Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TaoFTW

NorCal INSTALL! GGAC, MBAA & T6 Ranbat [Season 6: 6/5/2010]

Posted Image

Live Stream (OFFLINE)
http://www.livestream.com/norcalinstall

Season Results

Cross-Post: Honnou's Bi-weekly Sessions

GGAC singles WILL start at 2pm.
Hosted by: Tenkai, Dakanya and KatanaDash

GGAC 2v2 teams WILL to start at 8pm.
Hosted by: Tenkai, Dakanya and KatanaDash

MBAA singles tentative to start at 2pm.
Hosted by: Tsubasa

MBAA 2v2 teams tentative to start at 5pm.
Hosted by: Tsubasa

Tekken 6 singles tentative to start at 2pm.
Hosted by: Qwerty (AKA Quash)

Side Tournaments are encouraged.
Hosted by: WHOEVER FOR WHENEVER

BBCS has their own tournament venue at SVGL,
but will join this venue in due time.

SPECIAL NOTE: Do your personal hygiene before coming! Stop smelling like a hobo and bring some deodorant!

The Venue:
Devry University
6600 Dumbarton Cr.
Fremont, CA

Ranbat Setup:

Posted Image

Parking Setup:
I have been informed that the parking officers do NOT issue citations on weekends. This means you are allowed to park outside the visitor parking lot.

New Addition to the Venue
We are adding Tekken 6 to the venue. We have extra setups and room for extra hype. If you beg to differ, then too bad. :kitty:

New Rules

Because the Event list for this ranbat is so long, the number casuals setups will be very limited! Don't expect to play random games, that are non-event related untill after finals for the 2v2s have started!

Proposed Schedule: DeVry University in Fremont! Saturday May 1st!

Starting at 2pm! if you will be late call ahead! I am gonna have to be a dick about this! BE READY TO CALL IF YOU ARE LATE, IF YOU SHOW UP LATE, AND HAVEN'T CALLED, there is a good chance you won't be able to enter! If you need number to call I can give you mine... PM me!

Wave one:
Streaming: Select Matches from the Singles, MMs etc!
2 setups: GGAC 1v1 up to finals, or semi-finals depending on time
2 setups: MBAA 1v1 up to finals, or semi-finals depending on time
2 setups: T6 1v1 up to finals, or semi-finals depending on time

Wave two: hopefully this starts by 4 or 5 pm!
Streaming: finals for singles tournies!
2 setups: 2v2 GGAC
2 setups: 2v2 MBAA?
2 setups: T6 2v2? Casuals? Depends on demand

Wave 3: 7 or 8pm.
Stream:finals for 2v2s
Remaining setups for casuals!

Do we have 6 confirmed setups in addition to the streaming setup?

PS: The many casual setups at the last ran-bat are probably the reason we didn't have time for a 2v2.... So keep that in mind if you want to whine about the number of casual setups going down!

About Registration:
You will be asked to pay for the tournament, you'll be playing in, before participating. You may be asking why I'm doing this and this is my answer, 'Organization.' If there's one mistake I learnt from the tournaments I've hosted n' attended - and read about - then it's lack of organization. I will be giving the money, and the registered names, to those who will be hosting the tournament. Rest assured, I will take that fight money and rain it on you while saying, "HEY! THIS ISN'T A SCAM!"

Remember, upon entering the venue, I implore you to practice common sense! Don't be a douchebag, don't be a litter freak, vandalize property, steal equipment, and anything else that can constitute gambling. I don't have the patience to deal with that crap and neither should you. So let's have a nice clean fight. >:3

About Refreshments:
Refreshments will be provided as a compliment to the venue fee. The owner of Lab 17 is going out of his way to give us some snacks. Thank you!

Huge props to the following people:
- TaoFTW
- OrionxElite
- Ginseng
Thank you for bringing refreshments. If you wish to join the cast of extraordinary gentlemen, or ladies, then bring something for us to munch on.

- And a special thanks to everyone who brought SETUPS. This ranbat wouldn't work without you.

