shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Faust and Leo... Darn. Faust is weird so I don't reaaally want to play him right now. I will look into him though. I like how Leo's style looks but yeah $8 fuaarrc... But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless, guys. :)

Anybody else y'all think fits my description? (Low-mid execution for max dmg.)

Maybe Slayer, but I don't play him so I don't know about his execution.

Faust and Leo... Darn. Faust is weird so I don't reaaally want to play him right now. I will look into him though. I like how Leo's style looks but yeah $8 fuaarrc... But thanks for the suggestions nonetheless, guys. :)

This whole game is weird. Every character has different damage output levels but various tools to achieving said damage. Millia may not do much damage in a single combo, but she's got a lot of ways to open you up to start up another combo. You don't need to learn the dustloop to play Sol, but every character is going to have a "gatekeeper" thing you'll have to learn to really learn the intermediate/advance stuff. Sol has D-Loops, Venom has ball formations, Zato you control Eddie, etc. If you're still learning the game, just play Sol or Ky so you can ease yourself into the pacing of the game.

This whole game is weird. Every character has different damage output levels but various tools to achieving said damage. Millia may not do much damage in a single combo, but she's got a lot of ways to open you up to start up another combo. You don't need to learn the dustloop to play Sol, but every character is going to have a "gatekeeper" thing you'll have to learn to really learn the intermediate/advance stuff. Sol has D-Loops, Venom has ball formations, Zato you control Eddie, etc. If you're still learning the game, just play Sol or Ky so you can ease yourself into the pacing of the game.

Mk, thank you for your response. That was pretty much the plan on my mind, but now I am now sure in following it through. :)

I'm sure Leo's exactly what you're looking for. Believe me on this.

This is just me, but if it weren't for Leo, I probably wouldn't be playing Xrd.

I'm sure Leo's exactly what you're looking for. Believe me on this.

This is just me, but if it weren't for Leo, I probably wouldn't be playing Xrd.

I trust ya. :D Thanks swordsman! I'll get myself more acquainted with the game before I purchase Leo.

How come Potemkin is rated so lowly in Xrd? His damage is quite high. Do his active frames come slower causing him to get beat out in exchanged or what?

(I don't mean to double-post, mods. :) )

How come Potemkin is rated so lowly in Xrd? His damage is quite high. Do his active frames come slower causing him to get beat out in exchanged or what?

(I don't mean to double-post, mods. :) )

Quick Breakdown

Pros: Good damage output. Good command grab. Good footsies. Hammerfall YRC is good. A lot of health and guts so there's room for mistakes. One of best backdashes in the game.

Cons: Weak neutral. Weak mobility. Weak okizeme compared to rest of cast. Very rigid pressure and limited high low mixup. Relies on making hard reads and taking big risks to close the gap and to open up an opponent. Essentially you need to out RPS your opponent's options. Like a lot of grapplers, Potemkin needs to patiently play around your opponent's tendencies rather than traditionally open them up.

In upper levels of play, you'll be spending most of your time in neutral as a character with weak neutral since making a good read can actually throw them across the screen sending you back to square one. When he's compared to the stronger characters in the cast that can safely gain and keep momentum on a knockdown, Potemkin is considered to be very weak.

Pot is also vulnerable to set ups and combos that wouldn't normaly work against the others because of his size

Pot is also vulnerable to set ups and combos that wouldn't normaly work against the others because of his size

I think blitzshield changes are going to really help him with counterplaying against bullshit oki/setups.

I think blitzshield changes are going to really help him with counterplaying against bullshit oki/setups.

I sure as hell hope not.  I've been feeding Pot a steady cheese diet since AC. 

am looking for a character to main in guilty gear Xrd

I come from injustice(brain dead execution).

I really like Millia, but am not sure if she's easy enough for me.

I also like sin and Elphelt 

If would be nice if my BnB didn't require jump cancels for some decent damage, am not very consistent with them ATM

trying not to play sol, I hate poster boys

am looking for a character to main in guilty gear Xrd

I come from injustice(brain dead execution).

