Sign in to follow this  
TGS

General Millia Q&A Thread (Ask away!)

It depends on how the opponent reacts infact after Bad Moon FRC sticking a jK out will do good as well. A note on 2D roll H disc. At further ranges the opponent can jump from most meaties so use 5K to stuff that or to get them blocking at least.

2K(otg) -> 236D is great in the corner, most cases the 236D protects you from any mischief they would be doing off the tech (still, watch your lifebar).

Dash 2K(otg) -> 236H/D at midscreen is fine, but not as solid as it is in the corner.

In terms of protecting you, sure - 236D is a better option than anything else, but OTG 2K-236H/D allows for a free forward tech -> airdash away to escape.

Which is exactly why it is terrible to use in the corner, where a meaty mixup is almost always guaranteed to begin with - giving the enemy a chance to escape just to add a few frames (if any) to your setup is not at all worth it. The risk/reward at midscreen, where mixups are far from meaty, is much better, though it's still not all that great.

Poke? I've been playing with MI since X, but I don't understand how 6HS would be used as a poke. I've always used 6HS as an ender after the pin (XX, #R, /, AC). Nothing more; nothing less. Blitz: Who can forget your amazing #R guide on gamefaqs? Are you planning on doing something similar for AC?

are you kidding? I'm using the same exact formula for how the guide is constructed, though this time I'm breaking down move analysis a bit differently. on 6H: can be used as a frame trap after 236236S at certain distances, as well as situationally whenever you have the max range and the opponent is in sufficient guard stun. just as well, on block you could even 236S -> FRC, dash in for something, and on hit you can just roll and then 236D, etc. I also like this setup, for some reason: low AD K-P-K, land, 5P(fuzzy guard)-6H -> 236S -> FRC, etc. If they 6H gets them, you get to dash forward after the FRC into 236H, 214P -> FRC, j.K at midscreen. If not, just continue pressure or do mixup or bait something. teyah: that setup isn't something the opponent always wants to tech. You could airthrow them for the win after you 2K-5K otg'd them at low enough life, and they'll think twice before doing so again. It's not something which is obviously escapable because the window for them to tech is so small, and if they guessed wrong they lose life and end up back in your corner oki anyway. Heck, if you option select your airthrow attempt, you still have a viable oki setup you can salvage if they choose not to tech (2K-5K -> JC airthrow option select (P), falling S (dp safe if done tight enough, but you can still note the difference and switch between low air FD into land throw, and just doing a DP safe falling move or even baiting with airdash back into H pin or something of the like)). on the other hand, doing it at midscreen does not allow you the option of airthrowing them (and even if you did, you have no way to create OKI from it), so it's WORSE at midscreen.

Well yeah, at low life many unfavourable risk/reward setups become more appealing. The window to tech is small but anyone who knows to drum their fingers will tech it with relative ease. If you do OTG into jump, you pretty much throw away any chance of solid oki right there. j.6PH, j.S OS airthrow will result in a horribly non-meaty j.S if they don't tech; if they do tech you get (at best) a 55 dmg airthrow into suboptimal pressure. Turning a potentially round-ending scenario of corner kd into something like... this.. is just wasteful unless they're near death and you've got them read like a book.

You are thinking too linearly about it. If they are doing this on auto-pilot, they get air-thrown. And you still have solid setups (at least in the corner) after a low altitude air-throw, so the trade off isn't as severe as you are making it out to be. You also dismiss my setup as "horribly non-meaty". Thanks teyah. 2K-5K lets you JC into this, which does give you enough time to make it DP safe (which means they aren't jumping out). And, if you are otg'ing them, you were probably in a hurry, and didn't have a "round ending" scenario availalabe in the first place. In any case, most air-throw setups are weaker in AC because of the throw breaks, so I wouldn't OTG them at mid-screen OR in the corner anymore. At mid-screen, it's especially useless when you should be focusing on getting them to the corner, not playing roulette. If you need correct spacing, FD stop into disc if you have to.

You also dismiss my setup as "horribly non-meaty". Thanks teyah. 2K-5K lets you JC into this, which does give you enough time to make it DP safe (which means they aren't jumping out).

I said it was horribly non-meaty because well... it is. It seems like you're greatly overestimating the downed time on OTG hits. You can test this out yourself if you like, or just watch this video clip (recorded using first frame CPU teching, with an early j.6PH, j.S as possible). This shows many ways out, including a non-reversal Slash VV CHing the j.S, which means there is an 8+ frame gap here at the least.

