shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

let's see...to say I've been lurking around the BB community just watching since back when Calamity Trigger hit America. So I decided to stop watching and start playing.

Originally, I had my heart set on Iron Tager; his appearance, voice, personally. I think he's really freakin' cool. But...I don't think that is enough to pick a main, it's a GAME right? How the character handles should matter right? I haven't touched a fighting game since Street Fighter Alpha 3. And even then it was just mash button receive bacon so I have no real preferences so I'm kinda of wandering around in the dark. Any suggestions?

picking makoto or valkenhein would be the same as picking ragna or hakumen. If you are debating to get the dlc characters and you are not like me who will buy them anyways even with not really planing to main them; you should watch youtube vids of their gameplay and look to the characters forums to help you make that decision on getting them. But is still good to do that anyways so you know what to look for when facing the dlc characters.

I have a question. Which character has the best damage output in the game?

If I eyeballed it per hit, it'd probably be Hakumen.

Generally, though, all the characters can put out rape-tier damage in the right situation.

Hazama's challenge 10 (with an assload of meter) takes somebody from full to dead iirc, tough question to answer practically imo.

Best overall damage output is probably either Litchi or Ragna. Litchi can get 4-5k meterless off all of her viable pokes while Ragna can hit 4-4.5k meterless off literally any normal with the exception of maybe 2A which I think prorates you down to 3.5k, but he also hits like 8k off an FC 2C. Bang can also hit 4.5-5k meterless off anything but only when in FRKZ. Makoto may be able to hit 5k consistently as well, I'm not sure. Valkenhayn gets very good damage as well but I'm not sure how consistently he can break 5k without meter.

For raw damage that you're actually likely to get more than once in your life, Arakune can do something like 13k off a FC j.C while in curse and 7-9k off everything else. Hazama can also hit 7k or thereabouts off an FC Houtenjin with 100% meter which he gets super easily due to the meter build on j.C. Hakumen can 100% any character in Mugen but I've never seen it done in a non-Japanese match, probably because he needs meter for everything else so getting 8 stars is rare.

DISCLAIMER: Numbers may not be accurate on account of me not giving enough of a damn to check them.

Lol you should pick a character (GET IT? CHARACTER?) that you like.

Take that however you want.

Remember now, whether its a character you actually are interested in, or rather its one you like because its [iN] Is up to you.

I picked jin because he was an ass hole n could freeze ppl.

Im an asshole.

Thar u go.

Also, the best part about having a main is dat dey grow with u. I mean, ur getting finger sores off dem foolz am i right?

The char with the best damage output is tager *Lol*

Well, to be scientific i mean.

I like testament's net combos.

I like sol's clean hit combos.

I like characters with many combo starters.

i like characters with long combos.

i like characters with many things to chain. air dash/pet/run dash/combo resets.

i don't like frcs.

Could i have a list of combo starters and combo resets for suggested character?

If possible, also a suggestion for blazblue.

I suggest you don't play BlazBlue.

As for GG. Play I-No. She has lots of starters, long combos, a variety in combos. tons and tons of resets, and absolutely no FRCs xD

go with Testament. even if you don't use Forward EXE Beast FRC, you still get the net combos, the long combos, and some of the other stuff you mentioned. if you like the screen shaking, just go into training mode once in a while and practice sidewinder/grand viper combos for fun.

I like testament's net combos.

I like sol's clean hit combos.

I like characters with many combo starters.

i like characters with long combos.

i like characters with many things to chain. air dash/pet/run dash/combo resets.

i don't like frcs.

Could i have a list of combo starters and combo resets for suggested character?

If possible, also a suggestion for blazblue.

Try Slayer, Potemkin and Testament.

Slayer is extremely potent at high level play. But seeing how you don't like FRCs ( Implies that you don't want anything to do with high level play )

Go with Potemkin and Testament

I suggest you don't play BlazBlue.

As for GG. Play I-No. She has lots of starters, long combos, a variety in combos. tons and tons of resets, and absolutely no FRCs xD

:psyduck:

Like I said before, Sol has maybe...3 FRCs and only one of them worth learning to use consistently (Gunflame FRC is easy once you figure it out). Most people get bored with him but, I never do.

Order-Sol's not bad either. Also Ky is more about Forcebreaks and CSE FRCs (once you get that down he's cake).

