Sign in to follow this  
FlashMetroid

Jams Basics Thread

Just jump towards him and you'll be fine. Afterwards you can do whatever mix-ups you want because he'll be stuck doing his standing HS thus making him open for an air attack.

or if u kno for sure he's gonna throw u can just do 6HS because it IS throw invincible then combo off the counter hit.:eng101: 6HS > 6P > 5HS > 6HS > 6P > 5HS > 6HS HS then charge up your ryuujin( 2,2 + K) VERY BASIC:keke:

236P? Does it have much real use? Only time I ever use it is when I smell someone trying to sweep me out of a 236S dash (namely May has her sweep/anchor sweep beats 236S~anything clean 100% of the time). A local guy showed me a cool trick with it by airdashing into the downward version into a low, but it's kinda've gimmicky so it's one of those once in a blue moon type setups. I saw Flash and Doren using it in there SER-v.2 matches but it didn't really seem to be accomplishing much imo. Like to fake a cross-up into a non-crossups and stuff but it was really slow and obvious so it didn't seem amazingly useful. Also thanks for the corner crossup trick after a wall combo guys :yaaay: I have most definately incorporated it into my game.

I personally use the flip very very often for manuvering purposes. I don't think I can live without that move currently. It's an extra jump (albeit not 100% safe).

I personally use the flip very very often for manuvering purposes. I don't think I can live without that move currently. It's an extra jump (albeit not 100% safe).

Can't the 236P FRC be used to make an unblockable off of a blocked 6P>5HS?

To bait anti-airs or what? A little more info would be appreciated. The idea has put some idea's into my head, but since it's so unsafe I don't imagine i'd use it very often.

By not 100% safe I mean there is a window where you can get counter hit. Otherwise, I'm not sure how to explain, I just use it as an extra jump, as stated. I can't really think of specific instances off the top of my head. The only one I can think of is using it in the corner to gain additional height so I can get out into the open, since you can super jump > flip > AD out. For shenanigans purposes however, you can use the IAD special to go downwards. This can be used as air-throw bait. The basic anything into 5s or 2d into IAD, but instead of 214k, jh, or just jp setups, you do the flip immediately. If conditioned correctly, the opponent will likely go for an air throw or try to poke you out of the air. In any case, you have the advantage at that point, just run under them and 2h. They either get hit, and you can start combo accordingly, or they FD, and lose a load of tension because 2h is 2 lv4 hits. The 236p frc crossup is also one of my favorite shenanigans once in awhile, but since the setup is quite specific, it won't fool anyone if you use it too often, so it's one of those once-a-month or longer type of setups. And as a final note, I think everyone knows the ground throw bait version already. It's just doing jh at a bad height (for you), so the opponent thinks he can IB and get a free throw on your landing, but you flip after jh, and then you can hit them on their recovery. This one is good because it makes them second guess themselves in the future, a very good conditioning move imo. Edit: additional note about the airthrow, poke bait, just to clear a few things up, because I'm sure it will be mentioned. The opponent won't 6p you if you condition them correctly with variable height IAD 214k, so don't worry about that. Besides, IAD 236p is totally safe to all AA as you should not be in range if done correctly.

I wouldn't say it's 100% safe to anit airs, because with certain characters (baiken/Johnny for example) blocking high can turn into 6p really easy if they read the crossup, and if they read you crossing them up with chojin you're going to get owned because it has no threat of beating their 6p/anti air of choice. Of course thats only going to happen if you are whoring the iad 236p too much, but it is something to think about. In one of the recent gc vids hamshou actually does a ground string ending in 2d and frcs a 236p out of it to get back in and not lose his pressure or do a risky iad. I think the others are right that the two biggest uses for 236p are 1: Using it as an extra air option, especially when your opponent thinks your out of options and is running to anti air you(like at the end of non-kd combos). If you watch kazu he does it almost every time he jumps. He kind of just floats around up there until he eventually comes down with a j2k or ad 214k. It's other uses are mixup related. In the corner you can do all sorts of confusing things with it, but the generic slide > 236p > ad across 214k is generally pretty strong as long as you don't over do it. Also I've taken to dorens technique of mixing between 236s s/h and 236s > 236p > air throw after I end a combo with a high 214k. Just mess around with it and find what works with your Jam.

Well if you want to get an easy tech air throw with the crossover flip just throw them then j.s,double jump,j.s, hs,flip *tech air throw. *It depends on which direction they tech. If they tech towards you then you have a very high chance of pulling off an air throw. If they tech and only fall then you 2 options: mini air combo or risk a 50% chance air throw which could lead to success or missing completely. If they tech away from you then more than likely you'll have a 10% chance of getting the air throw plus they'll have more time to get in a counter air attack if you miss. The only characters that I know this won't work on are those who are Jam's weight and lighter. If they are smart enough they'll see it coming and throw escape out of it other than that you'll get it or a small air combo in.

