shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Now that XRD is coming, I need a main... Who is more on the defensive side? Points if they kind of are like Kokonoe...

You are going to be hard pressed to find a zoning/turtle class character in Guilty Gear, especially now that Testament and Dizzy haven't been confirmed (damn you Arc) but your best bet in this regard would probably be Venom.  

.....and even then it's a stretch

Street Fighter is best anime fighter

Sf4 pretty anime. Look at em bloomers

.............!

my god what have i done

to stay on topic, who do you guys think would fit my style for P4U? I think a good summation of my preferred style is 'pressure through spacing' where I can use a character with good mobility and/or normals to bait and punish and then okizeme my opponent to death

I don't quite get what you mean in terms of" pressure through spacing" but Aigis pretty much fits the picture you've painted. It isn't as easy as mixing up your opponent to death once you're in though because of how Orgia Mode works. To get more detailed information, ask around the Aigis forum or even consider sending Annel a PM or tweet directly to get some basics from him.

I don't quite get what you mean in terms of" pressure through spacing" but Aigis pretty much fits the picture you've painted. It isn't as easy as mixing up your opponent to death once you're in though because of how Orgia Mode works. To get more detailed information, ask around the Aigis forum or even consider sending Annel a PM or tweet directly to get some basics from him.

I think the best way to explain it is instead of running up and mashing buttons to try to beat their attacks and 'get in' as fast as possible, i stay at a safe range and poke until i get the opportunity to punish them and THEN I go in and do okizeme stuff 

I think the best way to explain it is instead of running up and mashing buttons to try to beat their attacks and 'get in' as fast as possible, i stay at a safe range and poke until i get the opportunity to punish them and THEN I go in and do okizeme stuff 

I would say that Yosuke fills your needs, he's the fastest character in the game (after Aigis in Orgia-mode), has awesome short-range normals, medium and long range tools (Persona and Kunais) and mixup specials. He's really good punishing at some distances because of how fast his normals are and his combos are very easy.

In general you could say he's a rushdown character, but just like Yu and Naoto, Yosuke is very versatile so you can adjust your play-style on him.

:'( Well I've 'narrowed' it down to Eddie, Venom, and Pot. And that is despite my interest in Testament, Dizzy, Johnny, and Baiken. 

Hesitations for Pot: I feel like grappler players seem silly and their wins get attributed to luck more than skill. I know that not to be the case, but I'd rather my wins not be seen as miracles.

Hesitations for Venom: Dubious Curve is gone, and he seems like a knockdown/pressure suffocation character, despite being a zoner. I want to learn how to react better, rather than just disable the opponent.

Hesitations for Eddie: He's so interesting that I imagine a lot of people would go for him, and I get nervous playing as characters whose match ups are well known or gameplans and mix ups are overexposed. Also, awkward S+M. The work to learn him needs to have the properly fulfilling payoff.

:'( Well I've 'narrowed' it down to Eddie, Venom, and Pot. And that is despite my interest in Testament, Dizzy, Johnny, and Baiken. 

Hesitations for Pot: I feel like grappler players seem silly and their wins get attributed to luck more than skill. I know that not to be the case, but I'd rather my wins not be seen as miracles.

Hesitations for Venom: Dubious Curve is gone, and he seems like a knockdown/pressure suffocation character, despite being a zoner. I want to learn how to react better, rather than just disable the opponent.

Hesitations for Eddie: He's so interesting that I imagine a lot of people would go for him, and I get nervous playing as characters whose match ups are well known or gameplans and mix ups are overexposed. Also, awkward S+M. The work to learn him needs to have the properly fulfilling payoff.

All you need is Dizzy tha gawd(ess)

Can anyone give me their opinion on which character is most played/ least played and most difficult/least difficult to use in guilty gear xrd? Thank you!

Someone with more experience can give a better answer, but from what I hear, I think in the US at least:

Most played/easy to use:

Sol and Ky (they are like Ken and Ryu from Street Fitgher so easy to pick up)

I also read that I-No is very popular and not as hard to use as many characters. From what I've tried, she reminds me a little of Morrigan/Felicia of Darkstalkers because of her grounddash being a sort of low flying into the air jump move to start combos off with. 

Easy to use, otherwise:

I've read in this forum Chip is easy to start off with, hard to master though.

I think Potemkin is also easy to use from what little experience I have in the older games. 

Least played/Hardest to use:

Zato-1/Eddie -everybody always says learning his style with Eddie is unlike any other fighter and is hard to execute. Personally I love his look and was able to do a little decent with him back when I first tried GG years ago, but I never played enough to get the hang of it. 

