shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Best zoning characters? I was always one to play that style. SF4 played Sagat (go on, say it) as well as a runaway Akuma. Would have moved on to Dhalsim if I didn't get sick of that game. I'm assuming its Lamda and Hazama but I'd rather not rely on my gut.

Oh and sorry if it's been posted before but I can't exactly sort through over a dozen pages.

yeah this thread is pretty worthless since it's mostly people posting just to post. Hazama and Lambda are both strong zoners, but Mu, Hakumen and Litchi all have very good pokes for mid-screen range. Hazama and Lambda have better fullscreen zoning, but they also have a pretty exploitable gap at mid-screen range And arakune is definitely the best at playing runaway.

ok i use noel has my main but i keep getting my @$$ kicked by pros any good advice for her? and i'm noobish so yeah...

i played ragna but then i saw every1 played ragna so i switch to carl. right now i play both of them

I was wondering if I should stick with Tsubaki or change my main altogether. I like her good mix-up and rush-down game, but her damage output isn't the greatest. I would like to change to a character that also a pretty good mix-up and rush-down game, but not Ragna. I was thinking of Makoto. Any thoughts?

The game's getting rebalanced soon.

Just play whoever you like and see how it works out post BBCSII balances. Then make w/e decisions you wanna make about playing a higher tier character or one that isn't blind.

I like using Carl :) I mean I know his stats are low and it is hard (well at least for me) to get good players sandwiched between Carl and Nirvana, but I just like his style for some reason o.o I am trying to get better with other characters too, such as Makoto, Ragna, Hazama, and Valkenhyn but only because I feel I get too easily beat as Carl :(

I play characters like Ibuki in SSF4 because I have no idea how to combo so with all those targets it's good. Have no idea how I can play Litchi so she's too sexy not to use so there it is.

And I approve of what some people are doing already here.

If you:

• Like reading other players moves and countering them
  • Like playing defensive and reactionary
  • Like a relatively easy to learn character with simple and damaging combos
  • Like to wield a fucking long sword
  • Like JUSTICE

Then you may want to try :HA:

I love your last two reasons for picking Hakmen

Right, since this is the thread to ask:

Is the any analog to "Cody" in Super Street Fighter 4 in Blazblue? I've been playing Lambada (obvious from my username) as I like her, but I do terrible with her (well, not that that's new in fighting games) and I'm wondering if there is another character in style to the one I generally play in Super Street 4.

Thanks.

it is hard (well at least for me) to get good players sandwiched between Carl and Nirvana(

Well, it's not that hard... I mean, against americans, you're pretty much guaranteed (on block) 5B > summon > IAD > j.2C alle-can (HIT)> sandwich combo :psyduck:

Otherwise, you can use 3C summon combos. And don't forget dem resets (also only against americans :psyduck:) for maximum damage whoring.

Edited by njmamm

So I want to use hazama because he's awesome and I like his gimmick. But doing his combos in trials has been difficult, should I just stick with him or move to a more beginner friendly character? I'm not new to fighting games just BB, and ragna and jin seem really boring but a lot more traditional.

I would just keep at it for a while if you really want to learn Haz. Learning any character is going to take a good amount of dedication but trying out a basic character could help you get a feel for BB in general since you're just starting out.

There's really three ways to approach this: Picking a character you like, picking a character that's effective, and picking a character that's easy for you to use.

If you wanna pick a character that you like, I'd recommend playing through story mode to get a sense for each of the characters. This accomplishes two things: First of all, you get a general sense of how to move with the character and how they work (basically the same as practice mode too, story mode's difficulty is a joke). Second of all, you get to know the character, their past, their motivations, and decide for yourself whether or not you like them and want to play as them.

This is probably the best way for newer players to go about it. You end up learning someone you want to learn and enjoy playing for reasons beyond winning, which can be just as important as winning. Remember, BlazBlue is still a GAME at its core, and if you forget to have fun then you aren't doing it right.

If you want to pick up a character who's just really effective, play Bang or Litchi. I won't get into why right here, there's a really good character analysis thread floating around that can give you the complete list of reasons. Essentially, just be a tier whore.

This is probably the hardest path to go down though. The problem with going straight into the god tier characters is the same problem you get when putting an amateur driver in a race car, you don't know what to do with all that power.

Finally, if you want to pick a character that's easy for you to play, I'd recommend going into Challenge Mode (for CS), or lookup combos (CT) for each character and try them out.

If you're doing challenge mode, then just run through it as far as you can for each character until you hit a major roadblock. Nine times out of ten, if you're a newer player, you won't be able to get past anyone's third challenge except for one or two characters that you were just DETERMINED to get past that point with. Pick one of these characters. This is how I came to pain Lambda.

This last method is about the middle ground point. It's a good place to start if you're kind of experienced at fighter games and kind of already know what you want out of a character.

