Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FlashMetroid

[GGAC] Jam Match-up Thread

Pot buster isn't scary ... random knockdown into 50% of my bar gone to unblockable BS is. Is it possible with jam's parry to parry the aegis than jump/FD away from the Slidehead/other attacks?

aegis is free parry, if he try to use that lock down. Problem is, if you do it everytime, you will get bustered upon parrying. Mix it up a little, but yes, parry nullifies aegis. Afterwards, 2s, 2d, back dash, air back dash, jump FD, etc.

Does Parry have delay? If not wouldn't jumping/FD get you out of Potbuster? (My notation may be bad I mean Jump/FD to mean jump faultless in air.) I can't try this all out till this weekend but i'm happy to know i can get out of that BS :yaaay:.

any info on how to deal with testament? i mean, if he's seting up traps most of the time and most normals i try to hit them with get me counterd by either the net itself or exe beast, and tk ryuujin wont reach because of the net. but if he does anything stupid i can punish but the chance doesn't come all the time, and if im close i can do right about anything even his poisen counter thing isn't that scary, it's just those nets he puts are annoying. plz help.

1 frame jumping refers to canceling your jump startup frames into faultlessing. For some reason the game prioritizes that you are blocking over jumping, but you are also in a jumping state sort of, so it just pops you up off the ground instantly and you are fding. You can tell you did it right if when you jump where is no dust/what ever effect that comes from where you jumped. This is useful for chicken guarding out of bad block strings and in many cases as a reversal option on wakeup, but it is slightly hard to do consistantly. Basically it's like kara jumping.

Er... If I remember right if during his block string he doesn't FRC a beast (the one that attacks behind you) you can power through to him with a 236S~D, but I only have casual Testies here unfortunately so don't know how reliable my Testy matchup is. Against mine I typically just try and play patiently and wade through the sea of BS he throws out by dismantling traps with slashes until I can dash in on him and get inside. Also keep in mind anytime you run in on Testy he's going to have a tree below him and a net nearby so be mindful of where those are and plan your rush in accordingly. I tend to not go into the air to do much except to dismantle traps and hit him out of the air if he jumps (Why testy would jump in I don't know). Once I'm in I go into the air for crossups, but attacking in the air tends to make me eat nets if i just fly around all the time. Parrying a beast and dashing in or waiting for him to not FRC one tends to be the easiest way in. Er...TK Ryuujin gets you caught by traps?? I coulda swore you could blow through them with Ryuujin. However Eddie ... we got a few competitive Eddies here in OKC :vbang: . Wtf is up with little eddie sometimes taking a hit for Eddie? I did a FB Puffball the otherday and little eddie ate it when him and eddie were standing on the same spot leaving me standing there like a fool to eat a combo into knockdown.

Of course little eddie will eat the hit if it's there. However, keep this in mind; little eddi's hitbox disappears after most of his attacks (the ones that matter at least), so if you time things right, you will hit eddie. While it's an advantage most of the time for eddie, there are definitely intances in this match up that you can use it against him.

lol, most of the time i just 2k or 2d it to death but when it eats something I intended for Eddie which would've killed it anyway if it hit for some actual dmg I get annoyed. I mean the thing crawls along the ground wtf is up with it eating mids. Still working on the May matchup :vbang: . People bitching about Jams priority never have played may as far as i'm concerned. It seems to come down to who hits the other first which is incredibly annoying. Really only thing that prevents her from mauling me is a LOT of FD'ing. I FD absolutely every one of her strings so keep her off my ass. Like she can just gatling into an input throw > than 60%+ combo easy otherwise which is incredibly annoying. If you see the Dolphin where she jumps off (I think it's her FB dolphin) I high reccomend FD'ing the dolphin or else your eating an input throw. Her sweep anchor uh... 3D maybe? is annoying but if you block it it's a free counterhit combo which basically garuntees you the round if you have a card. Oh ya...whoever said you can anti-air her falling anchor...video or it isn't true cuz if May's falling just get the hell out of the way cuz you aren't beating that with anything Jam has.

People bitching about Jams priority never have played may as far as i'm concerned.

