Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bjholmes2

[CS1] Hazama Complete Guide

^ If only I had this advice during the long hours it took me to beat score attack, haha. But now it's finally finished, and I have unlimited Hazama now. I'm sure that'll definitely help a lot of people though.

i wanted to know how hard is it to learn hazama cause hazama peeked my interest but i play with jin so is he gonna be hard to learn

Hazama doesn't have too complex combos, nor does he have a lot of different ones. He is however a character that requires precise timing for a lot of his stuff and is a bit tricky to play gameplay wise (he isn't that straightforward).

He buckles under pressure easily if you don't learn IB Yoyaku and he is pretty weak at mid-range (his optimal range is very far away and very close).

On a 1-5 scale of difficulty, I'd probably say that Hazama is a 3/5, Jin being a 1/5.

^you mean IB jayoku and he's actually not that bad mid-range since 3C has really good reach and 5D~C>j.B/j.2C crossup works pretty well at getting in for pressure/combo. IB jayoku is trash online since it's nearly impossible to do with online delay and people are stupid and will straight into jayoku alot of the time. He has many ways to get in from mid-range, but depends on how well you make use of chains. If Jin is 1/5 then Hazama is 1-1.5/5 IMO, nothing really difficult, just gotta learn all the ways you can go into his main combo. Timing is pretty lenient too, only times there's tight timing would be when he's doing 214D~C follow up after jayoku and 623D>j.6D~D on specific characters.

he's actually not that bad mid-range since 3C has really good reach and 5D~C>j.B/j.2C crossup works pretty well at getting in for pressure/combo.

At mid range a lot of characters have better pokes and if 3C whiffs you're open for punishment, I honestly prefer 236D in most situations as a mid-range poke. Using D to get in at mid-range is a bit risky if you ask me, the short hitstun isn't enough and people get wise on your D tactics fast.

I try to avoid the mind-range and stick to characters like Mu, Lambda, etc. like glue and vs close range characters like Tager I tend to keep my distance and wait for him to make a sloppy advance.

IB jayoku is trash online since it's nearly impossible to do with online delay and people are stupid and will straight into jayoku alot of the time.

Good luck doing a lot of stuff consitently in netplay.

He has many ways to get in from mid-range, but depends on how well you make use of chains.

His dashes are better at midrange if you ask me.

If Jin is 1/5 then Hazama is 1-1.5/5 IMO, nothing really difficult, just gotta learn all the ways you can go into his main combo.

I don't use the ".5" system because it's difficult to measure something so accurately.

And if you ask me there is no way in hell Hazama is a 1/5, that basically means he's as easy to play as Ragna (which I'll tell you, he's not). Hazama isn't as straightforward as say Jin or Ragna and he doesn't really have tools for almost every situation. He isn't that well-rounded, he has some strong strengths but also some weak weaknesses.

Timing is pretty lenient too, only times there's tight timing would be when he's doing 214D~C follow up after jayoku and 623D>j.6D~D on specific characters.

...623D, 66, 3C...

6D~A, 6D~A, 6D~A, 623D... (slightly annoying with 2, but with 3 6D~A it's hard)

623D, j.6D~D...

214D~C, 66, 5C...

etc. are some of his more troublesome stuff to time, but then there's also a bunch of other stuff that takes some getting used to.

Since your reversal is meter dependant you need to learn how to block well, which is something that you don't really learn with some characters, so that might come into the equation as well.

He's not a hard character to play, but if you compare him to the rest of the cast, I'd say he's somewhere in the middle.

Ragna's 0/5 on my scale for very obvious reasons, so Hazama is about 1-2/5 I guess.

At mid-range you can usually hit 3C>236D if they block, but I can't really determine what your definition of mid-range is.

