shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

I've never actually played a GG game before, and am thinking about a main for XRD. For playstyle, I like high pressure characters, and have a particular fondness for the downright weird styles (e.g. Arakune). Execution is a slight issue, but it's improving with time.

I've never actually played a GG game before, and am thinking about a main for XRD. For playstyle, I like high pressure characters, and have a particular fondness for the downright weird styles (e.g. Arakune). Execution is a slight issue, but it's improving with time.

Maybe venom? Faust is pretty fucking weird too. Don't know about his pressure though.

Yo, what characters would you recommend to Zangief/Guile main? I'd like to use my SF experience as an advantage. Obviously Tager is the grappler of the game, but I've heard he is bad (SFA Dan type of bad). Do charge characters exist in BBCP?

Yes of course they do. kagura is the vharge character in bb. He is probably like guile, he got strong flashkicks and projectiles. So he is definitely recommended to u as a guile main.

Problem with Kagura is that he is only a step above Tager. There really is no Guile type in BB. Zoners typically don't have a "flashkick" or DP. Except Mu, but she's more well rounded

Milia  :MIL:  has, or at least had great pressure+oki. Don´t know anything about her in xrd except for her look. And she´s weird, as she´s fighting with her hair.

Or Zato-1  :ZAT: , but he´s pretty hard to play. (negative edging and stuff)

Or Zato-1  :ZAT: , but he´s pretty hard to play. (negative edging and stuff)

Negative edging like Arakune, or like Carl? I've picked up negative edging on Arakune just fine, but I couldn't manage it as Carl in CP.

Hello all. Though I've had some experience in more traditional fighters, I just started playing BB and I'm looking to settle on a main to finally start solidifying my development. I generally lean toward more defensive zoning characters, especially charge ones (think Remy in 3S and Ash in KOF). As it stands, my execution isn't great but is improving, so I'm willing to play someone more challenging. I've gotten through a few character challenges, but most of the beginner characters I see recommended, like Ragna, Jin, or Noel, really don't fit the defensive description. Any advice?

Rachel is pretty good for a more defensive zoning style (until she gets going, at the least).  She's quite challenging as well, although she isn't a charge character.

Hello all. Though I've had some experience in more traditional fighters, I just started playing BB and I'm looking to settle on a main to finally start solidifying my development. I generally lean toward more defensive zoning characters, especially charge ones (think Remy in 3S and Ash in KOF). As it stands, my execution isn't great but is improving, so I'm willing to play someone more challenging. I've gotten through a few character challenges, but most of the beginner characters I see recommended, like Ragna, Jin, or Noel, really don't fit the defensive description. Any advice?

Rachel might me a good choice as Venussail stated above.  There are basically two different types of defensive play in fighting games.  One is projectile heavy not letting your opponent get anywhere near you and one is not pressing anything and waiting for the right moment to attack.  Based off the characters that you have described (Remy and Ash) you seem more like the former than the latter.  You can definitely play Ragna and Jin defensively but you would have to have some pretty good spacing.  Noel can't really be played defensively to my knowledge.  I would look into character such as Rachel, V-13 and Mu-12.  All three of those characters gameplan is to throw out their projectiles (V-13's D moves aren't projectiles but you know what I'm saying hopefully lol) and waiting for the opponent to be in the right position to start your offense.

Oh nu's swords aren't projectiles? Let me go inform the tager players that they were doing it wrong all this time and sledge is completely free to her swords and all hope is lost.

There is no defensive character in BlazBlue, truly. It's a momentum game, so you usually want to be the one with the initiative. Zoners in BB generally try to control space while they set up for an approach, or take a small combo that allows them time to put more stuff on the screen to annoy you with. Nu is the most traditional zoner in the game, but she doesn't have what I would describe as a "patient" playstyle. Since you're coming from a SF/KoF background, there are a few characters I'd recommend over her:

Mu-12: Big normals, great reversal, easy confirms into big damage and safe setups. She has a relatively high skill ceiling, but she's extremely effective even at the beginner level, because she can be played very defensively until you learn how to properly rush down with her and make optimal use of her steins.

Azrael: He's a character that greatly rewards good footsies and reads, and his combos are all links, which should be easy for a KoF player. Along with Jin, he's a character you can play reasonably well by pretending you're playing a fair game.

Kagura: He's "sort of" a charge character, but really more like a stance character. Despite that, he has huge normals and really easy damage, and you can learn him in a day. He is low tier and you will struggle a bit, especially against some of the characters with good zoning, but he fits what you're looking for I think.

P.S. I know you're asking about BlazBlue, but you might also want to check out UNIEL and try playing Vatista. She is loli Guile.

Although I hate to admit it, if you like good defensive tools without much of an execution barrier, Kokonoe seems a good fit

Hey guys, I'm a Terumi main in CP. I picked him because I liked his drive and loved him in the story. But I'm migrationg away from playing bots and transfering over to online. Gotta say, Terumi's lack of a meterless reversal and mixup is beyond irritating. You can crouch block the dude all day, the only thing you need to stand for is j.2D which isn't very sneaky or 63214B but that takes meter, and when people with good pressure get me in the corner I'm FUCKED. I sub Hazama, but I want to keep him as a sub. So Im looking for a new main that has good reversal options with no meter and a quick, relitavly unassuming standing overhead so I can actually have a mix up game that doesnt involve jumping and letting everyone know what I'm doing.

