shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Oh wow, no posts here in months? Huh. If I'm somehow posting in the wrong topic or something, sorry about that.

Well, with the whole CP thing, I'm trying to get back into BB, but having trouble...

I know what character I like to play, I think(More of the poking type. For an example, I play Raphael in SC5, but that's a whole different type of fighting game, really. Just trying to sorta show what I'm trying to find, I guess?), but when I try, say...Lambda, I'm getting destroyed. Maybe it's just the combination of Hell AI, rustiness and bad matchups(I always seem to get Taokaka. :B ), but I'm just getting demolished. I can do some of her more bnb ish stuff...sometimes. I'm really bad at TKing so far, it seems. and IADing. I suspect this is as much a controller thing(360 controller. :B )thing as me just sucking.

Anyways...rambling aside(I tend to do that all the time when I don't sleep. >.>; ), are there any characters who have this more sort of playstyle? I remember trying out everyone but like, Litchi and Arakune last I played, but that was many months ago(Well, looking by my last post in this topic, about 9 months ago. lol. I'd like to think I've more decisively figured out what I'm trying to go for in playstyle now, at least), and my brain is horribly rusty. xP

Again, I apologize for the rambling. xP

Oh wow, no posts here in months? Huh. If I'm somehow posting in the wrong topic or something, sorry about that.

Well, with the whole CP thing, I'm trying to get back into BB, but having trouble...

I know what character I like to play, I think(More of the poking type. For an example, I play Raphael in SC5, but that's a whole different type of fighting game, really. Just trying to sorta show what I'm trying to find, I guess?), but when I try, say...Lambda, I'm getting destroyed. Maybe it's just the combination of Hell AI, rustiness and bad matchups(I always seem to get Taokaka. :B ), but I'm just getting demolished. I can do some of her more bnb ish stuff...sometimes. I'm really bad at TKing so far, it seems. and IADing. I suspect this is as much a controller thing(360 controller. :B )thing as me just sucking.

Again, I apologize for the rambling. xP

In my opinion the most analogous character to that style of fighting is Litchi, but if you have trouble with that you can kinda sorta do stuff like that with guys like Ragna. Or at least that's how I feel.

I don't think zoning the way lambda does it is quite the same as the poking you're talking about. At least for me it feels more like characters with good normals. On the otherhand if the only problem is that you are losing, then practice will help way more than changing characters, usually.

In my opinion the most analogous character to that style of fighting is Litchi, but if you have trouble with that you can kinda sorta do stuff like that with guys like Ragna. Or at least that's how I feel.

I don't think zoning the way lambda does it is quite the same as the poking you're talking about. At least for me it feels more like characters with good normals. On the otherhand if the only problem is that you are losing, then practice will help way more than changing characters, usually.

I tried out Litchi a little last night, actually(Basically just doing combos I found on the Dustloop wiki...well, trying at least, lol), but she's a little tricky to wrap my head around so far(Being one of the two characters I've never explore in the past, her staff shenanigans are odd.). Still, I'll definitely give her a try and see how it turns out. :3

And yeah, I know practice will help way more then changing characters, but I sorta figured Lambda wasn't the same kind of poking I meant. It'd hard to sorta describe, but it didn't quite feel right, which I think helped contribute to my losses just as much as my lack of skill. :P

What about Hakumen. Man I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

I've tried Hakumen a bit now and then, but he has a weird flow in terms of combos and stuff, it seems. He does seem to have really strong pokes in the form of 4C and J.C, though. Really, that weird flow compared to the rest of the cast was what put me off him initially, really.

I've tried Hakumen a bit now and then, but he has a weird flow in terms of combos and stuff, it seems. He does seem to have really strong pokes in the form of 4C and J.C, though. Really, that weird flow compared to the rest of the cast was what put me off him initially, really.
I think if you get used to using litchi's tools you'll find they are what you're looking for.

If he's having execution issues, I don't think switching to Litchi would help matters. Really if you're just starting out, you need a character you can use at a basic level from the beginning.

Based on your experience with Raphael, Taokaka is the first character that popped into my mind. Have you thought about trying Tao, or maybe Mu? I feel like what you're looking for is a character that proactively punishes people for making mistakes in neutral, and they both do a very good job of that.

If he's having execution issues, I don't think switching to Litchi would help matters. Really if you're just starting out, you need a character you can use at a basic level from the beginning.

Based on your experience with Raphael, Taokaka is the first character that popped into my mind. Have you thought about trying Tao, or maybe Mu? I feel like what you're looking for is a character that proactively punishes people for making mistakes in neutral, and they both do a very good job of that.

Well, I'm not quite starting out(I have like 180 hours in CS2, lulz. But I haven't actually done anything more then "Derp around in training mode for maybe 5 minutes" in ages.), but some stuff like IADs and TKing give me trouble at times due to my controller, yeah. xd

I've never hugely thought of trying Tao, really. Along with Arakune and Litchi, they're the three character's I've never really seriously tried out. My extent of knowledge on how Tao works is "Kawaii derpy catgirl who jumps all over the place" , pretty much.

