Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moroha

A.B.A ACCENT CORE Matchups Thread!

So now that AC is here and the ABA forums are looking pretty dead, I figured now was a good time to compile the Match Up info that's been posted in the Slash ABA matchup thread into one clump and work from there. I'm just going to write brief notes about what I've seen has changed, add and pick apart what you will.

A.B.A. vs..

Anji: 6.0

"If I had to play Anji in tourney, I'd switch to Eddie without thinking about it... A.B.A will just die so fast.. But maybe that's just my A.B.A.." -Marn

Apparently Anji's Birthday Cake (Air Orb move) doesn't knockdown anymore, which is very good news for us. Strings that end in Ons are still bad news for us. Since Anji's knockdownability (??) degraded, this matchup got better for us by far. Check out what Klaige has to say on Anji's changes. - http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=158422#post158422.

Baiken: 4.0

"Baiken is actually pretty easy because ABA can jump cancel all sorts of shit to bait counters, and you can always use 623h in the middle of strings if you suspect a counter. Just don't spam reccas against Baiken and you should do OK, and remember how easy it is to throw baiken and how much damage and meter aba gains from this." - Poon

I only played one Baiken in my area in AC, and we split, but goddamn, was that fight stupid. As Poon suggests, use smart Danzais in strings to try and catch her riding dirty. RC the Danzai if you don't. Jump Cancel like a fiend.

Chipp: 5.5

"Chipp - He's too fast for her normal mode, you'd prolly have to waste a pack to go into Moroha mode to try to match his speed, and even then, he'll probably spam 2D til he dies =(!" - Marn

I don't know if this matchup changed at all on the Chipp end, but FB Danzai has to count for something against Chipp, j.HS notwithstanding.

Dizzy: 5.5

"Thing is, Dizzy can't really do much against A.B.A's frame traps" - Furix

Dizzy has not changed much, outside of her new crossup air move, the homing bubble, and the fish staying on the field regardless if she gets hit or not. That last one is a big pain in the ass. But regardless, much like Venom, Johnny, and some other members of the cast, she doesn't have any defensive options ala SRK once you get the ABA train going. The problem is actually getting there. Getting the pack to Moroha is tough, and can definitely end up with a Dizzy knockdown and you having to deal with some stupid projectile shenanigans high/low/throw guessing game. Not fun.. until it's your turn. :)

Eddie: 4.0

"Eddie is hard because he can start his lockdown at the very beginning of a fight and keep you from changing modes. That's scary." - Poon

Yeah. But, to be fair, if ABA's got 25% tension, she can at worst take a wakeup unblockable's damage but avoid the knockdown. Reversal FB Danzai in Moroha mode will also catch the unprepared Eddie for 40% (lol), and Reversal FB Slide in normal mode just negates it entirely. FB Danzai is lols in this matchup.

Holy Order Sol: 6.0

"HOS is a pretty sucky character overall, so A.B.A doesn't have a hard time stomping him either." - Furix

I don't fight any Hos, so any insight into how his buffs / her buffs change this matchup would be good.

Ky: 6.0

"The main problem with ky is that he can IK ABA very easily because Ky has not trouble landing 3 quick shitty knockdowns that do 16 damage each but then you change modes and he gets an IK. Ky can do risky shit to force this or he can just play normally and that is what makes this fight dangerous. Any time you are down to 1/3 meter Ky can start playing risky because any hit means a win, so you seriously have to be careful as hell." -Poon

Still the case as far as I know, but his damage really got toned down. He can still do Stun Dipper RC shenanigans, do tick throw or crossup setups, etc.

Potemkin: 4.0

"I believe Potemkin is a potential bad matchup for ABA. Tons of knockdown methods with Potemkin (Potbuster, Heat Extend, Hammerfall, Slide Head, even his normal throw is a knockdown now), and his 6P is rather good in stopping ABA aerial assault. ABA will also have a hard time getting in if Potemkin plays keepaway with 5HS and far S. Not to mention Potemkin can absorb the damage ABA throws at him pretty well." - axel

As far as I know, ABA gets to RTSD and abuse far slash as best she can. Once Potemkin gets going though, he's a freight train. Try not to leave holes in your strings, and when there are holes, plan for a backdash -> potential Buster. If you had trouble reacting to slide head in Slash, fucking react to it now or lose. You can make ONE MISTAKE against Potemkin, and find yourself in deep shit.

Robo Ky: 6.0

Robo-Ky's ground game is not as successful against ABA as it is against other characters. Be wary of his charge move that nets him meter and knocks you down. I THINK you might be able to punish his ground eye laser move with f.S, confirm/deny? His 5P gives him mad frame advantage. His dust is also really fast - faster than Ky's. Also, his SRK can only give him a knockdown on CH.

