The "Picking a Main" thread

If you:

• are exceedingly good looking
  • want an exceedingly good looking character to match
  • want others to know you take looking good seriously
  • have a penchant for homoerotic machismo

pick :JI:

Hahaha, dang, I totally agree with you on this one. XD

So now I realize why I made him my main, it's because of these stuffs haha, but, yeah, I also agree on these as well:

If you:
edit: under duress of spirit juice I'll add information relevant to those other than me. none of these really changed my decision to main Jin, but others might find it interesting

If you:
  • want fatty aerial hitboxes (j.B, j.C, j.2C)
  • want hundred-hand slap (cccccc/sekkajin)
  • want a super that combos into itself (632146D/Ice Arrow)
  • want combos that build stupid meter (any combo with sekkajin)*
  • want decent cross up options (IAD j.D, IAD j.236D, j.B/j.2C)
  • want the most annoying pressure normals in the game (2A, 5B,, 6B, 6D j or dj. B/C/2C)
  • want nice anti-air (dp A/D, 2C, 6C if you're smooth, neutral j.C*)
  • want a grab that combos into itself against those who don't expect it([b+C, 214A] x n)
  • want the most humiliating normal in the game (6a)
  • want s-tier tickthrow setups (2A 66, 6D 66, 6B 66, 5A, 5B)
  • want to spend meter to continue combos (corner 214D, corner 623 D)*
  • want a full screen punish super (632146C)
  • want to do stupid stuff and get away with it (2aaaaaa *wait 2 seconds* ice arrow)
  • want an astral that's very easy to land (grab -> astral)
  • want decent meaty game/okizeme (3C->236C, air grab tech -> j.C, [2a] x n)*

Anyway I want to add mine, though most of these are based on your "personality type" or something, well these are the reasons I picked Jin :

If you:

like color blue, or the combination of Blue and Yellow

like elegant looking characters
like anti-hero type characters (I dunno, but for me, he is more of an anti-hero type haha)
like a katana wielding character
like the elegant and stylish looking sword art with the use of a katana, and awesome Iaidōs
like characters who are always cool... in personality and his Drive which is Ice-based
like traveling across the map while damaging the enemy in your way (the <V+C or D / 24+C or D move)
like a "Jack-of-all-trades" type of character (as I saw on the Jin Beginner Guide thread)

If any of these matches your personality or your type of character, then pick :JI:

=====

I dunno, but I feel compelled to add something for Noel.

If you:

[*]like color blue, or the combination of Blue and Yellow

[*]like gunslinger type of characters

[*]like character with nice combos

[*]like characters wearing backless clothes (LOL)

[*]like cute characters

[*]like... Megaman or other shooting types of games

If any of these matches your personality or your type of character, then pick Noel.

=====

Anyway, just got here on dustloop, been playing BlazBlue Calamity Trigger for the PSP for almost a week now, and still practicing some more Jin Combos. XD

Edited by RozeAngelix

I need some help choosing a main. I've four characters I enjoy playing as and want to eventually learn how to use them all, however I'm having trouble deciding who to learn to play first. I can't decide between :CA:Carl,:TS:Tsubaki, :LA:Lambda, and :MU:Mu. I like playing Carl because I like playing two characters and don't mind the low health. I like Lambda's zoning play style. I find Tsubaki's combos easiest to learn. As for Mu, I like having the options to ether rush in or run and spam steins.

Any suggestions who I should learn first?

Don't learn Tsubaki until after CS2, her world will be changing then anyway. :P

From what I've read and the gameplay videos that I've seen, I wanna main Taokaka. I like her agility and combo-style, and apparently she's somewhat tricky execution-wise, which appeals to me :P.

Hey, I'm starting to get into Blazblue a little more seriously and was looking for some help. Sorry, I didn't read through every "If you like" post, 26 pages seemed like a lot. ._.

Anyway, I come from SSF4 (Don't burn me O_O) and I have most fun with El Fuerte and T.Hawk

I love Fuerte's Oki a lot and I love how fast he is, I like T.Hawks lack of execution needed for playing him decently, honestly my execution is pretty much trash and I'm not really sure how to make it better (Other than hours of practice I guess).

When I was playing around with the game, I kinda liked Tsubaki mostly based on her look, but apparently she's being changed. *Looks up*

Sorry for rambling.

I like T.Hawks lack of execution needed for playing him decently, honestly my execution is pretty much trash and I'm not really sure how to make it better (Other than hours of practice I guess).

Ragna is pretty much the simplest character, you'll probably be pretty well off starting with him. It is very nice that CS has the "challenges" which pretty much teach you combos, so just choose one of the characters that's not disgustingly complicated and play through their story/arcade and do challenges.

