shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Not even remotely my problem, I'm afraid.  BB characters to me all have a sense of uniqueness with their drives that give them a clear game plan, while GG characters to me don't have that.  That and as characters most of GG characters just seem like generic anime character archetypes to me instead of genuine personalities.  But this isn't a BB vs GG thread, this is a help me find a character o play in this god forsaken game thread.

Drive is an amazing system for delivering "uniqueness" to characters, but I think you can find something similiar to the drive mechanic scattered between each GG character's specials or movement options (i.e.: Venom's ball stuff, I-No forward dash...)
Zato is able to summon its "puppet" for example and that's basically a drive. Speaking of Zato, if you like Relius, he is probably the one that strikes me as vaguely resembling Relius in both being a puppeteer and being a "dark" character.
Sure, it's not the same at all, but it's as close as you'll get, I fear...

Zato isn't even close to Relius, his puppet is controlled with negative edge like Carl's rather than being a dependent entity like Relius's.   He's also not that dark seeing as he's no longer possessed by Eddie.  I appreciate the help but it doesn't seem like Zato is a good suggestion.

zato plays more like relius than carl imo, you do have to control eddie's movement like carl though so there's that. He really is kind of a midway between the two

it's not all about how you control the character, you seem to be pretty fixed up on that. GG characters are plenty unique, they just don't have a dedicated button of uniqueness.

anyway if you don't like anybody then maybe you just shouldn't play the game? why force it if it isn't fun? stick to bb until you vibe with a new character in xrd or something

Edited by greatfernman

Hello, which character in blazblue would I like if I like wrestling, grapples, and martial arts? (Its acceptable if the character has even one or two command grab. I know its silly to like wrestling, but it nice :V). Bullet, and Tager are some?

And how do I change the profile picture now?

Edited by Shigekazu

Hello, which character in blazblue would I like if I like wrestling, grapples, and martial arts? (Its acceptable if the character has even one or two command grab. I know its silly to like wrestling, but it nice :V). Bullet, and Tager are some?

Those two and maybe Bang and Litchi.

zato plays more like relius than carl imo, you do have to control eddie's movement like carl though so there's that. He really is kind of a midway between the two

it's not all about how you control the character, you seem to be pretty fixed up on that. GG characters are plenty unique, they just don't have a dedicated button of uniqueness.

anyway if you don't like anybody then maybe you just shouldn't play the game? why force it if it isn't fun? stick to bb until you vibe with a new character in xrd or something

Well, as I understand Zato is a character that requires you to take your lumps and put in lab time even more than any other character.  I'm absolutely fine with that, just that if I'm going to do that I wanted it to be someone I'm really dedicated to.  I'll think it over, but unfortunately it sounds like your advice is going to be the decision I'll have to go with.  Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Just spent a few hours in training with Zato.  I definitely feel like he is closer to Relius and I appreciate you suggesting him to me.  But what I enjoyed with Relius just isn't here.  I guess I'm back to square one.

Bullet's regular throw animation is a goddamn frankensteiner, doesn't get any more wrestler than that.  Go with her.

Edited by Poultrygeist

Mmm... time to chose a character to play in GG!
And of course I'm here for brainstorming

Characters I'm considering

-Axl: when I pick him and try his normals and specials, I really feel like I'm having a huge fun.
However, as I did not play any previous GG and as he had not so much screen time in Xrd I can't really understand him and I don't know if I can relate to him
(Yes if: he isn't stupid but plays dumb/carefree; No if: he is just a comic relief)
Things that I like: spacing, his weapon, him being carefree, time-travel sort of things

-I-NO: she is hands down the character I like the most in terms of character design. I have a weakness for witches and wizard hats so she hits on my weak spots. And I play in a rock band too, so lulz. I like her moves but not so much her knock-down-oriented gameplan. Again, not enough scren time to understand her character.

-Ramlethal: I'm not so much into evil coolderes but I like characters who evolve during the story. I like her design a lot (2nd after I-NO), she's really cute + I like her "familiars". And I really really really like how she looks on screen if used by a competent player. Sword placing and corner pressure vaguely remind me trap placing and pressure from Rachel Alucard, my BB wannabe main. With a huge emphasis on "VAGUELY"

-Faust: probably the character I enjoyed the most in story mode. However, for some reason he doesn't click with me while I mess around with his moveset. So strange, I usually enjoy characters with unusual tools and rationally speaking I "should" like him, based on my taste.

-Jack o': she is not out yet, she is not out yet, she is not out yet, she's not out yet... you got it. But I love Jack-o-lantern and halloween themed characters/moves/whatever. And she has that trollish and RPG-ish feeling in her moveset that drives me crazy. And she is cute. But not enough screen time to know her ('cause she's not out yet LOL), and... she's not out yet

Well, as I understand Zato is a character that requires you to take your lumps and put in lab time even more than any other character.  I'm absolutely fine with that, just that if I'm going to do that I wanted it to be someone I'm really dedicated to.  I'll think it over, but unfortunately it sounds like your advice is going to be the decision I'll have to go with.  Thanks for your time.