Confirmed Setups:
Update on equipment:

- TVs: 1
- CRTs: 1
o People who confirmed to bring TVs/CRTs:

- Tsubasa, YAT

- PS2: 0 GGAC Setup(s), 2 MBAA Setup(s)
o People who confirmed to bring GGAC/MBAA setups:

- GGAC: Aurora Borealis, OrionxElite, Qwerty, Meowmix, Gamma, Magz(?), Honnou
- MBAA: Tsubasa, YAT

- Surge Protectors/Extension Cords: 0
- Chairs: LOTS
- BYOC

Tournament Entry: $5 Singles, $6 Doubles

According to PhaethonH,

Prize structure:
* Pot split: 70/20/10
* Ranking points: 4/2/1/i

Tournament format:
* Double-elimination
* Bracket-seeding based on ranking points
* 2 of 3 games for match point
* [Winners cannot change characters, but losers can alternate.]
* Finals either 3/5 or 2/3 depending on time

Tournament format, Doubles (2v2):
* Entry fee $6 per team ($3 per person), pot split 99/1
* Teams of two, formed randomly (no picking)
* Double-elimination
* Tournament-wide character-lock (choose one, stick to it)
* Game point is Waseda format: A vs A, B vs B, A vs B for tiebreaker (no individual gets a "second chance"; can be discussed in this thread)
* Grand Finals game point either 2/3 or 1/1 depending on time.
* Grand Finals, losses do not reset

Side Tournament Entry: $1 - $3
Here's my rules on running, official, side tournaments:
1) Setups being used, for the main events, must be finished prior to any side tourneys. The only exception is if there are unused stations being used for Jojo's bizarre adventure or any other otaku fantasy (several people comes to mind >:3).
2) You must have a minimum of 5 people entering the tournament; winner takes all.

Casual Stations:
Here's the rules on running casual setups:
1) Setups being used, for the main events, must be finished prior to casuals. End of story.
2) If the tournaments are done, then you can grind those casuals till the chicken crows in the morning.

No Venue Fee:

No venue fee means you are responsible to CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF, NOT COME IN SMELLING LIKE A HOBO, OR NOT DO YOUR MORNING HYGENE! We are not your moms!

Notice to Those Who Arrive On-Time:
If you're bringing a setup, then please try to show up, at least, 30 minutes prior the tournament time. Once you register, look for the person who is hosting the tournament. When they've, successfully, figured out the brackets, then the tournament will start.

Notice to Those Who Arrive Late:
We are going to be a stickler about starting on time. We're going to be hosting two GGAC tourneys and MBAA on the same day; this excludes the side tournaments that are, likely, going to happen. I do not want to stay till midnight trying to finish up a double elimination bracket. Humans get hungry and have sadlifes. I understand that people stay up till 4am watching loli animu, or whatnot, but find the balls to contact me if you're running late. I found it, rather, ridiculous that volunteers - from the community - busted their asses off to get the, free, venue prepped up on time...

...only to discover that people showed up 3 hours late.

From now on, we will have monthly gathering EVERY first Saturday of the month. Since our first Revival session was a success, the next one will be a full on ranbat. *WORD OF CAUTION* TaoFTW will not be hosting this next tournament. Hence, I will empower you people, from the community, to create brackets, seeding, and organization. When that happens, I'll empower you guys with bigger venues and host tournaments. Right on?

If you need carpooling, then be sure to post, and PM, your appointed drivers. Drivers are listed in Chapter 5

Last Minute Updates:
Alright guys. With the ranbat hype just a few days away, here's some final pointers from TaoFTW and Ginseng:

- We're expecting 40 people, total, from the MBAA/GGAC community. I want someone to squeeze in an extra TV, plus laptops, for casual setups. If you have the power to bring any extra equipment, then I empower you to bring them! Post them here, on dustloop/meltybread, and I'll make room for them. Even if we don't use the TVs/PS2s, I would rather have a surplus of one - or two - TVs + ps2s just in case an accident happens.

- Lots of people, with limited setups, means longer waiting time than usual. Bring a DS, PSP, and play shaq fu.

- Do your personal hygiene before coming! I know this is self-explanatory, but nobody likes to take a wiff of heavy HOBO MAN JUICE! *glances over at sprt juice*

- Last, but not least, have fun! This ranbat is, ultimately, about building new social networks within a competitive stronghold. I know half of the community, but have - yet - to hear from the rest of you flunkies. I have high expectations from you guys and you should expect the same from I.

Remember, I'm always open for constructive criticism.

Chapter 1: The Beginning

One day, while waltzing into NCR, I turned my head to see a scruffy hair'd man with jeans sagging down to the floor - rolling his eyes left and right - playing Blazblue. My jaw dropped as my eyes bulged out of it's sockets,

"What?! I never knew Nor Cal Regionals had a BB casual session. What did you do?" I screamed in disbelief.

