shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

I looking forward to buying blazblue chrono once they release it in NA.

I been playing Injustice for almost a year(my first fighter).

I main Raven n Flash in injustice.

I like Raven because of her smart keep away game, I like to think a lot when am playing.

I really hate brain dead zoning, I like having different versions of the same projectile to cover different areas of the screen.

I like flash because he is my favorite super hero, he is a rush down character. Fast normals, great damage.

Let me know what characters you think could fit me.

You might also consider Hazama, while he's not a zoner character, he is more like a "Tactical Rushdown".

He has unique movement options at his disposal that allow him to quickly get close to, or far away from the opponent, but he excels at fighting up-close. And by using his movement, you can open news ways of attacking and mixing up your opponent.

You might also consider Hazama, while he's not a zoner character, he is more like a "Tactical Rushdown".

He has unique movement options at his disposal that allow him to quickly get close to, or far away from the opponent, but he excels at fighting up-close. And by using his movement, you can open news ways of attacking and mixing up your opponent.

I read yours and some other suggestions, Looks like am going to roll with Hazama.

I really like his moveset-the grapples looks pretty sick.

I like his classy design.

I read yours and some other suggestions, Looks like am going to roll with Hazama.

I really like his moveset-the grapples looks pretty sick.

I like his classy design.

Nice. Who can resist the class that is Terumi?

He's really a good character, as any character can be.  Give him a try and see what you think, he might be your cup of tea or he might not be.

Don't let the tier-obsessed tell you who or what to play, tiers don't matter.

If he doesn't work for you, you could also try Yuuki Terumi, he's basically the same character except with a completely Rushdown playstyle, although I don't know the exact details of how he plays because I've never played him, I'm just going by what I've seen and read.

doing this just because. 

blazblue player. I like to fight with characters that use stances, as well as high power output, I don't mind if they're slow as longs as they're not Dreadfully slow. I also do best with characters that either have super armored attacks or ones with a lot of invincibility since I don't do well trying to zip around the field. I like to use counters as well since I enjoy disrupting my enemies "flow" of battle. I also Very enjoy using distortions and astrals when my opponent is attacking to catch them off guard as well as just using lots of meter as well. 

any ideas on who I'd do best with in your opinion(s)? 

My main used to be Jin but on the new game my main is probably gonna be Taokaka. It all depends on who you're good with(even though honestly I'm not very good at all, I suck), Also don't just play as one character every time, gotta switch things up a bit sometimes.

Hi there guys! Very new person here looking for advice on who I should main in BBCP.

A little background first off, I've played many fighting games in my time but I never took one seriously enough to actually try to attempt to learn it. I seldom played Lambda in EX and didn't really get far. I decided that BBCP was gonna be the first fighting game I really try to learn. I have the basics down for the most part but still have trouble with execution and other reactionary motions due to lack of experience. 

With that said, I started out with trying out some characters and loved Tsubaki's character as well as her moveset. As I started to learn some of her combos and other tricks, I liked what she had to offer. As I took it online, I lose almost ever single game I play. I feel like other characters are easily doing more damage than me without having to do much. I know a large portion of it is lack of matchup experience and me just not having the quick reaction time due to not playing much, but I still have instances where I know I should have won but still lose. 

I really don't have a character style I like because I've never dedicated myself enough to like a style. Should I try someone who's more balanced all around to get a feel for the game first, then dive into something more specific? Would Tsubaki fill that role or does someone else fill it easier? The only other characters I looked at a litle bit are Bullet, Izayoi, Nu and Mu.

Thanks guys for the input!

While she is a fairly well rounded character, I personally wouldn't recommend learning the game with Tsubaki. When you said it felt like every character was doing more damage than you, its because they were. She has what is probably the most situational damage output in the game and it is very hard to consistently do well with her. That being said, if she DOES get that situational damage, your opponent will just straight up die

Nu and Mu are both very solid characters with great space control. The difference between them is pretty drastic though. Mu is more adept at playing footsies as her neutral is very strong and her reward off of counterhits is extremely high. Nu is more of a traditional zoner who makes approaching her an arduous task for some characters, and on top of that while her high end damage can be pretty tough in terms of execution she has potential to hit REALLY hard.

