, or really fast to the point that i have trouble pulling off regular moves.  I find I have trouble doing things like simple 236 motions while air dashing. often push the wrong button during a match.

should I try some slower games or something else for awhile, or just grind till I can do moves consistently pull off moves and cancels. also is it easier to use short cuts that I can set with those extra buttons. since most airdashers really only use 4-5 buttons, while there are 6 on the stick. it doesnt seem natural to use the button between D and E. I just tend to cover 4 buttons with fungers. not sure if this is how most people play.

if all fails, i might just go back to pad, or alternate

just grind it out IMO.

took me about a week to acclimatize to stick. took my buddy 3 months. It will be different for everyone.

As for whether it'd be easier to use shortcuts and whatnot, thats up to you. I find it easier not to.

Just practice bruh.

k i've gotten to the part where i'm about 70-80% as good with a stick at most games. I still can't seem to do anything in ah3lm, get too frustrated and go back to controllers at that game.

I think it could be just a harder game in terms of execution in general compared to bbcf, xrd, ntiro+, etc. or it could be that it's played at a higher speed or both.

As dumb as it sounds, try to find a copy - via emulator or whatever - of like, SSF2T.  Or maybe one of the older Fatal Fury games.  These older games are total jerks when it comes to inputs, so if you can get your motions down precisely enough that you can DP reliably in them, then you'll have excellent, precise execution elsewhere.

I disagree with training on Xrd or something, because modern anime games have all kinds of floppy input detection that can create bad habits.

Well, I don't know if I totally agree about it. Yes, modern games are more lenient but that shouldn't be a problem as long as he doesn't plan to play older games. I fear he could just get overly frustrated by stricter controls in game he doesn't enjoy.

I'd just suggest to grind it and exercize in games he likes the most, both in training mode and against low level CPU. He will improve eventually and have fun along the road.