As for Mu..I really like the idea of using Steins to lock down the opponent, putting on the pressure(I'd like to say getting them to panic a bit and take advantage of that, but that's a bit of a strong word.) to increase the chances of them making a mistake I can punish them for. I'm not really sure on how to take advantage of the Steins though, and with the advent of CP, it seems all the CSEX topics are getting moved to the archives(Can you even still post in archive topics, or will that get me in trouble? xP ), so I'm not sure where to ask about that sort of stuff anymore.

I've never hugely thought of trying Tao, really. Along with Arakune and Litchi, they're the three character's I've never really seriously tried out. My extent of knowledge on how Tao works is "Kawaii derpy catgirl who jumps all over the place" , pretty much.

Yeah, Tao looks like a rushdown character, but she's really not. Playing Tao is really all about spacing, using your mobility to get into the proper range, and dominating them with superior pokes. She has okay pressure, but you need to know when to go in, because if you get caught, it can be difficult to get back to the range you want to be. She's probably the simplest introduction to a slightly offensive spacing-oriented style.

As for Mu..I really like the idea of using Steins to lock down the opponent, putting on the pressure(I'd like to say getting them to panic a bit and take advantage of that, but that's a bit of a strong word.) to increase the chances of them making a mistake I can punish them for. I'm not really sure on how to take advantage of the Steins though, and with the advent of CP, it seems all the CSEX topics are getting moved to the archives(Can you even still post in archive topics, or will that get me in trouble? xP ), so I'm not sure where to ask about that sort of stuff anymore.

You can ask in the CP General thread, the [CP] is just like a timestamping, but it's still General Discussion for any version. The guys in the Mu forum love new blood, so I'm sure they'll help you.

Yeah, Tao looks like a rushdown character, but she's really not. Playing Tao is really all about spacing, using your mobility to get into the proper range, and dominating them with superior pokes. She has okay pressure, but you need to know when to go in, because if you get caught, it can be difficult to get back to the range you want to be. She's probably the simplest introduction to a slightly offensive spacing-oriented style.

You can ask in the CP General thread, the [CP] is just like a timestamping, but it's still General Discussion for any version. The guys in the Mu forum love new blood, so I'm sure they'll help you.

Oh, I can? Alright then. x3

Also, Tao sounds pretty interesting now...maybe I'll look into her, too.

Tao is a very fun character tbh. I never had the patience to stick with her but she never was boring to work on

Hello Peoples,

So about a month ago I bought BB:CS EX for the vita. Mostly I did so because I curious about the 30+ hours of story in a fighting game. However after completing that I realized that I also just really liked playing the game and wanted to try getting good at it.

I’m not new to fighters, but I’ve never been able to quite “get” most 2d fighting games (SF, KoF, ect…) At best I’m competent, I only barely know what zoning is. So as someone trying to make the transfer from 3d fighters to 2d ones, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on who would be best to start with. I’ve played with about everyone at least once, so right now I was looking at Noel, Tager, Toakaka, and/or Arakune. I was also really interested in papa Clover because he carries himself like a psycho badass.

I’m open to any suggestions.

@StillJustKow I would stay away from arakune and tao since you're new and they're not the easiest characters, and pick noel to get used to the mechanics of a 2d fg faster.

Hey there! I thought I'd ask for help in picking a main too. I've been playing BlazBlue since CT came out, but haven't ever been able to settle with just one character. I have no idea why it has been so tough to pick a main in this game, but it's really gotten to the point where it's rather ridiculous how I keep flip-flopping around half the cast. Just for Extend, I started out with Hazama out of character love, but his movement style was something I never could get used to; don't get me wrong, chains are great and all, absolutely amazing, but I just feel uncomfortable with his regular dashes and the short range on quite a few of his normals.

I moved on to Rachel and grinded her lvl.2 j.2C for over a month until I could do it consistently, then decided I didn't like wind management after all; I picked up Litchi next, and she's been the one I've spent the most time on up until now, but I still can't make up my mind. It's been over a year and I want to, you know, actually get out of the lab and stop practicing combos and setups and gimmicks with half the cast and actually play the game, but just can't find a character that clicks. I want someone with decent mobility (not necessarily super fast, just not sluggish) and good pokes, someone I can biide my time and pressure the opponent with until they make a mistake and I can rush in. I thought I'd ask for suggestions; CP is looming on the horizon and I spent this entire iteration of the game trying things out in training mode, and would rather not have that happen again. Any help is most welcome!

Edited by Dreizehn
Spelling

Hey there! I thought I'd ask for help in picking a main too. I've been playing BlazBlue since CT came out, but haven't ever been able to settle with just one character. I have no idea why it has been so tough to pick a main in this game, but it's really gotten to the point where it's rather ridiculous how I keep flip-flopping around half the cast. Just for Extend, I started out with Hazama out of character love, but his movement style was something I never could get used to; don't get me wrong, chains are great and all, absolutely amazing, but I just feel uncomfortable with his regular dashes and the short range on quite a few of his normals.