"I saw a TV open and used it to hook up my XBOX for Blazblue." Responded the scruffy hair'd man.

Somehow, someway, we managed to draw a crowd bigger than the t6 crew while mashing away in our casual session. Ginseng played too :3. Needless to say, I had a dream.

"I have a dream that one day [nor cal] will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: 'We hold these [animu games] to be self-evident: that [Arcsys has created better games than Capcom].

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of [nor cal] the sons of former [blazbluers] and the sons of former [street Fighters] will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood."

Chapter 2: The Quest for :3

I have a favor to ask you SJSU and De Anza folk. In an effort to re-ignite the fire in nor cal's GG, BB, and MB scene, I'm trying to secure a venue to hold MONTHLY sessions. Yes, you heard me - monthly - gatherings. This would include:

- Casual Sessions

- Ranbats

- Future Nor Cal Major including: BBCS, GGAC, MBAA

I'm tired of seeing every single venue ax these games out of every major. Therefore, I figured it's high-time we start up something of our own caliber. Wherefore,

"Hold your ground, hold your ground! Sons of [Nor Cal], of [sadlife], my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you 'stand, Men of the [Nor Cal]!'"

If you want to revive nor cal, then I ask for you to scrounge for a venue. I do not have the necessary assets to rent hotel space, but I'm looking! If all else fails, then we will use SJSU bowling alley as our last resort.

But take heart! The battle has, yet, to be won!

Chapter 3: What's a Good Venue?

Would DeVry University in Fremont, be to your liking? I know someone who holds tourneys and stuff at the school on weekends and you could use a couple of classrooms, or you could use the multi-purpose room in the dorms, we just got a new wide-panel TV which is super-special awsum for GG and BB if you have component/HDMI cables.

Like I said, in response Arv's earlier post, you're more than welcome to use the venue as a catalyst - and extension - for the BB/GG/MB community. The keyword here is, 'empowerment.' If you can do it, then - by all means - take initiative and open up a venue for us. There are a few, personal, pre-requisites to opening up venues:

1) Plethora amount of space for numerous setups.

2) Ample chairs.

3) Internet Connection is - highly - preferable (live stream).

4) Convenient - free - parking.

5) Close to loliJohn approved eateries (you have to assume that some people carpool'd, took a bus, or walked to the venue).

6) Exclusive for gatherings only (no deafening rap music like in the SJSU bowling alley).

7) Ability to be open during summer vacation.

8) BBCS*

9) If possible, then no venue fee.

Also, HD TVs tend to carry conversion lag. Please test them to see, whether or not, they're usable.

* = Preferably close to a BBCS cab. If not, then that's okay. The whole point in setting up this venue is to pave the way for future ASW console port games.

Chapter 4: The Quest For Venues

Here's the following finds:

Corporate Venues:

- [finput][/finput]

College Campuses:

- Devry University Multi-Purpose Room (Fremont)

Store Venues:

- MGL (Milpitas Golfland)

Houses/Apt:

Fred's house (Sunnyvale)

- No more than 8 people.

Aginor's home (Sunnyvale)

- Invitation only, but can host up to 20 people comfortably.

Wolf Pup TK's home (Sunnyvale)

- Can only host up to 5 people.

loliJiang (Mt. View)

- No more than 8 people.

Ginseng's home (Milpitas)

- Invitation only, but can host up to 20 people comfortably.

Qwerty's house (Mt. View)

- Up to 10 people + Sean (20 minutes, of walking distance, from Caltrain Station)

Abstract (Redwood City)

- Going back to Indiana, but will be around for the summer.

Rod (Daly City)

- As many people possible.

Offices:

Derrick's Office (Redwood City)

- Whenever he feels like it.

Ehuangsan's Office (Mt. View)

- Weekends only.

Currently looking at:

- SJSU campus

- Hotels

- San Mateo Arcade

Chapter 5: Driving is Imminent

Nor Cal Drivers:

- Spirit Juice (if he still cares about Nor Cal...)

