Sign in to follow this  
TGS

General Millia Q&A Thread (Ask away!)

Just mess with her at first, get a general feel for her and how she plays (I know this is the token response, but it's pretty necessary for Millia). Once you get comfortable with her, start working on your ground pressure srtings and capatalizing/setting discs/mixups off of knockdowns. After you get a little bit of a rush down going, work on throw combos and air combos next. After that, work on frc shenanigans. This thread has a lot of good info for all of said situations and the first page is great for standard combos (they aren't as scary as they look). Also know that's it's always sad times whenever you get hit.:vbang:

I like how you told me to work on her ground game first before going to combos / air combos. That speaks volumes, seriously, I appreciate it (I was expecting a list of combos to practice and what not). Thanks, I'll check out those standard combos and keep you updated. :3

The last thing you'll probably work on is your spacing/approach (at least that's what I'm doing now). I'm trying to keep myself from playing like an idiot because I'm so aggressive. I've sort of slowed down a bit. I tried it in the last session I had with my friends and caught almost every burst attempt they made (there's more too, but yeah...). I also don't get hit by random shit anymore, but I'm not used to waiting for a good opportunity to get in. I usually rush. It's going to take some getting used to it, but overall I think it'll make me a better player. >_>

I'm trying to do my first air combo, and I'm already having trouble. Here it is: Throw, r.5S-2H, jf.D || ADC, j.K-D | ADC | falling j.D. (It's the first combo in the combo thread.) The problem is I often can't connect the j.D that comes after the j.K, and when I actually manage to do that, after the second ADC, I don't have enough time to pull off a third j.D before landing on the ground. I try to push the buttons as fast as I can (looking at the combo, it says that there's very little delay between the moves), but to no avail. Any tips? Looking at the above posts, I see that I skipped the ground game part and tried immediately towards air combos. Being a Guilty Gear noob still, could someone give me really specific things on what to practice on the ground? I know I could look through the thread for stuff, but you know how long it is... I've had this game for almost two months, and I still suck this much. Need to practice more. Doesn't help that when I played my friends all I really needed to do was spam Lust Shaker and even a blatantly obvious 6H, which they complain has insane range. But then they're even more nooby than me, even if one of them had the game a while back (he had X2 for a while). What's the drawbacks of using Lust Shaker, because I rarely see it used in higher competition videos.

Try jumping straight up for the j.D. For her ground game, basically just learn her pokes and their uses, then incorporate tem into your rush/zoning game. For instance, 2d is a pretty good range sweep, use it at maxrange. j.D is a good air attack because it has a lot of range. 6p is good because it is a good anit-air attack that has a little invincibility on her upper half. 2h is a good attack to use if you can sense an airdash coming. I use Lust Shaker from time to time. It does decent chip damage, creates space, can be linked into emerald rain, and can be used to stall doing a roll or iron saviour after an attack. For example, I sometimes do a blockstring into standing H, lust shaker, then roll / iron saviour/ set a disc, more rush etc. When doing this, you should be performing it so that the lust shaker barely comes out (like you should only see one strike going upward if you cancel into roll or iron saviour). If you decide to use it to create space, you shouldn't want to press anymore than the default qcb+s. This will give you enough space to do a s disc/fb disc. I hope I explained that well.:psyduck:

For the aircombo try to practice it on Millia herself, who IMO are among the easiest to aircombo and still knockdown. Also, looking at the notation that looks like a corner throw combo, so throw such that you end up facing the corner. If you're still having trouble there may be some delays that aren't noted, like perhaps delaying between the first jump and the j.D. Additionally, since you're new remember that you are cancelling the hit and not the recovery; thought to mention, since my friend had this obstacle initially when trying out her aircombos.

On most characters when i do this combo in the corner i usuky jump back for the first jD than just when the oppeenet is below millia weight (in the air ofcourse) i do the AD than i do a little pause and than jK jD with a light slight pause between the K and the D than again waiting for the oppenet to drop a bit more and again AD a little pause and than jD on some chars i jump and delay the first jD (like Testa) and for some chars i jump straight up for the first jD (aba for example) and some well i prefer doing other combos but its kinda hard to explain in a forum posts cause ppl usuly got diffrent timing on thier delays but i hope this somehow helps

Thanks for the help. I'll keep all these tips in mind next time I play. So even for a simple combo like this there are these character-specific nuances? How many combos do you guys usually have for each character that you may face? Also, how long did you guys play with Millia before you played decently? I'm not really deterred by her learning curve (which is supposedly high), but living in southern California it'd be nice to get good enough to compete as quick as I can (especially if I end up going out of state for college in September.)

There are generic combos that work on a chunk of the cast, see the 1st post. it took me like a month to get decent with her, but it's kind of an ever evolving thing, so you know. With practice, you'll become able to "eyeball" what combos you need to do/ what attack you need to do to keep your combo going. Just don't give it up because winning with Millia is sooooo rewarding.

Dunno if I'm doing it right but apparently it seems lustshaker itself can be used as some sort of knockdown. Just keep mashing on it after an ADC and they cant tech due to a very low height they fall from. Just don't FB longinus as youll knock them back up where they can tech.

I finally got down the full combo on three characters, Potemkin, Testament, and ABA (the heavy characters, I think). Even then, I have to quickly air dash after the 2nd j.D and do the 3rd one so the beat doesn't go black. That seems to be one of my problems, inputting the 2nd air dash command fast enough. With the other characters, it seems the j.K launches the character up too high for me to connect the 2nd j.D. I don't really know when to delay. When I do try to delay, it's too much, and the opponent's already on the ground. Jumping straight up for the 1st j.D never works for me, because after I do it, I can't air dash in and attack quick enough because the 1st j.D already knocks them across the screen (provided they don't tech out, in which my combo's dead anyway). Still, I'm relatively satisfied with my progress.

I've seen in some match videos Millia using a 2d sweep then immediately following up with the Emerald Rain Overdrive, hitting the opponent with 2 or 3 discs before the opponent hits the ground. I've tried it myself, but every time Emerald Rain comes out pretty late. Is this just a matter of really strict and tight timing, or is there some little trick involved, like a S disc FRC (which was discussed at great length 15-20 pages ago in this thread but which I don't seem to really understand yet)?

Lies. 2D -> Emerald Rain only works if you are close enough, and if the opponent's hitbox/weight is favourable. Still, at the range you normally do 2D at it is probably impractical to hitconfirm it from a sole 2D so that ER hits in time, which is why you won't see it used much by the better Millias out there.

Pfft. Maybe I did lie cuz I don't use it much.:psyduck: How practical is comboing into 2d and using the s disc frc to go into juggle into aircombo, because I love doing it on the non heavy characters.

Yup Teyah is correct. ER off of 2d is usually only best saved when you've learned the hitboxes and the required spacing of it to connect. But yes, alot of the more experienced Millia's will rarely if ever use that type of offense. These days it's smarter to simply follow a 2d(assuming it connects of course) with SG or FB disc....something that generally leaves you some oki options and that is a guarantee for mix up options. ER is best used on say, a standard ATG string ending in 5hs. In general, it's always been versatile, just not so much with 2d since you're not always guaranteed the correct space needed and/or the character hitbox.

Sign in to follow this