shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Hello guys!

I'm a Tekken player, but I'm losing faith in this game more than I expected so I just wanted to switch to another fighting game. I really liked the character Elphelt, watched some videos on Youtube and her attitude is just too damn cute, gameplay-wise, she looks really fun to use. Is there any good player using her on Youtube?

Can I ask a question? I bought bbcp as my first fighting game about a year ago. I getting better but, playing a character I can play due to my low skill level(Tsubaki). Now i want to pick up Hakumen,lambda, or Celica(Dont have extend yet, and I like mechs and weird, supernatural stuff :3), but I noticed that i struggle way more than using Tsubaki. 

The question is do I try to learn  a character that I want to use and love but obviously struggle horribly with, or use a character that i can use easily, but don't like them that much?

My advice?  If you really want to learn someone else, just keep grinding.  It all just takes time and practice to come together.  It seems like ice skating uphill at first, but the repetition and training will just make everything natural over time.  How long it takes, is up to you.  

Hang in there, and you'll do fine.  You may end up surprising yourself.

Can I ask a question? I bought bbcp as my first fighting game about a year ago. I getting better but, playing a character I can play due to my low skill level(Tsubaki). Now i want to pick up Hakumen,lambda, or Celica(Dont have extend yet, and I like mechs and weird, supernatural stuff :3), but I noticed that i struggle way more than using Tsubaki. 

The question is do I try to learn  a character that I want to use and love but obviously struggle horribly with, or use a character that i can use easily, but don't like them that much?

If you're not having fun, stop. You won't get better with a character you don't like and simply force yourself to play.

I would say picking the character/playstyle that you love and trying to get good with them is the better idea here. Most of the things that make a character "difficult" evaporate with a bit of time (barring extremely advanced techniques). Yes, it may be more difficult at first, but after awhile their combos and setups become burned into your brain (you'll be able to do them with your eyes closed). And any small victories you achieve/improvements you make will be amplified and "cooler" because they happened with a character you liked. 

My advice to you would be to have some sort of "trial period" when learning a new character. Like, give Hakumen or Lambda 50 or 100 matches to assess how you like them (I'd recommend 100 because it gives you time to adapt to what makes them difficult). After those matches are up...you can decide if you'd like to continue playing with that character or if you'd like to try someone else out. (It's like dating, lel). 

im primarily a persona player and i main minazuki.

what characters would you guys recomend for me to use in blazblue and guilty gear? im looking for someone similar but im not scared of a little variation.

what characters would you guys recomend for me to use in blazblue and guilty gear? im looking for someone similar but im not scared of a little variation.

Attitude-wise, I would say pick Terumi.

Gameplay-wise, I would say pick Jin.

In Guilty Gear, I'd say Ky or Sol would be most like minazuki.

Hello! I'm playing BBCSE (planning an upgrade to BBCPE in a couple of months) and I really CAN'T chose a main. The whole cast is so amazing!

After MUCH thought in which I considered something like half a dozen of characters, I narrowed my choices to Rachel and Relius
I hope you will give me some suggestions, even if the final decision should of course be mine ^^"

Rachel because:
-she is probably my favourite character in the story
-I love playing with wind
-I love pumpkins & halloween
-Goth loli = love
-I like zoning and traps
But I am a beginner. And she is HARD

Relius because:
-Mad scientists are one my favourite tropes
-I like marionettes slightly more than zoning
-Carl is too damn hard
-Ignis is a blast

Let's just say I like playing with Relius slightly more even if I enjoy both a lot. However I love Rachel as a character and not playing as her makes me sad even if I like her gameplan just a tiny bit less than Relius'.

All of this while hoping I will not like Kokonoe too much as I'll shift to CPEX. Which is a very real possibility.

Hello! I'm playing BBCSE (planning an upgrade to BBCPE in a couple of months) and I really CAN'T chose a main. The whole cast is so amazing!

After MUCH thought in which I considered something like half a dozen of characters, I narrowed my choices to Rachel and Relius
I hope you will give me some suggestions, even if the final decision should of course be mine ^^"

Hello! If you like both their playstyle, then I suggest that you pick the character you like the most in terms of style/story (in your case Rachel). Even if you find the character to be hard to learn (btw Relius is also kind of hard) liking the character can keep you wanting to improve. I've always been liking characters whose playstyle does not suit me at all (bang and izayoi) but I can tell you that after 2 versions of eating dust with izayoi I've finally managed to reach a certain level with her and it's one of the most rewarding experiences to be able to win with the character you like after a bunch of hard work. Also, character love has a history of outing top tiers in this game :)

I been playing P4AU and Blazblue for awhile and im starting to figure what character I like, and what I prefer to deal with. Apparently, I starting to figure out that like the characters that can get a lot of damage from neutral, has good range, or the character with biggest weapon(longer range) or hard hitting normals (I love giant weapons, and especially when magic is involved :3). (May, Ky, Ramlethal, etc) I just be able to punish people mistakes with big damage from  neutral better whether by normals or projectiles, or at least hard  hitting normals. Any suggestions for Persona and Blazblue? I like labrys but i dont know about blazblue. I 've been running with Tsubaki all this time. 