So, I'm sure this may be a shocking "first time asked" for this thread (sarcasm), but I'm a PS3 player, and I don't have access to the JPN version, so I'm stuck with CS1 until CS2's patch is released. The characters I played in CS1 are (in order of familiarity): Litchi, Carl, Makoto, Valk, Hak. So, here's the question:

What character has the LEAST amount of changes, going from CS1 to CS2?

The goal here is to practice with a character in CS1 because they are pretty much unchanged in CS2 (tiers, viability, and learning curve don't matter to me). I'd like to brush up on my BB at the locals around here, but from the sounds of it a lot of my BnBs have DRASTICALLY changed. I don't want to be playing like a CS1 Litchi and trying to do Straights out of her 6Cs and 2Cs. So, I want to practice with ANY character on my CS1 and then move into CS2 while having my CS1 habits be good habits in CS2 as well. Thanks in advance for suggestions and responses guys :).

EDIT: Patch is out apparently... irdumb.

Edited by Mr_Re

^^^Don't be foolish, even if your character stays exactly the same you still have to adapt to the changes made in other characters.

In short play who you want and don't worry about being out of date when CS2 comes. The average US BB PS3 player is going to be in your same shoes.

^^^Don't be foolish, even if your character stays exactly the same you still have to adapt to the changes made in other characters.

In short play who you want and don't worry about being out of date when CS2 comes. The average US BB PS3 player is going to be in your same shoes.

You must've overlooked my post entirely. I'm asking for the character that has the least amount of changes. I don't see how this is foolish since I have had zero opportunity to touch CS2. This is all moot, since the patch just came out for PS3, apparently. :P

Well im a SF4 player, so im new to this game. Im not a tier whore and i do honor certain systems. but it seems that every Char that intrigues me (not going off of style or play just the story and character) it seems that the ones ive chosen seem to be basic of basic or high tier. When i first Picked up the game i noticed Bang. I was like sweet a ninja man with a big ass nail on his back. So i did home work Read up on him. I liked his character/personality i guess. Then when i dug further I find out hes top tier and most ppl choose him because of his simplicity or what not. i also seen tokido use him in a tourney a few times. So im curious. Should i feel bad for playing a character thats lokked down apon that i like. or should i say fuck it, fuck you, you , you, you and pick who i want? thanks in advance..

OK, so Ive got it down to basically 4 or 5 chars, but obviously thats still a pretty sizable list.

Im coming over from SF4 and am a bit daunted by the execution and weirdness on some of the cooler characters, but thats also some of whats attracted me to the game.

Arakune is real cool, but I think Ive pretty much ruled him out on account of his weird playstyle and high execution barrier. Carl is in a similar boat, but Ive had more success with him, so hes still in the running.

Tsubaki and Valkenhayn have very easy combos and seem pretty straightforward. Although as tsubaki I cant do enough damage, and as valk I cant open people up and I get counterhit all the time.

Taokaka seems like a nice middle ground, but I havent been able to get my j.8D~A loop down. is she viable with some more basic combos with less damage output? (I do like 2k-2.3k)

If you are doing bad damage with Tsubaki, you need to:

A) Charge a little bit more. Being able to spend even 1 charge in a combo can lead to greatly increased damage.

B) Work on your execution. Tsubaki's 'basic' combos are okay, but don't hit especially hard. There are several more advanced versions of various combos that can add fairly significant amounts of damage.

lets say I have one charge with tsubaki and I land a standing B. Where should I be spending that charge in the following combo? Ive seen people extend combos with the air projectile that I believe is QCB+D. is that how you beef up the damage so much?

Tao is a solid choice for anyone that loves giving the opponent some Hax Airtime. If you can knack Air combos, Learn the TL, And do a little bit of trolling. Tao is solid.

Tao is a solid choice for anyone that loves giving the opponent some Hax Airtime. If you can knack Air combos, Learn the TL, And do a little bit of trolling. Tao is solid.

the TL? I do love me some trolling. what is this TL?

lets say I have one charge with tsubaki and I land a standing B. Where should I be spending that charge in the following combo? Ive seen people extend combos with the air projectile that I believe is QCB+D. is that how you beef up the damage so much?

Well, the super basic 1-charge standing B combo is:

5BB > 5CC > 22C > 236D > 5B > 2CC > 236B > 214B > 22B. This carries almost from one corner to the other, and does significantly more damage than the very basic 0-charge 5BB > 2BB > 5CC > 236A > 214A > 22A combo.

More advanced 1 charge stuff from 5b gives the option of:

5B > 5C > 2C > 214D > 2CC > Instant Air dash > j.CC > 5B > 2CC > 236B > 214B > 22B (I think this only works on crouching characters)

And there are more complicated things involving 5BB > 5CC > 623C > j.214A (whiff) stuff that take a lot of execution to pull off.

Also, on a Tao note, I thought the Taunt Loop had gone out of style with CS2.