I have always said that Jam's priority sucks big time, and I have been flamed on pretty much every single GG-related forum for that...

Most of hits (of pretty much any other chars except maybe Anji and Ky) she has priority on out-range her! Those who disagree never played in japanese arcades!

Jam used to have good priority in #RELOAD... I give you that, but it's far from being as good as before in slash and AC!

Jam only has good priority when you are in and pressuring your opponent. Her strength comes form the speed of her normals rather then their ability to flat out beat stuff. The only exception to this really is 6h and 2s. If spaced properly these two moves have amazing priority, but using 2s properly is less than intuitive. You want to aim for the invisible hit box on the end of her fingers to be the part intersecting with your opponents attacks and not so much her hand it self. I think 6h is pretty self explanitory. As for anti-airing May, if shes rocking either j.h or j.2h bacially your only option is throw her before she gets the j2h out or just parry > 5p. Her j.h is a lot like slayers where even if you can actually 6p it 10% of the time, why try? The ch combo she gets off the failed attempts is not worth it. As for dolphin rape, you can 6p the ones she doesn't fb.

Jam has very nice active frame (or priority) on several moves. Biggest issue will always be range though, but once within range, things are easy. I think many people think Jam has amazing priority overall because 1. She can slide into her attacks like other rushdown characters, so she can pre-empt her attacks, making it seem like it has more active frame then it actually does. 2. She has endless amount of frame traps, which, if the opponent keeps getting hit by them, feels like they keep getting out "prioritized". In my opinion, it's just whether if she is in range or not. For this instance, May actually does out-prioritize Jam though, I think. if you don't approach the fight cautiously, May will blow you into pieces. May can pre-empt jh at mid-range and will beat anything you throw out (Unless you hit her before the hit comes out, but the trade-off is horrid). She can pre-empt 5h as AA. She can pre-empt 2d, one of several moves that truly out-prioritize opponents with its ridiculous amount of active frames. All that said, this isn't as horrid as slayer match up in my opinion. May doesn't take damage well, so while I sound like a broken recorder, all you need to do is be patient.

lol, most of the time i just 2k or 2d it to death but when it eats something I intended for Eddie which would've killed it anyway if it hit for some actual dmg I get annoyed. I mean the thing crawls along the ground wtf is up with it eating mids.

Still working on the May matchup :vbang: . People bitching about Jams priority never have played may as far as i'm concerned. It seems to come down to who hits the other first which is incredibly annoying. Really only thing that prevents her from mauling me is a LOT of FD'ing. I FD absolutely every one of her strings so keep her off my ass. Like she can just gatling into an input throw > than 60%+ combo easy otherwise which is incredibly annoying. If you see the Dolphin where she jumps off (I think it's her FB dolphin) I high reccomend FD'ing the dolphin or else your eating an input throw. Her sweep anchor uh... 3D maybe? is annoying but if you block it it's a free counterhit combo which basically garuntees you the round if you have a card. Oh ya...whoever said you can anti-air her falling anchor...video or it isn't true cuz if May's falling just get the hell out of the way cuz you aren't beating that with anything Jam has.

Why don't you just parry the dolphin then stop her with 2s?

UPDATE The match ups ratios (IN MY OPINION) 6.5 - 3.5 : Anji, Axl, Johnny, Bridget, Anji 6.0 - 4.0 : Ky, Chipp, Dizzy, Zappa, I-no, Venom 5.5 - 4.5 : May, Millia, Robo, Testament 5.0 - 5.0 : Jam, Eddie, Pot 4.5 - 5.5 : Slayer, Sol, Baiken 4.0 - 6.0 : Faust, HOS

Why don't you just parry the dolphin then stop her with 2s?

lol, cuz i'm not to good with the parry. I typically fuck up the timing. Still pretty new to the game, I'll get better at it with practice. Er... also I rarely see anyone parry anything in vids. Like 1 a match normally if that.

lol' date=' cuz i'm not to good with the parry. I typically fuck up the timing. Still pretty new to the game, I'll get better at it with practice. Er... also I rarely see anyone parry anything in vids. Like 1 a match normally if that.[/quote']

You really should get it down though. Its exactly what works well against her falling anchor as well.