There are also many ways to move around with chains:

j.D~D>j.2/4/6D~A/B/C/D is sort of a crossup, but here if you use a C follow up you technically crossup twice and most people don't change the direction they're blocking twice in that amount of time

2/4/6D~D>mid air j.2/4/6D~A/B/C/D this one is just too hard to explain completely

Most people tend to think 2D~D is just used for getting the hell out but it actually has alot of use if you are able to follow up with a j.2/4D chain which should put them in enough block stun for you to start pressure/mixup

I usually have a starter for jayoku(5C(2),etc) which nets more damage

6D~Ax3 after jayoku is pretty tough I guess since I've only pulled it off online like 40-50 times :[

214D~C>66>5C is something i've never been able to understand, I find it useless since I can usually throw out 4D~A>4D~D without any problems

He's not good at escaping pressure but he has alot that he can use to avoid ever getting pressured, of course that won't always work so you have to pay attention to when there are openings in their pressure

214D~C>66>5C is something i've never been able to understand, I find it useless since I can usually throw out 4D~A>4D~D without any problems

Do you even play hazama remotely well?(Well ok, I guess I can't say I play him too well either. :v:)

There are a ton of situations where I nip them at the end of my hitbox and need that dash.

Most of his chain movements are gimmicks where you need something to throw off your opponent. Things like throwing a chain on oki and using C to crossup but you need to be EXTREMELY careful when doing such. I've seen Buppa do it OCCASIONALLY, because its a GIMMICK. Gimmicks aren't always bad, you just need to be very careful because if they are aware of said gimmick it can be PUNISHED, HARD.

His chain zoning is pretty safe, but it's also easy for your opponent to play conservatively and block. Better opponents are going to be working their way in and you just have to milk it for as much meter as you can. Using a blocked chain to mixup for an attack gets predictable and punishable EXTREMELY QUICKLY. Characters like bang can drive their way in off of them, fakeout chains into a 2nd chain will hit some bangs for a little bit until they stop trying to be stylish and just throw a D nail. OH LOOK I'M IN.

He isn't extremely difficult but you need matchup knowledge to play him, because a large amount of meter gain in higher level play is from IB's, to IB you need to know pressure strings and timings, it's really hard to practice and it's almost something you kind of feel out.

I'm Hazama main in CS lolz and i've only needed to do 214D~C>66>5C like a few times in to continue the combo, though i've done 214D~C>66>5B>2C follow up on jayoku in corner so i can pick up a 623D combo for better damage, i have to say Hazama is full of gimmicks and you gotta take advantage of all of them in order to trick your opponent(you should recognize this since 5B/3C>214D~A is a extremely common gimmick)he's all mindgames

At mid-range you can usually hit 3C>236D if they block, but I can't really determine what your definition of mid-range is.

Problem is if you whiff the 3C, either because you're slightly out of reach or because they jump, then you can't cancel into a 236D. Also sometimes you can get hit out of your 66, 3C by one of their pokes. 3C is ok, but it'd not go so far as to call it a "good poke".

There are also many ways to move around with chains:

j.D~D>j.2/4/6D~A/B/C/D is sort of a crossup, but here if you use a C follow up you technically crossup twice and most people don't change the direction they're blocking twice in that amount of time

Problem is that you can't do squat at such a short distance and even if you hit them the hitstun is too short. They can just A poke you out of your D (or AA you), it's not at all difficult to react to once you get used to it.

His D's are also pretty slow compared to some characters pokes (good luck trying to play around at mid-range with D against say Hakumen or Litchi).

5C(2x), 3C, 214D~C, 66, 5C(2x), jc, j.C(5x), 2C, 4D~D, etc. can cause you to get out of range making the combo whiff, in other situations you can also be too far away for the rest of the combo to hit after 214D~C.

I find that using 66 appropriately helps a lot. I mean, for characters like Tager, it doesn't really matter; but for smaller characters, the 66 after 214D~C can be important. 66 is also good after 5D~D > j2C

Also, 66 is just hype. I mean, that little dash in is too smexy to pass up. :V

This is the truth, haha. And in all honesty, that dash is important in a lot of situations to maximize damage. Specifically during combos where 214D~C leaves you out of range.

You don't need to mash. In fact, you should just press C at a regulated pace. Do it quickly, obviously, but there's no need to press it as fast as your thumb will allow.