Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PhaethonH

[6/12 2v2] [6/26 Singles] - NorCal BlazBlue Ranbat Season γ-3

Extrapolating from past experience, 20 entrants is the approximate maximum to finish in 5 hrs in 2/3 double elim. Beyond 20, we'll have to resort to either single-elim 2/3 (total time ~= 6*(2*entrants) minutes), or double-elim 1/1 (3*(3*entrants) minutes). Had we stuck to double-elim 2/3 throughout, approx running time would have been 6*(3*29) minutes = 522 min = 8.7 hrs. From a start time of 6:30pm, expected finish time would have been 3am. Results to be posted later. Effin' 4am.

That, or starting the tournament earlier (4PM) or somehow convincing the staff to allow the second cabinet.

Despite the long - long - wait time, I've had quite a fun time watching loads of high level matches. Thanks for the turnout guys. All I can say is that I've been, deeply, humbled from this experience. After losing consecutive matches, it is a - refreshing - reminder that there's someone better than I. So, first and foremost, I want to apologize to anyone for my, overly, saltiness in the distant - or near - past. I let my frustration get the better side of my judgement. But if we had gone to In-N-Out, then I would have been extra salty. >:O

Starting earlier or changing it to single elimination doesn't solve all the problems. After feeling cheated out of a Saturday/tournament, I suggest that whenever there's a high turnout, maybe 18 or more, we: Use pools. Maybe groups of 3 or 4 where winner goes on. It's a little unfair, but at least people won't have to wait 2 hours in between matches and it's easier to make sure friends don't play each other. I think that's how KSK's gamersvision ran 3S ranbats. Then use brackets. Have an even number of pools and then bracket that, then run it as if it's a smaller tournament. Not that I'd go to any more tournaments anyway.

Thanks to everyone that came out! I was impressed and surprised we had 29 people... whoa! :looney: We' usually struggle to get 16 and we suddenly almost had double! Glad everyone came out.

I'm sorry we had to resort to making games best of one, but it was unavoidable due to time. There was literally no way we were going to finish by 12 using best of 3 games. In fact, I would've been surprised if we finished by 1 AM if we kept it to 2/3.

Anyways, GGs to all that showed up. If we get that many people next time, we'll have to make the tournament single elimination, best of 3 games.

Although it did suck I think it was the best thing we coulda done with the remaining time. But I think people would rather have double elim with 1 game instead of single elim out of 3. This way if some one gets a really bad first match it isnt over.

Had fun getting to play more then the usual 3 guys. Good games to all the casuals I got in, sorry about the saltiness, but it happens with competition. Next time I want drop combos, or rush for the little damage ones. Congrats to the winners though. On a side note, I probably won't make it out to many more of them seeing as my car got stolen less then 3 hours after I left the ranbats =/ Lesson of the story don't joke about you car getting stolen in San Francisco because more then likely your car will get stolen in San Francisco =/

man you guys may have won the BB tournament but i completely DESTROYED the winners cube game

30 or so people for bb: :):):):):)

waiting literally three hours between my matches in a loud hot smelly arcade: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this almost makes me miss ct, because this game is

30 or so people for bb: :):):):):)

waiting literally three hours between my matches in a loud hot smelly arcade: :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this almost makes me miss ct, because this game is

At least you weren't running it. :|

I was mad stressing about finishing on time.

i forgot to mention that you are a god for sticking with that shit i honestly would have just pulled an sjsu gg tourney and stopped early, but i'm not a god now am i

i forgot to mention that you are a god for sticking with that shit

i honestly would have just pulled an sjsu gg tourney and stopped early, but i'm not a god now am i

You're certainly not Jesus. Get it? Dohohoho~

It was kind of cool though. I technically made money off of the tournament because the manager gave me (and the top 3 players) $7.50 in credits for running such a long, tiring tournament. I'm still pretty tired from yesterday. :lol:

Again I apologize for the sudden "best of 1" scenario, but there really wasn't anything I could do for the tournament in order to make it finish at a reasonable time. Here's the ideas presented so far:

Format 1:

• Double Elim
  • Best of 1 game
  • Loser's Finals, Winner's Finals, Grand Finals best of 3 games

Format 2:

• Single Elim
  • Best of 3 games
  • Grand Finals are normal, 3rd place match fight

Format 3:

• Double Elim
  • Winner's Bracket best of 3 games, Loser's bracket best of 1 game

Feedback? Also open to suggestions.

On another note, most improved player award from me goes to Kelvin.

Yea I would go for format 1 or 3. 3 would take more time but it is a little better. And I also agree that Kelvin is getting better. He's able to take out more people at MGL now too.

Loser's final's give lower tier players more of a chance to actually get in there and fight imo.. I think it's a lot more interesting like that (I consider myself pretty low tier :/..). Single Elim Winner's is like "Okay, lets just watch Derek, Jared, and Willy kill everyone..." lol.. I'd go with one. Everyone gets in there, its short and sweet, and it saves time. But of course, it depends on the facing that day as well (eg. 30+ players rofl..)...

Oh, forgot to mention that entry fee would probably be reduced to $3 on all formats.

THREE DORRALS TO 720 ALL I WANT!? :psyduck:

:yaaay::yaaay::yaaay:

I like this. Tournament was a lot of fun, guys. I think I might go to the next one, whenever that happens (3/13 2v2, I guess).

Come to the tournaments to support the community and see more Tager bull shit 720 setups. Yes, I think about my setups at night.

Format 3:

• Double Elim
  • Winner's Bracket best of 3 games, Loser's bracket best of 1 game

Feedback? Also open to suggestions.

On another note, most improved player award from me goes to Kelvin.

Format 3 sounds about right for me, especially with a lot of people. AND it's going to be $3?! i'm so down.

and thanks doods! couldn't have gotten this far with the game without ya'll :china:

Regarding this saturday's ranbat, does DeVry happen to have an open gym or some sort of table tennis table nearby? If so...I CHALLENGE YOU TO PING PONG MONEY MATCH JOHN.

So I want to find the jerk(I KID!) who said I was playing in the tournament and hurt him. With 720's.

At least you weren't running it. :|

I was mad stressing about finishing on time.

It's like you got hit by HOKUTO ZANGAIKEN

I'm kind of a fan of the 1 and out format we switched to later in the evening, but I doubt my sentiments are echoed. Congrats to the Goryus Jared and Willie. Also, myself for keeping it together as long as I did without taking off for Luckys to grab a 40 oz. Wasn't easy, with all those people asking why Negro Ninja was still sober at 4 p.m. on a Saturday.

Regarding this saturday's ranbat, does DeVry happen to have an open gym or some sort of table tennis table nearby? If so...I CHALLENGE YOU TO PING PONG MONEY MATCH JOHN.

Thats so.... asian... XDDD

I know SJ State had ping pong tables... :x

By the way Scott.. if you thought John was a furry....

Then what the fuck is this..