shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Picking a main before you've even played them (i.e purely off of suggestion) seems kinda silly. Suggesting a character to be tried that might eventually be a main seems like something that is a lot more reasonable.

So I'm coming back to this game after not having played since CT and early early CS1.

I played Tager. Reasoning;

- I am a lazy fuck.

- I struggled with execution. Tager let me get past this barrier and I had all of my tools very early against better players. Never was I put in a position where I didn't have my proper answer readily available. Games focused less on execution/not dropping combos and more on making the correct call.

- I had control and options for a lot of situations. Rushdown could be turned on it's head in an instant.

- I am patient and Tager rewarded this. I am one of the three people playing anime games in NA that can block for longer than five seconds instead of getting CH out of a 2A.

- I did not really mind working hard. I am used to CT Tager. I still have PTSD flashbacks whenever I see Nu.

- Mixup/vortex. Setting people down in front of me and having a good answer for anything they can do (that either isn't horrible damage, or leads back into a guess) is important to me.

However I'm not really a huge fan of him in CP (besides the air buster. No more reading jumps with just AC, psychic air buster is great) and I am trying to cultivate myself as a fighting game player - Tager is a pretty heavy crutch for a lot of things, so I would like to get away from him.

This means no Azrael, as that guy is even lazier than Tager is. Dude can just press buttons and get away with it. Gross. Seems a lot of the old Tager mains jumped ship for him anyway. You people are frauds of the highest caliber.

Any recommendations for who to try out? Kagura looked interesting but he seems super bad after the patch. Is he worth a time investment?

Kagura isn't super bad. He's not even BAD, he's just not...all that good.  He's pretty much the same power level as Tager in that regard.  You could certainly do worse, but he does have some glaring weaknesses. (Though hell if I know what they are, he bodies me all the time.)

The other character who leaps to mind specifically as "someone who can screw up their opponent even more than usual if you can get the right read" is Hakumen.

Ok, way too many questions and not enough answers, so I'll try my best to answer here.  

@KSRezscind- I would definitely not recommend Noel if you really don't want to use her drive for pressure.  While one should be smart about when they use it, you shouldn't be outright avoiding it either.  In regards to Hakumen, you said you don't really like common picks and he's not exactly uncommon; I've seen him quite a bit in CP, so you probably won't want to use him.  It's not that you CAN'T rush with v-13, but I'd say that against a good amount of the cast you should be trying to keep them out more often than not.  Also, execution seems to be a bit of an issue for you and she got a fairly significant increase in execution requirements with the mode changes mid combo in CP.  I wouldn't say no to her per say, but from what you said, I'd say your first choice should be Tsubaki.  Her execution isn't particularly easy but it's not super hard either, she's fairly difficult to find, and her drive gives her a pretty unique take on rushdown and with the orb you can cover your charges a little better.  Additionally, while Noel is the better character overall, I wouldn't say Tsubaki is horrible either.

@Brav0man- It would be helpful if you could give us an idea of what type of character you like best (i.e. zoning, rushdown, grappler, etc.).

@Hawkk- If you're looking to improve on your execution and don't really want any herp derp (at least that's what I'm getting from what you said), I don't know if Kagura should be your first choice.  His execution barrier is on the low side of things and I think it can be easy to auto-pilot with him against weaker players, setting you up for bad habits that will get you killed later.  Have you thought about trying out Izayoi?  When she gets going, she can be pretty scary.  Mixup for days, decent to pretty good damage from them, and post patch she's just a good deal better than she used to be.  Also, you're used to playing carefully with Tager before you get things going, so in that regard she should feel similar even though her way of going about it is entirely different.

@Brav0man- It would be helpful if you could give us an idea of what type of character you like best (i.e. zoning, rushdown, grappler, etc.).

I don't know what style I like exactly. With airdashers, I enjoy kanji in P4A and Azrael in BBCP. On the Street Fighter side, I enjoy Urien the most.

My problem is with Guilty Gear in general. Like I said, nobody has really "clicked" with me, whatever that is supposed to mean. I don't have anyone I just enjoy playing. That's why I sorta default to Sol or Ky. I've tried everyone in that game. I really want to play this game at least decently.