For the most part though, the best advice I can give on picking a main is to just... play the game. Eventually you'll get to the point where one character just feels better than the rest, and that might even change as you get better (it did for me several times). Good luck!

There's really three ways to approach this: Picking a character you like, picking a character that's effective, and picking a character that's easy for you to use.

If you wanna pick a character that you like, I'd recommend playing through story mode to get a sense for each of the characters. This accomplishes two things: First of all, you get a general sense of how to move with the character and how they work (basically the same as practice mode too, story mode's difficulty is a joke). Second of all, you get to know the character, their past, their motivations, and decide for yourself whether or not you like them and want to play as them.

This is probably the best way for newer players to go about it. You end up learning someone you want to learn and enjoy playing for reasons beyond winning, which can be just as important as winning. Remember, BlazBlue is still a GAME at its core, and if you forget to have fun then you aren't doing it right.

If you want to pick up a character who's just really effective, play Bang or Litchi. I won't get into why right here, there's a really good character analysis thread floating around that can give you the complete list of reasons. Essentially, just be a tier whore.

This is probably the hardest path to go down though. The problem with going straight into the god tier characters is the same problem you get when putting an amateur driver in a race car, you don't know what to do with all that power.

Finally, if you want to pick a character that's easy for you to play, I'd recommend going into Challenge Mode (for CS), or lookup combos (CT) for each character and try them out.

If you're doing challenge mode, then just run through it as far as you can for each character until you hit a major roadblock. Nine times out of ten, if you're a newer player, you won't be able to get past anyone's third challenge except for one or two characters that you were just DETERMINED to get past that point with. Pick one of these characters. This is how I came to pain Lambda.

This last method is about the middle ground point. It's a good place to start if you're kind of experienced at fighter games and kind of already know what you want out of a character.

For the most part though, the best advice I can give on picking a main is to just... play the game. Eventually you'll get to the point where one character just feels better than the rest, and that might even change as you get better (it did for me several times). Good luck!

This whole post is probably one of the best "how to pick a main" posts I've seen for any fighting game. Bravo.

Considering I'm a Testament main/Millia sub player in AC, which character/s in BB would you expect to suit me? I can imagine Testament not having an equivalent, in which case someone with a mix-up/pressure game like Millia's would suffice.

I always play the simplest character. That is, the most straightforward one who (usually) has the least amount of special moves of all the characters. I play May in GG and my game is almost exclusively normal attacks and up/down and back/forward dolphins. Same with SF2 back in the day, I played with Chun Li and used normal attacks and the Lightning Kick, and usually did alright. Basically, I hate having to remember a lot of commands and set ups. Characters like Bridget or Eddie seem like a nightmare to use.

Who's a simple character in the BB games? My roommate just got Calamity Trigger (suggested by a friend) and I've been getting by with Rachel and her spammy projectiles. But then my roommate mains V-13 and kicks my butt. I've also been leaning towards Taokaka or Noel. I refuse to play Jin, it seems like you have to be really good at combos to play him, and I am not.

Edit: And I know I'm a newb, heck I still read CT as Chrono Trigger by habit. So please be kind.

Edited by Sygmus

I always play the simplest character. That is, the most straightforward one who (usually) has the least amount of special moves of all the characters. I play May in GG and my game is almost exclusively normal attacks and up/down and back/forward dolphins. Same with SF2 back in the day, I played with Chun Li and used normal attacks and the Lightning Kick, and usually did alright. Basically, I hate having to remember a lot of commands and set ups. Characters like Bridget or Eddie seem like a nightmare to use.

Who's a simple character in the BB games? My roommate just got Calamity Trigger (suggested by a friend) and I've been getting by with Rachel and her spammy projectiles. But then my roommate mains V-13 and kicks my butt. I've also been leaning towards Taokaka or Noel. I refuse to play Jin, it seems like you have to be really good at combos to play him, and I am not.

Edit: And I know I'm a newb, heck I still read CT as Chrono Trigger by habit. So please be kind.

Although I am also new to this game, a character that doesn't use a lot of specials to be effective would probably be Noel. Her BnBs mostly consist of normals with Distortions to finish, and a lot of her normal hadouken or shoyryuken (236Button or 623Button) movements aren't used as much. Not to mention her drive move is in itself a combo starter and finisher.

How balanced is this game though. Because even though Im just starting the game, I do plan on some point in hitting up the tournament scene, so shouldn't I be worried about not picking a horrible character? Im trying to pick in between Jin and Arakune, I like both of them (jin a bit better) but I feel like everyone plays Jin, and I dont like picking the same character as everyone else.

CS is worlds more balanced than CT.

Also you should pick a character that fits your style.

I main tager and he is a horrible character (he's still viable.)

but I go on to place top 4 in tourney's.

Why not play who like? why not just main both or sub one? use jin to get skill and execution down then start picking up arakune when you feel your ready.

I did the same with haku and ragna when I dropped rags to learn tager.