shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

That can't be right. The only thing valk mains can give other people is pain.

Shhhh. We are trying to recruit a future Valk bro here. Please do not interfere unless you're asking for some epic wolf corner rape.

I need help and it's a bit of a weird one for this thread. Basically, I need recommendations on how to unlearn my mains from BB and P4A. I spent my BB history sticking exclusively to Haku-men (CT-CSE) and only officially retired him some months ago. In P4A, I exclusively used Elizabeth. And as much fun as I've had with them, I'm afraid they've taught me extremely bad (read: scrubtacular and lazy) habits. To the point I am almost virtually unable to adapt to other characters and their execution barrier.

Now, BBCP granted me Terumi which I recently got to try and I really liked using him. He's flashy, damaging but most of all, simple. Absolutely perfect for someone like me who can't normally string 4 moves together against an opponent. However, I am finding my Haku-men habits keep showing up (like say, throwing out random 6Cs as Terumi) so I'd like to know how I can get rid of them. And since I am trying to make sure I don't get tied to just him exclusively, which of these characters (Kagura, Bullet, Azrael and Mu-12) would you recommend to someone like me for sub-status.

P4A is a whole other set of problems though. Aside from my own personal inability, I also don't care for much of the cast enough to want to play them. I've been able to narrow it down to Yukari, Chie, Mitsuru and Akihiko but have honestly no idea which one would be a better fit for me when P4U2 hits. As with Haku-men, I keep finding my habits with Lizzie keep showing up and I can't shake them off. That and I'd rather become a better player before I decide to play Lizzie once again since she is a lot worse off in P4U2.

Thank you in advance.

I need help and it's a bit of a weird one for this thread. Basically, I need recommendations on how to unlearn my mains from BB and P4A. I spent my BB history sticking exclusively to Haku-men (CT-CSE) and only officially retired him some months ago. In P4A, I exclusively used Elizabeth. And as much fun as I've had with them, I'm afraid they've taught me extremely bad (read: scrubtacular and lazy) habits. To the point I am almost virtually unable to adapt to other characters and their execution barrier.

Now, BBCP granted me Terumi which I recently got to try and I really liked using him. He's flashy, damaging but most of all, simple. Absolutely perfect for someone like me who can't normally string 4 moves together against an opponent. However, I am finding my Haku-men habits keep showing up (like say, throwing out random 6Cs as Terumi) so I'd like to know how I can get rid of them. And since I am trying to make sure I don't get tied to just him exclusively, which of these characters (Kagura, Bullet, Azrael and Mu-12) would you recommend to someone like me for sub-status.

P4A is a whole other set of problems though. Aside from my own personal inability, I also don't care for much of the cast enough to want to play them. I've been able to narrow it down to Yukari, Chie, Mitsuru and Akihiko but have honestly no idea which one would be a better fit for me when P4U2 hits. As with Haku-men, I keep finding my habits with Lizzie keep showing up and I can't shake them off. That and I'd rather become a better player before I decide to play Lizzie once again since she is a lot worse off in P4U2.

Thank you in advance.

just keep playing and hit the lab. Experience is the best teacher. Eventually you will break your old habits as long as you stick with your new characters.

I ended up picking Akihiko as my sub character in P4U. I think he's similar to Elizabeth in the sense that they're really momentum heavy characters (this is more so true of Elizabeth than Akihiko, at least to me), so it's not much of a change to switch between them. Similar to Liz, Aki spends a lot of time blocking, picking spots, etc. But just like Elizabeth, he can body people cleanly on offense (easier than Elizabeth since he has actual mixup, and his own set of gimmicks). They're almost like two sides of the same coin.

However, I am finding my Haku-men habits keep showing up (like say, throwing out random 6Cs as Terumi) so I'd like to know how I can get rid of them.

I'm not sure who to recommend, but I can offer a bit of advice on this point; like Yasha said, it's just a matter of keeping at it. Stick with a different character, or random if you can't settle on one, but don't use Hakumen again until you break the habit. The same thing happened to me after I used Azrael for a while; no matter who I picked up, I ended up trying to backdash out of everything my opponents did, because I'd become too reliant on Az's invincible-for-days backdash. It's definitely tough, especially at first, but it'll get better.