Any suggestions? Im not really a fan of the puppeter characters, so if you're thinking of suggesting them, thanks, but I just honestly don't like either of them at all, same for Kokonoe, I refuse to use her on the grounds of her being bullshit and I hate her lol. So anyone excluding them, I dont care if suggested characters are ass teir. They just need the tools I want for fun lobby matchups.

Thanks playas

Hey guys, I'm a Terumi main in CP. I picked him because I liked his drive and loved him in the story. But I'm migrationg away from playing bots and transfering over to online. Gotta say, Terumi's lack of a meterless reversal and mixup is beyond irritating. You can crouch block the dude all day, the only thing you need to stand for is j.2D which isn't very sneaky or 63214B but that takes meter, and when people with good pressure get me in the corner I'm FUCKED. I sub Hazama, but I want to keep him as a sub. So Im looking for a new main that has good reversal options with no meter and a quick, relitavly unassuming standing overhead so I can actually have a mix up game that doesnt involve jumping and letting everyone know what I'm doing.

Any suggestions? Im not really a fan of the puppeter characters, so if you're thinking of suggesting them, thanks, but I just honestly don't like either of them at all, same for Kokonoe, I refuse to use her on the grounds of her being bullshit and I hate her lol. So anyone excluding them, I dont care if suggested characters are ass teir. They just need the tools I want for fun lobby matchups.

Thanks playas

Do you know about Terumi's 5C(1) RC mixups? Those are very ambiguous, obviously it takes 50 meter, but unless you want to use all of your meter to make damage, you better use these. Another useful thing is 2D after 22C lvl 3 in Midscreen (microdash, then 2D), and after 3C o 236D incorner( for the last one, do a meaty 5D, then 2D), vacum effect and +5 of advantage on block.

Ragna has an excellent meterless DP, he has an alright standing overhead (24 frames) he can combo off of meterless, and he can do TK Gauntlet Hades for another overhead option.

Jin has a super slow meterless DP, an amazing 25 meter DP, and a fast standing overhead (19 frames). Overhead leads to nothing w/o meter or CH though, and is punishable on any block, so normally you want to have 50 meter to rapid cancel it. For 25 meter Jin can TK j.214C, which leads to amazing result in the corner. It's slower than 6A (jump startup+22 frames), so you usually want to throw it somewhere unexpected or off a freeze reset. Needs additional meter to follow up away from the corner.

Noel doesn't have a real DP, but she has funky invulnerable frames on her drives that can go through gaps in pressure. Slower (26 frame) standing overhead with fair reward.

Mu-12 has a 22 frame standing overhead, and also has a legit reversal.

Azrael has growler, which has crappy range for a DP, but it is still a DP. Azrael has several standing overheads, the fastest of which is quick for standing overheads (21 frames). He's also got dash through mix-up, easy IAD j.B crossups, and some more situational things like low airdash j.A and 3C RC air-dash j.A.

Also, Terumi's meterless pressure is more about safe strings, frametraps, and throwing than high/low. You want to bait the opponent into either pressing a button at the wrong time, baiting them to reversal, or throwing overly respectful opponents. That is honestly how I play most of the time with Jin. With good conditioning you can sneak in j.2D and get hits with it. Also, given his insane meter gain on hit, once you do have 50 meter for rapid cancel shenanigans in mix-up, successful mixups pay for themselves (Like Heavymetalmixer suggests above).

Characters with meterless reversals and stand overheads:

Ragna, Tsubaki, Bullet, Hakumen, Litchi, Tager, Makoto, Kagura, Mu, Noel (heh), Azrael

Are who come to mind off top

terumi is meant more to be annoying until he gets that meter and then he becomes dangerous. getting the first hit or misusing meter is where he is most vulnerable. without meter his best options is being in constant plus frames so you have to be kinda close, using 2a 5b and the like. 2d is a decent tool to have for him but its weaknesses are there and waiting to rear their ugly heads. even on block you arent guaranteed a pressure reset unless you are close, and the closer you are the easier it is to get mashed out of startup. you can do 5d from midrange onward I guess... otherwise you just sort of go back to neutral or still gamble a reset.

the 5c mixup is indeed terumi's most potent. he has the orochi mixup, the empty jump mixup, good frametraps into high or low, a high that is plus on block, plenty of meter stealing and meter use tricks...

in a sense he can be hard to play. more like, he can be a struggle to play because he is one of the easiest characters to understand and play in the game. so as a terumi you need to know all, and I mean all of his gimmicks. they are usually effective once or twice, and he has quite a few. he's a true hustler.

defensive chars. hakumen?? tager I guess, he has no choice honestly. kokonoe because she can do everything, teleport gets her out of elephant poop every time. all the fore mentioned characters are defensive, agreed that most zoners minus mu and kokonoe are defensive. rachel is like hyper offensive but she can defend herself slightly with her tools and george. wouldnt put her in the defensive cat though.

