Sign in to follow this  
TGS

General Millia Q&A Thread (Ask away!)

Hi guys, I am new to the GG scene(but not fighting games). Millia is my fave character, and I understand she is quite difficult to learn. I watch alot of the japanese tourney vids and vids posted here, but I have difficulty grasping a few things::8/: When I hit a pin and air dash in with j.K, what is the gattling to KD? and Can I get a launcher off something like pin->AD->j.K, j.S, S, 2H? I also have difficulty locking down my opponent. I play against a decent Sol and good Anji. If I get DP'd out of a jump in or auto-blocked when I try and do a disc mix up after KD, how do I effectivley maintain pressure against these things? Currently I 214K, into throw alot on most characters, I can get the dash in S, 2H, j.K, j.D, ADC j.D or j.H, but after that my second AD move misses almost every time (on anji and sol especially), what can I do to remedy this? Should I be canceling the next air dash as fast as possible, or do i wait and delay it a bit for certain prorations? I watch the vids and see jap players consistantly hitting 8+ hit combos on Anji's after a throw, can't tell what they do different though. Lastly what is her best generic corner combo, lets say I get a mix up and FRC 214P, what is the best generic (or at least close to universal on most characters) combo? thanks so much for any help! -MJY

I have a quick question. What are the exact settings that one is supposed to use in training? I'd really like to see if I have my game configured properly. A big question of mine is: Do you guys set enemy guard to "limited"? I have always set it up that way. I was wondering whether or not there were legit combo instances that don't show up with the game set my way.

When I hit a pin and air dash in with j.K, what is the gattling to KD? and Can I get a launcher off something like pin->AD->j.K, j.S, S, 2H?

Knockdown:

When you hit with pin you should do j.S > IAD j.K, j.S > land > c.S, 5H, 2D

Your launcher is right but remember that your first AD is not j.K, it's j.S. Sometimes the launch doesn't work depending on how far you end up being from the opponent and some character hitboxes.

I also have difficulty locking down my opponent. I play against a decent Sol and good Anji. If I get DP'd out of a jump in or auto-blocked when I try and do a disc mix up after KD, how do I effectivley maintain pressure against these things?

You can try baiting them into doing DPs and auto guarding. As for H disc mixups you could try using haircar frc into j.k for DPs, idk about Anji though. I never have any trouble dealing with him. There are also options that will work if you get a knockdown in the corner ending with j.D and set a H disc fast enough to do an IAD mixup (there are a ton of options/variations). With that setup I don't have to worry about DPs and wakeup supers. If you're really afraid you could always just go with Secret Garden setups, they're pretty much 100% safe.

Edit: You can also do set a H Disc after Pin > Land > 6HS to go into a mixup that forces them to block on wakeup. Only way they can get out of it is by DP or wakeup super, sometimes they still get hit by it.

I don't understand how you can get DP'd out of jump ins. Maybe you're too high in the air when you throw the pin and then attempt your IAD and they've recovered from the blockstun? If you really wanna be safe I guess you could try hair pin > FD > IAD into mixup pressure. Seems silly but w/e.

combo woes

You might as well check the combo thread. It's much better than me trying to explain it because there are a ton of variations that work on different parts of the screen. Character weight/hitbox/pin, all play a role in what combos can be done.

Training settings

What? If you're just trying to find out if a combo actually works correctly just set the Recovery to Forward or Backward. At least that's what I got from your post.

What? If you're just trying to find out if a combo actually works correctly just set the Recovery to Forward or Backward. At least that's what I got from your post.

Well, what I meant was - does or does not the "Limited" Guard setting cause recovery whenever it is possible, and, further, does it prevent some things that should combo in-game, from comboing in practice mode?

Many thanks.

Limited guard will not guard the first sequence of attacks, but will block any attacks that should not normally combo. Example: you do 2K, 2H; 2K hits, 2H is guarded. In constrast, First guard will guard the first sequence of attacks, but will stop guarding if there is a significant gap in between hits. Example: you do j.S, ADC j.S; first j.S is blocked, the following ADC j.S hits. Didn't test if these exact examples work with these results, but that's the general idea anyway. Recovery is totally unrelated to the Guard setting, and can be set to either FW, BK, or NT in the Training menu.

Limited guard will not guard the first sequence of attacks, but will block any attacks that should not normally combo.

Example: you do 2K, 2H; 2K hits, 2H is guarded.

In constrast, First guard will guard the first sequence of attacks, but will stop guarding if there is a significant gap in between hits.