Assuming you're actually asking a question here, one thing all your characters have in common is damage, so I'd assume your best bet would be trying to stick with the more damaging members of the cast.  Why don't you try working on Slayer and Potemkin the most and see how much you like them after getting a bit more in depth with their playstyles.

Yeah, sorry if the characters I used weren't much to run with. Those are just 3 that I've really enjoyed playing myself.

Slayer and Pot were among the first few I tried. Neither of them really did it for me and I don't know why. I just couldn't get comfortable playing. I just felt like I had already lost by the time I hear "Let's Rock." I'm sorry, it's all just weird and frustrating because I just wanna enjoy this game. Especially with Xrd around.

So I prefer rushdown characters that can convert hits into damage (abare is the term i think). Ive played Catwoman in Injustice, Scorpion in MK9, and dabbled in Slayer and HOS in GG (I guess it's worth noting I love Viper's EX ThunderPunch in MvC3 for its anti zoning potential), but Im open to suggestions for GG.

You'd probably like Noel.  Her rushdown can be quite damaging and you can utilize her speed and invul frames to get around zoners.  She has a projectile too which has some limited uses.

Alright im still having problems picking a character so I was wondering if there is a character that would be easier for someone who primarily played melty blood for a while? if not please tell me a good rushdown character

The better rushdown characters in BB are Noel, Bang, and Valkenhayn

Noel has a scary stagger pressure game, and with her drive which places her in a stance where she can link 4 unique normals and an ender, she can create some scary 50/50's. Noel's major failings though is her only reversal option is 4D, which looses to anything that has foot properties. Her sense of neutral is very dependent on a good sense of fundamentals. And without our her drive, Noel has a very bad mix up options. 

Bang is a very fast and agile character, who excels at breaking in using nails that make him hard to anti air properly. He even has a pretty high damage output. Unfortunately, he's very reliant on meter for reliable defensive options. Plus, if he runs out of nails, he struggles at approaching the opponent safely. 

Valkenhayn is actually rather unique, he has low HP and poor defense along with being rather slow in terms of mobility, but he has the ability to transform into a wolf which increases his mobility to one of the best in the game at the cost of blocking. While his combos don't usually have a giant amount of damage, he makes up for it because his combos end in knock downs, and he can easily perform 50/50 mix ups after those knock downs, effectively allowing to keep the foe from playing. Valk requires meter to escape pressure, and he's rather dependent on Wolf Form for neutral which has a meter that will need to cool down if it fully depletes. 

Their are also other rush down characters like Bullet, Izayoi, Makoto, and Tsubaki. But they struggle a great deal in a good chunk of their match ups, so their usually considered low tier. 

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, since I usually forget important stuff or misread certain facts. Anyway, hope that helps.

Some might hate the 'pick who you click with' thing, but you`d be surprised with characters you gel with

Regarding no one "clicking" with you in guilty gear, from my experience it's pretty normal among a handful of individuals. My advice is just to pick one (maybe look at some videos and see who looks the coolest/most fun) and take it as far as you can, because I'm not even sure I've felt that "click" and I've been playing for years.

So who do you play? I've had this game for at least 2 years now and I just can't find that "click" with anyone I try in GG. Everywhere else, it's pretty easy to figure out, but in GG I just default to sol or ky now because those are the only two I can almost halfway play compared to everyone else.

I just default to sol or ky now because those are the only two I can almost halfway play compared to everyone else.

The thing about Guilty Gear is that it has a really, really steep learning curve. There are a lot of characters (Eddie is a prime example) who you probably won't be able to do nearly anything with until you've spent some time grinding them into muscle memory.

I would advise you to pick some characters you enjoy, then watch match videos and try to figure out who looks like they'd be the most fun once you know what you're doing. Once you've got that, practice the hell out of them and take your losses in stride. You can't expect anyone to click right away because that's not really how GG works at mid-level play and above.

Relius is pretty dang good rushdown. He has some of the best pressure and lockdown in the game (if not the very best) and isn't limited to only rushdown. Ignis is a superprojectile so he can't really be bullied by zoners in the way most rushdowns are. With Ignis out you can get good damage from anywhere, and without Ignis he's not completely useles (Even able to do full combos with oki while restoring his doll to full.) If you are bro enough to handle meter management and the teensy bit of execution he takes now and then, I'd definitely recommend him.

Well, first off... Hi! I'm new.

