Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlashMetroid

[GGAC] Jam Match-up Thread

Fellow Jam players i'm in need of your advice.Got a huge MM in 2 months and need to get extremely cold. What are your recommendations?

drop her your not gonna be ready in 2 months

try slayer or pot

ps - this is flash btw

Sorry man I got something to prove with her. Too many former teammates thinkin' my Jam ain't worth it, but with enough practice and heart I can get my Jam back to what she was after SERv2. Just need to redo some of my strats for different chars but will need some help with that.

Go to my post 2 pages back and check the link. I'm pretty much an all out offensive Jam. Edit: I'm currently searching for Jam vs. Chipp Matches and Youtube a very limited supply of them (Xenophobian vs. AtTheGates).

Well there is a problem there. If you are a true playing offensive Jam all the time (or try to), you are not playing Jam right in my opinion. Jam has to be extremely patient in most match-ups as she has no range. Of course, once she gets in, it's basically game, unless the other player is just significantly better than you (see me last page, on the wrong end of the stick). I will try to help, but seek other opinion if needed. I am not that good of a player after all. At 00:13, do not run then attack after 236s-h. It's only +1 if he reg block it, and negative if IB. So if anything, just 2s afterwards. 00:22, go for the 2 loops and close knockdown, or 2.5 loops and shoot them across the screen. Must always get best out of any situation. Same thing at 00:40. I'm not sure what you were trying to 00:29. Flipping is fine but I don't see what you were using it for there. Recognize distances at 00:46. If he does it that close, auto-block and if he doesn't do that lightning ball thing, knockdown and charge a kick or something. The parry into 6p is another option if you think he is going to frc the charged edge. Too many 236s-h against ky. stun edge is perfectly safe as a counter at those kind of distances. Also, no reason to do FB at that distance either. Like flash said already, don't give up 2s counter chances. At the worst, you are on top of him even if he shakes out. The last part of the match is not played correctly. If your opponent is that passive (He wasn't playing very safe. There is a difference between aggressive defensive and just being completely passive), run in and rip his head off. A few other things against Ky, height controlled drop kick owns Ky's anti-air options. Use them sparingly for the win, considering each one leads into a 65% dmg combo. Guess Stun edges. A correct guess and a good IAD means a free entry, at which point that round is basically won. Work on your dp bait. Jumping in and doing nothing is not a dp bait, it's asking to be thrown. On the same note, if a ky dps that much, he should be dead. And the other thing people have said already, tech. Don't surrender free dmg. Nobody is going to feel bad taking a free combo.

That actually was one of my worst matches I ever played (was to nervous). After I saw my match I realized a lot of my mistakes but I can't character correct them because memphis currently doesn't have a Ky player that I know of. Lately i've been tweaking my ground game so I won't get in those situations but it's still flawed cause I have a very bad defense game (attacking too much, not faultless defending enough, and bursting at bad times) and as it shows in the vid it's 50% of why I lost.

I've said it before: American GG can often times be summed up with two words. Counter and Hit. The vast majority of middle of the road gg players in the states will try to be on offense 100% of the time. This extends to instead of simply blocking shifty stuff, they will usually try to counter with a potentially stronger option. This often times leads to mis-timed dps/6p and subsequently lots and lots of counter hits. I agree with Ryoko in that Jam does require a good bit of patience, especially against characters that have strong options vs. all of her braindead ways to get in. This coupled with parrying allow her to be one of the most flexible characters in the game when dealing with pressure, and you should take advantage of that. In my experience, I have the most devistating results when I can get my opponent into a dumb poke war, where all they can think about is how crappy jam's range is. Eventually they forget my tension bar is flashing green and that hos 2s that was about to stuff you gets owwwwned. If you want to see some one play Jam cautiously, look at Kazu. He uses all of his jump options 100% of the time to keep his opponent guessing when the attack is actually coming, instead of just running at them and doing one of Jam's strong options. The last thing I'll say isn't tied to Jam, but rather being a good guilty player in general. You should try to get comfortable blocking. Know character's frame traps, so you don't try to poke out and eat Slayer 2h ch. Combine that with knowing how to fd people off you, and you've taken a big step in frustrating your opponent into doing something risky. Lastly, I'd advise that for now in your current development, favor blocking over reversals. Try to only use them in situations where you *know* they are going to work(ie: jam meaty 6h/5d what ever). Any way, back to writting my papers

Thanks Hinata (my 2nd fav Naruto character) I really need to learn how to FD and plan out reversals.

I need someone's advice on how to deal with Lil Majin's chipp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-BONDkXNY

Unfortunately Their aren't any recorded matches of me and him in a match but this should give you a general idea how he plays. As you can see from the link he favors air throws and loves to jump in with J.hs as well as randomly teleport.

Those air throws are all free, considering the ky player is basically hovering above him, a no-no in most matches. Jump in with jh and js is staple of chipp cross-ups, I actually didn't see many here, but that's because the ky was just dping like crazy (an absolute no-no, especially with a dp that shitty). He wasn't random teleporting. He was just waiting at the other end of the screen for ky to do something. That won't be an issue for you because you should be constantly moving anyways. I don't think his chipp is very good. It's not aggressive whatsoever, definitely not as scary as the ones that actually abuse chipp's amazing normals.