Bullet is a very good character for beginners in my opinion. She has a gameplan that is easy to grasp and she encourages strong fundamentals to do well. The problem is that she gets lamed out pretty easily in certain matchups (zoners give her a really hard time). Her damage output is fantastic too. She only needs to land two little combos to ensure that the third will do like 5K to 6K (that's a lot of damage in BB).

Izayoi just... Isn't in a very good spot right now. If you want to play her, go ahead. She has pretty great mobility and mixup options but she can't carry momentum very well at all. I would recommend waiting for the CP 1.1 patch where she is getting a bit better.

As for who else I would recommend for learning the game: Ragna, Jin, Makoto, and Noel would be good choices as they are easier to play overall.

Take this with a grain of salt though. Some people just stick with who they like, no matter how hard they may be. I learned Blazblue and anime games in general by playing Valkenhayn (considered to be one of the hardest characters in the game). It's all up to you, and good luck!

Tsubaki is a pretty good character to learn with, honestly, because she's not 'weird'.  Just about everything you'll learn playing Tsubaki is generally applicable to the game.   She is, however, a character that Arc Sys seems to have no idea what to do with, with the net effect that her drive is basically a handicap - you need to have charge to do the same damage that the rest of the cast just gets, and her drive moves don't offer her any real benefits in terms of getting in or extending pressure.  On the plus side, she does have relatively good explosive damage capacity with Install Super and/or Overdrive (Arguably, she has one of the best overdrives in the game.) 

About the only bad habit you might pick up playing Tsubaki is that, since she has followup attacks on so many of her normals, she can encourage you to be a bit mashy.  Though the CP nerf to 5BB (which is super inexplicable, but whatever.) makes mashing B a pretty bad option, so maybe you won't pick up that habit as much as those of us who got onboard back when 5BB was useful.

Is Tsubaki higher on the execution difficulty curve compared to other characters? I was able to do some basic combos, but charge canceling became a thing in them and I got lost real quick. Am I just being too stingy about the whole thing or would it be just easier on me to learn someone with an easier execution curve?

Tsubaki is slightly execution heavy, this may be more apparent in her IAD and mid screen DP combos. But as far as execution goes, no, she's definitely not the worst. Some would even go as far as to call her a beginner character, which, she is.

Before I post my own problem, I may as well chime in since I'm also considering Tsubaki again. Back in CS I tried to main her to learn Blazblue. It was my first time playing this type of fighting game. I was mostly toggling between her and Jin, but I could not execute any of Jin's staple combos. With Tsubaki, at least I could do damage with her. However, I felt it was very hard to win with her, despite feeling more natural to pick up and play. Definitely a cool character, and feels fun.

___

Anyway, I think right now I'm mostly posting to vent about myself settling on a main, so forgive me. I'm not sure what it is about Blazblue/P4A/GG, but despite loving them and watching them on streams, I always run into the problem of being indecisive when choosing the character I want, and then I just don't play them. In all other fighting games I play, I'm able to just give all my love to one character and sit on them for years (Makoto in SF, Jin Kazama, Jean Kujo, Tira, etc.). Guilty Gear is the only exception (since I know Baiken and Milia are my favs), I just have no one I know that's interested in learning with me.

Now that I bought BBCP, I'm really hoping to actually pick a character I like and learn this type of game for once. I skipped the last BB, and my P4A career ended abruptly because I was frustrated by indecisiveness between Aigis and Akihiko, just like how my first attempt at BBCS ended.

The characters I like are: (I like way too many to make it easy on myself)

Top 3

Azrael- I was surprised I liked him so much by just randomly selecting him. He is currently the character I've been learning, and I'm actually able to win matches with him (something I can't do with anyone else). Friends are telling me to stick with him. I actually love is dash and normals. I'm unsure if I should be playing a character with links though. I would have been playing Hakumen if I wanted a character like that. Not sure if that helps me get the feel for these games. Besides that, the only thing that I dislike is that I had nearly every other character on this list considered well before he was even a thought. So...he kind of just budged the entire list by feeling so cool.

Tsubaki- I definitely like the feel of her, but I still cannot win. Her neutral game is a struggle for me, and when I do get any combos, it's laughable damage. Micro-managing her charges seems to annoy me as well. As a character though, I've always liked her. Being the first one I ever tried to main also helps me always consider sticking it out with her.