As a side note, if you look at the connected airthrow here, note how quickly Sol gets up shortly after Millia lands - this certainly isn't enough time to dash -> Disc. And since you end up just outside of the corner, all Discs can just be backdashed here as well, leaving this as a very suboptimal setup.

And, if you are otg'ing them, you were probably in a hurry, and didn't have a "round ending" scenario availalabe in the first place.

If you're in the corner and rushed for time (which itself isn't too common since you usually push the enemy to the corner via combos), any successful mixup leads to a knockdown and gives you your potentially round ending scenario. If you arrived from a combo, then you're already in the scenario.

In any case, most air-throw setups are weaker in AC because of the throw breaks, so I wouldn't OTG them at mid-screen OR in the corner anymore. At mid-screen, it's especially useless when you should be focusing on getting them to the corner, not playing roulette. If you need correct spacing, FD stop into disc if you have to.

I wouldn't OTG at midscreen either, except for situations where you don't have time to set up a Disc, and even then only once every few rounds or so to see if the enemy is caught off guard and fails the tech. You risk giving up far less here than you do in the corner by going for the OTG. In the corner I would never OTG (outside of OTG kills), because you always have better options there.

Um, this may sound dumb, but when you guys practice what do you practice? I feel like I'm not maximizing my practice time at all. I currently mess with throw combos 2h tk s pin combos. everything else I practice in matches.

practice setups INTO combos INTO setups INTO combos INTO death. Mix and match! =D Don't forget to practice burst/DAA baiting for said combos/setups! (There is more to it, but the general idea is that you practice whatever is possible to practice without a second person).

Could you elaborate on said burst/daa setups please? The only burst bait I have at the moment is throw, running (f)s, roll in anticipation of a burst

Generally there are certain times someone will attempt to Burst/DAA you that are easy to figure out (off the top of my head I'll list some): -Off throw after 5s/5k followup or whatever you're using to launch. -Corner disc/SG pressure (this is a prime reason I support SG moreso than disc off corner knockdown unless it's FB disc because if they catch you with a DAA/Burst, chances are your SG will only be around it's 2nd-3rd rotation. If you directioned it properly, it should cover you and allow you a slight break). -Corner ATG's/Blocked disc pressure (these are very prime for DAA's) -Pin ATG tactics (I've seen so many Bursts once that pin connects because they know what's coming). The general rule of thumb though is that most will try to save their Burst until they absolutely need it. Just always try to stay aware of your opponent's Burst status so you can predict when it will happen. Obviously if you're winning a match, they'll probably wait until near the end as a last ditch effort. DAA's usually come out when your oppenent is close to a corner. Obviously DAA's are less frequent bc of the tension usage (and even moreso now with useful FBs it would seem).

Could you elaborate on said burst/daa setups please? The only burst bait I have at the moment is throw, running (f)s, roll in anticipation of a burst

there are a few places where people will knee jerk burst, and all your really have to do is be aware of those places and be prepared to airthrow/jump block -> combo (like directly after your S© connects is one such place, after they get hit with standing dust, after 2H, in reaction to you setting a disc after the combo is over, in reaction to hair car, in reaction to slash disc, etc).

You can also use burst dodging/burst safe resets in places where people commonly burst. I don't have any I'd be willing to share, as I really don't know the validity of the stuff I'm currently using (they seem to work, but I haven't sat down and thoroughly tested them for kinks or gaps).

Generally, people will DAA things that make you commit tension/pin (so they can gain tension parity), so the burst dodging/burst safe resets also apply to this (in some situations, 236D is a great way to bait and punish burst/DAA attempts).

So I'm considering having Millia as an alt. My question is: Is this a good idea? :kitty: I kid. More to the point is anyone thinking of doing a video tutorial similiar to that awesome Order-Sol series?

So I'm considering having Millia as an alt. My question is:

Is this a good idea? :kitty:

I kid. More to the point is anyone thinking of doing a video tutorial similiar to that awesome Order-Sol series?

If you like doing at least three or four of the following:

1) Doing combos that net you at most only about 25% damage off of random hits.

2) Dying in one combo.

3) Rushing down knowing that you can die in one combo.

4) Eating random CH's that don't make sense (i.e. May j.H), and dying in one combo.

5) Dying trying to get in.

6) Memorizing too many combos.

7) Dying in one combo.

8) Fucking up oki shit and dying in one combo.

9) Being predictable and dying in one combo.

Then Millia is right for you. :keke:

As for a video tutorial, I would make one, but I'm too lazy. Just watch vids and wait for blitz's guide or whatever (if he ever finishes it)...

That list is so on point, but so saddening at the same time.:vbang:

Speaking of vids, what's new in terms of Millia players?