Those air throws are all free, considering the ky player is basically hovering above him, a no-no in most matches.

Jump in with jh and js is staple of chipp cross-ups, I actually didn't see many here, but that's because the ky was just dping like crazy (an absolute no-no, especially with a dp that shitty).

He wasn't random teleporting. He was just waiting at the other end of the screen for ky to do something. That won't be an issue for you because you should be constantly moving anyways.

I don't think his chipp is very good. It's not aggressive whatsoever, definitely not as scary as the ones that actually abuse chipp's amazing normals.

Not to sound like a punk, but that wasn't very helpful. Could you elaborate a little more? What SHOULD he have been doing? Many times people seem to focus too much on the matchup. That's definitely important, but playing the player vs the character is also important. There are gonna be times when the player will be solid--relatively--but they won't play textbook Chipp or whoever. Thanks. Sorry again if that sounds rude.

I'd like some help vs Chipp as well. I get air throw ALL THE TIME. I know it's my fault, but I feel that air dashing is my only option to get in other wise. He just jumps around, air dashes, and air alpha blades all over the place and I can never catch him. This results in him being able to force mixups all day. Any help would be appreciated.

Not at all. Sorry if I couldn't make it clear. I doubt air dash is the only way to get in on chipp. That probably just means you may be getting a bit hasty. It's definitely hard to get in. He is another melee that has great normals that just slightly outrange yours. That said, since you only need one combo to win, play this match up very patiently, but extremely aggressively because the opponent also knows you only need one to win. Also keep in mind that you can't really 236s-k chipp unless you are super close. So instead, 2d into tk dragon kick, which means chipp is kind of like May and Millia. Make sure you master this because you need to be able to take him out if you manage to land a 2d somewhere. In the air, while not as easy as against other characters, Jam still has the advantage (gotta kind of fear jd though, but your js is still better). I don't know if there are many chipp videos on the net. I really don't have too much experience vs chipp. The only really good ones I played was when I was in Japan. I didn't meet a good player in Taiwan for chipp, and I have yet to play a chipp main in US.

uh since the new forums aren't getting any posts at all im gonna close this topic for awhile just to promote people to use the new match up forums.

Can anyone make a Zappa matchup in the matchups thread? I´m having sort of a hard time dealing with the sword and the ghosts.

Did you try reading the Zappa match-up thread? Maybe they have questions on how to get around some of Jam's stuff? But yeah, more match-up threads would be cool.

This may sound like a stupid advice, but it worked for me in many vs. chipp matches. I dont really know why, but many chipp players have the tendency to dash forward on you when you jump backwards.... (I figured that out after a few rounds). so I do jump backwards, back-air-dash -> ryuujin (I don't know why, but they eat a counter hit 80% of the time!) ...then you just 6HS, HS and you have your wallslam to finish the annoying junkie ninja off!

Baiting people into a 214K is amazing, but if you use it too much they can punish you for it. After a 214K I usually: Dash > c.S > j.S > j.P. > j.S > JC > j.H > 236K. Also note that you can only do that after a 214K while you're in the air, or in an air-dash, because you won't have enough time to run up near/under them for the c.S if you do it while standing.

Ryuujin(236k) isn't the same as 214k(gekirin) ... and i'm not realy certain if air back dash gekirin can be punished other by using OD by Chip. for air Back Dash Ryuujin, if spaced right Chip can 6hs/6p/B blade it for a nice CH =3

against Sol/OS is just about to bait everything or he will kill you :vbang: but on OS case it become even more dangerous and real pain in the ass, basicaly any random hit that Jam/OS does on each other was fairly equal, but he has more option to put a pressure on Jam on the ground Jam Burst Rush will lead into losing at least 50% of her lifebar, stupid air dashing will also eat 5s/hs counter, on Sol case the Cross Up games was a pretty reliable tactic, but on OS matchup, he has moves to stuff her up(GB)... err i play Jam on Sol matchup and using OS on Jam OS match up the Sol match up baiting & patience was the important key, and OS match up will become even more frustrating than Sol match up for Jam :vbang:

I would say that one of the best things against OS is to wait, and punish him. Rushdown pressure game is completely overwhelemed by 5S, and sometimes 6p is interupted by 5HS. I couldn't believe it until I realized, just how quick his attacks are. The frame number must be low I am assuming, because in some cases parrying doesn't even have the potential of helping. His pressure is worst, because it can start up from a distance, before steadily, advancing closer. So far, the only strategy I can give you for this, is to wait for an opening, and land a good 2S on him. Other then baiting out his VV, and using the Sol strategy, the only difference is that, OS can be more random then Sol. So punishing may end up a little tricky. You could lure the Order-Sol in parry, and proceed to comboing him into wallstick combos if ya want. after every f,5S TK into a Ryujin. You have to try to get the most out of an oppertunity, but you have to be smart about how you act. Its good to have one or two of the special kicks charged up. FD canceling is must, in this match-up, but be warned. One false move and game-over. But denfensive play is best for this fight IMHO.