I started playing Guilty Gear again because I saw Plus R and really really wanted to get back into it. I have not played GG since #Reload. I pretty much went to Street Fighter Third Strike and stuck with Street Fighter and Marvel vs Capcom up until Blazblue came out and started playing it HEAVILY. To the point where I was missing classes <_< >_>...

But anyways, I am trying to find some decent mechanic learning characters on Guilty Gear. Not so much "Who should I main?" Because like the posts on the front page, that is somewhat of a dumb question...

What I am wondering is who would be a good character for someone who has literally never played Guilty Gear on a competitive level to get the fundamentals down and understand who they would like and where they want to go with the game.

I love rushing people down with mixups and absolute despise Ky-Kiske and counter-based characters. (No offense to Ky players, I just don't like him because I'm pretty much forced to play him by the good players I know.)

(Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, just looking for some advice and where to go from this point.)

(I've tried HOS, Chipp, Baiken, and Sol.... They just don't seem to fit...)

Baiken and Sol are pretty fundamental characters in that they have pretty good footsies (Sol 5S/2S tha gawd) and other tools. Testament, Faust and Jam come to mind when it comes to fundamentals as well. They best way to develop in Guilty is training mode. Watch footage and train. You'd be shocked with how well you do just doing research and practicing.

Also, try and find a decent sparring partner, it helps.

Baiken and Sol are pretty fundamental characters in that they have pretty good footsies (Sol 5S/2S tha gawd) and other tools. Testament, Faust and Jam come to mind when it comes to fundamentals as well. They best way to develop in Guilty is training mode. Watch footage and train. You'd be shocked with how well you do just doing research and practicing.

Also, try and find a decent sparring partner, it helps.

I actually have a sparring partner who is about the same level as me, so got that one taken care of.

I tried Sol and he just confused me and a lot of combos felt really blocky to me.... Didn't like it. lol. 

Would you recommend Baiken for learning rushdowns at all? Just curious. I tried her at first and didn't like how much they changed her overall fighting style from Reload to now.

While it is possible to rushdown with Baiken, it's more benefical to play defensive footsies and capitalizing on mistakes. Tryng to simply rush down some of the cast will get you killed pretty quick (Sol, Ky, Dizzy, Testament, Slayer, POTEMKIN)

You will piss off a lot of people using her though.

Jam, Sol, HOS, and Millia are good starting points for RTSD types.

Hi guys I'm completely new. Can I get a recommendation for a character in Chronophantasma that's incredibly easy to play and has access to some beginner friendly cheese tactics?

Ragna, Noel, Jin, Bullet, Tager, Terumi, and Kokonoe are pretty good for beginners. Lord knows they have enough cheese.

Just go for Ragna, he is your generic swordfighter. No gimmicks, no complex mechanism, straight forward and easy to learn combos. 

Hi guys I'm completely new. Can I get a recommendation for a character in Chronophantasma that's incredibly easy to play and has access to some beginner friendly cheese tactics?

Jin was the first character I clicked with and that was what got me into FGs. But both Jin and Ragna are skill gate characters (Ragna moreso). Depends on your style, honestly. Jin has a lot of situational tools and I find him to be very ... flexible, in the sense that you can use some of his tools defensively ("Ice Wave" will stuff projectiles and force people to respect you at 50 meter, or you can use it for massive damage on offence with the right set-up, &c.). He's also very strong in CP compared to the CSE Ice Car spam. On the other hand, the freeze resets are either going to work for you or drive you absolutely nuts, so you'd have to feel him out in training and Versus to see if he's right for you. Ragna is more straightforward, as there's no freeze count to worry about. But both of them are popular so expect most players to be able to body you, as everyone has fought Jin and Ragna. Same story with Noel, but if you want a rushdown character, she's not a bad fit -- she's easy enough to pick up, but not easy to play well. (Though, really, that goes for all three ... low-level Jin is a joke, thanks to so many of his moves being massively unsafe if you're just throwing them out, but high-level Jin is a different story.)

Honestly, I'd just go through the tutorial and start everyone's challenges to see who seems the most viable for you. There's no shortage of options, but the BB cast is diverse enough that you have the luxury of picking the character that actually "clicks." StylisH posted a great list, but from those options: I can't play Noel for shit, Tager is a "lol nope," and I'm not touching Bullet, so there's a lot of personal preference involved.