I really like Millia, but am not sure if she's easy enough for me.

I also like sin and Elphelt 

If would be nice if my BnB didn't require jump cancels for some decent damage, am not very consistent with them ATM

trying not to play sol, I hate poster boys

Sol and Ky are the poster boys but they bring a lot to the table that still makes them stand out. Shit, I'm subbing Sol and he's fun as shit. Almost everyone has some form of jump cancelling combos, so you're going to have to learn them eventually. Millia is the easiest of the setplay characters, but as you master her you'll have to learn more mix-ups and oki options because she can get a little robotic and easily read. 

So they took everything that made rachel fun and nerfed it, that coupled with the fact that i'm not going to be putting much time in bbcpex because of Xrd made me seek for another char just for this version of the game, so guys who is the easier fundamental driven character in the game as of now? i though "oh jins the obvious one" but it seems that what makes him good in this game is just he having buttloads of damage? i also tried nu but her combos irritate me for some reason.

Ragna or Jin are probably the easy mode characters.  They both have strong space control with their normals, and do 3k by sneezing.

So they took everything that made rachel fun and nerfed it, that coupled with the fact that i'm not going to be putting much time in bbcpex because of Xrd made me seek for another char just for this version of the game, so guys who is the easier fundamental driven character in the game as of now? i though "oh jins the obvious one" but it seems that what makes him good in this game is just he having buttloads of damage? i also tried nu but her combos irritate me for some reason.

Jin's a character who can do pretty consistent damage anywhere on screen and even more when he has 25 meter or more, sooo.

But yea, like Arik said, Ragna & Jin are the obligatory protagonist/rival pair that are simple to use and pretty easy to win with when  you know what you're doing. They also happen to be even better in this game, so yea.

Wanna be lame and boring play Nu Kokonoe:D

Fixed it for you.  Probably my favorite character personality wise, but her playstyle is laaaaame

Hey, first post on this forum. I've been playing Xrd for a while now, and although I've pretty much settled on my main (Ram), I'm looking for a sub at the moment. I'm not very good at fighting games at all, and I'm struggling with a lot of the characters. I have an issue with the timings on specials in combos, so I'd prefer it if I could play a character with really strong normals and specials that support those normals instead of the other way around. Are there any characters like that?

Also, I know that the "standard" answer to "easy to pickup character" is Sol and Ky, but I'm somewhat odd as far as fighting game mains go in that I won't really be able to play a character effectively if they don't "click" with me, and so far, Sol and Ky very much have not clicked. 

Slayer and May have pretty strong normals. They also can throw out specials without too much respect(may to a lesser extent). Adding more details on what playstyle your looking for would help people giving advice since alot of characters have godlike normals and specials.

Slayer and May have pretty strong normals. They also can throw out specials without too much respect(may to a lesser extent). Adding more details on what playstyle your looking for would help people giving advice since alot of characters have godlike normals and specials.

I generally play rushdown characters if that helps. I might give slayer a try. 

Let's see, he has 4 lows and 2 overheads on the ground. (2B, 3C, 2D, 6C/6B, GH)

Never mind the fact that his overheads can be seen a mile away, and you're left with 4 lows, two unsafe on block/whiff (2D/6C). That's 2 lows you can safely use.

Let's just say that if your opponent has good defense, your best bet for something to catch them off guard without going into risky territory is a 5A/2A tick throw or a surprise 3C (throw it in a random blockstring).

Whut?  2D is "unsafe" when it's -4 and pushes you way the heck back?  6C that is freakin' jump cancellable is unsafe?  Come on, seriously.

Clearly, good players are not having any trouble opening up other good players with Ragna. Gauntlet Hades can come out just about anytime, and used judiciously is very effective.

Ragna doesn't have "good" mixup except at low levels, but his mixup isn't bad either.