Hakumen-I like his defensive style, his actual moves, and his concept/design. Didn't play him in CS because he's a link character, and I believed that was counter productive to my learning.

___

Next 3

Terumi- I didn't think I'd like him until I saw his style. Quick damage. Cool looking moves. But after a while I felt that 6B was awkward during his combos. That started to bother me. Now, those were tutorial combos I was doing...so I'm unsure how optimal that would be on here.

Noel- Tried her out only one time back in the day. I could easily do some combos. I like her moves visually, but I don't really like her as a character.

v-13 - Despite not liking zoners, she was the first character to get me interested in BB while watching a combo video back in the day. I guess I only really liked her lifeless voice and the look of her moves. I just have that "love at first sight" thing, which makes me always consider her.

__

Makoto- Tbh, I only like her due to playing the SF Makoto.

Bullet is starting to seem cool to me as well...but I'm already having a hard enough time.

I feel like I just added filler to this thread, so again, sorry about this. It's frustrating to like these games, and many of the characters, but never actually become remotely decent at them.

So here we go~:

Last time I played BB was during CS with Platinum. So it is quite safe for me to say it has been quite some time since I played BB or any fighting games. BB CP looks very promising so I'm thinking about playing it again, I just wanted to ask what are some fun characters to learn? 

Before I took a break from BB, I loved playing Noel regardless of whether she was low or high tier. Now when I look at her, she looks so different and seems like she plays differently too! Like based on these information, did Noel become harder to play than BB? Based on videos seems like she did for me...

Also how is izayoi, Bullet, and Kagura? Can someone make me recommendations? Thanks a lot :)

Hi there, I just want a character with swagtastic and stylish combos. Something that'll make a crowd get hype. Any suggestions?

Before I took a break from BB, I loved playing Noel regardless of whether she was low or high tier. Now when I look at her, she looks so different and seems like she plays differently too! Like based on these information, did Noel become harder to play than BB? Based on videos seems like she did for me...

The only thing that's really different about Noel is that her drive pressure got buffed like crazy so its actually somewhat solid now, but in return the invincibility on some of her drives got shafted (RIP 5D). Overall though she's pretty much still the same which makes it no harder to play than before. It actually may be easier because of legit drive mixup now. Oh and the worse properties on a lot of moves still allow you to dodge shit like CA's and Bursts now with drive.

Hi there, I just want a character with swagtastic and stylish combos. Something that'll make a crowd get hype. Any suggestions?

Stick with Tsubaki?  Install/Overdrive combos with her are awesome.  There aren't actually many characters that can compete with her in that regard, since most other characters who had "power up supers" got them transformed into Overdrives.  IMHO, it's super hype to combo into an Install Super - nothing says "Okay, now it's on!" like that powerup animation.

The only thing that's really different about Noel is that her drive pressure got buffed like crazy so its actually somewhat solid now, but in return the invincibility on some of her drives got shafted (RIP 5D). Overall though she's pretty much still the same which makes it no harder to play than before. It actually may be easier because of legit drive mixup now. Oh and the worse properties on a lot of moves still allow you to dodge shit like CA's and Bursts now with drive.

Awww 5D is RIP!? :((( That's unfortunate.. I'll try it out again :D Thanks!

Stick with Tsubaki?  Install/Overdrive combos with her are awesome.  There aren't actually many characters that can compete with her in that regard, since most other characters who had "power up supers" got them transformed into Overdrives.  IMHO, it's super hype to combo into an Install Super - nothing says "Okay, now it's on!" like that powerup animation.

I couldn't agree more, but I seldom incorporate Mugen combos, although once I while I get a nice OD finish. Still, I suppose you're right.

I couldn't agree more, but I seldom incorporate Mugen combos, although once I while I get a nice OD finish. Still, I suppose you're right.

