Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moroha

A.B.A ACCENT CORE Matchups Thread!

Aba vs slayer: Go! I really am having some issues with this match-up, slayer's punishment is just so damn good, not to mention his small mix-ups are perfect for getting knock downs continuously. Help?

The way I see this matchup, since both characters are damage powerhouses and have the best abare in the game, if it's a competent ABA against a competent Slayer, sometimes either side will probably just get it real bad and the other will just jack the round. That being said. The goal is to be in Moroha with three knockdowns at your disposal and in a neutral state. From there, you've got the advantage. You outrange Slayer and can outmaneuver him. You can always jump away and Orbs to create some space, and if Orbs counterhits, turn him into a combo video. Don't recklessly jump IAD in on him, his c.S is the bees knees here. 5S and 5HS are quality pokes to use against him, since they've got great range against him and obviously connecting with either gets the ball rolling. Be wary of Dandy Steps and teleports. Similarly, you can deal with them if he gets predictable. If you see a Dandy Step, you can throw out a 5HS (risky) for a possible counterhit, or just Danzai. Don't let Slayer get a knockdown. Reversal Danzais are an option. Other than that, if you do get knocked down, do your best to block 6K on reaction. Look for a way to get the hell out of there. 2P is also useful here, though I forget if it catches his 6K or not - you might have to 5P that. Also, don't forget to watch Slayer's tension bar. At 25%, you're going to want to use a lot of 2Ds, 2Ks, etc to chop at Slayer's ankles in case he BBU's. Shit hurts. Of course, Danzai (FB AND Normal) takes care of both FB BBU and Bunker, but don't just throw that shit out there casually. On top of that, at 50% tension, assume the Slayer player is frequently buffering in Dead on Time, and think about the risks you'll take.

That's the game plan I usually use lol, atleast I know what i'm trying is correct. I find myself whoring 2d more then anyother poke here. Also, trying to 5hs dandy step on reaction is difficult, but way worth it. Just have to be patient once he does get you knocked down....Thanks moroha.

Just started using a.b.a. so I'd imagine anything i try may be wrong, but i'm still lookin for a little help with these match-ups ky, pot, and eddie the ky player is really just hands down better than me, i don't know if a little advice is enough to turn it around, but i feel like i got a real shot against the eddie player if i can ever get any pressure.

Ky is not a bad matchup for us, but it's still pretty close. Always pay attention to what he's doing - he's got two overheads (Dust and greed saber), but more lows to worry about (2K, 2D, Stun Dipper). He's got a good chunk of options to cross you up / make you guess high / low / throw. By the same token, your offense is scarier - and leads to more rewarding results. Vary your pressure, and don't be afraid to bail on your pressure to just block and see what he does. If Ky whiffs or you Danzai one of his SRKs, he gets obliterated. Abuse f.S, be patient getting inside, etc. Potemkin, don't screw up. If the Pot player is jumping around a lot, Danzai/6P/2S and win. If he isn't, the matchup is harder. Watch for Slide Head or you lose. Watch for 6H and instant block it or you eat slide head and you lose. Also, mostly avoid the air. Stay out of his throw range and work your f.S and HS, don't be afraid to try and throw him sometimes, and pretty much any combo you land is a very easy Keygrab xx OTG Keygrab. If I've got 50% tension to burn, I'll run a pot buster spam check and run up Danzai after a knockdown. Since it's unthrowable, if he tries to reversal buster, he'll get comboed by the Danzai. If not, I just RC the Danzai and mix up. Eddie's got a lot of good anti air options as well as ground options, so it's just a matter of patience, honestly. If you manage to kill off Little Eddie, rush that shit down. If you can get him to start blocking your shit, he doesn't have any reversals to get out, so make it count.

Sorry to come in randomly all of the sudden but I just had to step in Ky completely rapes A.B.A He can outzone her easily and everything he does is knockdown into free IK If ABA is in normal mode just poking into CSE messes her up badly. ABA has to work incrediblely hard to catch up to Ky in this matchup. Its not easy.

