RedBeard

AC: Combo Guide

So I was fucking around with 1 hit setups off of tk ensenga on jam (throw > lv1Pmf > tk ensenga, throw > 6p > tk ensenga, etc) and found you can do a 1 hit with tk ensenga off of dust.

5d > iad j.d > tk ensenga

This, for some awesome reason, is an enkasu on jam. (corner, obviously)

Does anyone know if this works on any other characters?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT IT WORKS MIDSCREEN TOO

Edited by Crono Reyer

So I was fucking around with 1 hit setups off of tk ensenga on jam (throw > lv1Pmf > tk ensenga, throw > 6p > tk ensenga, etc) and found you can do a 1 hit with tk ensenga off of dust.

5d > iad j.d > tk ensenga

This, for some awesome reason, is an enkasu on jam. (corner, obviously)

Does anyone know if this works on any other characters?

EDIT: HOLY SHIT IT WORKS MIDSCREEN TOO

It's sort of a universal type 1-hit ensenga and works on almost all of the cast (?), however it lacks the damage.

If you want to increase the damage output do a relaunch carrier combo to the wall.

Midscreen:

5D, IAD, j.D. land, j.K, j.S, dj.K, j.S, j.D, Ensenga (1).

Should easily get one hit ensenga from this one on light character as long as the j.D is near the wall :)

From a dust IAD, you can do loads of damage if you are willing to spend some meter and a few coins too.

How's it going people. Been playing GG for about a month now and Im reallying enjoying it. I've settled on Johnny as my main so you'll be seeing more of me here :v: I'm finally understanding his combo paths better. I just had a question. So after the standard 5K, 5H xx KJT KJ FRC, j.H, j.D, 5H xx high mist finer starter is it possible to recoin on every character before going into j.k j.s blah blah blah? I know how important it is to recoin as often as you can so I'm curious.

I can do it on Dizzy and Sol but not on Millia. I tried walking back a little bit before the coin but even that doesn't seem to help. Maybe the timing is just really strict?

I also notice throw, coin doesn't combo normally on Millia. Again is this just a timing thing or what?

Thanks for the help.

:JO:

guess I'll just repost this one more time >.>

AC or +R? In AC, it's not always going to be possible to recoin. In +R, you can probably recoin 2-3 times if you really want to.

As for coin after throw, it doesn't work on all characters. Off the top of my head, it won't work on Baiken, Millia or Dizzy (perhaps ABA too?). Throw has more untech time in +R though.

Ok well that's good to know. Sadly I only have a 360 so I'm stuck with AC for now lol. Thanks for the quick reply. Also do you know what is the best way to input

dash, instant jump cancel, IAD?

I've having trouble doing it but I know its important because it gets johnny closer to the corner for his basic enkasu setup after mist finer mid. I try and input it as 6696 but I rarely get it.

IAD is 956/754 in Guilty. So make sure you're doing the right input first.

Past that, it's just timing. You want to buffer the dash input right before the recovery on the coin ends, then IAD -> j.K in one swift motion. From the coin, your input should be:

236H xx 66956 K

Remember that you have to wait until the airdash is complete before you can get j.K out.

Edited by qwerty
Added more detail

Are there any trick or tips for hitting any combos that start with 5K, HS, KJT>KJ or HS, KJT>KJ etc. Knowing how important KJT>KJ combos are to JO's gameplay are there any variables I need to factor in when trying to complete these particular combos? Ex. Spacing, links,frames. I would very much appreciate any advice. Also I was wondering if anyone was going to do a write up for the combos for AC+R.

JI Killer Joker is a tricky beast. It'll take some time to get it down, but even then, it's not always easy to judge the spacing in actual matches.

First thing's first: the jump install. You're basically going to be doing JI KJ combos from either 5K 5H or 5K c.S 5H.

For 5K 5H, you have to tap 8 right after you press K. If you don't get a jump cancel, that's fine, because you aren't supposed to (even on block). This is ideal for when you're using 5K at farther ranges (not max range, since KJ usually won't connect).

When you're using 5K at a closer range (close enough to get c.S), it's best to do 5K c.S 5H. You get to JI c.S instead of 5K, it's a little easier to confirm, and the spacing is a bit easier to judge, too.

So that's the JI. Now for the hard part.

Judging the spacing for JI KJ is no small task. Just getting the Killer Joker to connect isn't enough; you have to worry about both the momentum after KJ and the hitbox of the character in question. Common problems include:

- Too much momentum: Usually happens when you're too close to be doing KJ. Often causes a crossup mid-air, meaning you don't get a corner carry in the direction you were initially facing.

- KJ not comboing: Happens when you're too far, causing KJ to either hit late or whiff entirely. Can also be caused by not hitting S during transport fast enough.

- Whiffing air normals after KJ: This is kind of tricky because there's a lot of reasons this can happen. You can be pressing the button too late, not buffering it right (particularly in the case of j.H after KJ), the spacing could be wrong, etc. This is something that you have to take on a case by case basis, closely observe what you're doing, and try to figure out why it isn't working.

If you ask me, the best way to learn KJ combos is to do the following combo (works on most, if not all characters):

2P 2P 5K 8 5H -> KJFRC -> j.SKSD Enkasu

Why? Because it sets up the spacing for both KJ and Enkasu on its own. It gives you a control to reference for when you're struggling with combos using different spacing.

That's really the issue I have with JI KJ on a personal level; I don't often find myself in situations where the spacing is optimal, or where I'll even be able to hit with KJ at all. Funnily enough, I find myself using it most after a Dash Jackhound, since it lets me keep Level 2 and it's pretty easy to judge the spacing. It's also burst safe, so long as they don't burst at 5H.

