Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moroha

A.B.A ACCENT CORE Matchups Thread!

Hello A.B.A. players, I have written a guide to tackling A.B.A and I would appreciate some of your guys input.

Did I cover what needs to be said?

Does May have any advantages I didn't point out?

What is it that A.B.A player hate MOST about May?

Guide HERE.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3666

Seth- I have used a quote of yours, is that alright?

Thanks Everyone,

Kyle

Blocked 3K at the beginning of a match gives ABA 2H -> Keygrab guaranteed, so it's VERY risky.

Mays need to be careful with their Anti-Airs, j.H has a ton of 'priority'.

"Their game plan

A.BA.'s want to do 2 things when getting in Moroha mode.

1) J.HS

2) 5F.S"

On top of getting you in blockstrings and punishing your whiffs / unsafe moves. ABA's got some of the best punishment in the entire game.

"When in normal mode she will do everything she can to use a blood pack.

throw you, knock you away, (combo into keygrab)etc."

She can FRC Fireball

FB, to be a notation asshole

Her throw range is also good, not amazing. Be careful when jumping her throws, too, since her 5HS has a hitbox that crosses basically vertically above her for about a frame at the end. CH that, and it's your life.

Her tensionless anti-airs are fantastic. Her 6P is about average, but her standing P (read that again, 5P) has frames of upper body invincibility, she has her danzais, and her 2S absolutely smothers air. CH that, and it's your life.

As far as May goes, uhm, there isn't too much I really HATE about May. I hate her big damage, and I really hate OHK. That's about it. Oh, and Mays be warned; Danzai will beat your OHK.

Good shit Kyle, I should compile something similar for these forums. What advice could you give to us humble ABA players vs May from your perspective? :)

Good shit Kyle, I should compile something similar for these forums. What advice could you give to us humble ABA players vs May from your perspective? :)

To A.B.A.'s out there.

May has lots of launches and CAN always Knockdown. But, your F5S ruins most of these opportunities. Watch/Bait 3K, one guarded 3k will WIN you a match. No Shoryu, but she will super (63214HS) to beat your 2HS on wake up. This is the worst match up in the game for a reason. WATCH for OHK than jump and FD. The worst you will eat is an air throw. That is the MOST FRUSTRATING thing playing May and people JUMP and FD everything. DON'T fear, once you do MAY wins.

Look HERE for May Strats.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3666

Thanks for all the help Seth, It wouldn't be efficient without your input.

~Kyle

Normal or mohora? Normal doesn't have many options in general, maybe the forcebreak slide into throw might work really well in that situation. For Mohora options I'd personally just run in or IAD in after her.

Like I said earlier learn to use 2k against slide head, it saves a lot of headache when you don't have to worry about him getting a free knockdown at range.

2K vs. slidehead rocks once you get the timing down, I still have to try using it against my Pot playing friend though, that's where the real test is. Maybe someone can help me out against his favorite situation though, from a knockdown he'll do 2K->slidehead to pressure my wakeup. Would an IB against the 2K lessen the block stun enough for me to 2K or backdash the incoming slidehead. I only ask because i'm still kinda new and i'm currently failing Advanced Defense 5326.

you can always jump. Instant blocking his 2K is not necessary but helpful regardless if you're going to jump. Instant blocking his 6HS is a must though. At this point your opponent will have to get smart enough to start throwing out heat knuckles instead of slide heads. 2K won't work up close I believe because his attack box will take you out. =/

I never use 2k against slide head point blank, because at that point you can just block the slidehead with no ill effect. Use it when you are across the screen and need to get into moroho, or if you just want to condition them into not using it so much (If you show someone that a move they do is ineffective, I notice that they tend to stop using it)

Vanilla Attack < Danzai < Volcanic Viper < EX Danzai There was no EX Danzai in Slash. Now that there is, that's a great upper hand. It completely and single handedly negates his VV AND Wild Throw. Any predicted, FRC-less Gunflame is a dash jump j.H counterhit. If he tries to rush you down blindly, you have plenty of moves - including EX Danzai - to punish him. You don't want to be using 5P as AA against Sol, his j.H beats your 5P. Rather, resort to 6P and 2S generally. 6P every Riot Stomp you can, and when in the neutral game, go ahead and poke with 5H and 236S. Your neutral game is far scarier than Sol's when in Moroha. It can, however, be difficult to find the space to transform into Moroha from Normal; you just have to be patient. You really don't want to non-FB slide a lot in this matchup to escape pressure; sliding into a Gunflame is a one way ticket to Frowntown.