That really hasn't been my experience at all, though it definitely used to be. You really have to get a feel for the matchup. I've played Ky's from local scrubby Ky's to Mr. Mamation's / Steve Harrison's. He can absolutely space her out, but we do have the tools to get inside as well as bait and punish him for recklessly throwing out shit. On top of that, he needs to knock you down three times. Smart bar management generally avoids shitty situations. If the Ky player is IKing you, that's a problem with your defense, not the ABA vs Ky matchup. Saying "everything he does is knockdown into free IK" doesn't just apply to Ky in the GG cast. If ABA is in normal mode, you have to dance real well. Landing a 5H, Keygrab, throw, 2H, or Slide into some poke or throw is all possible. If you can get some range, throwing a fireball and packing is also fine.

That really hasn't been my experience at all, though it definitely used to be.

You really have to get a feel for the matchup. I've played Ky's from local scrubby Ky's to Mr. Mamation's / Steve Harrison's. He can absolutely space her out, but we do have the tools to get inside as well as bait and punish him for recklessly throwing out shit. On top of that, he needs to knock you down three times. Smart bar management generally avoids shitty situations. If the Ky player is IKing you, that's a problem with your defense, not the ABA vs Ky matchup. Saying "everything he does is knockdown into free IK" doesn't just apply to Ky in the GG cast.

If ABA is in normal mode, you have to dance real well. Landing a 5H, Keygrab, throw, 2H, or Slide into some poke or throw is all possible. If you can get some range, throwing a fireball and packing is also fine.

1. Recklessly throwing out shit? So if the Ky doesn't screw up you lost right? Your basing your play on hoping the ky player screws up?

2.If the Ky player IK's you there is a problem with your defense? So I guess DIO has a problem with his defense because Buppa has IK him before. Thats rediculous.

3. Yes alot of the cast does have Knockdown moves too but alot of the cast don't have long combos that knockdown and position really well. Ky has all of that. He can deal damage to you, knock you down and position for more mixup that can lead into further time lose and knockdown.

4.ABA in normal mode vs Ky she almost has no chance. He can outpoke her and beat her clean in everything. In coner she almost has no chance. poking into CSE is one of the best things KY has vs her. The ONLY thing you have to watch out for is 25% Forcebreak that lets her slide.

The fact is ABA is locked down and Ky will have the upperhand in almost all aspects

He can outzone her in Moroha mode and outpoke her in normal mode.

I disagree. Ky has the capability to poke with aba in moroha mode. Not completely outzone her. You are vastly underestimating ABA's ability to poke and zone in Moroha. Poke CSE? Are you serious? I guarantee you if anything, A IAD HS woould catch Ky on the recovery and net free key grab if not something else. The Ky's that make the fight easy are the ones who do the very things you are suggesting. And seriously, Ky's mix-up is not very fierce. he gets damage from cranked guardguage thanks to SE FRC now, and his ability to apply constant pressure with meter. Not to mention the fact that Ky's pressure has to be absolutely clean and perfect due to Danzai and other methods of escape that ABA has.

1. Recklessly throwing out shit? So if the Ky doesn't screw up you lost right? Your basing your play on hoping the ky player screws up?

I said ABA has very good tools to deal with Ky when he throws Stun Edges, whiffed pokes, and his pressure which leads to great damage and great pressure. I didn't mention a reliance on capitalizing on the other Ky's mistakes.

2.If the Ky player IK's you there is a problem with your defense? So I guess DIO has a problem with his defense because Buppa has IK him before. Thats rediculous.

You posted this before I had a chance to edit. -Just adding that it's obviously possible for Ky to get the IK. Buppa's IK'ed Dio in recorded tournament play. You play ABA, shit happens. But dry bloodpacking if you're sitting on one knockdown left and a lot of potential life gain, smart combo decisions off of your rekkas/2H/throw/whatever into keygrab or double keygrabs, using your burst at correct times, dead angling, and reversal FBs in both normal and moroha are all precautions you can take to preserve ABA.- You make it sound like he just IKs her all the time, end of story.