So I'm gonna ask about mains for some not-Arcsys fighters because I'm sure I'll play them to some extent if I don't already because of locals. My play style generally involves zoning with large attacks/specials with some high mobility depending on the character. I don't really like to play super defensively and I'm okay with high-risk, high-reward situations even if they aren't necessary for that character to excel. Basically, I do whatever I want and have the luck to find characters that let me do that. Some characters I play are Nu, Platinum, and Mu in CP, Elizabeth and Yukiko in P4A, Batista and Waldstein in Uniel, and Morrigan/Doctor Strange/Taskmaster in Marvel 3.

Who should I look into in USF4, Dead or Alive, and Aquapazza?

I play Aquapazza and and I like Chizuru and Manaka, but I don't really feel like Chizuru is main material and I don't like having to be so defensive when playing Manaka. I like Morgan but I have no idea how she's supposed to work. I've messed with some Street Fighter characters in SFxT, but I know that doesn't really play like Street Fighter. That said, I kinda liked messing around with Poison. I have no idea where to even begin with DoA though, since I've only played it for like 20 minutes and that was months ago.

Sorry for the wall, but can I get any help?

I come from Tekken and recently started to play Air dashing fighting games, I played a bit of mortal kombat and Soul Calibur, and so I just started playing bbcp and started to really like kokonoe, but bbcp isn't the only game I am trying to get into, and would love a recommendation for a character in GGXXAC+R as well as in P4AU2, and  USFIV, though the latter has less importance. Any suggestion would be helpful!

So I'm gonna ask about mains for some not-Arcsys fighters because I'm sure I'll play them to some extent if I don't already because of locals. My play style generally involves zoning with large attacks/specials with some high mobility depending on the character. I don't really like to play super defensively and I'm okay with high-risk, high-reward situations even if they aren't necessary for that character to excel. Basically, I do whatever I want and have the luck to find characters that let me do that. Some characters I play are Nu, Platinum, and Mu in CP, Elizabeth and Yukiko in P4A, Batista and Waldstein in Uniel, and Morrigan/Doctor Strange/Taskmaster in Marvel 3.

Who should I look into in USF4, Dead or Alive, and Aquapazza?

I play Aquapazza and and I like Chizuru and Manaka, but I don't really feel like Chizuru is main material and I don't like having to be so defensive when playing Manaka. I like Morgan but I have no idea how she's supposed to work. I've messed with some Street Fighter characters in SFxT, but I know that doesn't really play like Street Fighter. That said, I kinda liked messing around with Poison. I have no idea where to even begin with DoA though, since I've only played it for like 20 minutes and that was months ago.

Sorry for the wall, but can I get any help?

For USF4, I would definitely recommend Juri. She's a very dynamic character and is one of the few characters in SF that feels challenging, even coming from Arcsys games.

For Aquapazza, probably Morgan? You might be better off asking in the Aquapazza thread here, but from my limited experience, she mostly relies on her arrows, mobility, and free safe jumps off of everything. Her normals are a little outclassed by the top tiers, and she doesn't benefit as much from a partner as most characters, but she's a lot of fun to play.

DoA, I don't know. Pick whoever has the nicest tits.

I come from Tekken and recently started to play Air dashing fighting games, I played a bit of mortal kombat and Soul Calibur, and so I just started playing bbcp and started to really like kokonoe, but bbcp isn't the only game I am trying to get into, and would love a recommendation for a character in GGXXAC+R as well as in P4AU2, and  USFIV, though the latter has less importance. Any suggestion would be helpful!

No offense, but not a lot to go on. What is your playstyle? What do you like to see in a character? Do you want a character that has relatively easy execution? Big damage? Good setups? For what it's worth, I'd recommend picking just one game and learning it in and out, so it'll be easier for you to transition to different games later. If you spread all your time trying to get good at 4 games, you're not going to make much progress.

No offense, but not a lot to go on. What is your playstyle? What do you like to see in a character? Do you want a character that has relatively easy execution? Big damage? Good setups? For what it's worth, I'd recommend picking just one game and learning it in and out, so it'll be easier for you to transition to different games later. If you spread all your time trying to get good at 4 games, you're not going to make much progress.

I like to have a nice mixup with a good gap closer (setups), something with good control of the map. I know that I should only focus on one game, but it doesn't hurt to have a direction in other games as well...

For USFIV, you might want to try Viper. She's not straight rushdown, but has a pretty strong mixup game and can shut down a lot of things with her ambiguous-as-hell Burn Kick. That, and she plays more like an anime fighter character to begin with than most of the SF cast. She also has great stage control with her Seismos, so there's another check on your wish list.

For USFIV, you might want to try Viper. She's not straight rushdown, but has a pretty strong mixup game and can shut down a lot of things with her ambiguous-as-hell Burn Kick. That, and she plays more like an anime fighter character to begin with than most of the SF cast. She also has great stage control with her Seismos, so there's another check on your wish list.

So I tried her, thanks for the tip, was just what I was looking for in SF!