Apparently Koichi already qualified for SBO using Millia. His team of himself, random May player who's name escapes me at the moment, and Nemo (TE) apparently beat out Nakamura's team (Nakamura, FAB, OsakaB) for one of their area qualifying spots. :arg: Hopefully Nakamura's team qualifies elsewhere...

Other than that tidbit, there hasn't been any new vids lately from the usual suspects (i.e. kaqn, Nakamura, Woshige), though the recent vids in the Video Posting thread shows a new Millia who goes by the name of PHK and uses the HS yellow color beasting on people...

If you like doing at least three or four of the following:

1) Doing combos that net you at most only about 25% damage off of random hits.

2) Dying in one combo.

3) Rushing down knowing that you can die in one combo.

4) Eating random CH's that don't make sense (i.e. May j.H), and dying in one combo.

5) Dying trying to get in.

6) Memorizing too many combos.

7) Dying in one combo.

8) Fucking up oki shit and dying in one combo.

9) Being predictable and dying in one combo.

Then Millia is right for you. :keke:

As for a video tutorial, I would make one, but I'm too lazy. Just watch vids and wait for blitz's guide or whatever (if he ever finishes it)...

And yet, despite all this, she's still ranked A tier, eh? :yaaay:

Or has that changed?

I've been away from the forums for a bit.

And yet, despite all this, she's still ranked A tier, eh? :yaaay:

Or has that changed?

I've been away from the forums for a bit.

She's ranked High B or Lower A tier. And rightfully so because Millia at her maximum potential is scary shit. Note the keyword is maximum potential, which is something only a select few Millia players have reached. Anything below that (i.e. beginner to above average), be prepared to lose a lot...

Koichi played a bit with her in Slash (and he was awesome of course). I still think he should stay with I-No because that's who got him "famous", but I suppose he wants to take Millia for another test run. Can't say I blame him though; she's alot more fun now compared to Slash.

Hi, I need some help dealing with Baiken's Ouren (HS) Guard Cancel. I can punish the other Guard Cancels by blocking them but Ouren seems to always get Baiken safely out of corner disc okizeme.

Hi, I need some help dealing with Baiken's Ouren (HS) Guard Cancel. I can punish the other Guard Cancels by blocking them but Ouren seems to always get Baiken safely out of corner disc okizeme.

If you're using FB disc against her on wakeup, it's harder to do because the FB disc will hit first. Baiken takes enough damage that building guard bar against her on wakeup isn't really necessary (or recommended, due to GC's). Your best bet is to be using HS Disc FRC or vanilla HS Disc okizeme. That way, YOUR attack connects before the disc does, so you get much safer and easier ways to bait her shit. Let's break it down move by move.

TK Bad Moon - On block against most characters, you can't continue pressure off of this move normally. If Baiken does Ouren to avoid this move, it's no big deal really. Ouren can't hit TK Bad Moon, so you're not down any points and you're faster than her, so her position isn't terrible for you.

2S, 2K, close S, 6P, j.K after FRC'd 214P - If she blocks this move and does Ouren, you can let the move recover and run after her and punish her in recovery for around 200 damage and a corner knockdown (Combo I used: far S, 2H, j.K->j.D, ADC j.K->j.D, ADC j.D or j.H xx 214S, 6H).

If you weren't expecting her to do Ouren, you can still react to it and do 214P in retaliation. The hitbox on 214P extends almost instantly, and happens to have a maximum range of around where Ouren will end up landing.

You can option select this followup by buffering 236P out of any grounded attack you do, because if she does Ouren your inputs will be crossed up and get you an instant 214P going the other way, which she'll land on. Otherwise, since Millia has no 236P move, you'll be able to react and block any other counter she does, or perform another mixup if you have her scared. EDIT: This is extremely inconsistent and impractical. You're better off using the energy you're expending on OSing by try to react to the counter instead.

If you can't do EITHER of these, you get a 50/50 after you see it come out. She's down so many frames after it's whiffed that a running option-selected forward throw is pretty much guaranteed. Option select with 6P+H, which will get you either a clean CH launch, catch her jumping or backdashing, or you'll throw her.

I know this is jumbled, but just post back up if you've got any questions. It sounds to me like you know when this move is coming but can't do anything about it. If that's the case, you shouldn't have much trouble implementing the high damage launch punishers when you guess correctly. If Millia didn't have ways to punish Ouren, this matchup would be MUCH harder.

Good luck!

EDIT: Many of these punishments have to be done at different timings depending on when the Baiken in question executes Ouren. Punishing it is hard, but there are ways to do it consistently.

Sign in to follow this