shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

I want to get into to guilty gear so that I can be ready when Xrd comes out and have no clue who to use. In blazblue I main Platinum and sub Mu and Rachel, and in P4A I main teddie and sub naoto and yukkio. I really like to use rushdown and zoner characters and I don't like one more than the other , I also prefer a fast character but it's alright if their not one of the slower characters in the game. Thanks in advance!

I suggest you also have a look at Testament. He ain't the fastest character in the game though. From the list of characters you provide, he seems like a logical choice according to me. It seems like you like "traps" (Platinum, Rachel, Naoto). (Damn that sounded awful ..). His nets and trees are a bit like Naoto's traps. He can be played with a zoning game and switches to rushdown / mixups when he gets a knockdown where you force the opponent to block using EXE beast.

It's not sure yet if Testament will actually be in Xrd, but I hope he is (he has been in every GG game, so I can't imagine him not being in this one).

Hey ughh I've been maining izayoi for a while and really enjoy her but I'm looking for a second character. I am looking for a character who gets all up in the opponent's *** lol. I really don't wanna play Ragna lol so any suggestions will be nice.

Hey ughh I've been maining izayoi for a while and really enjoy her but I'm looking for a second character. I am looking for a character who gets all up in the opponent's *** lol. I really don't wanna play Ragna lol so any suggestions will be nice.

Taokaka, Bang, Jin, Noel, Terumi, Kokonoe etc.

There's alot of rushdown type characters in BB. Best way to find a second character is to try the characters you like(character-wise and/or play style)in training-mode, and if they interest you, you play them in some matches to get a "feel" for the character.

So rushdown (or something similar)? Off the top of my head, Tao, Noel, Azrael, Tsubaki, Makoto, Valk, all need to get in people's faces to kill them.

K down to tsubaki Noel or Tao i like them all but can't decide.

I was in the neighbourhood and while I'm here I can cover for Tsubaki.

Pros:

-Easy to use.

-9f Command grab

-Charge cancels provide flexibility in pressure

-High damage mugen combos when used right

-Longest Overdrive in game (when at less than 10% health)

-Fireballs and blade super provides good neutral control/oki.

-Her DPs can be made 'safe' provided you have at least one charge

-Best character forum on DL.

Cons:

-Pressure has a lot of holes making it easy for players to disrespect her (poking out)

-Damage is kinda lacking outside of very specific starters, charge and CHs.

-Reliant on charge to help with overall gameplay.

-Can be difficult to win with as she has a lot of difficult matchups.

-Outside of 5B her normals are kinda lacking (either ocassionally whiffing or have low priority)

-Even though her C DP is better, it still kinda has low priority so it can still lose or trade with other things. Still has a deadzone.

Edited by Kiba

Here's a list of pros and cons for Noel

Pros:

High Damage Output

Drive provides great flexible pressure filled with frame traps

Decent reversals (4D and Zero Gun: Fenrir)

Small hurtbox

Long range options (Optic Barrel)

A great forum

Cons:

Mix ups without Drive are rather lackluster

Reversal is slightly situational, and can be beaten by lows

Very dependent on fundamentals for Neutral and Defensive games

Probably receives the most hate from players out of the whole BlazBlue cast because of her drive.

-Best character forum on DL.

Definitively not something to ignore, as a Tsubaki main I am always surprised when I want to check out another char by how little and badly updated the info for most of them are in comparison.

Hi guys I am new to the forum (first post haha). I recently imported bbcp and I am having a tough time deciding on a main character between Bang, Hakumen, and Azrael. Any insight?

Hey, I need help for BlazBlue CP, I started playing in CSE (Mained Hazama), and with the CP thing I don't like the CP Hazama at all, so I decided to change my main. In that moment, I realized that none character in the rooster could take my attention enough for saying "Ok, I'll be going for this character". I like many characters such as Amane (Specially), Bullet, Jin, Platinum, Makoto and Terumi. The one I like most really is Kokonoe but I think she has some things that are too broken and I don't like that.

The things I like in a character are the following ones:

-Having poor/decent damage BnBs, but having great damage from certain confirms/expending resources

-A reversal

-I'm not a fan of extended pressures (Me doing them, I mean), but I like a lot to play with many options to catch rolls or make wakeup traps/mixups

-I like combos, not a fan of depending on resets

-I think I need a good meter gain for having resources

-I'm ok dealing with low hp

The things I don't like are:

-Having very variable combos, but I can suit some variableness such as Plat's combos modifications depending on the weapon, but I really hate ver space dependant combos

-I have problems with pressuring because people get away easy, but I'm very good turtling

-I like to have some mobility, but I don't like to have some strong execution neutral mobility (such as Valk's)

With that, I hope someone can suggest me a character or two, since I'm getting the next week an Arcade Stick finally and I really want to take a character to learn him from 0 with the stick. Thank you~

Ragna and Azrael both sound like they could be what you're looking for. Good reversals, easy combos, decent pressure without resorting to extended blockstrings. Azrael in particular does have different combos depending on weak points, but there aren't very many routes to learn.

Would Izayoi make a decent sub?

