Sign in to follow this  
Kairi

Slayer AC Combos

Ok, so I'm trying to learn the following combos because they're awesome and do like 80% or something. Problem is, my execution sucks so I can't figure them out. Let's break this stuff down.

1st combo after 5h backdash punish: he does IAD j.P -> j.K -> 5h which I have no problem with (after much sweating and loss of blood). But then he does sj.IAD K -> j.K and I'm like "wtf, man?" Putting aside the fact that you need to sj.IAD, I can't get the second j.K to come out. I also can't tell if the last j.D is regular or super jump? help!

Next, around 25s, he does [stuff] -> 2D RC -> IAD j.H. I can do IAD j.P -> j.K or plain j.K after a 2D RC, but not that IAD j.H. Does it simply need to be inputted very quickly?

@40s: Dust combo into stuff -> sj.H -> j.D -> j.2k -> etc. How is the timing for the sj.H -> j.D -> j.2k? After playing with it, I get that sj.H needs to be done high so the rest comes out, but j.D is very inconsistent and I very rarely nail the j.K after j.2k as well.

For the 6P FRC combo right after, I'm surprised he goes straight to sj.H -> j.D -> etc. I thought it was more optimal to do something like 6P -> 5h -> j.2k -> j.K -> 5h -> sj.H -> etc.? Note that I don't have any problem with the execution here, I'm just wondering which combo pathway is the better one.

I guess that's about it for this vid, and I figure if I can nail these, then I'll have more understanding of optimal Slayer combos. :keke:

Yup, Slayer's IAD combos are the hardest part of learning him. I'm also struggling now, I lost the touch completely. Damned be BB. I remember when I was practicing them for the first time, and I was playing on keyboard. I nailed them eventually but there was so much rage and pain

Since Slayer's dash is short, there are two "timings" (in lack of a better word) Slayer can hit the oponent while IADing. The first one is while he is still dashing, when you hit the opponent as early as possible and Slayer will keep a little bit of a momentum and fly a bit farther. The second timing is after the first, you won't get the momentum and Slayer will land quickly after the hit.

For sj.IAD j.K > j.K, you don't have to do the fastest possible iad. You can even do 2866 (or maybe just 866) and I think that would be an easier way. You can see that he is slighly higher than normal so he can fit two j.Ks. You should hit first j.K as fast as possible. The first "timing". The third IAD was sj.IAD, but it can be done with normal IAD. Again, you have to be sligltly higher to hit j.D > j.2K and you have to hit j.D on first "timing"

For IAD j.H., you have to hit j.H at the second "timing" (yes, you can actually hit it too early). If you hit it as fast as possible, Slayer will keep momentum and you may not be able to connect H afterwards.

For sj.H > sj.D, j.H should hit just before the peak of the jump. The rest of the combo timing you have to figure out yourself. You've probably noticed that Slayer is very link oriented character and that is something you must practice to figure out.

The more important links are K>2K, 2K>2S, 2K>2D, 2K>2H, 2S>2D, sj.H>sj.D, ((sj.)IAD) j.D > j.2K. Landing links like j.K > HS. 2P > BBU on aerial opponent. FB Pilebunker on aerial opponent > HS in corner. I don't feel that IAD j.K > j.K is too important but it won't hurt to know.

edit: I forgot about combo paths. I'm not sure but you can always connect j.2K > j.K, for j.HS > j.D to hit they have to bounce higher from the ground

Somone could probably explain it better, since I just got into the game after 3 years, so I'm just getting into the groove of things again. Also, thanks for finding that video. I remember it from earlier when it was just named "Rape" (deservingly so), but it was removed.

Edited by zdravkelja

First combo is 5H>IADj.P>j.K>land>5H>sjad.K>j.K>land>5H>sjad.D-2K>j.K>land>5H>Pile

It's a pretty damn hard combo, since the proration is so hard that doing the 5H for the pile will make it a very hard link, and keeping Testament at the right height for everything to connect on is a bitch.