I moved on to Rachel and grinded her lvl.2 j.2C for over a month until I could do it consistently, then decided I didn't like wind management after all; I picked up Litchi next, and she's been the one I've spent the most time on up until now, but I still can't make up my mind. It's been over a year and I want to, you know, actually get out of the lab and stop practicing combos and setups and gimmicks with half the cast and actually play the game, but just can't find a character that clicks. I want someone with decent mobility (not necessarily super fast, just not sluggish) and good pokes, someone I can biide my time and pressure the opponent with until they make a mistake and I can rush in. I thought I'd ask for suggestions; CP is looming on the horizon and I spent this entire iteration of the game trying things out in training mode, and would rather not have that happen again. Any help is most welcome!

It sounds like you're trying to pick some of the most technical characters and it's ruining your enjoyment of the game. I could be wrong, and it's understandable to pick characters that "speak to you", but if you're so worried about execution and memorizing setups that you can't actually play against other people, that's a problem. I would actually suggest Tsubaki as a beginner-friendly alternative to Ragna, and once you have some real games under your belt, you can think about revisiting Hazama/Rachel/etc. (because those characters sound like exactly what you're looking for, long-term).

Sounds like you should have stuck with rachel tbh. She has pretty much all the points you explained: speed (with wind), decent pokes/ zoning game which can be difficult for your foe to deal with: time gained from zoning allows pumpkin/frog to get into a better position to pressure all while gaining wind, and once you get in, very safe, long pressure strings with instant overheads and strong lows. Wind may be a bit of a struggle to get used to, but the return result is something that truly makes her terrifying to fight against.

I thinks she is a great challenge if that's what you're looking for. Besides learning her, the flaws tend to be a lack of defense and a disadvantage at the start of the round, and constantly having to be aware of everything in play. Overcoming these flaws are just as difficult but make you a better player in any fighting game.

Returning back to the game after a good break I learned that my performance has went down quite a few notches, I don't even break even with the competition anymore. Don't get me wrong that I was efficient with both Ragna and Hazama but stopped playing religiously right after Christmas due to other things I wanted to cover in my excess time. Knowing that I'm playing like a newb right now I figure this would be the best time to look into another character before I become too familiar with my prior two characters. I like rush down capabilities with all of my tools available, I prefer that my combat could vary with style and different hit confirms to my leisure without the annoyance of staying committed to one approach.

You're welcome to tell me if this is a bad thought on learning additional characters but I feel like learning either Tsubaki or Noel at this point. They're both quick with combat you can adjust to your likings and they both seem very formidable in combat if you happen to learn them quite well. What I don't like about Noel is that her drive is pretty unsafe and it leaves her vulnerable in quite a few situations, I'm really hoping that is not denial while Tsubaki may also be a great choice her stocks hinders her performance to a slight degree. I had more to write but this is all being written at 02:15 in the morning and thank you for hearing me out. (Noel looks amazing CP)

ps- Add another choice of characters if one of these two are not suitable to my first two.

edit- I have experience in MB as a Arc and Aoko player if that gives anyone ideas between the two or others.

Edited by Sadeyo

I could seriously use some counseling on the matter of picking Ragna.

Half of the reason I don't like picking Ragna is because a lot of players tend to use his "overpowered" status as a means to bash the player as a whole - i.e. "You can't win unless you use broken-tier Ragna", or "Yeah, you're just a tier-whoring fag", or "Those who play Ragna never play BlazBlue seriously".

I realize I'm not supposed to give into these kind of assholes, but driving people away because of something that's considered "overpowered" and "broken" is what scares me in trying out Ragna. Ragna seems to have the very things I need to properly learn FGs - and he's offense oriented as well. But just the idea of getting picked on for playing a "Typical Overpowered Shotofag" makes me afraid to play Ragna as a whole.

I want to main Ragna, but in the rare case of those whiny losers, is there anyone who plays somewhat like Ragna that I could main as a means to shut said idiots up? At least this way I can get both my main and sub out of the way as far as choosing.

Nope, no matter who you will pick they will just decide something about him is OP and why they lost. Otherwise they would have to admit it's their fault. And we can't have that.

He's going to be worse in CP anyway. Ragna is like the least "overpowered" character to worry about out of all the other S tiers.

I don't think I've ever considered Ragna overpowered or particularly intimidating. Sure he's a solid character in the hands of a good player but I can think of plenty of other characters I wouldn't want to fight besides Ragna.

The reason I don't like playing Ragna is he doesn't have a Drive. He just has a D button that also does attacks like all his other buttons, and they just happen to steal life. I prefer characters that have a definite technique to their Drive.

Edited by Ctrlaltwtf

Nope, no matter who you will pick they will just decide something about him is OP and why they lost. Otherwise they would have to admit it's their fault. And we can't have that.

He's going to be worse in CP anyway. Ragna is like the least "overpowered" character to worry about out of all the other S tiers.

That's kinda what I don't get - what's with people saying that only "scrub casuals who don't play seriously" play Ragna? Isn't that logic kinda, well, flawed?