I set Extra Mode to "Easy FRC" at 5 so that the character flashes blue for the frames (extra 5 frames but the eye really can't tell the diff) if I wanna learn my FRCs...once I memorize the frame, I shut if off and get the timing down.

Ky would work. You don't even need FRC CSE; it's not really that valuable. If you're content with playing him at a mediocre level, Ky doesn't need any of his FRCs and can still do cool looking combos like:

close 5S > 2D > Forcebreak Planets > 5S > 2H > j. S > j. S > j. HS > VT > LJ

(versus Johnny-weight characters) close 5S > 5H > stun dipper > RC second hit and dash > close 5S > 2HS > Greed Sever > close 5S > 2HS > VT > LJ > land 2k > 5S > 2H > VT > LJ > land 222H

close 5S > 2D > Sacred Edge > 6H * N

However, if you ever intend on playing Ky even semi-competitively, then learning stun dipper FRC is an absolute requirement. There's no way around it. Everything else is negotiable in comparison.

Edited by ehuangsan

However, if you ever intend on playing Ky even semi-competitively, then learning stun dipper FRC is an absolute requirement. There's no way around it. Everything else is negotiable in comparison.

So even Ky's ground-throw FRC is negotiable in comparison?:wtf:

IIRC, that's one of Ky's main source of damage...

Anyway, I say you should try out A.B.A or Potemkin. A.B.A in Moraha Mode has many nice long combos, resets, and she has little FRC's.

Potemkin has many combo starters, has some-what long combos, has one of the best/most unpredictable mix-up game in GG. e.x combos: 5K>2S>2HS, Heat, RC, 5HS>Heat Extend (if near the corner or if the opponent is low on health. Does about 50% on 1.06 defense modifier)

5K>2S>2HS, Giganter->Gigantic Build (Extend Bullet on Giganter super(632146HS 4123641236P), (after wall bounce) 5HS>Heat Extend (does about 70% on 1.06 defense modifier).

Testament has lots of resets, long combos, many combo starters; and you said you like Net Combos! I think you should go with Testament.

"i like characters with long combos.

i like characters with many things to chain. air dash/pet/run dash/combo resets." After reading this, the first character that came to mind was Millia.. But she requires FRC's (Hair-Car, TK Bad Moon, Tandem Top (H), etc), so nevermind... IMO, it all comes down to who suits your playstyle/whoever you have the most fun playing! <3

Edited by Ky-Sama

I would love one of those too, but it'd just be way too hard to do. I'd think that character weights would just make most combos either dumbed down to work universally, or the challenge combos wouldn't work on a lot of character because it wouldn't take that into consideration and just throw Ky or someone as a dummy.

So even Ky's ground-throw FRC is negotiable in comparison?:wtf:

IIRC, that's one of Ky's main source of damage...

You can always RC the ground throw into the same combo. It's not optimal, but you won't be that much worse off.

In comparison, the FRC stundipper is the only thing that makes Ky somewhat competitive instead of barely playable. RC stundipper does not compare since you can't RC on whiff. There is no substitute for FRC stundipper; it's just that crucial.

Anyway, back on topic, Testament would probably be a better choice than Ky now that I think about it.

You can always RC the ground throw into the same combo. It's not optimal, but you won't be that much worse off.

In comparison, the FRC stundipper is the only thing that makes Ky somewhat competitive instead of barely playable. RC stundipper does not compare since you can't RC on whiff. There is no substitute for FRC stundipper; it's just that crucial.

Anyway, back on topic, Testament would probably be a better choice than Ky now that I think about it.

^ I'm just not going to say anything about this...

Now on topic:

I think A.B.A might be a character you would probably like to use.

A.B.A e.x. combos: 2HS > IAD j.S j.HS 41236S -land- > j.S j.HS j.D 41236S -land- > Keystab > OTG Keystab

Works on: Ky, Zappa, Chipp, Anji, Robo-Ky, Testament, Venom, Potemkin

2HS > IAD j.S j.HS 41236S -land- > dash 5S 2S sjc > j.S j.HS j.D keystab

Works on: Light characters

Throw > 669 j.P j.S j.HS -land- > 5P 5S 2S > sj.S sj.HS sj.D 41236S

Works on: Everyone

This is her BnB throw combo, it does the most damage, can be done mid screen, or make you throw them nearest the closest corner so that the 41236S will connect.

merged this thread with the main one in beginner mode. seriously, use the threads taht are already made and stickied!