Example: you do j.S, ADC j.S; first j.S is blocked, the following ADC j.S hits.

Didn't test if these exact examples work with these results, but that's the general idea anyway. Recovery is totally unrelated to the Guard setting, and can be set to either FW, BK, or NT in the Training menu.

Yeah - that's what I thought.

Thanks for the confirmation, Teyah.

Both limited guard and recovery play into combo confirmation.

it's just a matter of how easy is it to end the combo with. As you know, air combos varies slightly or totally from character to character. Some characters maybe it's easier to end with jH than jD and vice versa. That's the only difference. Try different combinations...

lol me? I was just trying all the characters and their basic combos to see how they played like. I remember especially about Millia becuase her combos were really different from other characters...

Question: in alot of woshige vids im seeing finish a combo with adc jH 214S 6H instead of the regular adc jD 214S 6H why? style, easier? damage seems to be the same

If the enemy is too low or has a strange hitbox, j.D might whiff on them at the end.

If the enemy is too high but has a nice hitbox that allows for it, j.D may be techable on hit but j.H xx S Pin will not be.

Also, j.H xx S Pin, land 6H xx H Disc allows you a more meaty disc and leaves you at the perfect range to not get thrown out of your 6K or 2K/2S, while also allowing you to pick up your Pin immediately. Not much of a downside to this, if you're close enough to pull it off.

It's a character-specific thing, that j.H vs. j.D. And the 6H -> 236H works great for ADC mixup (follow with jump in/iad in S -> ADC mixup, or jump back into 236K -> FRC, ADC mixup).

It depends on what you mean by "learn" combo-wise, your in for a ride because she has a lot of character/weight specific combos and they all vaey slightly but make all the difference in wether you get a knockdown or not. General gameplay wise, I don't think she's that hard to learn myself, it's just that you have to work a lot harder then you would with other characters ans your execution should he at least decent if you want to go anywhere with her. She is a blast to play and you feel like a pimp when you spaz out with her.I'm really tired, so I'm sure I just said a bunch of nothing, but there you go.:psyduck: Just play her, you like Ryoko, so I think you'll like her lol.

I wouldn't recommend picking up Millia in AC unless you have a lot (and I do mean, a lot) of time to dedicate to learning her nuances. Your execution must also be well above average to make full use of her mixup tools, and you need to have a good sense of positioning and timing so your pressure actually flows together.

If you've got all of this or are willing to develop these skills, I say go for it.

ugh i really really really really fucking hate character specific shit alot

so that doesnt sound very good

:(

Use Potemkin then. :psyduck:

It's not so much that I'm dismissing the work you put into working her nuances, but I don't think highly of myself to learn character specific combos and what not. I like to play a little bit of everything, and if I were to really sit down and play Millia it's more or less a given that 'everything' would need to be put aside. I mean there's just this absurd lingering for me to play her though, she looks like she's so much more fun then anyone else in the cast (AC really put me off for alot of characters ;p). Sorry, I'll think of what you said Teyah. I imagine there's no stages between just started playing with Millia (beginner) and 'decent'. It's either you're not playing her, or you're damn good with her. :S

I wouldn't recommend picking up Millia in AC unless you have a lot (and I do mean, a lot) of time to dedicate to learning her nuances. Your execution must also be well above average to make full use of her mixup tools, and you need to have a good sense of positioning and timing so your pressure actually flows together.

If you've got all of this or are willing to develop these skills, I say go for it.

Why am I playing this character again? :gonk: lol

Even though I know I'm garbage with this character, she's still fun to play. And I prefer playing her over Ky. As a matter of fact... I can hardly even play Ky anymore ever since I've been playing Millia over and over again.

learning her character specifics can be a pain, but it's not so bad. Sometimes I'll just go into training mode and pick the dummy on random. Usually it'll be a character I don't play against a lot, or a character that I know I need work on combo-ing.

All in all, yeah I'm really enjoying Millia at the moment.

aite theres this one millia technique that i never got to learn.. im wondering if any of u guys are able to do it too.. its when you do a very short run and immediately stop to do a hs disc. basically millia barely moves forward but still able to stop on a dime and drop a disc.

its done here in these videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiK3t2Yae20& at 1:51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gs4MQd6OnQ at 1:47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKXrPB2UV3g at 0:36... the run wasn't as short as the 1st and 2nd vid.. but millia was still able to stop immediately while throwing a disc

as u guys can see its a really useful technique to learn but very rarely done. but i dunno.. when i try to do it.. the momentum from the run carries me too far and i end up dropping a disc too close to the opponent.

Sign in to follow this