shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Nope, but I'm sure you'll find a character that you believe plays like Cammy. That's always how these questions end up.

EDIT: I fail at (S)SF4 character knowledge. My other point stands.

Blazblue really needs a charge character. I don't like them, but some people do, and there's no reason to not have at least one.

Except Cammy is not a charge character. Anyways, Koukin, just ignore what I said earlier. You want Ragna.

Except Cammy is not a charge character. Anyways, Koukin, just ignore what I said earlier. You want Ragna.

Ok thanks. Sorry I probably shouldn't have said just Cammy. Probably isn't enough info unless you know how she plays. So I guess anyone who has a rushdown playstyle I would be interested to look into.

i don't know how many more times this is going to have to be repeated, but here goes nothing.

asking us to help you pick a main is like asking us to help pick out your wardrobe, car, occupation and/or diet. we don't know what you like and chances are you are not able to articulate it (mostly because you're new to the game/genre and aren't really able to put such things into words yet). the only way you will be able to pick a main is to try every character and see if any of them "click" with you.

and if nobody "clicks" on the first try, give it a second try. failing that, try another game.

the problem with asking for a "zoning"/"rushdown"/whatever character is that everyone has all of that to a certain extent. and as said before, unless you've been playing fighting games for awhile, you won't really be able to articulate exactly what it is you want, so any suggestions you get are going to be based on keywords more than actual knowledge of the character/game.

that's actually the best way to think of it, too. ever tried searching for something on google and ended up with something else entirely because what you were searching for had a popular keyword? same thing here.

i guess a more relevant example would be people asking for "zoning" or "rushdown" characters in blazblue. for example's sake, let's compare hakumen to ragna in cs. by conventional wisdom, hakumen is a "zoning" character, but it's not like he doesn't have "rushdown"; in fact, he has some of the trickiest frametraps in the entire game, so who's a "rushdown" character now? same thing with how people will say ragna is a "rushdown" character without taking into account how well he can create and control space. does this make him a "zoning" character?

the answer? like i said before, everyone in this game has at least a little bit of everything; it's all about finding the character you're most comfortable using. and we can only help you so much (read: not much at all) with that.

I'm interested in Taokaka, Litchi, Rachel, and Makato. I'm new to this after I recented and played the first Blazblue.

If you haven't done so already, read the first few pages of the thread. People have described the characters in point form enough that you can catch on to their playstyle in a few seconds.

The direction that majority of fighter games are following is giving each character a little bit of everything and then leaving it up to the player to explore the possibilities of character usage with their creativity.

I'm confident in saying that game developers didn't have the idea of designing a character to be play a certian play style but give them tools that works within their game engine base on theoretical thinking. (of course their are some exceptions, certian games do have a general flowchart they try to follow. I think majority of capcom fighter practice this, especially SF4)

A game like Blaz Blue and Guilty gear invokes more on a players creativity while using the plethora of tools in their games engine. Your basically put in a situation where you have to improvise more than following a script in the likes of majority of capcom fighters. The closet thing to script following will be VALID combo's which they all can be alter for different result and purpose at the player's leisure.

With that in mind its ideally the players them self to form a ideal style with a character No two player who ever use the same character have the same theory mentality or playing style so that's why mirror matches generally have no flowchart what so ever. Some tools may have prefer usage upon a scenario but that's does not mean it cant be use in other ways. Its all still up to a player to decide how to use what tools they have.

I'll like to point out that I'm mot trying to belittle those who ask for suggestions but be aware that most problems have more than one solution. Its up to them to find out what they prefer

My suggestion to player is that if your still trying to find character on game's with these type of design. I think you should readdress the the situation as you trying to identify your own play style (. Because no matter what is suggested, if you your self not capable of performing what was recommended, than the point of suggestion is inane in it self. How ever if you know where your ability as player relies than you would be able to recognize what you like in a character tools and develop your own style from their.

The direction that majority of fighter games are following is giving each character a little bit of everything and then leaving it up to the player to explore the possibilities of character usage with their creativity.

I'm confident in saying that game developers didn't have the idea of designing a character to be play a certian play style but give them tools that works within their game engine base on theoretical thinking. (of course their are some exceptions, certian games do have a general flowchart they try to follow. I think majority of capcom fighter practice this, especially SF4)

A game like Blaz Blue and Guilty gear invokes more on a players creativity while using the plethora of tools in their games engine. Your basically put in a situation where you have to improvise more than following a script in the likes of majority of capcom fighters. The closet thing to script following will be VALID combo's which they all can be alter for different result and purpose at the player's leisure.

With that in mind its ideally the players them self to form a ideal style with a character No two player who ever use the same character have the same theory mentality or playing style so that's why mirror matches generally have no flowchart what so ever. Some tools may have prefer usage upon a scenario but that's does not mean it cant be use in other ways. Its all still up to a player to decide how to use what tools they have.