IIRC, the j.P>j.K is done as a link and made so Hase travels further since the backdash hit was pretty much max distance. the iad j.P>j.K and iad j.K>j.K combos pretty much have the same timing for followups, and zdravkelja is right about the momentum thing. If you manage two reps, instead of doing the sj IAD j.D, you may as well just combo into Pile. It's not worth the effort.

Somewhere in this thread, I think, it was asked how to learn the iadj.k>j.K thing. The way it suggested, and how I learned it, was get Potemkin and go to your best side. Do 2D RC>5H>iad j.K>j.K>stuff. Took me a few hours to really understand what was going on for it to work. Just try to make sure the button press is right when you can input moves. You can visually see that you're going further if you do it right.

2D RC>5H>IADj.H is just harder than it needs to be. Just a tight timing thing.

Slayers BnB for a corner 6P FRC is pretty much the sj.H thing.

sj.H>j.D needs to have the sj.H hit on the way up. Best way to practice is 6P FRC>5H>sj.H>j.D-2k>j.K>stuff in the corner on light...Sol. Can also do 5K>6P if they're crouching or if it's on CH.

Full combo is something like...5K>6P FRC>5H>sj.H>j.D-2k>j.K>land>5S/K>j.S(2)-2K>j.K>dj.H-2K>j.D Does like 239 damage on Sol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1SMloai5xaw#t=26s video of it.

:O

You guys are amazing. Thanks for the info!

Yes, learning Slayer has been quite frustrating. I thought that going through the process by mashing stuff out in GG, then trying to get pro with C. Viper in SFIV in the early days, and then switching to BB after and all its iterations would have provided me with the execution to handle GG. It did, in a way, but Slayer's taught me I've still got tons to learn!

In any case, the good news is that I think Slayer's links have a rhythm to them once you get it, so you're less likely to drop them as you become more familiar with how he works. But they're still hard anyway (and I have no idea what sort of ungodly soul-selling contract Hase consented to for that sort of execution ability). ;_;

Anyway, thanks again. I'll def. be doing stuff in the lab. :]

Just know that you don't need to work too hard to get big damage with Slayer, nor do you need to be Hase to win.

Hase is just super human.

You stop thinking about the timing for links at some point. Eventually, it just sort of happens.

Yeah I eventually figured that out.

Thanks anyway.

So I'm finally getting around to the mid-screen stuff after getting my other combos down more or less in matches. Most links also feel pretty natural by now. Thanks for all the help on that, btw!

Now what I'm seeing is that for mid-screen combos it's some variation of [launcher] -> IAD [j.P -> j.K / j.K -> j.K / j.H / j.D -> j.2k] -> [c.S / 5K / 5H] -> etc. Would these be correct?

A couple questions, then. I've been practicing IAD j.D and can barely get the j.2k out, so the guy hits the floor and the combo ends there. I tried sjAD.D instead, but that seems more height-dependent so I'm having trouble connecting it.

Last Q, after say 2D RC -> 5H, should the 5H always optimally be min height?

1. yes, midscreen iad. into stuff is usually correct. IF you launch with HS, you can go into this combo: (launch with HS,), j.HS, link j.K, dj.K, link j.D,2k,K,\/, relaunch. the damage on this is quite good, and it's relatively easy.

2. as for iad.j.D,2K,K: it's character specific. there isn't even a general guideline as to what hit is best (enemy as high as possible or as low as possible), because of the hitboxes. generally, higher is better though (more time for j.2K to hit after j.D). you can try the following stuff to land the combo: 1. time your j.D perfectly after the air dash, 2. delay the air dash, 3. jump, then delay the air dash, 4. superjump iad or 5. a mix of all of that :(

3. it's generally best if they are as low as possible after 2D, RC 5HS, but only really if you want to go into iad.j.HS,\/, relaunch (which is hard).

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll try that stuff out then. May have to eschew IAD j.D for something else if it's that hard to get consistent with, though...