if he doing it up close, u can just 5p it, but if he space it right, i would suggest u to slide over it/Danzai, Sol BB hit box isn't part of his body hit box and hit pretty far and deep

I wouldn't really trust the matchup chart used here and in the Matchups subforum. It's from February of last year I think and has some wacky stuff, most notably Axl/HOS/ABA/Zappa/Faust all being above Slayer, and Millia in the lower tier. ABA would probably rate lower in more current charts if you can find any, though I certainly don't know enough yet to say what would change...

I wouldn't say she rates lower, the mechanics and strategies for match-ups are still genuinely the same. And the really great ABA players are able to adapt to changes that happen in certain match-ups, so they usually stay around teh same score marks over time.

I certainly agree with that, but that chart had her at #3 or 4 in the game or something like that. I don't think that's really defensible. Oh one thing that does stand out: Her beating Jam seems MAD sketchy to me...

Dood, I meant that old matchup chart that you linked in the OP. That's what I've been disputing this whole time. If you look at the overall numbers there, Eddie & Testament are tops at +13 and ABA is tied with Baiken (I think that's Baiken...) for 3rd at +6. That was one of the reasons I said we shouldn't read too much into that, because I agree that ABA in top 4 is pretty silly. Ergo, some of the individual matchups in there are probably off, and I brought up the Jam fight as an example. Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. =)

Ah, forreal. The Jam fight sort of confused me, but it's also real difficult for Jam. If I personally knew the matchup better I think it would be in my favor, simply because strong defense / familiarity against Jam means less knockdowns, and ABA's normals wreck Jam's day (2S, anyone?) My b on getting confused. Thanks for coming to C3 btw with Ohio Funkdoc, was good. 2x Axl from Ohio, lol.

ABA most definitely can take out Jam. The real reason Jam would give ABA a problem is because of how easily she can IK ABA. Other than that. Jam has much to fear because ABA's pokes, pressure, and damage, and go head to head with Jam's.

err i'm playing Jam and already goes against my friend which has decent ABA at first i thought when dealing around 50%~70% of life bar/combos on her ... it's a good damage output but then, she can make it even/more with just 2hs/ch j.hs and 1 frc ... and fyi ABA landed ch(rekkas,2d,danzai) on Jam a lot more often than Jam on hers if Jam trying his 2p/2s poking games ... it's really a hard match for Jam when ABA was on Moroha ... and btw for Jam going head to head v ABA on moroha is suicide imo XD and talking about easy IK... i think i landed more IK on her when playing Bridget than when i playing Jam :psyduck:

A couple of things about the Pot fight; -You should be fuzzying the fuck out of him on his wakeup. It's backdash proof, as if he does, you can just jump again and j.H whatever he tries to do. -He has zero answer to your pokes at max range. 5S is good, but this is the match where 5H truly shines (he can't jump it either lol); learn to confirm them into rekkas on hit. If he gets desperate and does Judge Gaunt, just cancel whatever you're doing into a Danzai of some sort on reaction to the FB flash. -If you're already in Moroha mode, and he slideheads, just IAD j.H him in the face. This is the ONLY time you should ever be IADing at him btw, under any circumstances. When moving forward in the air, your j.H loses to a lot more 6Ps than you're probably used to, and eating anything into a heat knuckle in Moroha is a great way to lose a round. -I really think that the only reason that ABAs lose this fight so often is impatience. Honestly, I think it's even, if not slightly in her favor, provided that transformed ABA maintains her spacing well. If you're not in buster range, and are constantly looking for and reacting to Slidehead, I fail to see why you should ever get hit. Don't run in too far, and don't try to mix him up outside of oki fuzzy guard stuff. Just poke until he goes crazy/dies. Basically, pretend you're Bridget, except instead of a yoyo, you have a giant bloody key.

pot vs. aba used to be in aba's favour in slash, just remember how fab got raped at SBO. also, danzai's throw invul really helps in the matchup. i still think it's even, but i haven't played any japanese pots with my scrubby aba. oh, and on a side note - that matchup chart you are using is ANCIENT. better get rid of those numbers in the matchup threads.