For practice...

Just try and think of some REALLY obvious stuff. GG has lots of predictable things that you can't do too much about most of the time with most characters.

Some examples include...

Sol's Gun Flame and Ky's multi-hitting fireball on wakeup. (in sol's case, just f.S, 2S, or 2P. In ky's case, 214K after the parry)

Sol's Bandit Revolver should NEVER hit Jam unless it's being comboed into

Pot's dive and May's dive are very very easy to parry (just don't do it too early!)

Millia's disc and Testament's blood nets are a bit different. They're easy to parry on wakeup, but that can often get you in big trouble because they can hit you with a meaty low along with their meaty uh... "projectile"

Anji's butterfly is sorta in-between because he can sometimes hit you with a meaty low, and sometimes he cant ;p

Parry > 214K is one of my favorite things in the world. Mainly because I hate eddy so much and it works against him. Be wary if you don't have meter to RC in case it gets blocked however.

On that note, 214K is also great for block strings against certain characters. Mainly Test and Eddy. If you know when they're gonna send out sexy beast or little eddy, go for 214K.

After the parry people usually go for...

5P(anti air into juggle)

2P(stuff things, mash it or gatling into 2K or something else quick and/or low to disable teddy bears, little eddies, dizzy fish, etc...)

or 2S(hoping for the CH) depending on the situation.

Sometimes you may see

6P (extra safety, plus now you can combo into her new strings)

236236H (flashy and big damage--i've had lots of success with it, but i've also seen it blocked, even with the parry, in about half a dozen match vids--it's usually an attempt to punch a hole in a really good, multi-hit pressure move like Chipp's HS(i think) and Sol's HS)

If you're crazy, go for 214K, 236SP, or 5S like me :yaaay:

(note... I have little experience in AC and some of these things may not work as well in this version as most of my competitive experience has been outside/before AC)

UPDATE

The match ups ratios (IN MY OPINION)

6.5 - 3.5 : Anji, Axl, Johnny, Bridget, Anji

6.0 - 4.0 : Ky, Chipp, Dizzy, Zappa, I-no, Venom

5.5 - 4.5 : May, Millia, Robo, Testament

5.0 - 5.0 : Jam, Eddie, Pot

4.5 - 5.5 : Slayer, Sol, Baiken

4.0 - 6.0 : Faust, HOS

Can you explain to me why you think Baiken is 4.5:5.5 in your opinion?

i think dp after parry is bad idea overall. Personally, I always parry first hit of charge stun edge, and then I just either block the rest (and occationally SB the last hit), or I 6p, which goes right through the rest of the hits. In any case though, parry is very important. The risk/reward is well worth it considering Jam's damage output in AC, so it's best if you learn it, no matter how difficult it may seem to you. IB parry into parry backdash, parry 2s (or 2p, 5k, whatever), etc gets me out of most situations, and I personally find it impossible to safely get out of those situations without it. Also, you can go one level higher and just burst cancel everything. I don't suggest it though. Edit: Just noticed Flash's new match up evaluation. The only one I disagree with is HOS. There are some others too, but those are marginal.

I agree with how he dispursed the characters, but I presonally feel that may/test/robo are not in Jam's favor. I wouldn't go as far as to say she is at disadvantage(at least not vs robo), but she is deffinately not clearly at advantage either. I also disagree about baiken being up there with our hardest matchups. Test gives me much more trouble than baiken as long as I'm playing smartly. The only thing she really has going for her are some decent air moves and every thing ending in knock down. Robo has a bunch of unpuffballable shit that all funnels into massive damage, and May has the hardslash button and her combos go forever on Jam(damn her light weight and yet massive hitbox >.>). May easily outdamages Jam in that match.

lol yes I intend on getting better at parrying, but with my current parrying abilities anything more than a wakeup CSE from Ky I typically whiff and eat a nice chunk of dmg. Though the local slayer was surprised the first time I parried his j. HS into an air combo :yaaay: .

Jam vs May is just all about patience. May doesn't out damage Jam because May takes a lot of damage and is just as easy for Jam to combo. 2d anywhere is scary for may because it links into kicks with no timing required.