Slayer: 5.5

"Between 2D, HS, 6HS, f.S, the Orbs and Danzai, ABA's got enough ways of covering the ground well against Slayer's shenanigans. It might be a good matchup for her, or at least an even one." - Me

I think still she's got tools to deal with Slayer, but he's absolutely got stuff to fuck her up too. I actually don't like using f.S too much in this matchup, it gets Dandy Stepped and BunkerT. HS is fantastic. I think the big equalizer in this matchup is Danzai, honestly. It trumps pretty much everything he's got, -=including=- FB Bunker AND (YES!) BBU. Regardless, SOMEONE'S going to get messed up in SL vs AB.

Testament: 4.5

"Testament is trouble because.." - Poon

Because he makes it hard to get into Moroha, makes it hard for you to get to him, and if by some miracle you finally do, can Warrant or Fwd EXE to get out AND knock you down. I know I have a hell of a time against Jamie Saphri's Testament. The last thing you want to happen is get caught by ANY Testament knockdown, because that leaves you with at most two knockdowns to go and a batshit insane wakeup game to deal with.

Venom: 5.0 - Even

"Yes because of ABA's huge range. Venom needs time to set up his traps and pressures. ABA can knock him out of hit. Plus she has good pressure to keep him on lockdown so he can't do anything. Venom has little to no "get off me" moves. Of course he has good pressure too which could screw you over should he get you in the corner. But you have better ways to get out of them then he does." - Zoogstin

If Venom knocks down ABA and starts his pressure game, you're going to have to deal with it - unless you've got an FB Danzai or Slide in the bank. Use at your own discretion, obviously. However, if you catch him, WHEN you catch him - he has to deal with your game. HE can't sit on the chance of him doing an FB Danzai that YOU have to plan around, so make the most of it.

Zappa: 6.0

"Dog: Nothing to say bout this, just try to play safe

Ghost: For normal if he wants to play turtle with his ghosts, try to steal a moment and use a bloodpack to change ASAP, it will be easier in Moroha.If he spams ghost from air far away, keep away from the ghosts and 2S or air HS him when hes recovering, it should net a CH and then you can punish him appropiately

Sword: For normal, use the 236+P dash to go under his sword dash. In moroha, your Danzai will rape his sword for free, dare him to use the sword dash and make him eat a CH Danzai to a juggle, will cause major pain to him

Raou: Eh only thing i can say is in normal your 236+P will go under his Last Edgy, but its just too risky. In moroha try to turtle a bit and hunt for openings to land your combo, but try not to die doing so." - kiske

Don't know how this matchup changed.. or what this matchup is actually like in the first place for ABA. When I played Wondertonic's Zappa, I waited for him to lose some ghosts when he had them, tried to poke away the dog, and tried to stutterstep to get in when he had the sword + danzai. (Zappa does have a 2 hit move with the sword > Regular Danzai). Oh, and don't get hit by Raoh.

Others:

I-No: 6.0

Uh, didn't sound like anybody here expressed enjoyment in playing this one.

Axl: 4.0

Axl is unsurprisingly a pain in the ass to fight. His counter knocks you down - and that's assuming you get in close enough for him to use it. Also watch out for the unblockable. Take your time, choose your advances wisely, and for the love of god, don't dash jump j.HS at him - you WILL get countered.

Johnny: 5.5

I fight this one a lot, since I play GG with 4r5. Johnny might have a little more range on the whole, but ABA can certainly poke with him. If ABA gets hit, it's not necessarily OSHIT for her. If Johnny gets hit, that's a different story. Johnny can crank up the guard gauge until he gets poor. ABA doesn't need money to crank up a guard gauge, it just happens. Johnny has a small hop, ABA can dashes across the screen at Johnny as if he had a PS Tripple. (AND her shoelaces are untied :x). Johnny has an interesting air game, since you don't really want to 6P him and eat an Ensenga or Divine Blade. Too bad ABA's Danzai doesn't give a shit. Therefore, ABA > Johnny as far as I'm concerned. And don't be afraid to use 6P, it goes through that TK Ensegna jazz.

Bridget: 5.5

Like Testament, only you don't see as many of them played. Another character you have to catch. I don't know this matchup.

Faust: 4.0

Watch out for that horizontal scalpel strike that crosses the screen when you're changing modes, it's bad news. From my experience, it seemed to sometimes be tougher jumping in on Faust than on other characters (not even taking whatever items he's got out there into consideration). Don't really know what else to say about this fight. Other than mini Potemkin is an asshole.

Jam: 5.5

??? Shed some light on this one.

