Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xtra_Zero

It's 2017. What's your favorite version of GG?

It's 2017. What's your favorite version of GG?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite version of GG?

• Guilty Gear: The Missing Link
    • Guilty Gear X: By Your Side (+ Plus)
    • Guilty Gear XX #Reload
    • Guilty Gear XX Slash
    • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
    • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core +R
    • Guilty Gear Xrd: -Sign-
    • Guilty Gear Xrd: -Revelator-

Now that Xrd has been out for a while, how do you think it holds up?  Still good enough to dethrone the XX series?  Is +R great and all, but you really want to relive the gunflame wars of XX?  Go ahead and click the button!

I know, I didn't list Petit, Petit 2, Advance Edition, Isuka, Dust Strikers, Overture, or the Judgment games.  They were originally on the list but they had different goals than the main series so I removed them.  If you really think they were better than anything on the list go ahead and write me a strongly worded post about why they're great.

Well, liking the Xrd series the most because of how really good it is.

To me, I'll place the X2 series second, while 1 and X for a tie in 3rd. The side games are their own thing, of course.

Tough call. Of course, I've played Xrd the most so it's the one I'm most comfortable with. At the same time, I really enjoy watching/playing AC and +R and feel like they're the more interesting games.

Honestly, probably #Reload. Mostly because that's the one I likely played the most and when I discovered my love for GG.

Also that's still my favorite version of Testament to this day. Simple and fun. Lay some traps and lame it out. Always thought he got kinda weird with Accent Core and especially in +R. Plus with the pattern of Xrd thus far I'm hoping whenever he does come back he'll be more similar to #Reload rather than Accent Core.

Do I have to choose?  I've been playing them all.  Even GG2 Overture. (People always forget GG2).

AC+R for me. It really is the finality of the XX engine. It combines the focused character design philosophy of Slash with AC's superior system and expanded options.

I would argue that XX got better as it went along, really. Even Slash, for all the shit it got, was a necessary step in the evolution of the series, and undeniably a better game than #R, even if it was less ambitious.

As for Xrd, I'd put Revelator somewhere between #R and Slash. Like #R it suffers from some serious character and system issues, but not to such an extent that it renders the game unplayable. I would really like to see the blockstun and pushback on moves to be lowered at least a little, that way the dynamics of instant blocking would more closely resemble that of the XX games. There's a lot that relies on the game being exactly how it is, though, so I don't know if that's ever going to happen.

Besides that, GG2 is a cool game for what it is, and even Judgment is alright. The only bad Guilty Gear game in my book is Isuka.

Isuka easily has the most underrated OST in the series, I'll give it that much.

I have to agree with qwerty regarding AC+R. Revelator is a great game and one of the better current-gen fighters out there, but AC just feels so polished and has an attention to detail that only comes from years of development. +R especially really does feel like the culmination of the entire GG series up to that point. And if I'm being honest with myself, then yeah, nostalgia also probably plays a part in my fondness for the game—though I'm aware of its flaws to the extent that I'd say the tint to my rose-colored glasses is fairly mild.

I feel it's a tie between AC and +R, depending on which character you play and how they fare in each version.  I would love a version that lets you choose the AC or +R version of your character as you see fit, keeping the system mechanics of +R.

+R is my personal favorite since it has the most enjoyable version of Dizzy, but some characters like Baiken got a bunch of weird changes in that version and I understand why players would not prefer it.

I don't care for Xrd much personally.

7 hours ago, Effenhoog said:

I would love a version that lets you choose the AC or +R version of your character as you see fit, keeping the system mechanics of +R.

No thanks. I'd rather not have to deal with AC Testament or Venom ever again.

While I do like the simplicity of Revelator at times - FRCs are a complete bitch and I can appreciate having a version of I-no that doesn't break my fingers - AC+R is just too much of a blast to play. Some people will argue that the Accent Core series added a lot of unnecessary fluff, especially with Force Breaks (most of which ranged from useless to retardedly good), and I might agree with them there, but the games are just so well-polished everywhere else it's hard for me to even care. I'd expect fighting games to get naturally more complex as the iterations piled on, and +R was the perfect sendoff to the XX games. Crazy fun gameplay, finely tuned mechanics that all serve a purpose (Hi Danger Time), and the best character balance in the entire series. Maybe when GGX4 is on the horizon and Xrd has had several iterations to fine tune the game my opinion will change. And hey I'd love that, the game is gorgeous.

Let's put it this way, I've been playing GG long before Roman Cancels were even INVENTED (GGX only had Red RCs back in the day and people were cool with that because of FD Cancels)!

If there were something I liked the most about Guilty Gear, it'd be the Gears themselves.  The monsters are the real stars of the show, not the WAIFUS!

Up to GGXrd, Sol really held back the 'monster' that was inside him, and now we finally get to see him for what he is.

Justice in GG1 was a beast, Testament lived up to being a grim reaper LONG AFTER in to Accent Core, and his multi-hit normal attacks were nerfed and he was STILL STRONG.

GGXX introduced Slayer and Zappa, iconic in their own ways, Isuka showed us A.B.A. and Leopaldon, and the spinoffs Judgement and Gig.

GG2 Introduced a different 'kind' of Beast in Izuna, Paradigm, and Valentine, all three of which have made their mark on fans whether you remembered GG2 or not.  If it weren't for the first Valentine, we wouldn't have experienced the Heart wringers that came from Ramlethal and Elphelt's stories.

Finally GGXrd.  It proves that even Humans can be monsters like Bedman and Ariels.

No matter how hard you try to make me choose, I'll be adamant in saying I liked each and every game (even and especially Isuka, as I loved 4 on 4, I'd love an Isuka Mode or even Boost Mode to return, Bemups are great!).