shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

hey im new to fighting games but i really want get good at blablue cs i tried jin out and i lkike the way he plays but i also like litchi who has the harder learing curve

Litchi does what Jin does better, in nearly every aspect..... except maybe defensive options. but she's more difficult to play, and is very offense based, Jin is a mario.... he doesn't do anything well, but he doesn't do anything bad (except high/low mixup). Jin is also more meter dependant than most of the cast (except Hakumen and, arguably, Ragna) he also can't captilize on a FC as much as the higher tier characters.... and his damage is meh.... and.......................

just choose Litchi if you want to win.

but Jin is cooler......

:vbang:

Litchi does what Jin does better, in nearly every aspect..... except maybe defensive options. but she's more difficult to play, and is very offense based, Jin is a mario.... he doesn't do anything well, but he doesn't do anything bad (except high/low mixup). Jin is also more meter dependant than most of the cast (except Hakumen and, arguably, Ragna) he also can't captilize on a FC as much as the higher tier characters.... and his damage is meh.... and.......................

just choose Litchi if you want to win.

but Jin is cooler......

:vbang:

wow a smash reference :psyduck: It's best to stick away from high learning curve characters like Litchi and C.Viper when you're first starting out, it just ends up stunting your growth.

Yeah I've started watching jin matches and I'm like what people are doing with him. So I'm gonna stick with :JI: and just learn the game with him then start to practice with :LI:

wow a smash reference :psyduck: It's best to stick away from high learning curve characters like Litchi and C.Viper when you're first starting out, it just ends up stunting your growth.

wut? no mario is a term to refer to a "average" at everything character, jack is another term.

wut? no mario is a term to refer to a "average" at everything character, jack is another term.

LOL, i got confused because mario from smash IS that kind of character :psyduck:

So I'm a BlazBlue noob that's decided to main Hazama but things are going very rough. I just get so lost during matches but I really do want to main Hazama. Should I just keep maining him and hope it eventually clicks or should I pick an easier character to help me ease into the game first? Are there any characters that play similar to Hazama that are easier to learn?

So I'm a BlazBlue noob that's decided to main Hazama but things are going very rough. I just get so lost during matches but I really do want to main Hazama. Should I just keep maining him and hope it eventually clicks or should I pick an easier character to help me ease into the game first? Are there any characters that play similar to Hazama that are easier to learn?

wow u guys weren't kidding u get these questions ALOT ><

once again pick a character YOU feel most comfortable with, don't pay attention to tiers, or what not IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU.

Saying that Hazama is a pretty "unique" character EVEN among fighters, i can give you the "Ryu" advice.

Play a basic character (in BB: Ragna, in SF: Ryu) learn him for awhile until you are competent. once you know HIM it will be easier to grasp OTHER characters, because you will have a more solid foundation.

Hope this helps! :eng101:

I'd pick up an easier character, ragna, jin, or maybe noel to get you used to the way Blazblue plays. Hazama plays so differently from everyone in the cast that there's not really much that you can do to ease yourself into playing him. Another great reason for picking up ragna or jin is that you'll learn all the basics for a majority of the rest of the cast. That way, if say in a few months you decide that you don't like Hazama then when you've spent all this time playing him alone you've limited your playstyle to one character.

In conclusion: Keep practicing hazama, but pick up an easier character and learn how to play with them first.

I disagree with the last two posters. You should play the character you want to play. Hazama might take you a while to get used to, but it's not like he's the hardest character in the game.

If at all possible, you should find (at least) one more new blazblue player to learn with (in person), however. It's much easier to pick things up in person than online.

I'm having the exact same problem haha. I'm very new to the game and I wanted Hazama to be my main but I am just getting destroyed online. I've practiced all the BnB combos but in a match I get lost also. I feel like unless you can pull off those combos perfectly he doesn't do enough damage.

I'm gonna take the advice and try someone else out to learn the ropes better, but I still want to get better with him.

If you're on PSN doublethink, add bike_tough if you wanna practice sometime.

I'm having the exact same problem haha. I'm very new to the game and I wanted Hazama to be my main but I am just getting destroyed online. I've practiced all the BnB combos but in a match I get lost also. I feel like unless you can pull off those combos perfectly he doesn't do enough damage.

I'm gonna take the advice and try someone else out to learn the ropes better, but I still want to get better with him.

Make that three. Well not really. Just bought the game today and tried hazuma in training mode and loved him. Have not done ranked or anything yet though and I hope I don't have a hard time. I don't give up easy though if I really like a character no matter what.

Sure. I'm on Pacific time.

While it's nice to see people interested in Terumi, I should state this for you all now who wish to pick up Hazama as your first character. If this is your first fighting game ...DON'T pick him...I assume this is not so I won't get into the specifics of why that is but ultimately he is...he will not be conducive to your learning the system nor will he help your general understanding of fighting games. Hazama is a character that requires patience, the ability to stay very calm, and a pretty steep learning curve. His movement being based on a drive and not physically running is very tricky.

That being said, Hazama is made for the patient, if you have an ability to wait out block strings for your opportunity, if you have the ability to zone out your opponents and annoy them into making a mistake, if you are good at blocking, and if you have good execution you should play Hazama, if these things are lacking, I would suggest Ragna to learn the system, if you want to practice zoning while learning the system I would say Jin is a better choice than this. Noel is a great mixup character, and if you want someone who can get around like Hazama, try Tao although she is a lot of work too.