I usually just do IAD j.K>land or IAD j.P>j.K>land relaunch stuff. The only time I really use IAD j.D is if I'm ending the combo at that, or if I'm doing the BBU>5H>IAD j.D-2k>j.K stuff.

So about 2D RC->5H->blah blah. It really depends on the character and combo you want to do. For instance, if I want to do 2D RC->5H->IAD j.H->5H->IAD j.K->j.K->5H->j.S->j.K->5H->214 S->H or whatever vs potemkin, I want him as low as possible for the initial 5H. But if I want to do 2D RC->5H->j.H->j.K->dj.H->dj.K->5H->j.H->j.k->dj.H->dj.K->5H->IAD j.D->j.2K->j.D I will want him at max height for the initial 5H or else he will travel too high later in the combo, but it really is all based off your timing. There is a big window between air links to adjust the height of your opponent... I've gotten strange things to work like a falling j.D into 5H against faust and 2H( non counter )->5H to work against Eddie. Also fun things like tensionless pilebunker loops... Though now it seems all the fun things I found are gone in the next revision...

Slayer is all about pushing the frames in combos. You will learn to adjust your opponents height during combos according to each character to make the best combos work for you. You'll find you can do seemingly impossible, totally freestyle'd combos that do great damage all the time once you learn the windows between moves and optimal heights for each character.

Whoa, I totally missed your post, Mac! It's the good stuff, thanks for posting.

Sadly, I don't think I'll learn all the chara-specific stuff because +R is coming out soon. On the other hand, I get to learn Slayer along with you guys, so it should be cool nonetheless. :D

So, I've done some research into what causes 2-hit Chokkogatta Dandy (air super) to be untechable, and threw together this (rather messed up) gif. Alpha is really messed up in it, but it should still serve for illustration.

Gif is here! Note that the hitboxes are approximate and only for illustration, although they still resemble the real thing (as seen through Pasky's hitbox viewer).

Basically, the tail must hit on its own first. This then causes the sprite to change, which also changes the hitboxes. If this change makes the dive portion hit them then congratulations, 2 hit Chokkogatta Dandy (air super) for Massive Damage!

Notes:

Chokkogatta Dandy (air super) moves you forward, so if you hit Chokkogatta Dandy (air super) when you're around the middle of the enemy their sprite will change direction, and fly that way too. Outside of the corner this ends up being almost impossible to combo from.

Characters with thin top arc air sprites and huge vertical air-hit sprites are ideal for 2-hit untechable Chokkogatta Dandy (air super), examples include Order-Sol and Anji.

Characters with vertically large top arc air sprites are harder to work with, since if both parts of the super hit at the same time you get the techable version instead.

This could be old news for everyone involved, but the (bad) animation might help illustrate it.

Finally, here's a setup for your Fuujin stuffing needs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SM-TKIF-9w&feature=youtu.be

Edited: Mixed up the names for the supers ._.

Edited by lexis

DoT is his ground super. And it's been known since #R how to get a proper 2hit Dandy/Chokkagata Dandy, but the illustration is appreciated.

Also, IIRC, 2D can stuff HS Fuujin as well...so long as it's not a meaty 2D against reversal Fuujin.

It can indeed and does so very often, the thing above was just an attempt at truly stupid damage from a very simple combo/hitconfirm.

I've heard that the Character Specific Combo Thread and the Slayer 101 Thread are both outdated, and reading through this thread, it just seems like a discussion of flashier combos; with that in mind, I ask: what are some basic Slayer combos I should learn? I've been learning the stuff in those threads, but if there is better or easier stuff to learn, I'd prefer to learn it.

I have no idea what your current Slayer knowledge is, so if I'm going way too basic, I apologize in advance.

(6K>)2K>2S>2D is BnB. Combo from his low into knockdown, with optional overhead before hand.

5K links into itself and can combo into Mappa, so 5Kx2-3>Mappa. Just note you have to do a TK motion for the cancel, as 5K itself isn't special cancelable. You jump cancel it and cancel the prejump frames before they come out.