I ended up picking Akihiko as my sub character in P4U. I think he's similar to Elizabeth in the sense that they're really momentum heavy characters (this is more so true of Elizabeth than Akihiko, at least to me), so it's not much of a change to switch between them. Similar to Liz, Aki spends a lot of time blocking, picking spots, etc. But just like Elizabeth, he can body people cleanly on offense (easier than Elizabeth since he has actual mixup, and his own set of gimmicks). They're almost like two sides of the same coin.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to put it. But I suppose I can give it a try until P4U2 hits anyway. Most of my problems with Akihiko (like being unable to keep up Lv.3 Cyclone Fist and going into random Corckscrews) can probably be fixed with enough practice. And speaking of practice, Akihiko in P4A is pretty damn close to his P4U2 version so there's the added benefit of my practice not going to waste for the sequel.

I'm not sure who to recommend, but I can offer a bit of advice on this point; like Yasha said, it's just a matter of keeping at it. Stick with a different character, or random if you can't settle on one, but don't use Hakumen again until you break the habit. The same thing happened to me after I used Azrael for a while; no matter who I picked up, I ended up trying to backdash out of everything my opponents did, because I'd become too reliant on Az's invincible-for-days backdash. It's definitely tough, especially at first, but it'll get better.

I hope so. I seem to have bad luck when it comes to breaking habits and I got 5 years my Haku-men scrubbery to cleanse out. This'll be a long journey come March 25th.

Greetings everyone.

I am a new member here and I may need a little help.

I have been playing exclusively Jin since the days of CT (EU release CT, though) and when Extend came out, I decided to level up my game from "complete scrub" to "at least I know what I did wrong".

I really like to play as Jin, mainly because of his options and tools: I personally think of Jin as the most balanced character, as long as you can read well both your opponent and the situation, you can at least put up a good fight.

(Unless I am against Litchi... I could never manage to fight against that character decently. I just do not understand when she is unsafe, that is, if she ever is. I am not trying to rant or offend anyone, I just never really understood how to stop her from doing whatever she wants.)

The fact that he is also rather easy execution-wise is a big plus for me: BB is the first fighting game I am taking seriously, thus my execution is decent at best, and it was only through weeks of training that I could finally pick up my main's combos and execute them consistently.

Trying to learn the neutral game almost on my own was probably the most difficult part, but I digress.

That being said, I have tried the new CP Jin for a while now and I feel like all my previous work has been useless.

Maybe I am just really out of practice (Thanks to the University dumping loads of work on me) but I feel like a cripple trying to use the new Jin.

What should I make of it? I like to change my gameplan on a whim from offensive to defensive and from mid-range harassing to close range rushing, partly to surprise the other player partly because I just find it fun, and Jin seems to be just the right character for a balanced and versatile style.

But I just do not seem to get a grip on his CP version, he feels more limited to me.

If you have any advice to give, I will listen. Thank you in advance.

Edited by Nazad
goddamn keyboard

I like to change my gameplan on a whim from offensive to defensive and from mid-range harassing to close range rushing, partly to surprise the other player partly because I just find it fun...

Just gonna drop by and say one comment. When you describe a character like this, Hakumen pops into my mind. Not gonna say Hazama (execution is a little hard) or Taokaka (she's not exactly easy to learn). Since your a new member here, remember never to trust ANYTHING I say.

Hmm, that's an interesting way to put it. But I suppose I can give it a try until P4U2 hits anyway. Most of my problems with Akihiko (like being unable to keep up Lv.3 Cyclone Fist and going into random Corckscrews) can probably be fixed with enough practice. And speaking of practice, Akihiko in P4A is pretty damn close to his P4U2 version so there's the added benefit of my practice not going to waste for the sequel.

I sub Akihiko as well. I'm gonna support EVERYTHING Elochai just said.

Edited by Dazardz

First of all, thank you both for answering.

To Dastardz: I will try Hakumen too. After all, not limiting myself to only one character anymore will probably make the game more interesting.

I have to ask you something though: should I trust you when you say that I should not trust you? I am confused (Just joking)

To excelence: Ok, Jin's official gameplay discussion... 50+ pages by the look of it. No problem, let's dig in and then hit the lab!

Thank you both again, off to training mode I go.

@Nazad I'm by no means good at this game either, but i'll tell you that Jin is still extremely easy and after you acclimate to his new style you'll probably find him much more effective than he was in the last games. There's tons of stuff in the thread excelence linked that'll help with that.

Just gonna drop by and say one comment. When you describe a character like this, Hakumen pops into my mind. Not gonna say Hazama (execution is a little hard) or Taokaka (she's not exactly easy to learn). Since your a new member here, remember never to trust ANYTHING I say.

I sub Akihiko as well. I'm gonna support EVERYTHING Elochai just said.

Hazama's execution got a lot easier in BBCP, probably even more so in 1.1 because he's losing his j.C loop.