Edited by Shigekazu

I been playing P4AU and Blazblue for awhile and im starting to figure what character I like, and what I prefer to deal with. Apparently, I starting to figure out that like the characters that can get a lot of damage from neutral, has good range, or the character with biggest weapon(longer range) or hard hitting normals (I love giant weapons, and especially when magic is involved :3). (May, Ky, Ramlethal, etc) I just be able to punish people mistakes with big damage from  neutral better whether by normals or projectiles, or at least hard  hitting normals. Any suggestions for Persona and Blazblue? I like labrys but i dont know about blazblue. I 've been running with Tsubaki all this time. 

P4U2: Yu, Sho, Minazuki, Marie and Margareth.

BBCPEX: Ragna, Jin, Hakumen, Kagura.

P4U2: Yu, Sho, Minazuki, Marie and Margareth.

BBCPEX: Ragna, Jin, Hakumen, Kagura.

Oh cool. Thanks. Doesnt Labrys fall in the category as well? 

Oh cool. Thanks. Doesnt Labrys fall in the category as well? 

Oh right, I forgot about her and S.Labrys (Asterius).

Edited by heavymetalmixer

Hello! If you like both their playstyle, then I suggest that you pick the character you like the most in terms of style/story (in your case Rachel). Even if you find the character to be hard to learn (btw Relius is also kind of hard) liking the character can keep you wanting to improve. I've always been liking characters whose playstyle does not suit me at all (bang and izayoi) but I can tell you that after 2 versions of eating dust with izayoi I've finally managed to reach a certain level with her and it's one of the most rewarding experiences to be able to win with the character you like after a bunch of hard work. Also, character love has a history of outing top tiers in this game :)

Thanks a lot! My ass is actually been kicked but I am having the most fun and that's what I am looking for
My gothic mistress thanks you ;)

Usf4 rufus player herE

BB.has always intrigued me, 

Now I'm ready to jump in thIs game, ultra has become stale at the moment...I been doing lots of reading on wiki and all the character breakdowns...looking for a little more direction in the game....the Character that appealed me the most was yuuki due to the meter gain..also considering has izayoi for that crazy movement and Noel for her speed..

I also like someone relatively easy to learn for mid level play...

According to wiki bullet makoto and celica fall under that category..

I'm a Rush down player at heart hence Rufus and don't enjoy the traditional shoto or jack of all trades type so no ragna or Jin

So maybe a top 3 considerstion for 

Rushdown?

Mix up?

Ease If execution?

Thank you very much for your help

Rushdown: Ragna, Noel, and Bang

Mix up: Valk, Izayoi, and Rachel

Ease of execution, Ragna, Terumi, and Celica

I kinda need help. Who's the shoto-ish character in CP 1.1 with good footsies?

I kinda ragequitted trying to make the transition from CT to CP because everything was so dang fast that I couldn't even do basic combos consistently like Ragna's 5B > 5C > 5D > Hell's Fang >> Followup.

Since CF at least looks reasonable and I want to main Naoto and Nu/Lambda, (And sub pretty much whoever I can.) Which character plays like a standard shoto aside from Jin? (Who I can't play to save my life.)

Air combos are good too. I like air combos, which is pretty much the reason I don't really like Jin, can't combo with this fool.

Before I stopped playing, I was messing around with Terumi, but I'm sick of his range, and Nu, but Luna (Lambda's) Forme being unable to do 5DD > 4DD > 236D on block (Or even hit) kinda burned out my patience with her, but I'll probably try to learn something to deal with it and keep her as a sub.

Rushdown: Ragna, Noel, and Bang

Mix up: Valk, Izayoi, and Rachel

Ease of execution, Ragna, Terumi, and Celica

YOOOO what?  I don't agree with that at all, since his basic midscreen bnb requires a hell of a finnicky microdash to land 236D.  I guess you could play without it but TBH he probably needs everything he can get. 

I need help myself actually, I have no idea who I want to play in Xrd anymore.  I used to play Bedman but it was more for his character than how he plays since I find him to be more awkward than anything else.  I switched to Faust because he beats Bedman's bad matchups and because I enjoyed him in the old games, but his Xrd version really isn't doing it for me.  None of the old characters are really doing it for me either, in terms of fun factor I found them more fulfilling in the old games.  I have no idea who I should switch to.

So i mained Dizzy through out Guilty Gear +R, who would you guys say excel as space control and lockdown in XRD?