Also I was wondering if anyone was going to do a write up for the combos for AC+R.

One of these days, I'll make an entire thread dedicated to +R. Combos, upcoin, everything. I just need to find the time to write it and verify everything.

Edited by qwerty

Thanks bro! I really appreciate the detailed response. I think my problem lies mostly in the spacing. 2p, 2p prior to 5k,JI,HS corrected the spacing issues. Now I just have to make sure I press the S fast enough enough after KJT. Now when I actually hit the 5k,JI,HS etc. I FRC with P,S,K and roll my thumb to HS. It works pretty well considering I play on pad.

Also I'm looking forward to the write up on the combos. I'm beginning to notice that most of the 1-hit Enkasu set ups following the Coin loop in the Satou match vids require a dash, IAD or dash, SJ,IAD. This seems to be harder than the 1-hit Enkasu used in ACR

so I just got +R (yay) and I was wondering if there are any new combo routes I should be aware of. really liking new Johnny :)

also when (if ever) should I be looking to use his new super? i know in some situations he can combo off it but since its 50 meter I'm not sure if its always worth it.

Edited by LionHeartx

There are some pretty significant changes to his game flow, but his combos are pretty similar to AC+.

Main things to know:

We can do 6P > high coin > 5K > air combo now for those lvl1 -> lv2 combos. *Doesn't work on -everyone- but a lot of people.

This does ~120'ish as opposed to those old super crappy 2D > coin combos.

New air OD can be used to recoin after doing an air combo. This means we can finally go for pure damage and still recoin at the very end. Instead of doing the usual jH>jD>Ensenga just go for jH>air OD>step>5K>c.S>coin

3H now gatlings into 6H and combos, which is amazing.

Now that I can finally record +R stuff I may make good on my promise to help reconstruct and organize the Johnny +R combo thread.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Another question. I see in some combo videos that midscreen using the basic jump install 5K 5HS KJ FRC combo that somehow they keep the momentum from the killer joker which pushes them really far into the corner after the double jump and makes landing enkasu much easier. The thing is I'm not sure how they do it. Sometimes I randomly get it but most of the time I cant. I thought that maybe you had to jump install with 9 as opposed to 8 and I tried holding 9 after the FRC but none of those seem consistent. Does it have something to do with the timing for when Killer Joker hits?

All the game cares about when you JI is if you hit an upward direction. You don't get more forward momentum by using 9 instead of 8 or anything like that.

I kind of touched on this in another thread, but JI KJ is dependent on a lot of factors. Spacing before you hit KJ is one of those things. This is where a lot of people (myself included) misjudge and end up screwing up the combo. The ideal spacing for Enkasu after JI KJ can be achieved by doing the following combo:

2P 2P 5K 8 5HS -> KJFRC

Past that, you also have to worry about hitting the other guy after KJ. The rule of thumb is the sooner you get your air normal out, the better. If you want to practice this the hard way, but the way that will really teach you how to do it, try buffering j.H after KJ. You have to strum from P+K+S to H very quickly, but that timing with which you hit H can carry over to any other air normal. Otherwise, you can learn with j.S as well, but you might get some false negatives if you screw something else up later in the combo (timing between j.D and Ensenga, for instance).

Alternatively, if you're in the business of spending meter, you can always just do something like j.SK KJ 6FRC6 KPDE, to get the momentum necessary for Enkasu from the airdash.

Qwerty, I think you are misunderstanding. If I read correctly, LionHeartx knows how JI works but he doesn't know why sometimes the forward momentum is kept and sometimes it is not the case.

Well gentlemen, this is simply the use of "Normal Jump Canceling" (NJC), which allows to keep the forward momentum and perform the "air gatling" faster. And indeed it helps being deeper inside the opponent hitbox thus helps performing 1-hit on specific setups whereas the very same combo with a classic JC would be harder or impossible. It is a mechanic that already existed in previous installments since we could use it for the elegant DBT~DB (JI) combos, which were staple before AC came out and DBT changed.

I was writing a paragraph on NJC but in the end, I remember someone talking about it a long time ago so did some grave digging and got for both of you this. Koozebanian Fazoob explains it in a detailed and nice way :

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?372-Gameplay-FAQ-READ-BEFORE-POSTING

Q) What is Normal Jump Canceling?

This is a weird glitch related to Jump Canceling in the air. To do it, you basically must cancel a jumping normal into a jump, but then also gattling to another normal before the jump happens. The net result is that the second normal will cut off a special frame of the Jump Cancel and go immediately into the second normal. The special frame is apparently responsible for the change in your air velocity as well as directional facing. Because of this, it is possible for a character to maintain forward velocity he normally wouldn't during a jump cancel.

The best example of this is with Sol. Normally, the Bandit Revolver moves him forward very fast if he RCs the first hit, but if you Jump Install and then attempt to jump cancel, you will lose the forward velocity of the Bandit Revolver. However, if you Normal Jump Cancel, you will maintain the velocity of the BR and move forward very fast, this can be useful to setup Dust Loops. The combo can be done as:

S 8 2D 236K(1) RC > j.S NJC j.D CSW |> CSW Loop

The easiest method to do NJC is to hit the input for the second normal and the jump at the same time. It is also important to note that the two normals MUST be able to gattling into each other. Sol can do j.S NJC j.D, but he could not do j.D NJC j.D.

Edited by Mitsurugi

Indeed, I neglected the most important part of his question.

I remember reading about that glitch a long time ago, but I honestly forgot about it until you brought it up.