Sign in to follow this  
FlashMetroid

Jams Basics Thread

This thread is to make it easy for people to learn the basics and to stop people from making threads for 1 little thing(im tired of seeing threads on how to TK ryuujin) Ask your basic questions here Basic Pokes 5K - Low hitting move really fast and cancels into just about every poke 5P - Fast poke wiff alot of crouching characters for a nice grab set up 5S(far) - Nice range JCable and Is usually the last hit before you TK ryuujin for more damage 5S(close) - This is a wierd poke this is what I use as anti air I guess you just have to make your own opinion about this poke 5HS - Nice poke if blocked raises gaurd bar ALOT 5D - Pretty fast dust and its kind of hidden 6K - IMO its pretty useless now havent found much use for it 6P - Upper body invin. cancels in and out of 2p 6HS - The ultimate poke does everything except anti air heh 6HS follow up - Nice damage always sticks 2P - Really fast cancels into alot of things nice tick throw set up 2K - Completely useless imo but you make your own opinion 2S - Another great poke on the ground alot of priority staggers on counter hit 2HS - Mainly used for combos I use it as anti air in some match ups 2D - Super fast, nice range this poke is awesome JP - The only use I have for this is off of an IAD JK - Used for combos when S or HS is out of range mostly JS - Nice poke hits right above her and has alot of priority if they are on top of you they are gonna lose JHS - Nice hit box hits on both sides JD - hits 2 times 2nd hit wall bounces on CH Special property on special moves TigerKnee Ryuujin(faster than floor Ryuujin) 2369k or 9236k AD Kenroukaku (This one goes down) 6623k AD 214K Gekirin (This has less arch and goes straight down) 66214K AD 236P Choujin (This one goes straight down instead of doing a flip foward) 66236P Basic Combos [Dust] No meter: D, Homing Jump, j.Hx3, j.S, JC, dj.S-H, 236K D, Homing Jump, FD, j.H (ID), land, hold 4, S-2H(1)-6H, 5S, j.D, 214K 1/4 tension: D, Homing Jump, FD, j.H (ID), land, hold 4, 5S-2H(1), 236SD, dash 2H(1)-6H-H Asanagi-K: D, Homing Jump, FD, j.H (ID), land, hold 4, 5S-2H(1), 236K, 236K, 2H(1)-6H-H [AA] No meter: AA Parry, P-S©, JC, j.D, 214K AA j.S, JC, dj.D, 214K AA 2H-6H, S-2H-6H-H [Throw] No meter: Throw, hj.D, 214K 1/4 tension, corner: Throw, FRC, S-2H(1)-6H-H, dash 2S-2H(1)-6H-H (doesn't work on Sol) [CH j.D (2nd hit), CH 236SS, 236SH] No meter: dash 5S-5S, j.S-P-S, dj.D, 214K No meter, corner: dash 2H(1)6H-H, dash 2S-2H(1)-6H-H Asanagi-K: 236K, 236K, loop 1/4 tension (Asanagi-K) [1/2 tenstion]: 236SD, 236SH (236K) [236SD], loop [General] No meter, No charge: Ground Gatling Chain, 5H(3), 6H, 6P, 5H(3), 6H, 2D IAD 214K, dash 2H(1), 6H, 5S, j.D ?214K Gatling Chain, 2D, 22K or 22D(Pick cards) j.H, land, 6P, 5H(3), 6H, 2D j.S, JC, dj.D, 214K 1/4 tension: Anything, 5H(3), 236SD, 236SH, loop Asanagi-K: Chain, 5H(3) or 2D, 236SK, 236K, land, loop CH 2S, dash 2D, 236SK, 236K, land, loop AA CH j.S, JC, dj.H, 236K, 236K, land, loop 1/2 tension: j.2K(1), RC, land, 5S, 5H(3), 6H, 6P, H(3), 6H, H Take any wall 1/4 or charged combo and do dash S-2H > 236SD after first wall stick. Continue rest of combo. Full tension dizzy (It dizzed Sol instantly every time, so the random modifier didn't come into play to muck things up): CH 236SS, 236SD x4, dash 2H(1)-6H-H IK! (hopefully)

Midscreen you can just do 5d > h h h s p s jc s h ryuujin. Does as much or more than the midscreen ID in most cituations. I think you have to make some slight alterations on certain characters, like baiken, in order to connect with the ryuujin at the end.

In the corner, impossible dust, either the jh 214k, or just the jc jh. It's character dependent, so figure that out yourself. Both goes into 2h and loop (close enough just start 6h, if not, use FB to get close to the wall). In the middle of the screen, if you want a charge kick, do impossible dust, if you can kill, do the regular dust combo.