Many of you may disagree with my assessment and that is of course your prerogative and I appreciate your thoughts, that being said, I stand by the idea that Hazama is a character that will only meld with certain players, if you like him that's wonderful but he isn't someone everyone will be able to use, his strange movement and odd spacing will make many people drop back to more traditional characters and that's fine, Ragna and Jin are still excellent choices (Ragna's top tier guys...he's a real good choice nowadays) but if you struggle with Hazama, he may be wrong for you and that's ok. Don't fret, you can always come back to him when you feel you are ready but you should know, if you pick him up, do not expect to win today. You will need to work.

Learning Hazama's BnB is just one part of the game. It's generally a good idea to learn the basics for other characters as well, as to develop strategies against them. I play Hazama as my main in CS, he's fun to use, but the main problem I have is the general strategies against certain characters.

I'm struggling with my choices. I want to play with other characters but I'm lacking in overall general ability so Ive been using Hakumen simply due to parry.

I'm struggling with my choices. I want to play with other characters but I'm lacking in overall general ability so Ive been using Hakumen simply due to parry.

Same problem here, although I've been using Lambda since she seems more friendly to a bait and punish type play that I'm using while I work on my execution.

I absolutely agree with zomby its gonna be really hard to adapt to situations with hazama being that he has to wait to get openings. Its best to find a character u like whose learning curve isn't so damning. But if u still want to the best advice I can give(even though I'm still kinda a noob) watch videos and players different stratiges and try to develop your own, and practice!

Hm I remember asking in the hazama thread about playing a style that sounds like what but they said that he wasn't effective in that area. But if he is than I may have just found my main.

I'm pretty much all about tricks and punishments so I've been having a hard time finding character who I can develop that with.

Hm I remember asking in the hazama thread about playing a style that sounds like what but they said that he wasn't effective in that area. But if he is than I may have just found my main.

I'm pretty much all about tricks and punishments so I've been having a hard time finding character who I can develop that with.

Well I'm still pretty much a noob and I'm using jin to learn the system until I find my true character, but in the tricks department thers a character that comes to mind if u don't mind tier list:

Arakune has a lot of setups but u have to work for it

Maybe Rachel

:LI: but good luck

But I would stick with hakumen he's a lot harder to master but its worth it

Well I'm still pretty much a noob and I'm using jin to learn the system until I find my true character, but in the tricks department thers a character that comes to mind if u don't mind tier list:

Arakune has a lot of setups but u have to work for it

Maybe Rachel

:LI: but good luck

But I would stick with hakumen he's a lot harder to master but its worth it

Well I must admit I do have tier whore problem with low tiers.

Some how Hakumen wasn't really hard to pick up. I think it just that he demands more fundamental and patience which normally all low tier have to do.(maybe his CT was hard but CS is a beast)

Hey all. I have experience playing fighter games; however, this is the first noncapcom one that I have gotten interested in learning. There isn't much competition locally and my transportation is limited, so I will primarily be playing online except when I travel to attend a tourney. With that said, I want to learn a character which can be played mostly the same both online (I have a fairly good connection) and offline. I don't want to come to rely on things which can be made safe by lag or be unable to practice others because of it. Right now I have been working on Lambda and Tsubaki, are either of these good choices given my circumstances?

Hey all. I have experience playing fighter games; however, this is the first noncapcom one that I have gotten interested in learning. There isn't much competition locally and my transportation is limited, so I will primarily be playing online except when I travel to attend a tourney. With that said, I want to learn a character which can be played mostly the same both online (I have a fairly good connection) and offline. I don't want to come to rely on things which can be made safe by lag or be unable to practice others because of it. Right now I have been working on Lambda and Tsubaki, are either of these good choices given my circumstances?

right now since ur still new to game i cant pick a character for since i dont know what play style u perfer but if u wanna get good at this game just find a character that u like learn the basics and from then develop ur strategy practice makes perfect

I pick my Main more by personality than playstyle, which made me play :TA: (actually also was really pleases since I love fast characters), then :NO:, then :LI: (this more because I loved the difference in style between Stick and noStick), then :RA: (because it was fun to set up traps) and then end up with :LA: and :MK:. These I love for both personality and playstyle and its fun to have 2 somewhat totaly different picks.

Lambda even tho she seems a bit hard to use when you play against her actually has a really easy learning curve, atleast I feel that way. Only reason I wouldn't suggest her to beginner is her low HP, very specific range and playstyle.

But she and Nu are probably the most sweetest Characters full of love and sadness. I almost cryed during Lambdas Gag Reel, which was so cute but then so sad in the end.

Best is to try alot of characters and find one you like (don't be shy to learn some combos for every character you try, it will help against them later on and show you more of their playstyle).

But I would say it's more important that you really like your main and it's playstyle, more important than having it easy with him or her, because if you like your character then you will feel the urge to keep playing her or him, never stop to improve and show everyone just how awesome he or she is, which might be a long road but in the end you gonna feel better being good with the character you like than the one you picked up just because it's easy.

Best zoning characters? I was always one to play that style. SF4 played Sagat (go on, say it) as well as a runaway Akuma. Would have moved on to Dhalsim if I didn't get sick of that game. I'm assuming its Lamda and Hazama but I'd rather not rely on my gut.

Oh and sorry if it's been posted before but I can't exactly sort through over a dozen pages.