One question I have, is when you're learning a new character, do you still retain the knowledge of your old one?

Yup you can go on to learn as many characters as you want and as long as you play a match or two with your previous ones once a while, you never forget.

I have forgotten how to bike though so not exactly a good analogy :v

I wonder what Carl mains would have to say. That's an entire new way of looking at the game you'd have to keep in practice.

Carl knowledge really never leaves you though. Your execution goes out the window if you don't play too much, but you never forget the combos or neutral.

For Blazblue I am having difficult of choosing whether to play Noel or Mu 12 or when I eventually get CP to try out Kagura since he is one of the characters I liked the most of the newer character. As a reference for other games what I play in other games, I play Dizzy in Guilty gear and Labrys in Persona.

If you like Dizzy, I'd say go for Mu-12.  Labrys doesn't really remind me of Noel or Mu-12 (save for the fact that her normals are quite powerful if a bit slow like Mu-12's are), so in the end I'd say Mu-12 is your best choice.  I have a friend who plays Dizzy in GG and Mu-12 in BB, if that helps at all (although he hasn't picked up CP quite yet).  Not entirely sure about Kagura based off what you've said.

Thanks for the advice, Venussail91. I was just having trouble deciding and it does make sense to go with characters that have similar playing traits. Although I think I will also keep Noel as a sub while keeping Mu-12 as a main.

I looking forward to buying blazblue chrono once they release it in NA.

I been playing Injustice for almost a year(my first fighter).

I main Raven n Flash in injustice.

I like Raven because of her smart keep away game, I like to think a lot when am playing.

I really hate brain dead zoning, I like having different versions of the same projectile to cover different areas of the screen.

I like flash because he is my favorite super hero, he is a rush down character. Fast normals, great damage.

Let me know what characters you think could fit me.

*scratching head ... Didn't play Injustice, but i can think of few character that can effectively keep people at the other side of the screen like Mu, Lambda & Litchi. For rush down character i'll vote for Makoto & Terumi.

Alright guys, it's 24 hours to BBCP's US release, and I want you all to be honest with me.

Am I really, really, stupid for planning to main CP Tager?

I looking forward to buying blazblue chrono once they release it in NA.

I really hate brain dead zoning, I like having different versions of the same projectile to cover different areas of the screen.

I like flash because he is my favorite super hero, he is a rush down character. Fast normals, great damage.

Let me know what characters you think could fit me.

I dont play injustice but Im pretty sure no one in Blazblue has braindead zoning -- not anymore at least --

Kokonoe can zone with her gravitons and pull and push players in whatever direction she wants -- not to mention she is easily the strongest character in the game w/o too much effort (even after patch shes gonna be good)

Nu-13 is a zoning character is static ranged projectiles that have a good hitbox but can seem rigid if your not willing to dedicate truly alot of effort as she is quite difficult in this iteration. She lacks a DP and her normals are inferior compared to Mu-12's, but she does quite well at keeping players away if you take the time to learn how. Her beginner combos have you doing some ridiculous 22 motions seemingly many times and timing for adv tech can be very strict.

Mu-12 can be used as a zoner with her modular projectiles that can be placed and activated at whatever time you choose - shes easier to pick up at first but going beyond easy combos and learning setups, where her real power is, can be extremely complicated and time consuming. She has fantastic normals but they are a bit on the slower side and require a real firm grasp on neutral.

Hazama is like a quasi zoning-rush down character who can use his drive to cover entire screen lengths in moments and is quite beginner friendly - he has short range normals but it hardly matters as you can close to point blank almost immediately and do easy combos and pressure with good results 

There are many rush down characters in this game of varying approaches and skill requirements -- obviously Ragna and Jin would be easy to pick up to learn as a baseline if your interested in just getting your feet wet with the game. As you fight other players Im sure youll notice which characters move and play in ways that are enjoyable to you

Alright guys, it's 24 hours to BBCP's US release, and I want you all to be honest with me.

Am I really, really, stupid for planning to main CP Tager?

Tager is a real character now with real combos and insanely dangerous gimmicks should you take the effort to learn them -- i know ive eaten several gimmicks before that ending the match in a measly 10-20 seconds -- probably less...

Dont be fooled though -- your still playing tager but hes been buffed and has the opportunity to sledge ppl into ragequits just as well if not way better than before. There are so many tricks to learn and yea its true tager can be hard to play in upper levels but when you do - its always super worth it

here is a tournament played by a tager from my scene (ctrlaltwtf)

he plays at 
22min
51min
1hour and 5min
and 1hour and 21 min
he shows off quite terrible and rage worthy tricks and does very well