There is no guaranteed charge after any air combo, other than a point blank charged kick near the wall. In the rare instances (I usually just continue to chase them down), at least for me, at low-mid height, I do anything into jd into 214k, then I either time a 236s-h so that they have to FD it, or I just charge. It's not guaranteed, but switching between the two of them is a good way to confuse an opponent occationally. Of course, it does not work vs all characters, as some will be right back into your face immediately. I'd still suggest continuous rushdown before the opponent has a chance to land though. That's the best approach really in my opinion. Air vs air Jam is basically unbeatable.

Flash, you should add a section up there on oki. Just list the basic options, then get into slide stuff, and then maybe try to tackle Mike style options. It'd also be nice to include where dropping your combos for a kd is most ideal in order to be able to make your mixup close to meaty. Thanks

Flash, you should add a section up there on oki. Just list the basic options, then get into slide stuff, and then maybe try to tackle Mike style options. It'd also be nice to include where dropping your combos for a kd is most ideal in order to be able to make your mixup close to meaty.

Thanks

ehh ill do that stuff later I honestly dont think its that good but ill do it if thats what you people want

also Mike doesnt seem that good to me IMO(LOOK IT SAYS IMO)

EDIT - changed my mind about mike after watching videos....hes pretty damn good alittle risky though ill break it down later

1/4 tension:

Anything, 5H(3), 236SD, 236SH, loop

Asanagi-K:

Chain, 5H(3) or 2D, 236SK, 236K, land, loop

CH 2S, dash 2D, 236SK, 236K, land, loop

AA CH j.S, JC, dj.H, 236K, 236K, land, loop

What is loop?

Also, what are some basic blockstrings?

:china:

basic block strings would be like 5k s(s if you want) 6h or 5h (1 or 2 hits) 6h. More advanced block strings generally utilize a lot of 2p and 5k to put you on advantage so you can trick your opponent into thinking you're going to keep attacking in the same way, and ultimately bait a 2s CH when they attack at the wrong time. At any time during the more advanced string you also have the option to throw. Also, chaining into 2d > 236s s can be a good way to apply pressure as well as leading to juiiiiicy CH's if your opponent tries anything dumb. Rule of thumb though is 5h(3) > 6H will get you killed. Ultimately Jam pressure should be more overwhelming for your opponent than tricky. She's not about fast high/low, but rather frame traps, and the occasional ballsy crossup 214k. Abusing crossup jh is also good in most matchups, but as with anything, you can't allow your self to be predictable. One random trick you can use ever so often against people who are gung ho about sbing your 6h is set them up for an easy to slashback 6h and either throw them or let them sb nothing and use those 30 odd frames of unblockability. If any of this is wrong feel free to ad your wisdom to the pile flash/doren.

Well, first off it's 46, not 64 =D Secondly, in the command list it's listed as 546... I THINK that means you can't just be holding back and blocking, then hit 6 and parry things. You have to do it from standstill. Also, it only works on mids and highs; it doesn't catch lows. Most common and general best use is for anti-air, especially since Jam's 6P is pretty bleh.

so i'm a total newb at GG (got the game today), some questions: what does 236P do (choujin)? she seems to just jump in the air a little quicker what is FB puffball? i've seen it a lot and don't know what it is. how do you do forcebreaks? for Hyappo Shinshou it just says D ; for hochifu/goku just 22D > K or S or H. when i try "D" nothing happens and 22D > K she'll just charge up a blue ball and that's it.. when do you hit K? and forcebreaks make the background go red just for reference? i can do the 3 overdrives and the instant kill in practice mode but i can't figure out the forcebreaks. this game is pretty hard, been getting owned by the CPU :(

so i'm a total newb at GG (got the game today), some questions:

www.read-the-basics-threads-on-dustloop.com

^^

what does 236P do (choujin)? she seems to just jump in the air a little quicker

well... yeah.. that's what she does. You can can use it for pressings and/or cross over setups. there is also a FRC on it to play a cross-over/throw mindgame.

what is FB puffball? i've seen it a lot and don't know what it is.

Force Break puffball... 236+S~D

how do you do forcebreaks?

see above...

for Hyappo Shinshou it just says D ; for hochifu/goku just 22D > K or S or H. when i try "D" nothing happens and 22D > K she'll just charge up a blue ball and that's it.. when do you hit K?

22+D, then you can charge 2 kicks of your choice during the animation.

for example, if I want 2x charged ryuujin I would input: 22+D, K, K

and forcebreaks make the background go red just for reference?

no...

i can do the 3 overdrives and the instant kill in practice mode but i can't figure out the forcebreaks.

recapitulation:

FB puffball: 236+S~D

charge FB: 22+D~K, S, HS (two ov'em... which ever you want.)

this game is pretty hard, been getting owned by the CPU :(

oOHWWwwwright... mhmmmm...