3. Yes alot of the cast does have Knockdown moves too but alot of the cast don't have long combos that knockdown and position really well. Ky has all of that. He can deal damage to you, knock you down and position for more mixup that can lead into further time lose and knockdown.

Testament, Baiken, Jam, Potemkin, Slayer, Sol, Millia, Dizzy, I-No, and the mirror all do exactly that. (Chipp/Axl too, y/n?) Ky also has garbage damage compared to the bulk of the cast.

4.ABA in normal mode vs Ky she almost has no chance. He can outpoke her and beat her clean in everything. In coner she almost has no chance. poking into CSE is one of the best things KY has vs her. The ONLY thing you have to watch out for is 25% Forcebreak that lets her slide.

ABA in normal mode vs. anyone, she has little chance - but it's definitely easier for Ky than most to contain normal ABA.

If you're playing against reckless Ky, if you punish properly via your 5S, 2S/6P, IAD S or IAD HS, IBing Greed Saber, and Danzais, you can win. If you're playing against safe Ky, be patient with your entry. He will be using less Stun Edge and careless pokes. Conversely, this means you can get into 5S/5H range easier. If he's sticking to the ground, go ahead and throw out a 2D or even 6H. (6H can also clash with a Ky wakeup SRK if you time it right.) Safe Ky can play keepaway against ABA for awhile. Keep an eye out for his Greed Saber, Stun Dipper as risky options but options that lead to knockdown and are worth looking out for. Both can get him killed.

What Ky players, specifically, are giving you trouble?

heh, i hear he gets a lot of shit on dustloop, but from what i can tell pozerwolf's ky is pretty strong thanks for the advice, i need to work on playing it safer sometimes in moroha mode period

Poke CSE? Are you serious? I guarantee you if anything, A IAD HS woould catch Ky on the recovery and net free key grab if not something else.

Are you serious?

Poke cse vs regular ABA is one of Ky's main stragedy. She can't do ANYTHING about it except Forcebreak slide. You can keep her locked down for a long time. Jack up some guardbar and once she slips Damage :yaaay:

IF she tries to jump you J.K her and keep pressure

If she tries to slide you 2D her and combo

IF she does forcebreak you jump outta the way and try to maintain more pressure.

You seriously haven't seen poke cse in that matchup?

Just look at almost any Ky vs ABA match

Anyone been playing against Baiken at all? Danzai is really great against her, and good jump canceling can nullify one or two of her counters, but I'm still having a bit of trouble with her in general. Anyone have any strategies that have been helping them out?

Are you serious?

Poke cse vs regular ABA is one of Ky's main stragedy. She can't do ANYTHING about it except Forcebreak slide. You can keep her locked down for a long time. Jack up some guardbar and once she slips Damage :yaaay:

IF she tries to jump you J.K her and keep pressure

If she tries to slide you 2D her and combo

IF she does forcebreak you jump outta the way and try to maintain more pressure.

You seriously haven't seen poke cse in that matchup?

Just look at almost any Ky vs ABA match

She can normal slide out of the CSE and if ky does do 2D she can do that little slice kick (41236s)and even FRC the slide for a counter Keygrab.

stagger and do a B&B combo, also when you said jack up her guard meater do did mean with normal hits right? Ky is hard, i have a bit of problems with him but this is what i do =D

as for Baiken im not to shure i dont fight alot of them, A.B.A fireball +FB slide is what i use to get in fast but other then that i cant help much sorry :vbang:

I was fighting, a very competent Potemkin last night. It felt like one of the most frustrating matchups, I've ever played in a game. *I jump at him - I get a 6P in the face. (That eliminates a massive part of her Rushdown game.) *If I'm on the ground - I get Slide Headed (backdash and reversal backdash, were not working.) *His 2D has TOO much range. You can't even attempt to press buttons. (I just stayed in Normal Mode, and did Shoukyaku.) If he was in the corner, and I somehow got a throw. I could do a few things though. 5HS seems to get him occassionally. But 5S was out of the picture. Konzetsu, was quite good to jump in with also. WTF!! Do you have to do!?

