shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

So i mained Dizzy through out Guilty Gear +R, who would you guys say excel as space control and lockdown in XRD?

Venom or Bedman maybe?  They aren't the exact same thing but you may find some similarities.

So i mained Dizzy through out Guilty Gear +R, who would you guys say excel as space control and lockdown in XRD?

Maybe Elphelt or Faust. Dunno if Ramlethal fits too. There's no one really like Dizzy, (Or the older characters for that matter.) But at least those three should be enough to give an idea. Venom might be what you're looking for too.

I kinda need help. Who's the shoto-ish character in CP 1.1 with good footsies?

I kinda ragequitted trying to make the transition from CT to CP because everything was so dang fast that I couldn't even do basic combos consistently like Ragna's 5B > 5C > 5D > Hell's Fang >> Followup.

Since CF at least looks reasonable and I want to main Naoto and Nu/Lambda, (And sub pretty much whoever I can.) Which character plays like a standard shoto aside from Jin? (Who I can't play to save my life.)

Air combos are good too. I like air combos, which is pretty much the reason I don't really like Jin, can't combo with this fool.

Before I stopped playing, I was messing around with Terumi, but I'm sick of his range, and Nu, but Luna (Lambda's) Forme being unable to do 5DD > 4DD > 236D on block (Or even hit) kinda burned out my patience with her, but I'll probably try to learn something to deal with it and keep her as a sub.

Uh. So what part of the shoto character are you looking for here? The combination of projectile/rush move/DP?  Because other than Jin, you've got...er...Makoto and Tsubaki, both of whom are... uh... yeah.

Makoto's normals aren't bad, actually, but her projectile is kinda useless in the standard 'use projectiles to cover space across the screen' sense. (It's not a bad move, but it doesn't really serve the standard projectile purpose).

Tsubaki has all the fireball/uppercut/advancing horizontal move stuff covered, but her footsies are kinda weak because she has some of the suckiest normals in the game.  She uh, kinda has air combos.  And if you didn't like Terumi's range, you're going to hate Tsubaki.

Mostly, if you want a shoto character, you want to play Jin.

If you want a strong, basic, footsies character, you should just play Ragna.

Out of all the characters; Ragna, Jin, Tsubaki. Makoto, and Celica I'd say are the closest things to a shotoclone. Each of them aren't too complicated to play and have the standard "Fireball, Dragon Punch, Projectile" setup. 

If you want a strong shoto, stick with Jin as he's the most well rounded out of the five, Ragna has more of a focus on offensive footsies(ala Ken :V); Makoto and Tsubaki aren't bad per se, they're definitely the most viable they've been in years, but I feel they are inferior to Ragna & Jin in a few respects. Celica is arguably the weakest of them having the most glaring flaws, but she is great in a few areas(namely the corner) and does have some pretty high damage as well.

My shoto list in terms of viability

Best: Jin

Great: Ragna

Good: Tsubaki & Makoto

Average-Mediocre: Celica.

Or you just can just ignore this and use whoever you feel like.

Uh. So what part of the shoto character are you looking for here? The combination of projectile/rush move/DP?  Because other than Jin, you've got...er...Makoto and Tsubaki, both of whom are... uh... yeah.

Makoto's normals aren't bad, actually, but her projectile is kinda useless in the standard 'use projectiles to cover space across the screen' sense. (It's not a bad move, but it doesn't really serve the standard projectile purpose).

Tsubaki has all the fireball/uppercut/advancing horizontal move stuff covered, but her footsies are kinda weak because she has some of the suckiest normals in the game.  She uh, kinda has air combos.  And if you didn't like Terumi's range, you're going to hate Tsubaki.

Mostly, if you want a shoto character, you want to play Jin.

If you want a strong, basic, footsies character, you should just play Ragna.

Yeah, was kinda trying to avoid Ragna, but since I main Ken in SF4 already I might give him a try, heard Ragna's footsies are good. Thanks for the help.

And you're pretty right about Tsubaki. I've never seen normals that bad. I actually took one and a half hour trying to beat her arcade mode. Heck, I got bodied by Tager because he was slaughtering me in Neutral. I didn't even had time to get thrown that much. You can guess how fun Hakumen was. Mostly my fault for going in blind, but still.