Perhaps, it would be wiser to choose another character to start with... Jam is cute, but tricky to play. It is easier to learn the game basics using a broken and noobish easier to play char.. say Sol for example...

Personally, I started with Ky and Chipp before learning Jammy.

So on heavies you can do launcher(iad 214k, 2d frc, throw frc, maybe even iad dp, havn't tested) into 2h(2/1 depending on situation/character) 6h, 5s/5k 2h(hits character dependant) 6h h or puff ball or charge kick, what ever you want. Does any one actually use this 2h loop, like vs johnny or pot it is fairly easy to get, and can lead to significantly more damage than the generic iad 214k midscreen combo. Robo ky is a lot harder to time it against than johnny or pot. You can also get it on midweight characters out of a 2dfrc, and can lead to substantial damage, but I can't decide if I'm willing to master hitting 2d frc just for a silly combo like this. In any case, I think we've only really seen it explored in 1 cmv so far(Xeno's 2nd I think), and I'm wondering if there's any one who uses these combos?

Hey I'm pretty new to the GG series, but i think i'm doing pretty well for only playing it for about 3 weeks or so. Got my Corner loop setups down, decent pressure, and a few other things, but it's all a work in process. One of the things the better players do that I tend to have difficulty with is whenever I recover at a bad time they air throw me . However, in similiar situations when i try to air throw the same peoople when they recover they just hit me when i try to throw them and typically get a small yet decent chunk of dmg for my attempt to punish their teching. I don't try it everytime but considering i tried it about 2 times a match and both times I got hit leading to losing about 20% of my life i wasn't very happy about it. Best i managed when they throw me is to break the throw. My question is this throw garunteed if timed correctly and you guess how they tech correctly? If so that would mean i'm just timing my shit badly which I very well may. Or when someone recovers can they do a quick attack to beat out the throw attempt? If you can beat it out with an attack which one should jam use?

its called tech baiting and selective tech. if you can guess where your opponents going to tech you can throw them as soon as they tech, if done right you will throw them, you can't beat out a throw with a regular attack if your in range. yeah, you are just doing it wrong. selective tech is when you tech at a different time/direction because your anticipating them to be on you. in general when your teching your at the disadvantage that's why you tech at different time to throw of your opponent. jam's js is great air ro air move and its great for tech bait punishing.

Perhaps, it would be wiser to choose another character to start with... Jam is cute, but tricky to play. It is easier to learn the game basics using a broken and noobish easier to play char.. say Sol for example...

Personally, I started with Ky and Chipp before learning Jammy.

jam is a pretty good starting character imo. shes very easy to play, shes like a shotokan without any projectiles. has easy combos/moves and is always high tire since reload. good starting charcter.

jam is a pretty good starting character imo. shes very easy to play, shes like a shotokan without any projectiles. has easy combos/moves and is always high tire since reload. good starting charcter.

I am sorry but I have to completely disagree on that... I play Ryu in SF2 and 3S, and Jam plays NOTHING like it! (beside the fact that I don't know how you can compare GG with SF gameplay...)

I don't think Jam is easy to play... it depends on your opponent's skill, but timing and distance, pokes, launchers and guard breaks are hard with Jam as she is a very short range char. no distance move -> pressing at oki depends a lot on the matchup and combos are not easy as you can't do "the same thing" all the time. You have to deal with a lot of factors to get your combos in. (char's weight, distance from the wall and height of the wall-slam)

I don't know against who you play, I can tell you that in Japanese arcades, against guys who know the game like we know alphabet, Jam is waaaay harder to play than Sol/Ky/OS/Slayer or Pot and if you play her as a SF shoto, you gonna get your pants pulled down each round in a few seconds.

If the guys you are playing against are beginners too, then yes, Jam is ok to start with... but if you are trying to join a group that is already quite familiar with the game, then I believe that starting with another char is wiser.

