Sign in to follow this  
Senxo

The Fighter Mentality

I see someone plays Magic...

I do! I do! though that's a very different thing that involves a lot of luck and a different type of strategy

yeah... that's why I get excited when a character gets a new move, because RPG mentality dictates it will fix the problems I have... I just can't wrap my head around some of the terms. frames I can't keep track of, and specific combos for specific characters, all that stuff is so foreign compared to: use OMNISLASH WIN BATTLEZZ! which is what I'm used to: an attack that will always be better then the previous. so I don't have the thought process to be that good. it all goes so fast compared to turn based battles and the all together slower combat in RPG's.

Yep yep. I'm getting used to keeping pressure, its just..throwing mixups man. I get the concept of fighting hard and doing combos etc etc. I just cannot, for the life of me, think about how to get into my opponents head AND win at the same time. I always feel like, while I'm over here playing mind games and what not, I could just be doing some more strict damage. Thats what inspired me to make the thread in the first place. I think that state of mind comes from lack of fighter experience in general, not just blazblue experience. Which sucks =(

Edit: Just adding that I do not agree with the "It's just a game" mentality. It still requires hard work and dedication to be good at, like anything else. So I can easily understand people taking it very seriously. The type of work that goes into these types of games is like none other. So if people are getting really into the competitive aspect, and making money, power to em i say.

I main Carl and feel bad about the infinite, to the point where I don't use it. Sure, it feels like an uphill battle every time, but especially against some of the easier to loop characters it doesn't seem like I actually have to fight for my wins if I just keep doing the throw + clap thing. Continuum Shift style mixups are also much more entertaining to watch. And making the game fun -- not just for myself, but also for my opponent -- is the main focus of my own mentality when playing BlazBlue or any multiplayer game online.

Different strokes for different people.

I agree with you completely. But it seems my friend that here in the Holy Temple Dustloop, Throne of Our Lord Guilty Gear and His only begotten Son Blazblue, we are the minority.

I agree with you completely. But it seems my friend that here in the Holy Temple Dustloop, Throne of Our Lord Guilty Gear and His only begotten Son Blazblue, we are the minority.

Go watch a high level Eddie, then tell me clap loop is broken.

Also, Digital Watches has posted his list at least twice since I've been a member. I think thats the best summery of skills needed in a fighting game I've seen yet.

EDIT: Second post on this page.

Play to be the best. That's my mentality. Everytime I play, I play to grow. It's not about winning or losing, but how I better myself. I love a good challenge and I love playing people better than myself.

Try to keep a cool head when playing fighters. Do that and everything comes easier, getting upset just clouds judgment and thus mistakes are more likely to happen. Cooler heads prevail.

sandbag like fuck online, the only way is the garrett way! real talk!

Try to ignore the shit connections most BB players have, then watch as you eat combos because poor Jimmy's mom can't afford any better than AOL 9.0 fuckin' OPTIMIZED. Strippers just don't get paid enough nowadays. Real answer; keep your cool. Practice, and learn from your mistakes. Jumping in over and over when your opponent knows he can AA you is a bad idea.

Play to be the best. That's my mentality.

Everytime I play, I play to grow. It's not about winning or losing, but how I better myself. I love a good challenge and I love playing people better than myself.

This is me I play to get better, and am always trying new things and often ask/give advice/support after a match. Seriously though if you just kicked my butt and I am probably going to try to play you 10 more times not for revenge or anything so that I can learn how to play better, I swear 90% of my improvement has come from 10% of my matches.

The hardest lesson I've been learning lately: Don't play on auto-pilot!! Part of your mentality, should be making sure you're using your brain with your hands, and not just your hands. Stay alert and don't just mash through the same pressure strings/combos over and over. By the 2nd match, a good player will adjust while you're still playing on auto-pilot and suddenly you'll find yourself in the last round of match 3 wondering what happened to that win you thought you were going to get. Also on that note, be very observant of what patterns the other player has. If you make someone block A attack, what do they do? Do they jump, counter, or continue blocking? If they countered, with what did they counter? Set up that situation again with your knowledge of what they've been doing all match, and have B attack ready to ruin whatever you've noticed they do.

The hardest lesson I've been learning lately: Don't play on auto-pilot!!

Part of your mentality, should be making sure you're using your brain with your hands, and not just your hands. Stay alert and don't just mash through the same pressure strings/combos over and over. By the 2nd match, a good player will adjust while you're still playing on auto-pilot and suddenly you'll find yourself in the last round of match 3 wondering what happened to that win you thought you were going to get.