New characters aren't released on console yet, so they are less played at least as of today. 

Just got GGXrd-SIGN- and am hoping to support my local Guilty Gear community by participating in fight nights, ranbats, and possibly even Alpha Attack (if Circ/AL is still running it).

However, I just don't know who to use since, well, I had retired from fighting games for a good year or two before picking this up again, and my main in AC+ (Order Sol) is no longer availabe.

As for a preference of style: I prefer primarily a rushdown style that can capitalize heavily on an opponent's mistakes, even if they are high-risk/high-reward.

Woah, it's been like, 10 months since I last visited DL. Anyway, this'll be quick.

I want to know who you guys think I should play in P4 Ultimax. 

I'm looking for a character that can force the opponent to block on wakeup while you are safe of any worry of DP's. I know I sound pretty cheap, but that's just my style.

I played Kagura and some Nu-13 in Blazblue, played Elizabeth in the first P4A but I do feel like moving on to another character?

Any suggestions?

Sounds like you want a character with good okizeme. Rise and Marie have some decent setplay options. So does Yukiko, but she's more reliant on her Persona. Chie's oki was nerfed, but she still gets some decent mixup off it in the corner.

Found a year old list of easiest to learn characters. Posting this here as I think it'll help someone, maybe even myself. It's not for Xrd, but it's still fairly relevant I think. 

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/sep/07/tier-list-easiest-play-characters-guilty-gear-xxacr-nerdjosh/

In case the link dies sometime in the near future he has something like this:

Easiest: sol, ky, axl, Faust, potemkin

Next easiest: slayer, chip, may

Medium: millia, Venom

Hardest: Zato, I-No

Yeah that's AC stuff. I'm not a GG expert by any means but changes in playstyle, inputs, and the RC system probably pushed I-No and Millia down a couple of pegs and May is a bit harder now as well. Just my personal opinion though.

For a simple but extremely aggressive character choice, Slayer! Loving this guy online! I main M.Bison, with Yun and Rose as my alts in sf4 if that helps anybody in a similar situation looking to learn this game. The air combos in gg are my biggest avoidance, but I do fine with Slayer against average joes.

Found a year old list of easiest to learn characters. Posting this here as I think it'll help someone, maybe even myself. It's not for Xrd, but it's still fairly relevant I think. 

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/sep/07/tier-list-easiest-play-characters-guilty-gear-xxacr-nerdjosh/

In case the link dies sometime in the near future he has something like this:

Easiest: sol, ky, axl, Faust, potemkin

Next easiest: slayer, chip, may

Medium: millia, Venom

Hardest: Zato, I-No

I-No's execution barrier was decreased in Xrd, so.....

I'm still trying to figure out which character to main in Guilty Gear Xrd. This is my first GG game, and I'm not very good at FGs but I want to improve this time. 

So far I've narrowed down my choice to Ky, Elphelt and Sin. Ky cause everyone seems to suggest maining Ky/Sol when you first start off, but he feels a bit weird to use for some reason.

Sin and Elphelt cause I like both characters...

Any suggestions? 

I'm still trying to figure out which character to main in Guilty Gear Xrd. This is my first GG game, and I'm not very good at FGs but I want to improve this time. 

So far I've narrowed down my choice to Ky, Elphelt and Sin. Ky cause everyone seems to suggest maining Ky/Sol when you first start off, but he feels a bit weird to use for some reason.

Sin and Elphelt cause I like both characters...

Any suggestions? 

Tell us what features you're looking for in a character.

Tell us what features you're looking for in a character.

I want a character with decent mobility, defense wise it doesn't need to be the best or worst. Execution level has to be relatively easy as I'm not that good. 

I've also tried to clear as many challenges for all the characters to find out which ones I like best (20 challenges on average per char) but its been hard picking a main.

In terms of my playstyle, I haven't found what I'm best suited for yet. Sorry for being so ambiguous, but I'm struggling pretty hard in GGXRD. 

Maybe I-No?  Her execution is drastically toned down from older games.

I went to take a look at some videos on youtube and I'm guessing she's a rushdown oriented character? Her floaty dash somewhat scares me.. 

Maybe Sol, Faust or Axl. In this game most of the characters don't have a defensive-centered game.

To be honest, I tried to pick up Sol but he seems a bit hard for me to use. Doing 236K after RC and then linking it into 5K (in one of the challenges) is something I'm still struggling to pull off... ;x 

I'm looking at picking up either Faust or Ky at the moment. Which would you recommend between the two?