The hard thing about playing Jam in Japan Atryu is that for starters, she has generally bad matchups against the rest of the top tier(Eddie/Test/Slayer), and her weight is light, but in a way that makes her easy to combo(like a regular jam loop works on jam, even though it feels like it shouldn't, and leaves more room for error than a normal weight character). She is also very hard to play against people that turtle well(imo), ie robo/hos/generally the other close range characters because generally they trade speed for priority. Like certain zoning tools can only really be beat with fb, and then most of those characters have options to stuff fb so it becomes a much trickier guessing game for Jam. Also if you start with Jam, you are going to learn a very weird style of defense based around opening holes with Parry that other characters couldn't dream of, and it is kind of different to start there before learning to guard traditionally. I'm not saying Jam is a bad character in any way, but just trying to reiterate what Atryu was saying about how when played at the higher levels she becomes much less of a brainless character. Like right now, my game is still evolving from how I play vs americans, to the true style of GG. Basic frame traps don't really work in Japan because they will simply block and watch for you to do something they know they can beat 100%(5d 6h). Ever so often they get tricked into getting hit by a fb or 2s, but it's not reliable. Honestly the only way I'm winning these days is if I just play to counter their attempt at zoning me out, but then again I play a lot against test/eddie/hos. I'd say pick sol or testament to learn on, and then reconsider coming back to Jam.

This is the opinion of playing against people that play at evo and other GG events after only playing the game since it was released in America. I don't know if i could be considered the standard though as i have a lot of experience in other fighting games including MB, 3S, and CvS2. They are still better than me but roughly one month's experience is hard to compare to a couple years with different GG games, but it's not like i don't get a few matches and win games consistantly. Playing with better players is the best way to improve your game radically in a short amount of time. Maybe it's just the couple hours i've spent in training mode to make sure i got my combo's down, but really combo'ing different characters i don't find that bad. Bridget, Baiken, Faust, Slayer, HOS, Pot, Johnny, Anji, Jam, May, Eddie, I-no, Robo-Ky, Ky, and Sol all are played in my area and really once you figure the characters that your going to have problems catching with a 6HS after a 2d > 236S~K > 236K (card) your golden as most of them aren't really that different after you catch the 6HS. If you don't think you'll catch the 6HS cuz they are to high just catch them with an air combo as if they are that high your not going to get a knockdown so get some dmg off it. If i catch the 6HS as they drop (which i do every time i go for it). Just do 6HS, HS, (run in) 2HS (1), 236S~D, (run in) 6HS, HS,(run in) 5K, 2HS (1), 6HS, HS. If they are close to the wall i just do a 5K, 2HS (1), before the first 6HS. Works on all of them in training mode and never had anyone tech out in game. Sol is the only one your really need to do the first run in on cuz he has a wierd hit box when falling or so it seems to me. Really only issue comboing from different characters comes from non-FRC throw followups are hard on Lights especially baiken imo, but thats what FRC's are for :eng101:, and hell Jam gets so much Tension using 25% for a good 20%+ is a good idea. _____________________________________________________________________________ Really picking another character cuz they deal with zoning better doesn't really prepare you for jam or whatever when dealing with the same problems. Those characters deal with it easier cuz their tools are easier to stop it with or work better at that range. Playing Jam is the only way your going to learn to use her tools to stop their shenanigans with her tools. Playing Jam teaches you one thing for sure. To block, lol. Your DP isn't as spammable as the rest of the casts when you get in a sticky situation, and I'd say that is a good thing as most bad/new players with a strong reversal option tend to become dependent on it for switching the momentum of a match, or at least this is true in Capcom games. However, good players aren't going to get caught by it more than once or so than they are going to bait it for punishment for free dmg. Parrying is definately one of her more advanced options Jam has and one i don't have mastered yet. I really only try to parry attacks that are painfully obvious on wakeup, for example Pot's 6HS or Ky's 6HS. This allows me to get out of sticky situations and depending on distance change the momentum of the match. Painfully obvious jump ins i do it on occassionally but I normally opt for a f.S or j.S. Most of the attempts i try i end up just canceling into a c. guard as i'm more safe blocking and searching for a 2S, Backdash, 6P, try to block till the pressure eases up enough to escape it carefully, or if i feel ballsy a 236S~D. Japanese "style" i would argue is simply better players caused by a stronger gaming scene than most of the scenes in America. Larger Arcade scene, America players being more spread out and such but that's not what i'm here to argue. Japanese tend to be much more safe when they are being aggressive, opt for less high risk/high reward options than American players, and be very strong defensively. Against strong players you'll have to be strong with whatever character you use. Any player who acts "brainlessly" v. good players is just going to get punish'd for mistakes and pick'd apart by pokes and a strong offense. So really any character you play that you don't know how to keep safe when your attacking and don't know how to get out from under pressure is going to get beaten terribly. _____________________________________________________________________________ A new player really should just pick a character they want to learn than read as much as they can about them, and watch videos and see how different players deal with different scenarios. Than play as much as you can to learn to implement their strategies. If your sick of having to fight to get in versus zoning characters pick a character that deals with zoning easier so you don't have to deal with it. No matter who you pick though your going to have to learn to properly play them, and work with their weaknesses and strengths which will require some time.

Sign in to follow this