I'll like to point out that I'm trying to belittle those who ask for suggestions but be aware that most problems have more than one solution. Its up to them to find out what they prefer

My suggestion to player is that if your still trying to find character on game's with these type of design. I think you should readdress the the situation as you trying to identify your own play style (. Because no matter what is suggested, if you your self not capable of performing what was recommended, than the point of suggestion is inane in it self. How ever if you know where your ability as player relies than you would be able to recognize what you like in a character tools and develop your own style from their.

This. Completely this. :yaaay:

I would suggest to test run (through arcade, survival, or training) different characters until you find one that fits right.

I would be really friggen surprised if BB gets a charge character. In over 10 years and 5 games Guilty Gear didn't get a single charge character. And if they could have worked in a charge character it should have been either Hakumen or Hazama (IMO) since they play pretty passive and can afford to sit there.

Oh and some more for Hazama

If you like:

-Building bar like a mofo

-Having very strict timing on your combos

-Being incredibly super oriented for max damage

-Do insanely long and flashy combos that will wow people that is stupidly hard to pull off consistently

-Having many combos that are character specific

-Mimicking Michael Jackson

-Trolling

-Being the only bad guy on the roster

Then you need to play as hzball.gif

-Do insanely long and flashy combos that will wow people that is stupidly hard to pull off consistently

His combos are like the easiest to pull off in the game. They're also some of the more boring ones, since eventually, people are going to realize that that's all he's ever really going to do.

In over 10 years and 5 games Guilty Gear didn't get a single charge character.

You mean May and Venom never existed at all?

You mean May,Axl and Venom never existed at all?

fixed, and Venom's a charge character? (only really used him in GGX)

@Meever: 10 years and 5 games huh... You sure you were paying attention to GG?

and Venom's a charge character? (only really used him in GGX)

Well, yes?

His charge moves, from what I saw of the 20+ mins of messing around with him on #R, let him shoot his pool balls at different angles.

But that's not the point of the thread, so.

fixed, and Venom's a charge character? (only really used him in GGX)

Yes, Venom has some charge specials - Stinger Aim and Carcass Raid.

edit: This is getting off-topic. The point (I assume) was that Blazblue has no charge characters currently. Playing Makoto seems like a decent solution, though she's not a traditional charge character.

The tricky part for me is always balancing a fighter I may be good with versus a fighter I just like as a character. It's taken me way longer than it should've to realize this.

I'm picking up the game tomorrow (today) and was wondering:

I play Dudley in Super Street Fighter IV... what would be his equivalent in this game?

(I mostly like him for his mixup game on wakeup or whatever... he has the overhead combo and it's great for getting people to guess; lot's of fun to play... so, I guess I want a character where I get to keep the opponent guessing during wakeup or something to that effect... which could pretty much be anyone, I guess, but I might as well ask)

But, uh, yeah... played the old game and noob spammed Ragna (abcd all day), but am actually going to sit down and learn this one (will be going between here and the tutorial stuff in order to get myself going)...

A prod in the right direction would help.

I was kinda considering maybe Bang (something in the first few pages of this thread caught my eye), but I'm not sure...

EDIT:

ALSO, I was hoping Hazama, but someone in my crew is already using him, so I wanna do someone else...

If you don't mind DLC characters, Makoto is shaping up to be very similar to Dudley, very up-close pressure and mixup with her fists. Heck, her Unlimited form lets you throw an acorn as a taunt like Dudley's rose...

If you don't mind DLC characters, Makoto is shaping up to be very similar to Dudley, very up-close pressure and mixup with her fists. Heck, her Unlimited form lets you throw an acorn as a taunt like Dudley's rose...

Oh, actually, yeah, I completely forgot: she was actually who I was most interested in...

Ffffffffffff--

However, not all the places will have DLC (I'm certainly getting them for myself and bringing it to my meets via my X-Box hard drive), but in the event that I don't have access to DLC characters, what's a good rush-down character that keeps people guessing?

Does Bang have that kind of guessing game going for him?

EDIT:

Plus, I need someone to temporarily use anyway as she doesn't come out until August (while we're at it: does anybody actually have a complete date listing for the DLC characters?)

I LOVE Dudders in 3S and SSFIV ( i think he made the best transition of the 3 3S members). So if Makoto is like that, i'll definitely be interested, does she have INSANE hit confirms too? :keke:

I always pick a rushdown character in fighters, i just don't have the turtle mentality/skills. I also like the "beginner" characters (characters that are good for begginers to pick up, the easy to learn, hard to master type) It's why i love Ryu and why i picked Ragna as well.

I LOVE Dudders in 3S and SSFIV ( i think he made the best transition of the 3 3S members). So if Makoto is like that, i'll definitely be interested, does she have INSANE hit confirms too? :keke:

6.5k meterless off of a confirmed parry. Have fun :)

hey im new to fighting games but i really want get good at blablue cs i tried jin out and i lkike the way he plays but i also like litchi who has the harder learing curve