shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

If Ragna is the easiest character to learn for high level play, then I'll stick with him until CS2 is available in Europe, at which point I'll be more comfortable with the game and can consider switching to a new main. I may give Taokaka a go because someone mentioned she's good for people who play on instinct, but my friend who already mains her says all her combos in CS rely on taunt cancelling or something, and involve links. If I can handle her BNB combos consistently, I may just use her as she seems quite speedy-looking, if not then I know I can fall back on Ragna. Can anyone expand upon the comment regarding Taokaka being good for instinctive play? Is it actually true, and if so what makes her so capable in this category compared to other characters?

Not to offend you or anything, but don't expect to hit high-level play for a long, long time. So, picking an easy character for such an environment is pretty moot. Also, there isn't much meaning to "instinctive play". You try to read and react to opponents, not do things on instinct. So, whoever told you that is pretty stupid.

Not to offend you or anything, but don't expect to hit high-level play for a long, long time. So, picking an easy character for such an environment is pretty moot. Also, there isn't much meaning to "instinctive play". You try to read and react to opponents, not do things on instinct. So, whoever told you that is pretty stupid.

No offense taken, but I want to take part in the UK fighting game scene and anything that makes my life easier when playing casual or entering tournaments for fun is naturally appreciated. I read the Taokaka comment in this very topic as I browsed through the first few pages before posting. I'm a tiny but hesitant about using Ragna since one of my friends already uses him as his main so I predict many mirror matches if I also go with that choice. I wanted to pick up Rachel but I hear she's not only been nerfed in CS but she's also quite tricky to use well.

Actually, having someone to who also plays your main has benefits in its own right. You guys can actually share info about what is working, what isn't, and actually be a leg up when fighting mirrors come tourney time. Some of us would actually love the chance to play mirrors for the matchup experience. Right now, I'm in a state where the only place I can find another Noel player is online, and I don't even bother with Ranked for that since most of them are garbage anyway.

Make sure that when you do pick a main you have fun with them. Nothing can't be fixed execution-wise that time in practice mode can't fix. I'd say take advice of others about mains only if they know about what kind of style you play, and characters that fit that style more. And character love doesn't hurt, either.

Hi Guys!, I bought BBCS the last week, and I got some problems selecting my Main.

In GG I usually play with May, I-no and Venom. Here I was looking for some char with nice priority in his moves or nice presure or cool Okizemes. :S

My first selecction was Rachel, in my oppinion is some kind of Dizzy+Faut. I enjoy playing her but when I play to a mid level player I losse to easily.

I miss the common gatling combos of GG so I tried ragna and jin. I have found ragna so boring for me, and jin dont has any kind of priority on his moves and is so hard begun pressure of mixups with low knowledge of the game. I think that the could be my secondary character in the future.

Any suggestion plz? I was thinking that maybe Lichi is the character that mach with me, because Im looking for something with presure, mix ups and priority on his moves.

Thanks in advance:psyduck::psyduck:

If you enjoy playing as Rachel don't look any further, just keep doing what you enjoy and you'll keep getting better. Rachel is quite possibly the hardest character to play as in CS2 due to how hard you have to work to get any decent damage in, but she's supposed to be a solid mid-tier character in CS2 so it will probably pay off if you stick to her.

And don't expect to win against mid-level or - hell - even low-level players if you just bought the game last week. Give it some time, keep doing what you enjoy, that's what gaming is about. If you find yourself liking another character along the way (I recommend you to beat Arcade mode with every char before you actually settle for your main) you can always sub him and if he fits you more you will find out he's become your main anyways. That's what's happening to me with Jin/Hazama right now. Watch some tournament videos if you haven't already done so - there you can more or less see what all the characters are about.

Gatlings, pressure, mix ups and priority you say? You might want to try out Bang. As much as I love his character design I haven't been able to like his moveset myself though, so if you don't enjoy using him stick to Rachel.

i picked jin, the way i've always picked a character in a fighting game. look at all of them and pick the one that looks the coolest.

