koogy

GG:AC Official Tier List Thread

'good enough' isn't A-tier material

please refer to my chart a few pages back

any ggac matchup chart is out of date

it's too close to make an accurate chart

Except we have a good idea of the match ups. Not to the nearest decimal, but the more knowledgeable players can tell you your good, bad, and ugly match-ups.

Except we have a good idea of the match ups. Not to the nearest decimal, but the more knowledgeable players can tell you your good, bad, and ugly match-ups.

And nearly all of them disagree with each other. Which ones do we listen to?

A more important question is, why does it matter if we have a matchup chart? That data doesn't matter to good players (who don't care how bad a match is, they're gonna try to win it), and bad players only use it as an excuse as to why they lost.

Bias, every matchup chart people make is bias to make it look like they work harder than everyone else.

But in GG everyone works hard...no exceptions. Also counter picks dont work in GG which makes things like match-up charts even more ridiculous.

yeah, most people know their "really good" mtachups and their "really bad" matchups, but I doubt most people can remember 23 matchups immediately, so most people just learn the essential former matchups, and their funny matchups.

Strange idea, but I think you can pretty much make your own matchup chart.

1. Start the game up.

2. Go to training.

3. Put both sides on CPU - Max difficulty and take off life-gain.

4. Spam select after each loss for about 10 losses.

5. Repeat for each matchup.

6. ???

7. Profit!

Of course, this depends a lot on the skill level of the computer: fyi, Pot is a frickin' beast.

Of course, this depends a lot on the skill level of the computer: fyi, Pot is a frickin' beast.

so is Ky, Sol, OS is good is some areas (air throws alot) but Pot is the best.... and AI Eddie, Baiken, and Testament suffer from brain damage.

And nearly all of them disagree with each other. Which ones do we listen to?

There are good people who believe that Axl has a bad time against Order sol, Slayer has an easy time against Potemkin, and etc?

There are good people who believe that Axl has a bad time against Order sol, Slayer has an easy time against Potemkin, and etc?

Because clearly, every matchup in GGAC is as cut and dry as the ones you listed. By all means, let us make our "Nothing but obviously bad matchups" matchup chart.

Is it possible to make a matchup chart based on how defensive or offensive you should be playing? For a scrub like me, that would help a lot more than "good matchup/bad matchup", especially since each matchup plays differently.

i've always considered the Axl matchup to be closer to even than any Axl will tell you. and i know that MacArthur Blunts considers slayer vs pot to be even.

bad examples.

Epic: that's what matchup threads are sort of good for. but they still can't tell you how to get comfortable with a matchup. gotta play to understand your bad matchups, or just simply switch between a defensive mindset and an offensive one.

Alright: that makes sense, though I usually equate a good matchup as an autopilot matchup (which doesn't exist).

This thread is funny.

But really, someone explain to me how Venom and Zappa are C tier.

i thought japan considers Zappa w/ dog to be one of the strongest characters, but I guess they figure naked/sword/ghosts way him down? I would disagree but meh

shrug

No idea about Venom though.. I only ever played Marlin's and I play Axl so I'd be biased.

Most I could come up with is he doesn't have many common high reward options?

Edited by bbq sauce

This thread is funny.

But really, someone explain to me how Venom and Zappa are C tier.

Also curious. . . .:I:

I think that's right.

For Zappa, outside of Raoh and rather specific summon setups, he does absolute jack for damage. He's even worse than Ky in that regard. It's also difficult to get people into those setups that let Zappa do lots of damage. If a person decides to simply control space and lock Zappa down rather than attack him directly, it becomes really difficult for Zappa to start anything. But Americans like to attack recklessly...and end up getting killed and thinking that Zappa is better than he really is.

Both are also terrible at defense and breaking out of pressure, but at least Zappa has some options that cause it to be rather risky to attack him at times. Venom just sits there and eats a bucket of fail until he lucks out or dies. So despite all of Venom's wonderful offense, once he gets pressured, his chances of collapsing and losing the round become rather frighteningly high.

i thought japan considers Zappa w/ dog to be one of the strongest characters, but I guess they figure naked/sword/ghosts way him down? I would disagree but meh

Sword is just as good, if not better, than the dog. The damage potential for the sword goes through the roof as long as you can JI and have 50% tension, which shouldn't be a problem for you if you play Zappa.

Ghosts don't do damage, and are bad in some matchups, but vs characters that struggle vs zoners they can troll pretty hard.

It just kind of blows my mind that a character with as many overwhelming strengths as Zappa can be so slept on. Then again, they did also consider Millia to be C tier for awhile, so lol.

Both are also terrible at defense and breaking out of pressure, but at least Zappa has some options that cause it to be rather risky to attack him at times. Venom just sits there and eats a bucket of fail until he lucks out or dies. So despite all of Venom's wonderful offense, once he gets pressured, his chances of collapsing and losing the round become rather frighteningly high.

We're talking about a character with full screen whiff punishing and some of the best AA's in the game. Getting in on Venom is no small task for most characters.

Edited by qwerty

In case any of you were wondering, this appears to me to be closer to a general consensus between Japanese players. Taken from the wiki.

"キャラランクまでまとめるのは不可能です。

各板のランクスレで延々言い合って決まらないのを見れば分かると思います。"

It's impossible to rank the characters in GGAC.

It just gets endlessly debated between the Japanese players.

IMO, there is way too much depth to the game and it is too balanced as a result to get any meaningful list.