May: 6.0

Whenever I connect with a Danzai on PsiPhi's and Tritone's Mays, I can expect some form of expletive or unkind remark. That being said, while May has gotten buffs, her game hasn't changed too much from what I've seen. If you see her start her dust animation, don't guess, don't even jump away, just danzai it. Either you'll danzai her low dust, or you'll danzai her overhead. You win! Watch out for the command throw, it hurts. Don't ever forget to FD charge Dolphins in the air. And catch her sneaking in her low slide attack, I think you can punish it with a 6H -> Combo. If not, just 2K -> combo works too.

Millia: 5.5

A mix between Chipp's and Jam's comments, I suppose. ;p

Sol: 5.5

FB DANZAI

(15 Favorable Matches, 6 Bad Matches, 1 Even Match according to http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/34745/1172460815/)

Bit off: In my eyes, HOS is now a viable and completely new character because of a working level-system, increased range on some attacks and the godly Fafnir, I've yet to meet a good ABA either so can't contribute much to this thread although I'm interested in learning ABA ;) HOS's basic attack system is to lock the enemy down with safe attacks, if ABA is too overly offensive (which she has to be I guess) she'll get punished by his semicounter 5S. Since what I've seen from ABA her attacks isn't that fast and safe, you could get that alot.. I spose he's trouble for pretty much anyone these days, 'cept Eddie then. Gah.

While I can't think of what his 5S is or does (No HOS near us), I can tell you the ABAs attacks ARE mad fast and are more than safe. When she's on offense, she has solid traps, and has a variety of ways to keep the pressure legitimately via RCs/FRCs (2HS/Rekkas). HOS' new FB is definitely threatening, it's mad fast. What does the 5S do? :?:

It's just a long range poke that has kinda decent priority I guess. ABA can destroy HOS at poking, however he is a good character now so he won't be easy to bowl over. One thing to add with Potemkin, it is just one gigantic counter match. It feels like everything ABA has Pot can counter and vice versa. It feels like a bigger mindgame match than any other character I've dealt with so far.

Hammerfall vs. the Danzais

Danzai > Pot Buster

Backdash > Predictable. (5S, maybe?)

Judge Gauntlet > Carelessness

And both have answers for the other's air game.. but if either lands an air hit, it's bad news. Of course, the difference maker is the 3 knockdowns, which Potemkin doesn't have too much trouble getting after a slip up.

http://jbbs.livedoor.jp/bbs/read.cgi/game/34745/1172460815/

AB vs. Potemkin = 4.0 in Japan's ratings. :(

For that matter, I went back and added the correct points for ABA's matchups in the first post, ranked 4.0 for the worst, 5.0 for even, and 6.0 for the best matchup according to that list for easy reference.

While I can't think of what his 5S is or does (No HOS near us), I can tell you the ABAs attacks ARE mad fast and are more than safe. When she's on offense, she has solid traps, and has a variety of ways to keep the pressure legitimately via RCs/FRCs (2HS/Rekkas). HOS' new FB is definitely threatening, it's mad fast.

What does the 5S do? :?:

Mm, watched a few ABA movies. She sure has an amazing damage output when she's fed her key, to balance the doubleedge mode I spose. Really fast and deadly. I'll have to play her a bit and learn

HOS's 5S© has great priority and is almost a counterattack, his best attack imo. Also 5S(f) has the greatest range of his normals.

Yeah, people seemed to like it from what I read just skimming the HoSol threads. I'll have to test some time tonight and see how it does vs ABA's crazy 5s. ABA has some of the sickest damage in the game, and she gets it off almost ANY hit. If you get hit by any ground to ground normal outside of like 2D, you're probably losing 50%ish, maybe more maybe less depending on her tension and your guard gauge. Same can go for like, 6P or CH 2S as anti airs, or j.S / j.H / CH j.H. I'd like to ask you guys what you think of ABA's poorly ranked matchups; Potemkin, Axl, Baiken, Testament, Eddie, and Faust. Baiken, Testsament, and Axl are definitely tough matches that I've had a hell of a time fighting.

ABA vs Pot is rape... at least for me. He can get knockdowns at every turn and only needs you to leave one gap in order to win. Once he gets momentum.... he just tears me apart. Baiken is easy once you learn to bait the counters (at least for me. Maybe I just play against shitty baikens). Haven't really played against many axl players... I hate axl though... so ya. Faust is hard though, 90% of the fight for me seems to be getting on top of him. Jumping in never works for me. After I get on top of him, if I do, it gets easy. ABA has enough frame traps and crazy pressure to rape faust. He really doesn't have alot to get you off of him... but ya... getting to a postion where you can pressure him has proven to be difficult for me. Last but not least there is eddie and testament. all I have to say about them is FUCK EDDIE ANd FUCK TESTAMENT.

