koogy

GG:AC Official Tier List Thread

People are getting more un-manly. That's why mixup-based chars win a lot these days.

The Bang in me cries.

sims couldn't do a real combo to save his life

(not that he has to, lol)

Lawl. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Tier lists are worthless without matchup charts.

Especially since there's no real statistical rhyme and reason to how tier lists are made. To me, it seems to follow that point totals derived from matchups could be put on a bell curve, and then standard deviations make the tiers (As in C tier is the mean, and a full standard deviation up or down constitutes a new tier) but that's not how it's done, so meh. Drawing conclusions from a list of that sort is, as it stands, intellectual masturbation.

you're right but like uh you know we don't have a matchup chart that isn't four years old so...

Right, that's a good approach. We don't have real data, so let's make some up.

That's easy to fix. Put 2 players in a room for 10 matches, record the results. Make sure to get about 3 different players for each character each time, and preferably all know what they're doing. Then round up the averages, try to get some feedback from the players as well, and you get numbers. Repeat with every character until we grow old.

End result: Wow, it's fucking stupid.

:vbang:

Seriously though, what do you call "real" data in a case like this, and does Japan have it?

that is real data, and iirc that's how they made the #r matchup chart. but i'm sure it's cheaper for them to ask the opinions of a couple of players then publish a tier list and it probably sells the same amount of magazines. produces a lot more talk around it too

like, what was i suppose to say about the #r matchup chart if the three top players of my character couldn't even demonstrate it?

But people wont know whether or not it is socially acceptable to complain about their matchup when they lose without some sort of up-to-date list to calm their nerve!

But people wont know whether or not it is socially acceptable to complain about their matchup when they lose without some sort of up-to-date list to calm their nerve!

I never win against Slayer, therefore AN vs SL is 10-0 in Slayer's favor. RESULTS! :yaaay:

(Seriously though, I'd probably label that one a 6-4 or 6.5-3.5 in Slayer's favor)

All I'm saying is that I've never heard any GOOD player complain about balance in this game. Bad players, however, complain about it all the time.

I (with the help of Arcadia) brought the thread back. People are gonna talk about GG for at least a week or so. GDLK.

All I'm saying is that I've never heard any GOOD player complain about balance in this game. Bad players, however, complain about it all the time.

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the relative difference in tiers. The tier list below the current doesn't use as strong a scaling as the new one, which uses ABCD. In most tier lists I see, D is pretty damn bad and if you want to be competitive, you avoid them. This could just be how arcadia ranks it but I figured I would ask anyway.

Doesn't the in depth review below give at least important match-ups or is it much too old to be of too much use, being it was last edited in 2008?

I'm still surprised Baiken isn't B tier. She certainly feels better than C

Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the relative difference in tiers. The tier list below the current doesn't use as strong a scaling as the new one, which uses ABCD. In most tier lists I see, D is pretty damn bad and if you want to be competitive, you avoid them. This could just be how arcadia ranks it but I figured I would ask anyway.

Doesn't the in depth review below give at least important match-ups or is it much too old to be of too much use, being it was last edited in 2008?

Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get a matchup bracket that's actually good?

D tier for GGAC is still tourney viable. I've seen Johnny and Bridget players beast competitions.

I guess that even though the tier list changed, it's not that drastic of a change. Everyone can still beat everyone. The difference between the tiers here is probably quite small.

From my understanding AC tiers only really matter at some of the highest level of play where the subtle differences in characters makes all the differences. We're talking the people that are reacting with 0 frame attacks.

From my understanding AC tiers only really matter at some of the highest level of play where the subtle differences in characters makes all the differences. We're talking the people that are reacting with 0 frame attacks.

Basically, gdlk play. Which doesn't happen too often, since even the best japanese players make mistakes.

Basically, gdlk play. Which doesn't happen too often, since even the best japanese players make mistakes.

HERESY! Japanese don't make mistakes, they are the GODS OF GAMING!

He's right. The Japanese are absolutely perfect. All jap matches I've seen all end in time overs with no damage taken by either side.