Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

epikku attaku

charged characters

are there any general hints. I cannot play them worth shit, and must be doing something wrong.

I learned ignis in Nitroplus Blasterz because she has both normal and charged moves, but can never use her charged move in combos. and 1/2 the time it doesnt come out. possibly since i havent charged long enough, but i know some people throw out specials easily. I'm thinking of learning Anna as well because she also uses charged, and normals.

I have not attempted charged characters in any other game. I fooled with ah3lm Saki in training mode, and can do some combos, but hold the direction for too long. tried Mitsuru a little back in P4U days, but gave up.

For canceling normals into specials, the majority of the time you want to already be buffering a charge before or during a normal's animation. In cases where you're not really moving around, it helps to input crouched normals as 1/downback and standing as 4/back instead of just hitting the button. It's a bit weirder when you get to characters that have forward and up charges like Saki and Vatista, but the same generally applies to them as well.

Some normals are long enough for you to actually start charging immediately after you hit the button (Saki 5C), and depending on the game you might even have time to buffer two normals and charge between them (something like May c.S > 5H > either dolphin special - input by hitting the two buttons in succession and holding down or downback immediately after the second button, while the first normal's animation starts). As for the other end of the charge, that shouldn't be too different from finding a normal's special cancel window with any other character. Mostly game dependent - I'm really inconsistent with special canceling Saki's 2C (like 2C > [6]4C) because I'm used to May's 2D having an absurdly long cancel window.

The charge characters I play have fairly generous cancel windows (definitely May moreso than Saki) and relatively short charge times (about 30f for both iirc). It felt really weird to play characters with longer charge times (Guile/Nash, Vatista) but I also didn't really try getting used to them. 

on a side note, I think all of Anna's charges were changed to half circles in the latest patch of N+B. that probably doesn't matter if it's not in the console versions yet, but that's the case for the PC version. 

I found a trick that seems to work a little better, and not sure if thats right. instead of forcing the stick right away, i simply let go for a split second, then input 6 or 8 direction. it seems a bit more consistent

it always surprises me how some players seem to pull off moves so quick.  if i just old 4 or 1, it seems obvious I'll do a move if someone has knowledge. plus airdashers play way too fast to be played like sf games where you can walk back and then throw sonic booms.

so far, the only charged character I really like character wise is ignis, so she might be the only one I learn. though i kind of like Anna and Saki, it's overwhelming with so many games/characters to play. I still rarely seem to use her charge 4, 6 x move, and rarely seem to use it in combos. just end up throwing other things.

just a random update after playing around with some characters/games. it seems a lot easier to pull off moves in combos with May, Axl(rev), Saki(AH3LM) than with Ignis for some reason. maybe ignis is just especially hard to get the timing right. I decided to try to learn Saki as my 1st pure charged character.