shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

So, I'm relatively new to fighters in general (have a little bit of SF experience, but has been ages since I've picked the game up) I bought CP the other day and am really enjoying it, but I have no idea who to main. Things I like in a character are:

• Good pokes whilst having mixup potential
  • High mobility
  • Really long combos
  • Cute/Classy characters
  • Strong anti air(s)
I'm also going to buy Ultimax in the near future, so in Ultimax, who would fit that description?

Characters with good pokes AND high movility are rare, I really like speedters, just look at my sign. Now, if you want both features, besides the charaters that I use you should test Valkenhayn and Izayoi (Gain Art mode) in BBCP.

This man speaks wisdom. Trust me.

So, I'm relatively new to fighters in general (have a little bit of SF experience, but has been ages since I've picked the game up) I bought CP the other day and am really enjoying it, but I have no idea who to main. Things I like in a character are:

• High mobility
  • Really long combos
  • Cute/Classy characters
  • Strong anti air(s)

I'm also going to buy Ultimax in the near future, so in Ultimax, who would fit that description? 

In CP, you are looking at Litchi, because she is stupid and gets all the good things. :P

No idea about Ultimax.

I'm going into P4AU from BBCP, so I'm wondering who would be similar to Mu-12 or Bullet in that game. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

There's no characters with those features, BBCP has more characters and more playstyles (or variations). I think Naoto could fit for you because of the traps she leaves in the stage (like Mu), can zone with her gun and even do rushdown (not the better, but is good enough). Characters like Bullet would be Yosuke and Chie, because of their great rushdowns, mixups and frametraps. Chie is more about damage, while Yosuke is more about neutral game and mixups, both are the fastests characters in the game too.

New to Fighters kind of in general (Got into FGs late AE2012) so I'm not really good at any FG. I'm trying to figure out a main for GG Xrd and I am leaning on Sin, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea since he's a new character so I wont have too much info on previous games to work with? Or should I just main him anyways? I was considering Venom as well

New to Fighters kind of in general (Got into FGs late AE2012) so I'm not really good at any FG. I'm trying to figure out a main for GG Xrd and I am leaning on Sin, I'm wondering if this is a bad idea since he's a new character so I wont have too much info on previous games to work with? Or should I just main him anyways? I was considering Venom as well

Sin may be beginner friendly and it could be cool learning a new character and contributing to his development. But if you want to learn Guilty Gear and be solid as a beginner, I suggest Sol, Faust, and Ky as you can't go wrong with those guys. 

Ultimately, I feel that you should pick a character you like (for whatever reason) and grind it out. It will prob be more fun for you too.

Sin may be beginner friendly and it could be cool learning a new character and contributing to his development. But if you want to learn Guilty Gear and be solid as a beginner, I suggest Sol, Faust, and Ky as you can't go wrong with those guys. 

Ultimately, I feel that you should pick a character you like (for whatever reason) and grind it out. It will prob be more fun for you too.

Good points. I tried Faust a bit in AC+R (Bought the game to get a feel for GG games in general) but I don't think I like him much, it'll probably Ky or Sin.

I see what you're saying though, I think design wise and whatnot Sin looks like the funnest so I will probably main him. Probably gonna mess around with Ky and Sol in AC+R just to make sure though

Thanks!

• High mobility
  • Really long combos
  • Cute/Classy characters
  • Strong anti air(s)

For Blazblue, I would say that Kokonoe fits your description pretty well. 5C, 3C, and j.B all have great range, and her pressure/mixup is strong. 6A is also a great anti air. She's got a fast dash and a teleport, and her combos aren't too short.

In Ultimax, definitely Margaret. Very classy personality (lol), long reach with on almost all of her moves, a great anti-air with 2B, good ability to convert hits into full combos, and she's very fast overall as well. Go with her for sure.

In Ultimax, definitely Margaret. Very classy personality (lol), long reach with on almost all of her moves, a great anti-air with 2B, good ability to convert hits into full combos, and she's very fast overall as well. Go with her for sure.

I second this. Her anti-airs aren't that great, but she fits everything else to a T.

While i'm here, might as well ask a little something for myself:

I know the game is not out yet, so nothing is definite, but I'm not certain who to play in Xrd.  I like what i've seen of Sin so far, but I'd like to have a back up that i can watch match footage of and stuff in case I don't like him.  

I play Junpei in P4, Linne in UNIEL, Valentine/Fillia in SG, and I played Baiken (never very well though).  

I'm really open minded, and would be willing to play anyone in the cast, but not really sure who would fit my playstyle, or I would feel the most comfortable with.  maybe faust? idk.

also have no idea who i might want to play if i ever play BB.

I second this. Her anti-airs aren't that great, but she fits everything else to a T.

While i'm here, might as well ask a little something for myself:

I know the game is not out yet, so nothing is definite, but I'm not certain who to play in Xrd.  I like what i've seen of Sin so far, but I'd like to have a back up that i can watch match footage of and stuff in case I don't like him.  

I play Junpei in P4, Linne in UNIEL, Valentine/Fillia in SG, and I played Baiken (never very well though).  

I'm really open minded, and would be willing to play anyone in the cast, but not really sure who would fit my playstyle, or I would feel the most comfortable with.  maybe faust? idk.

also have no idea who i might want to play if i ever play BB.

I am NOT an expert at ArcSys games, but I played a lot of SG and know that the Valentine/Filia team is rather rushdown-oriented. Maybe you could try out Chipp in Xrd, because Val's gameplay/design was, IIRC, influenced by Chipp.

So i'm going to get into Xrd when it comes out, I've never played a Guilty Gear game seriously before (as in, I've messed around in training mode and arcade mode in #R but never really played against people) though I played the older versions of blazblue (and currently play Skullgirls) so i'm not unfamiliar with airdashers.

The characters that look the most interesting to me are Millia and I-No (though I-No's execution is INSANE in #R). I love characters with good okizeme and mobility, and i think the neutral game is the most fun and rewarding part of a fighting game (besides doing crazy mixups to people that are knocked down lol). 

I wouldn't call Skullgals an airdasher, though.

Why not? There are more than enough characters with an airdash. Then again, yiu can always say team fighter

I'd agree that Skullgirls (and it's grandfather, MvC2) isn't exactly in exactly the same subgenre of fighting game as ASW games, though Skullgirls is more similar to air dashers than say, Street Fighter or KoF. That information was just to give you an idea of the sort of games/characters I'm familiar with.

I'm not a beginner at fighters in general, just Guilty Gear specifically.

The problem with the term "anime fighter" is that It has become degrading. People are often like "oh just another crazy anime fighter". I think we should just call them 2d fighters.

UNIEL is considered an anime fighting game but it plays more like SF4. UMC3 is anime fighter by gameplay but It's not considered one for some reason. SF4 does not play like an air dasher but all the chars and stories are generic shounen anime stuff but yet It's not considered to be an anime fighter. 

The community needs to decide.