Well, if you can get a good Counterhit confirm, you only need 1 charge and 50 meter for big damage.   So practice that hitconfirm and/or fish for counterhits. ;)

Well, personally I am having a major character crisis and need help:

My favorite characters to play has been so far: Amane (very original gameplay plus love the character), Bullet (reminds me of KoF's Shermie, plus easy execution is always a plus for me), Noel (I like guns :3), Tager (hypest character in BB for me), and Kokonoe (love inventions and DAT rocket punch + not that many bad matchups in 1.1)

And I can't choose one over the other, even though I have been grinding training mode with Amane the most.

I practiced with Noel in Extend.

Help me choose!

Edit: Noel and Tager are out, so it's between Amane, Bullet and Kokonoe. factors are: reliable (universal usage of combos) and low combo memorization.

Tsubaki is slightly execution heavy, this may be more apparent in her IAD and mid screen DP combos. But as far as execution goes, no, she's definitely not the worst. Some would even go as far as to call her a beginner character, which, she is.

So would you suggest I stick with Tsubaki then? Maybe I'm just being over critical of myself since I really have never delved into a fighting game as far as BBCP. Hit confirms into combos and knowing what moves are safe vs. unsafe etc are not things I normally think about and when I do, I lose out on reaction time and get stomped on. Is it just a matter of playing the game more to get a sense for when I need to do when? Or is there something I'm missing that I could be easily practicing in training mode or something that would help?

Thanks for the input!

So would you suggest I stick with Tsubaki then? Maybe I'm just being over critical of myself since I really have never delved into a fighting game as far as BBCP. Hit confirms into combos and knowing what moves are safe vs. unsafe etc are not things I normally think about and when I do, I lose out on reaction time and get stomped on. Is it just a matter of playing the game more to get a sense for when I need to do when? Or is there something I'm missing that I could be easily practicing in training mode or something that would help?

Thanks for the input!

Well, if those are your issues, they're going to be your issues regardless of what character you pick;   Yeah. Mostly you'll need to log a bunch of time just playing the game.  Go to training mode, learn 1-2 combos (I suggest "Combo Zero" aka 5BB > 5CC > 236B > 214B > 22B  and maybe a one charge variant with 22D).  Work on those until you can get them down at least 4 times out of five. Then set the dummy to 'COM' with a level of at least 70 or so (Computer at 50 is so dumb it barely does anything) and practice landing those combos.  Repeat with more combos once you feel like you are mostly hitting your stuff.

So I got BBCP and I have been playing Jin almost exclusively to understand the game and all that. I find he's a very solid character that is very comfortable to play.

Recently I have been having trouble dealing with offence in the version, I feel overwhelmed a lot of the time. I figured that my playstyle is very defensive and I like controlling my opponent's approach. I play Axl in GG, so I'm ok with learning prolonged blocking.

Now I am considering playing Nu, her D moves remind me of Axl's chains and she is the premier zoner of the game, not that Axl is a zoner but its the space control that I like.

My biggest problem is execution, I find Nu combos very strict and inconsistent at certain ranges. Even basic aerial D combos are tricky to me with her. Should I just grind out the combos with Nu or can I get away with a passive Jin? I could main Nu and sub Jin, but I'm having doubts about being successful with Nu in the first place.

Thanks in advance guys.     

I've been having trouble finding a main. I went into BBCP wanting to main Izayoi, but playing her is, well, suffering...I love the design and the character, but whenever I play her I get utterly wrecked. So I switched, tried to learn other characters...and no matter who I play, I get wrecked(occasionally I win one match, then go back to getting wrecked) and basically perfected. This leads to me doing worse, feeling worse, and it's just a downward spiral from there.

I always sorta thought that if I found the right character, it'd sorta...click, and I'd have a natural affinity, but the more I think on it, the sillier it sounds.

Anyways, I've always valued strong netural in my mains, apparently: I mained Mu/Ragna in CS2, and Relius/Mu/Lambda in EX. I initially tried to find a neutral character with strong defensive tools, but they've never seemed to help even when I have them(Although a hard answer, I just need to get better at blocking and finding openings, I suppose), so I'm just trying to find characters with particularly good neutral games.

It depends on how much you know about the game when going in. If I know nothing about a game I actually give every character about 10 minutes in training mode and see which one I like the most then go from there.

If I have prior knowledge then I look at characters playstyles, ease of use, fighting style and general gameplan and how cool they look. That's how I picked Azrael as my main and Bullet as my sub.