Not sure if this is the place to ask being a "main" thread and all, but its the best place I found.

The reason I ask is because I like the Duodecim characters and I wanted some subs under kagura. I sub Jin but was wondering if Izayoi is worth using as a sub as well. I dont want to spend too much time learning/playing her (I main Kagura.)

But I dont know what her learning curve is like. Or shoould I just stick with Jin and keep things simple?

I dunno. She's not the most complicated character if you're already familiar with BB, but she takes a lot of work to become good with. If you just want a sub that you can pick up and play to relax, Izayoi is definitely not it. She's fun, though, and she's definitely a breath of fresh air if you're looking for something a little different.

Hey, I need help for BlazBlue CP, I started playing in CSE (Mained Hazama), and with the CP thing I don't like the CP Hazama at all, so I decided to change my main. In that moment, I realized that none character in the rooster could take my attention enough for saying "Ok, I'll be going for this character". I like many characters such as Amane (Specially), Bullet, Jin, Platinum, Makoto and Terumi. The one I like most really is Kokonoe but I think she has some things that are too broken and I don't like that.

The things I like in a character are the following ones:

-Having poor/decent damage BnBs, but having great damage from certain confirms/expending resources

-A reversal

-I'm not a fan of extended pressures (Me doing them, I mean), but I like a lot to play with many options to catch rolls or make wakeup traps/mixups

-I like combos, not a fan of depending on resets

-I think I need a good meter gain for having resources

-I'm ok dealing with low hp

The things I don't like are:

-Having very variable combos, but I can suit some variableness such as Plat's combos modifications depending on the weapon, but I really hate ver space dependant combos

-I have problems with pressuring because people get away easy, but I'm very good turtling

-I like to have some mobility, but I don't like to have some strong execution neutral mobility (such as Valk's)

With that, I hope someone can suggest me a character or two, since I'm getting the next week an Arcade Stick finally and I really want to take a character to learn him from 0 with the stick. Thank you~

If you like Kokonoe just use her. Yes she's stupidly good but I don't see what's wrong with that since you mained Hazama a game ago and he was stupid good too. But you said you're not a fan of resets or not having a meterless reversal so I dunno. I think Ragna or Terumi might be for you but Terumi lacks a meterless reversal. Then again getting meter isn't exactly an issue for him.

Thanks for the input. When I see Izayoi Im just like "Wow, she looks so fun, I gotta use her." But I completely disregard that she's not Ragna. I just wasnt sure how hard she would be. Im willing to put in the time to learn her if I truly enjoy playing her.

If you like Kokonoe just use her. Yes she's stupidly good but I don't see what's wrong with that since you mained Hazama a game ago and he was stupid good too. But you said you're not a fan of resets or not having a meterless reversal so I dunno. I think Ragna or Terumi might be for you but Terumi lacks a meterless reversal. Then again getting meter isn't exactly an issue for him.

Thank you very much for your opinion. I'm now using Kagura since I suddenly tryed him out and with the stick feels extremely comfortable for me. The charge/stance system is sure fascinanting and I'm atm having so much fun with the character learning the first BnBs and things.

Speaking about Kokonoe, I dunno in USA, but here in Spain she's banned from tournaments, so I need to have another char if I want to go any tournament ^^U Of course I'll use Koko, but I want to cover with another character

Contemplating trading in Tsubaki as my main for Mu 12. I love the concept of her play style, and I find her combos quite easy to pull off. Can anyone recommend, or should I just sub her?

I'd like to know her advantages and disadvantages, what exactly I'm giving up. Tsubaki's flexible pressure, or Mu 12s godly damage and laser fortress?

Tsubaki can stick to the opponent like glue once she's in, due to her flexibility. I could be wrong in saying this, but Mu doesn't have many normals to fall on for mixup, and once you get into her C normals you've pretty much lost your mixup, since they put you out of range.

You've gotta be good in switching between stein placement and when to go on the offensive with her. Good stein placement means better field control, which means players will generally find it more difficult to get in.

I won't recommend on whether you should sub or main her as it depends on how far you're willing to go with her and stuff. I'd say give yourself more time with Mu before making such a decision.

Edited by Kiba

So I don't have BBCP but I do have BBCSE. I play Yukiko in P4A. For the following characters: Tsubaki, Hakumen and Nu-13.

- How easy is it to transition from CSE to CP with these characters? Can their combos work well in CP or do I have to completely relearn combo routes for these characters?

- Are these characters good at teaching you the mechanics of BB? I play P4A but even trying out Training Mode for these characters the game feels very new and awkward to me.

- How difficult are these characters? I seem to like Nu-13 the most in CSE but she seems to be very execution heavy in CP and I'm not a huge fan when it comes to mode change characters.

Don't ever try to makes different games to be footstep of the games u want to play ... about difficulties i think it's relative, i don't play Nu / Tsubaki... so ididn't know and about Hakumen, i got 2 other friend who also main him... i don't think they got any trouble to transitition from ex to cp, one of them didn't even have the console to practice and already can nail down his BnB in day2, so yeah... if u play those character... i think you'll be fine.