I don't even know how she's even viable outside of Super Not-Mugen Install to spam D Specials. It's like trying to play Akihiko in P4A without good frame advantage and damage. Never again.

Guys, its Ragna. He's played relatively the same in every game, if you know how to footsies and put the pressure on your opponent, you'll be fine.

Blazblue player here!
Some days ago, I almost made up my mind and decided to main Rachel. However, just to be sure I won't regret, I am still trying out other characters before I totally commit myself to our favourite vampire mistress

In particular, I'm now toying with Platinum. Because yes, lolis are good in both gothic and magical clothes. Can you give me some general opinion about her/him/it as a beginner character?
I thought she/he/whatever should be hard because of RNG and the need to memorize different combos for each tool she has, but people on the internet keep rating her low on a difficulty level.

Plat is certainly much easier than Rachel, since managing items is easier than managing wind, and her execution difficulty is much lower. 

I'm not sure how many of her items are really combo tools either - at the very least, I generally see missiles/bombs/presents used more as neutral tools, and pan/cat/bat are all definitely useable in that way.  So you can totally get to a a competent level with Platinum without needing to really learn item specific combos as long as you can learn how to use her items in neutral.  Unlike Rachel where even your basic basic combos are probably going to revolve around how much wind you have.

To maximize your Platinum power, you'll need to learn a lot of combos, but the same can be said for Rachel, or, indeed, most of the cast, so she's relatively easy. 

How much should I let tier list decide who to play because it seems like all characters I like to play in blazblue and persona  are either horrendous characters (Tsubaki, Labrys) or hellish hard to use (Aigis, izayoi, Mu 12), which results making me use an easier character -__-.  

Edited by Shigekazu

How much should I let tier list decide who to play because it seems like all characters I like to play in blazblue and persona  are either horrendous characters (Tsubaki, Labrys) or hellish hard to use (Aigis, izayoi, Mu 12), which results making me use an easier character -__-.  

In general, if you're new to fighting games, play a basic character. If you aren't, play a character that you LIKE that either is similar to a character you already play (transferable skills) or you think looks cool. The important part is that it's easy to stick with your character. The time you take to pick up a new character is precious time you could take to learn general game nuances.

If you're going to base your choice off tier lists, look at multiple tier lists even from previous games. You want to pick a character that's relatively stable throughout games so that you don't feel like switching even if they change your character drastically. Another thing tier lists tell you is that if a character is low tier at first and then ends up high tier at the end of the game's life, you can tell they're difficult and vice versa.

Mu-12, Izayoi and Aigis actually aren't too hard to use. Maybe the issue here is that their gameplan is vague in your mind? That could create a lot of difficulties for you if this is the problem. Feel free to ask for help in the respective character forums if you're having a hard time with them. I can't comment on Tsubaki too much but as far as Labrys goes, she's definitely not a horrendous character. That said, you really need to commit yourself to becoming good with the character. If you're serious about getting good with this character, I highly recommend joining the Labrys Skype Group to help you out. There are a lot of helpful people in the skype group that can really help you get a handle on the character.

To answer your general question, the answer usually differs from game to game and also the balance of the current iteration. If the balance is great, it shouldn't affect your choice unless you're aiming to be super competitive to the point that you plan to win a lot of big tournaments. In which case, it only makes sense that you improve your chances by trying to stick to one of the best characters in the game.

Regardless of what you do, you definitely want to get yourself away from caring too much about how much you're winning and losing, especially when you're still pretty new to fighting games like you are. Try your best to make enjoying playing the game and socializing with other players your #1 priority for now. (I saw you edited this part out of your post but I thought It was something very important to address so I put this here anyway)

Tsubaki is far from horrendous this iteration; with good damage, relatively easy execution, and all around decent tools, her only shortcomings would be her bad range normals and difficulty opening opponents up.

Tsubaki is far from horrendous this iteration; with good damage, relatively easy execution, and all around decent tools, her only shortcomings would be her bad range normals and difficulty opening opponents up.