So true :)

I did the same thing in Guilty and ended up with Sol as my main. But then i moved to Ky after messing around with him in training. For BB i picked Jin since he's the Ky equivalent in BB. I also like using characters with a refined, very precise style of play.

thank you Feanor, Later of a few days of training and playing story mode i think that I has chossed my main "Rachel" I like his zoning and her playstile, and if I am bored of play from long distances I think that I will get Jin as my secondary character, His "C" combos are fun to make.

Thanks for your help!

do many people switch mains when they play or learn the game? on bbct i mained nu at first then switched to ragna to learn fundamentals then moved onto jin. When bbcs came out i dropped jin and picked hakumen because i liked his play style much more.

do many people switch mains when they play or learn the game? on bbct i mained nu at first then switched to ragna to learn fundamentals then moved onto jin. When bbcs came out i dropped jin and picked hakumen because i liked his play style much more.

That's actually normal, i switched mains a few times, I went from Jin, to Ragna, to Hazama, to Rachel. And after picking them up, i learned something new about the game mechanics, or how to beat the character, example, i learned that you could gatling, B,A,B,C in the air from using Rachel, and from playing Ragna i found out holes in his pressure strings, making it easier to fight him now with Jin.

It's also pretty common for people to switch back to their original mains after using other characters.

I think it's pretty normal. I started with Tao in CT. Eventually I realized I didn't like "in your face" characters very much and found Nu, and discovered zoning is fun. CS came around, obviously I was playing Lambda. Then I realized pressing D that much drove me crazy. Then I found Mu more recently and discovered she's the perfect blend of zoning and melee that I was looking for. My roommate still doesn't have a solid main yet.

whos the hardest character to main in the came? execution wise?

which character has the best mix up possibilities?

You're looking for Litchi from my understanding of the characters.

Mmm yeah I was thinking Litchi but is Carl harder execution wise?

And is there other characters with better oki then Litchi?

Mmm yeah I was thinking Litchi but is Carl harder execution wise?

And is there other characters with better oki then Litchi?

Not really, Litchi is the only character of the cast who can rack up a 30+ hit combo on oki without having the combo go bluebeat, Carl has decent oki, but there's no much he can do from the ground besides picking you up & looping you. It's really predictable too.

For pretty good mixup and decent oki, pick Litchi.

For hard to master yet rather deadly "sandwich" pressure and unblockable setups/resets..pick carl. (Though he's looking eh in CS2 so the effort to master him may/may not be worth it...)

But if oki is your main game..Mu has probably some of the most varied setups out of the cast. She has meh-ish mixup though since she's primarily a zoning character.

Silly question, since I'm bored.

I obviously already have a main, but, who would you gentlemen say is closest to C-Akiha? I think I want a proper sub.

New to Continuum Shift. Planning to buy it soon. Played the original BB:CT as an around mid level Jin. However, want to try out some of the new characters in CS. Some of them being Mu-12, Tsubaki and Hazama. I also want to give some of the older characters another try. Specifically Hakumen. Normally I really enjoy jack of all trade characters in fighting games. I also don't tend to enjoy high execution characters either. My playstyle has been described as defensive compared to offensive. However, I tend to find that I play a mix of both. Using whichever I see necessary.

Ultimately though, I don't really have too many preferences when it comes to picking a character. If I enjoy a character and they fit my playstyle I enjoy using them regardless. Been reading through this thread and found little discussion about Tsubaki. Could anyone inform me on her playstyle and strengths/weaknesses as a character please? Furthermore, what were some of the changes made to Jin and Hakumen? Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Michael1919

Tsubaki doesn't have a lot of strengths as of CS.

There's 5B, 2C, and her godly run speed.

She's basically a rushdown character, but her rushdown is pretty mediocre, so you'd get rec'd to play Ragna over Tsubaki if you like rushdown.

Thanks. If I want a character who's a mix of rushdown and defense are there any you would suggest?

Definitely stick with Jin if you want rush & defense, but if you want good oki and better high/low mix up options i'd say Mu, she's a perfect mix of Rushdown, Zoning, and mix(rush & zoning), decent high/low mix up options.

I wish to go Hazama main.

I like his fighting still, his motives in story and trolling.

Hell you can troll opponent with his zoning if you know how...too bad he's hard :(