I agree. Potemkin is the most difficult match-up I have fought thus far. Much ahrder then testament IMO. Reason being, Testament gets HURT by A.B.A. Potemkin's defense is jsut too damn high. I really have problems getting close, especially from the air. Help?

Air isn't nearly as viable an option as ground. Potemkin's 6P and/or Explodey Fist (Moreso the 6P) will dominate you. On top of that, if he backdashes a j.S or HS, you're probably going to get Bustered, too. On the ground, ABA has a lot more she can do that makes backdashing a risky endeavor for Pot. It's pretty much the same thing for Pot if he takes the the air against ABA, I believe; her 6P will beat a lot of his stuff, and a well timed Danzai pretty much beats anything he's got air-wise. It's probably unwise to go for your unblockable, that gives him inf time to buster you. A successful ABA/Pot fight for the ABA goes something like this; 1. ABA manages to pack / keygrab early. 2. ABA avoids Slide Heads, space her f.S / HS correctly, and begins a pressure string. 3. Pot's guard gauge cranks up, Pot gets lowed/thrown/dusted/outhit. He loses a good chunk of health, and the pressure game resets. Of course, if any of that goes wrong, it either means ABA remains pinned in her normal mode, or ABA's probably in knockdown danger and/or facing Pot oki. This fight's mad tough because Pot can really change the tide of the fight at any given moment.. ABA needs to play all strong rounds. You absolutely must react to slide head, you have to catch the Pot player, and you really have no room to bumble execution or 'chill' (unless your at the opposite side of the screen avoiding slide heads).

Anji: 6.0

"If I had to play Anji in tourney, I'd switch to Eddie without thinking about it... A.B.A will just die so fast.. But maybe that's just my A.B.A.." -Marn

Apparently Anji's Birthday Cake (Air Orb move) doesn't knockdown anymore, which is very good news for us. Strings that end in Ons are still bad news for us. Since Anji's knockdownability (??) degraded, this matchup got better for us by far. Check out what Klaige has to say on Anji's changes. - http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?p=158422#post158422.

air orb move doesn't knock down in air combos (unless the air combo is really low for some reason) but it does still knockdown if used as an overhead.

I don't agree with everything Klaige says in that post personally. It's not true that "Anji requires tension, you MUST have 25% to get any kind of a solid combo into knockdown now" as he says. He can still get about 1/3 life combo or so into On for no tension if he hits a standing move not too far from the wall. The other things is that most of the time he's gonna have 25% meter for combo purposes anyway except right as a round starts of course. His defense isn't as bad as he makes it sound either. His autoguards are still highly useable and his 236H goes through a lot of stuff. And force break butterfly is very good and not easy to escape for many characters if set up well, many have to rely on dead angle or invincible overdrives to escape (not sure what ABA can do here).

it's very true that he'll be getting a lot less knockdowns in AC though, which is good for ABA

And force break butterfly is very good and not easy to escape for many characters if set up well, many have to rely on dead angle or invincible overdrives to escape (not sure what ABA can do here).

EX Slide in Normal, EX Danzai in Moroha. I'm assuming backdashing the butterfly does nothing since the projectile keeps moving back, or at the very least, you've got something to do for backdashers.

The FB Butterfly and Swishyslamthing Anji has both seem pretty good, but less knockdowns make this matchup seem a lot more comfortable in AC, at least for me.

Yeah it really should be easier. According to your matchup thing ABA has advantage now right? that's a huge change personally as far as red butterfly is concerned...I only go for it from strong setups...which generally you can't backdash anyway (my most common setup is against the corner so backdash really doesn't help you there at all). EX slide should escape it (see my question about it below) and EX Danzai would definetnly super armor though his run in stuff (though he could bait it but it's still an option for you). not really matchup related but I recently messed with aba a bit to see her new stuff and couldn't figure out how to hit her out of EX slide, it even seems to be throw invincible. is it just totally invulnerable? what's the swishyslamthing? XD is it that force break from autoguard? last time i played you in that team tournament I got the first round by killing you with it before you beat me down. It costs tension of course but gives a knockdown which is what aba doesn't like. If you have a burst you can try to burst out of it and a lot of times he'll go up the screen anyway and you can punish him as he lands (it happens but not sure how much). On the other hand his other autoguard followup specials...P no longer gives knockdown like in Slash...and the new K one causes a techable wallstick (though he can combo you into KD if he's not too far away).

not really matchup related but I recently messed with aba a bit to see her new stuff and couldn't figure out how to hit her out of EX slide, it even seems to be throw invincible. is it just totally invulnerable?