Yes this a bad matchup for the simple fact that you have to go to Potemkin. This is not ideal for any character fighting Pot but ABA especiallty has few options for turtling against this guy. This is in addition to Potemkin's many ways of knocking you down. Yes 5H will work. I wouldn't give up on ABA's far slash though. Its faster than 5H and good for frame traps when you manage to get a block string going. As for slide head, you're not timing your backdash right. You're probably doing it too early. As for reversal back dashes, that's questionable as too whether its even worth doing. ABA by no means has an excellent backdash. She has too many vulnerability frames at the end of her backdash for it to be her main tool of escaping okizeme. Other tools you have is normal mode 236K and 236D(this will allow you to get in to throw or keygrab). In Moroha mode you have 41236k although thats not as useful considering the recovery.

*I jump at him - I get a 6P in the face.

(That eliminates a massive part of her Rushdown game.)

Not really. Sides, any character can 6P/AA ABA. Pot players just get it more. But you're right, jumping in when the match is neutral and not for oki is really a big risk for you to take.

*If I'm on the ground - I get Slide Headed

(backdash and reversal backdash, were not working.)

Backdash/Reversal Dash will always work if you time it right. You can also jump, or IAD towards him and punish it. And for some strange reason 2K (???) also works.

Don't give up on 5S. Do it outside of his Pot Buster range, which is a little harder than doing with 5H, but it's still real good. A well timed Orbs and 2H catch a backdashing Pot for big damage.

I can never seem to catch potemkin with 2H during the backdash. Am I supposed to throw it out in the middle of his backdash or is it restricted to just when he's waking up?

Also is 6H any good for catching him on backdash?

6H, probably. I'm pretty sure I've caught it before, but I'll have to test it (as well as the 2H vs Pot backdash specifics). Obviously if it gets jumped you get murdered.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and relatively new to the game. I picked up GGXX (original) this past summer and got AC the week it came out. Favorite character in the original was May, but with AC I've been taking a liking to ABA. I just recently picked her up so my execution is pretty terrible at the moment (I'm also learning to use a stick at the same time :psyduck:) so I don't combo much but its slowly getting there with whatever time I can invest in training mode. Anyway, my main question was how exactly do you approach people with ABA? Try to dash towards them(air or ground)? Wait for them to come and try to combo into keygrab? One of my friends plays Dizzy and will spend most of the match either spamming projectiles or will put up one of those spike balls and release it as he's about to cross over and attack me from both sides then rush away again. Do I just hope I can get enough time to bloodpack and then rush down? Sorry if I asked this stuff in the wrong thread.

just dont use the same pattern everytime. you can start round with keygrab or hs (block or hut? not whiff) keygrab or 236p > s fs 2d keygrab or 2hs sj js jp jc js jp keygrab... tons of ways.

how exactly do you approach people with ABA? Try to dash towards them(air or ground)? Wait for them to come and try to combo into keygrab? One of my friends plays Dizzy and will spend most of the match either spamming projectiles or will put up one of those spike balls and release it as he's about to cross over and attack me from both sides then rush away again. Do I just hope I can get enough time to bloodpack and then rush down?

You approach by forcing them into your f.S / 5HS range, then getting them into your blockstrings. You can IAD S HS, or jump in with HS. Playing defensively (waiting for them to come) or offensively (comboing into keygrab, or w/e) is all up to you and dependant on where you are in the match, obviously. Getting into Moroha vs Dizzy can be tough, especially if she gets a knockdown. If Dizzy is on the opposite side of the screen, you can go for a bloodpack. Otherwise, block, wait for her shit to go away, and either Rekka her for trying to get away with a projectile plant up close or get her in a blockstring xx Pack.