Very dumb question. In the first post, with the combo that goes like... Chain->2D->236SK->236K (Charged) -> 6H-Loop Does the 236K have to to TK'd? I was trying to do 23689K's today, but I kept missing them. Also, How fast should the 236SK be coming out, so that it doesn't turn into oki hits? All the practice was on Slash, but I don't think that would've made a difference (Up to the charged 236K)

there's no way u can tk 236k from 235sk unless u rc the 236sk what u do in that gattling is special cancel. 236sk need to be done really fast so it was count as aerial gattling. and on ch some character don't need to be 236sk'ed for eg May & Millia on 2d ch u can just double Ryuujin into 6H-loop (/\C only) err ... i didn't read u do it on slash... if i didn't mistaken, on Slash we can special cancel 236sk with any 3kick without charging first, but on /\C we can't special cancel without card

hmmmmk... basically, on SLASH, you can't 2D, 236+SK, 236+K in the first place. it's just not gonna connect...

hmmmmk... basically, on SLASH, you can't 2D, 236+SK, 236+K in the first place.

it's just not gonna connect...

it does on lighter characters. Harder, yes... but it does connect.

In the first post of the (locked) matchup thread, you mentioned something called "Burst Cancel". Now I know that you can't cancel attacks with bursts, otherwise I'd combo into gold burst every chance I got. Does Jam have some special property where she can cancel something, attack or otherwise, with a burst?

yeah, basically you are using the hitstop of parry to activate gold burst, go into FD to cancel animation, but still get the invincibility and retaining the meter.

jumping away can be good idea.. u can try 6hs if u have enough time (probably not if he tick-throw you :P) u can even try to mash 2p and it just might gonna work (and give u the initiative). but overall i guess jumping away for safety will do the trick. just be aware from baiting for it..

1/4 tension:

Anything, 5H(3), 236SD, 236SH, loop

This is probably a dumb question, but is there a specific timing/distance to combo the FB Puffball off 5H?

I've been playing Jam for a couple of days, every once in a while I get a gap in the combo above, between the 5H & the FB Puffball.

Does the number of hits before the Puffball matter?

Depending on the character I'm fighting against I do things like:

-ground chain > H(3)-6H, 6P(1)-H(3), 236S-D, etc

or

-ground chain > H(3)-6H, 6P(1)-H(3)-6H, 6P(1)-H(3), 236S-D, etc

Probably another dumb question, is 6H a reliable move to do on the opponent's wake-up?

I've seen some Japanese players doing it in some situations, I'm wondering if it's a good option against people who like to do supers/uppercuts or mash throw on wake-up.

u need to do the puff ball just when the 3rd hit of 5hs connect, and do the motion 236s just when the 3rd hit of 5hs almost connect ... i don't think there's any specific distance in this gattling but it's more about the timming. and 6h > those who mash throw (eg: Pot Buster) on wake up 6h < those who mash super/dp (eg: giganter :vbang:) on wake up as simple as that =/ ... it's an Oki option

For puffball after 5HS I input 236+S after the second hit of 5HS and press dust as or after the third hit lands. If I try inputting 236+S->D as or after third hit it usually doesn't work for me.

Probably another dumb question, is 6H a reliable move to do on the opponent's wake-up?

I've seen some Japanese players doing it in some situations, I'm wondering if it's a good option against people who like to do supers/uppercuts or mash throw on wake-up.

Usually its better to throw out a 1 or two 2P's on okizeme to bait out uppercuts, when dealing with shotos.Usually I just parry Sol's VV, and bait out Ky's AA as well. Considering the the 6H has good throw invincibility frames, that and if its blocked then you may be safe. I would advise against throwing it out too much, if someone knows how SB it. I like FDing into a throw, or possibly 2Sing. I do not use it often , but use it best randomly.

Oh and hey to all Jam players. I'm new to the Dustloop scene here but not GG^,^

Lately I've been practicing the ground chain, and about 80% of the time I drop the combo halfway through. So, my question is: do you have to start the chain off with a certain move, such as 6H, 6P, or 5H? Does this affect how much hit stun they have before they're able to block again? Mine usually ends up like this: 5H(3) > 6H > dropped combo. Sometimes I can mash 6P and it keeps the combo going, but I doubt this is all luck (or any combos for that matter). There's probably a small frame window when I can input the 6P, but I've been unable to find it so far. Any insight would be great. Edit: Also, does it matter if you start this chain after a 2H CH? Would that affect the hit stun during the combo at all?

Sign in to follow this