I haven't been thrown out of it yet so it's throw invuln until someone corrects that, and it goes through everything, supers included. (lol @ Zappa's Raoh)

what's the swishyslamthing? XD is it that force break from autoguard?

I mean the FB from his charging 'stance' which makes it overhead and gives you combos. He like, swings the fans over his head in a twirly motion and has a lot of upper body autoguard.

ah lol I know what you mean now...it's Force Break Rin 236S-D (the D part) you can hit him out of that with low moves if you react fast enough (or guess right). it's overhead and advantage on block. the autoguard on it actually isn't as good as the normal version (which is otherwise worse in every aspect). usually you can hit him out with fast non-low attacks as well but that carries a risk that you won't have to worry about if you just do lows. as another random tidbit aba is one of the 5 characters that anji cannot otg launch with FB Rin after hitting with his low moves on normal hit (good for you)

Is a viable counter to slide head to IB and then IAD over? Or simply IB back dash, etc. I am thinking a IAD hs would catch the recovery, but i'd rather be sure.

I haven't gotten a chance to test alot against potemkin yet, but I'm going to planet zero for the tuesday tourny (all the texans know). So I'm gonna test some stuff out in casual matchs and let you know what I find... But so far form what I can tell, going for the 2x key grab seems to be more important than going for the dmg. I think you need to stay in moroha more thatn anything and you are right about jumping in... never ever works for me. Try baiting them with the 5S... it should work, but ya pot sucks. lol

Also, if Pot ever jumps, try to take advantage of that. Your danzai will beat anything he throws out, your 6P beats anything but the Butt, and standing P clashes with the butt, so just throw out another one after the first. :p Danzais can be a little risky, since if he's low to the ground when you start up the Danzai he can sometimes land and block it in time.

Any of you guys have experience with the Eddie and Testament matchups? It would be good to get some feedback on either.

EDIT: Examples of correct ABA vs. Pot:

Match 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4woh-zmrGMk

Most of Round 1 and Round 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXqwwkDzA0

Examples of INCORRECT ABA vs Pot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E63F8LPeQac

Thanks for the vids. As far as I know, I would think testament a easier matchup then eddie. From certain ranges a moroha 2d can knock him out of web and tree start-up if you catch the animations. He really has nothing once you knock him down to escape your pressure. I Think A.B.A.'s range really saves her in this match as well as her damage. As far as specifics go, what kind of issues are you having?

As far as I know, I would think testament a easier matchup then eddie. From certain ranges a moroha 2d can knock him out of web and tree start-up if you catch the animations. He really has nothing once you knock him down to escape your pressure. I Think A.B.A.'s range really saves her in this match as well as her damage. As far as specifics go, what kind of issues are you having?

Well, the issue would be GETTING that knockdown. You have to be careful when throwing out your pokes because you could eat a Sexy beast, Skull, etc. Testament is a tough fucker to catch, and you always have to be on constant watch for 6K/6H/FwdEXE/Random Badlands at all times, since they all can lead to knockdowns. Getting knocked down as ANY character vs Testament is bad enough, and it's only worse for ABA. And on top of all the trouble it takes getting to him, he has no problem trying to trade Fwd EXE, and he can also reversal Warrant. Regardless of the risk, it IS there as an option.

Well don't forge Testament has to be careful against aba as well, her damage rapes him to hard for him to be reckless. I think A.B.A.'s throw game plays a HUGE part in this match-up. testament will be trying to block your attacks so perfectly because of how badly you can hurt him, that it really opens up the throw game, which because of testys shitty defense kills him anyway lol. I don't know, I've found 2d to be her best poke in this match-up, beating out his far slash occasionally, and destroying 6k. Warrant, well yeah, he does have that too. What a fucker lol. BUT, a whiffed warrant equals destruction. you jsut have to be smart. I try not to approach him from the air to much, but rather use her superior ground range. If your oki is good enough, this match potentially only requires a couple knockdowns and combos to finish it. Hard fight, but easier then eddie.

If you use 2k at any range you will not be knocked down. For whatever reason aba is considered off the ground or immune to the move during the animation for 2k. So if Potemkin is trying to keep you from turning moroho by using slide head do a 2k then use a blood pack. I've never been punished for doing this yet, however this is just match experience. I think each time I use it Pot players just get confused and freeze up for a moment wondering wtf just happened. I'll go into training mode and see if another slide head will beat it out. One more thing about slide head, if you time your blood pack right you will not be knocked down due to invulnerability. It's hard to pull off the few times I've tried in matches but I've gotten it to work.