Took th' words outta me mouth. 'x'

That whiff cancel-able DP don't hurt ether. A lot of people place her "A tier".

To be fair, those are pretty substantial shortcomings compared to a lot of the cast.

But she's by no means "horrendous" this game.

got some really noobish questions that need answers. 

1.should i focus on one fighting game and stick to it and get better.

2.should i have more then one main?

i think those are it.

I think I might have asked this before but I can't find my post, so I'll ask again.

Who do I play in Xrd.  Seriously, I'm not enjoying anyone in this game.  I find every single one of these characters to be boring as hell both from a gameplay and a character perspective, even if I enjoyed them in the X2 series.  I have absolutely no idea who to use and I'm about to just give up.  Nobody seems fulfilling or rewarding to me in this and all of the top tiers seem like they take too much genuine work and effort to just be a lazy tier rider.  Please help me so that I can actually enjoy this game.  

I think I might have asked this before but I can't find my post, so I'll ask again.

Who do I play in Xrd.  Seriously, I'm not enjoying anyone in this game.  I find every single one of these characters to be boring as hell both from a gameplay and a character perspective, even if I enjoyed them in the X2 series.  I have absolutely no idea who to use and I'm about to just give up.  Nobody seems fulfilling or rewarding to me in this and all of the top tiers seem like they take too much genuine work and effort to just be a lazy tier rider.  Please help me so that I can actually enjoy this game.  

Well, looks like you tried every character and didn't like anyone. There's not much to do in this case, looks like you don't really like the game. I experienced something similar with Chrono Phantasma, but after seeing the Central Fiction trailer I decided to come back. Unless you have the motivation to pick a character and main it, there's no other option than quitting.

It has nothing to do with disliking the game, it's that I can't find a single character I have any drive to play, they're all dull to me compared to BB.  I keep hoping they'll announce someone I think is cool bu tthat hasn't happened yet.

Well what about the Xrd cast is it that you don't like compared to Blazblue? What are you looking for in terms of a character? What type of playstyle suits you? Who do you find aesthetically pleasing? 

Well what about the Xrd cast is it that you don't like compared to Blazblue? What are you looking for in terms of a character? What type of playstyle suits you? Who do you find aesthetically pleasing? 

I find all of the characters to be extremely boring, if not for their character then for their play style.

What am I looking for in a character?  Someone I'll find fulfilling not only as a fighting game character whose gameplay I will find rewarding, but also as a personality, and so far nobody in Xrd has been able to meet these conditions for me.

I can play pretty much any play style but considering my character in BB is Relius (if I had to pick "subs" it would be Ragna and Hazama) then I think that gives a clear distinction of what I'm interested in.  Fucking with people and making them either block and get hit with a mixup, or punishing them hard for trying to mash out.

Who do I find aesthetically pleasing?  Compared to BB nobody, really.  

I find all of the characters to be extremely boring, if not for their character then for their play style.

What am I looking for in a character?  Someone I'll find fulfilling not only as a fighting game character whose gameplay I will find rewarding, but also as a personality, and so far nobody in Xrd has been able to meet these conditions for me.

I can play pretty much any play style but considering my character in BB is Relius (if I had to pick "subs" it would be Ragna and Hazama) then I think that gives a clear distinction of what I'm interested in.  Fucking with people and making them either block and get hit with a mixup, or punishing them hard for trying to mash out.

Who do I find aesthetically pleasing?  Compared to BB nobody, really.  

Being a Blazblue player and loving its characters, I think I can understand.
Aesthetically speaking, GG caters to a slightly different crowd than BB, in my opinion. Characters in GG are all somewhat more... manly. BB characters have definetly a softer and more misterious appeal while GG characters pack more punch.
That made my job of picking a character I liked in GG much easier than in BB because very few characters in GG met my aesthetical standards, while chosing a main in BB was difficult as hell

Not even remotely my problem, I'm afraid.  BB characters to me all have a sense of uniqueness with their drives that give them a clear game plan, while GG characters to me don't have that.  That and as characters most of GG characters just seem like generic anime character archetypes to me instead of genuine personalities.  But this isn't a BB vs GG thread, this is a help me find a character o play in this god forsaken game thread.