He can anti air into basic air combos from 5P/2S. Pretty much j.K-j.2K>j.K>dj.K-j.2K>j.D for BnB air combo. Depending on how high up they were hit, you may have to change things around, like doing j.D earlier, or not doing the -j.2K>j.K part and just doing j.K>dj.K. And also learning the j.K>j.D link. That's important for lightweight characters.

2K>2H>BBU is the most common place for BBU combos, and there are so many different ways to go about them its best to learn different routes and figure out what you favor. Easy BBU combo may involve doing ...BBU>2D so that it hits somewhat meaty so you recover fast enough to do c.S>f.S or something like that.

Try to keep some of the +R changes in mind when learning combos (big ones being 5H no longer ground bouncing on air hit, 2H not launching on hit (BBU still combos off it), 5K is also cancelable again.)

I have no idea what your current Slayer knowledge is, so if I'm going way too basic, I apologize in advance.

(6K>)2K>2S>2D is BnB. Combo from his low into knockdown, with optional overhead before hand.

5K links into itself and can combo into Mappa, so 5Kx2-3>Mappa. Just note you have to do a TK motion for the cancel, as 5K itself isn't special cancelable. You jump cancel it and cancel the prejump frames before they come out.

He can anti air into basic air combos from 5P/2S. Pretty much j.K-j.2K>j.K>dj.K-j.2K>j.D for BnB air combo. Depending on how high up they were hit, you may have to change things around, like doing j.D earlier, or not doing the -j.2K>j.K part and just doing j.K>dj.K. And also learning the j.K>j.D link. That's important for lightweight characters.

2K>2H>BBU is the most common place for BBU combos, and there are so many different ways to go about them its best to learn different routes and figure out what you favor. Easy BBU combo may involve doing ...BBU>2D so that it hits somewhat meaty so you recover fast enough to do c.S>f.S or something like that.

Try to keep some of the +R changes in mind when learning combos (big ones being 5H no longer ground bouncing on air hit, 2H not launching on hit (BBU still combos off it), 5K is also cancelable again.)

Yeah, I got all of that, already. I guess it's just a matter of practice at this point. Was hoping there were easier/better combos than the specific ones listed in those mentioned threads is all.

If 5H no longer bounces on air hit, I wonder what you do after 2K -> 2H -> BBU, hmm... Guess I'll look around for +R information and try to adapt my combos around that, too.

6H acts like 5H did, so it's possible to do BBU>6H>iadj.K stuff, but because of its startup its a bit harder. 5H ground slides on air hit, so in the corner it can combo into Undertow for an air combo. It also now gatlings to 2H, which launches on air hit (slide counts as air hit) which sends them into a high bounce state.

BBU>2D>c.S-f.S>j.K>etc still works too.

6H acts like 5H did, so it's possible to do BBU>6H>iadj.K stuff, but because of its startup its a bit harder. 5H ground slides on air hit, so in the corner it can combo into Undertow for an air combo. It also now gatlings to 2H, which launches on air hit (slide counts as air hit) which sends them into a high bounce state.

BBU>2D>c.S-f.S>j.K>etc still works too.

Ah, neat. Good to see Undertow being used in combos.

On that note, I just did on Axl: AA 2S jc j.[K-2K -> K] djc dj.[K/S(1)(height)-2K -> D-2K -> K], land, 2S jc j.[K-2K -> K] djc dj.[K/S(1)(height/distance)-2K -> D-2K -> D] - 193 damage off of AA 2S. I'm in love with Slayer.

Edited by Murderbydeath

Sorry for the double post, but I've recently started practicing this corner combo (though I think it has applications midscreen too, just not from what I'm starting with):

6K->5K-6P FRC sjc sj.[H->D-2K->K], land, 5H xx Pilebunker

I can't seem to get the PB to connect at all. Is there some secret to this, lol? Am I doing this off the wrong starter?

Can anyone help me out?

Edit: I guess I should mention what's happening. Usually the opponent (Axl in this case) is too high for the PB to hit. If I delay it any, Axl techs. :|

Edited by Murderbydeath

Sign in to follow this