- PhaethonH (Sunnyvale)

- Wolf Pup TK (Sunnyvale)

- Sarsapari (Mt. View)

- Ginseng BBCS Only (Mt. View)

- Derek BBCS Only (Sunnyvale)

- Jared BBCS Only (San Mateo)

- ixRenegade BBCS Only (San Jose)

- KatanaDash (Santa Clara)

- Magz (San Jose)

- Kijiyama GGAC Only (San Jose)

- Buzzsaw (San Jose)

- Tsubasa (San Jose)

- Shining Aquas (?)

- TaoFTW (Cupertino)

- Bucklemyshoe (209 only)

- JacerX (Modesto)

- NEW!Newtypeseed [sRK] (Manteca/Ripon/Stockton)

Nor Cal People Who Need Carpools:

- Rod (Daly City)

- Tenkai (Daly City)

- Qwerty (Mt. View)

- Dakanya (Palo Alto)

- Arvoyea (Sacramento)

I've been meaning to try to start one of these clubs but I'd need help from other SJSU students. The club process isn't hard I believe since I know somebody who started a shoe head club. If anybody is a SJSU student and interested, let me know since I'm going to be at SJSU for at least another 2 years. We need to find a minimum of 8 students and 1 advisor (Faculty or Staff).

crossposted from Riotblade@meltybread

Feel free to add my house for mini-gatherings (limit 5 ppl, not including myself). I can also be a driver for myself plus 1 person, assuming I can actually make the event. I know it's not much, but I figured I'd at least offer.

Beautiful. Something NorCal needs. Please add me for some who needs a carpool.

I suppose you can list me as a driver. I'm in SJ. I can manage anything MBAA. I have experience making brackets & running tourneys in general. I used to run a lot of the MBAC tourneys we had here in Norcal. Also, just remembered there was an option for SJSU as a venue: the communal rooms in the student dorms (otherwise known as "Campus Village"). We use these occasionally for general sessioning & they are probably spacious enough for the amount of people we have. The problem is that we would need to book a room in advance to make sure that we have it. Usually we just get into Campus Village and hope for the best. I might be able to find someone who currently lives in Campus Village to book a room, but I'm not sure yet. It's worth considering though, IMO.

My recommendation:

Even if we decide not to use the Campus Village, book the room one month in advance. It's better to have a venue available than no venue.

If you are asked for the usage purpose, then write this, "Nor Cal Animu Fighting Game club exists to raise awareness that there is more to life than textbooks, isolation, and boredom; therefore, in an effort to build - and establish - the community, we encourage students to take part in a revolution for constructive high-level tournament gameplay."

I'll edit it as the year goes by, but that's the vision I have for Nor Cal. The Animu Club only serves as a catalyst for marketing strats. :3

Edit: Since you've expressed a - great - interest in the MBAA setup, I exhort you to take charge and host it. I will only learn from the best people running gigs.

A few things: 1: That whole entire first post is cheesy as balls and riddled with stupidity. 2: BB sucks, but Tsubaki's ok. 3: Play more GG, faggots. Good info despite these points. I'll try to get out and play more with you guys if I can. Crazy fucking schedule. Doesn't help that I hardly know any of you and my hands busted.

A few things:

1: That whole entire first post is cheesy as balls and riddled with stupidity.

2: BB sucks, but Tsubaki's ok.

3: Play more GG, faggots.

Good info despite these points. I'll try to get out and play more with you guys if I can. Crazy fucking schedule. Doesn't help that I hardly know any of you and my hands busted.

:kitty: Play Tao and you'll be transformed into a furry. :kitty:

Goooo May 8D <3333 Revive that NorCal GG Hype!

Thanks Sano! <333 You need to come up here too and play some GG with us. :3

Taokaka's a cool character, but I hate how she combos. Just doesn't feel like it should. That's actually my complaint with most of BB, it feels like it's HNK or MB or some bullshit.

I might hit SVGL today. Maybe. My hand is being a massive piece of shit (I might need hand surgery) so it's up in the air atm. If anyone can drive that's near me, hit me up.

edit: DEADLY

Edit2: I forgot to mention I've a good deal of experience running tourneys. I used to work at C3 and helped run our monthly gigs for about a year. If you guys need help, I'm so there.

Alright guys, here's the two venues you can choose from: - Derrick's office - Fred's house Both places have internet and chairs; I want to hear your input. >:C Edit: We will go to Derrick's office. :kitty: Fred's house will be used as backup.

Confirmed Setups:

- TVs: 1

- PS2: 0

- Surge Outlets: 1

- Chairs: 6

BYOC

You heard him guys, bring your own computers.