Also on that note, be very observant of what patterns the other player has. If you make someone block A attack, what do they do? Do they jump, counter, or continue blocking? If they countered, with what did they counter? Set up that situation again with your knowledge of what they've been doing all match, and have B attack ready to ruin whatever you've noticed they do.

You can also go one step farther and bait their B attack, and if you can option select both the counter to of what you did the first time and what they did the first time, all the better.

That being said against good players read them and mixup, an interesting rule of thumb is that if someone does something twice you can be fairly certain they arn't going to do it a third time(something about doing something 3 times is to predictable thus almost no one does it), and if they do it a 3rd time they are on auto-pilot or they already know about this gambling fallacy.

I think a good fighter mentality is aggressive by nature. The willingness to go balls out and kick some ass stands as intimidating. i've always thrown people off by just jumping in someone's face with Tager and just bashing on them instead of back dashing and turtling like I see many Tagers do. To me, I see Tager as a big ass tank and should just run in and beat the crap out of some stupid Nu or Noel who think its an easy win. Its a high risk game, but the rewards are all the sweeter for it. Remaining calm is essential as well. I've seen too many people just rage and panic when they're near dead and they just mash hoping something happens. This is when most people would forget proper openings in enemy comboes or anything like that. I've even done it once or twice but it takes a really close game to get me to do that. I won't lie, I have caught myself just trying to whip a 720C out of nowhere cause I was about to lose. Same goes for barrier bursts; you can't just do them randomly and hope for the best, you have to wait for the perfect time during an enemy's combo to burst and retaliate effective or else you just waste it.

Everytime I play, I play to grow. It's not about winning or losing, but how I better myself. I love a good challenge and I love playing people better than myself.

I agree with this so hard. When I go to tournaments, I don't necessarily care about winning, I care about finding the best players there so I can improve my match-up knowledge and hopefully get the local community more hype for BB. Despite only getting into fighters with BB's release I know that my understanding of all fighting games has improved dramatically, and I've made a lot of great friends in the process.

If you have the desire to improve yourself, then putting in your best effort and staying focused makes everything fall into place.

I think a good fighter mentality is aggressive by nature. The willingness to go balls out and kick some ass stands as intimidating. i've always thrown people off by just jumping in someone's face with Tager and just bashing on them instead of back dashing and turtling like I see many Tagers do. To me, I see Tager as a big ass tank and should just run in and beat the crap out of some stupid Nu or Noel who think its an easy win. Its a high risk game, but the rewards are all the sweeter for it.

I like this man. He plays like me. Except I know what backdashing and blocking can do. But a healthy RTSD is very very good for Tager. Especially if it catches people off guard.

The hardest lesson I've been learning lately: Don't play on auto-pilot!!

That's what you get for playing me. I'm helping you out bro.

Remaining calm is essential as well. I've seen too many people just rage and panic when they're near dead and they just mash hoping something happens. This is when most people would forget proper openings in enemy comboes or anything like that. I've even done it once or twice but it takes a really close game to get me to do that. I won't lie, I have caught myself just trying to whip a 720C out of nowhere cause I was about to lose. Same goes for barrier bursts; you can't just do them randomly and hope for the best, you have to wait for the perfect time during an enemy's combo to burst and retaliate effective or else you just waste it.

at that point i MTW RC, almost assured win.

Hi, I've been playing BB for a while and I'm on a crazy losing streak.. I'm trying to react/think while doing my combos but I just end up auto-piloting (probably sticking to 1 or 2 combos) where I should be switching combos as I'm doing them (is it possible?). Whenever I actually try, I end up being 1 sec late, fail doing the combo or half the time I get overexcited and screw up the combo either way...Can anyone help me on how to improve this?

keep playing and practice, turn on counter hit if you need to hit confirm. keep in mind online has input lag so it may not come out when you want it to.

Step 1 - Check to see if you are playing online

Step 2 - If you are playing online, disregard any match results you have had since you started playing online

Step 3 - Cry because you don't have an arcade in your state.

Step 4 - Play Melty Blood

Step 5 - ????

Step 6 - PROFIT!

Combos, punishes, and setups to certain situations should be auto-pilot. It allows you to focus on the things that really matter in the match. Ask yourself where you affix your gaze during a match. Is it on your own character? If so, then you're doing it wrong. What you should be doing is looking at the space between you and your opponent. Once you are aware of this distance, then you will know what options are available to you and your opponent. If you know what options are available, then you can narrow down what your opponent will do and counter by anticipation rather than reaction.