EDIT: Just spent a few hours in training with Zato.  I definitely feel like he is closer to Relius and I appreciate you suggesting him to me.  But what I enjoyed with Relius just isn't here.  I guess I'm back to square one.

Bullet's regular throw animation is a goddamn frankensteiner, doesn't get any more wrestler than that.  Go with her.

>Having THIS much Bias

lmao

I wanna main Justice, and I know she's bad, but I really like the character design. Plus some stuff like her 5S, Micheal Sword FRC, stuff like that. I dunno if I'm supposed to use her high arc nukes at all or just stick to FRCing the low ones to save time.

Other characters I'm looking at are Johnny and Dizzy, maybe Eddie.

Nu-13 is strong, but requires you to not panic and push random buttons at neutral, because that's how people get in and punch you in the face.  Her execution isn't hard and she doesn't really have a resource to manage (Gravity well recharges so fast it's not even funny) but you can't just like, push random D buttons on a whim;  You need a read or at least an educated guess.

Kokonoe requires a modicum of skill now, but doesn't seem to be any harder than any other resource based character.  Also her normals are STUPID GOOD.  Like, off the charts stupid.

Izayoi is apparently much more beginning friendly than she used to be, but she's still a resource-based mode change character, which results in more stuff you need to keep track of, especially compared to simpler characters.

I'd say Kokonoe and Nu are roughly average difficulty for beginners, with Izayoi being slightly harder.

So i'm trying to get back into BB, and while my first choice to play is Naoto right now. Since Central Fiction is still a ways off, I need a temporary character to play until then. 

So I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for basic offensive characters. 

So far the best options i can think of are Ragna, Makoto, Bullet, Celica, and Jin. 

Ragna is probably a good idea playstyle wise, but i'm not that big on his design.

Makoto is probably one of my favorite designs out of the characters i listed, but i have a hard time with her drive timings

Bullet is a close second in terms of design, but she's really clunky, and the lack of mobility kind of annoys me

Celica i kind have no complaints nor any really high points that make think she's awesome. So i'm pretty meh about her. 

and Jin seems okay design wise, but i Feel like he's more of a mid range character then a character who wants to be in your face. 

Any recommendations for characters or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

If you plan on playing Naoto and like Makoto, you seem to favor offensive rushdown characters.

So you can break it down to guys like: Ragna(Although he's more mid-range), Noel, Makoto, Tsubaki, Valkenhayn

So you like Makoto the most it seems, just play her and spend time getting the timing of her D moves down. She's pretty good now since she actually decent damage, you'll only really struggle trying to get in against characters with higher mobility and range. 

I agree, I'd just put in the time to learn Makoto stuff.  Of all the characters in the game, she'll probably also have the best teaching value, since she's super honest and doesn't have a lot of gimmicks and crutches that can lead to you developing bad habits.

Hello, I have a question. I can easily understand rushdown characters, (or at least very aggressive, offensive characters). I feel right at home playing Makoto and Celica. Is there any other characters i should look at, I dont mind abit of deviation in playstyle as long as majority of the focus is rushdown and do well at close range.

Noel, tsubaki, terumi, Jin. Platinum etc. there are many characters who want to be in your face very often. Even some of the zoners. In fact, nu and lambda are the only two characters right now I think that even want you far away for an extended time. Everyone else likes being close just as much if not more than being far away in their favor.

do you have specifics like easy to use, has a strong normals set/good projectile, etc that you would like?

7 hours ago, TD said:

Noel, tsubaki, terumi, Jin. Platinum etc. there are many characters who want to be in your face very often. Even some of the zoners. In fact, nu and lambda are the only two characters right now I think that even want you far away for an extended time. Everyone else likes being close just as much if not more than being far away in their favor.

do you have specifics like easy to use, has a strong normals set/good projectile, etc that you would like?

Im actually starting to like Mu 12 alot. Does she fall into that category? I really like her combos. :3

Primarily she is a midrange character, you want to play a fullscreen or mid ranged game and this changes a lot between rounds. She can rush down but not indefinitely. Her most effective range would be at the tip of her 2c where she can use her 6b, 5c, 6c, sword of decimation and steins effectively. 

Shes a a special sort of rush down, might need more spatial understanding than the typical rush down.

43 minutes ago, TD said:

Primarily she is a midrange character, you want to play a fullscreen or mid ranged game and this changes a lot between rounds. She can rush down but not indefinitely. Her most effective range would be at the tip of her 2c where she can use her 6b, 5c, 6c, sword of decimation and steins effectively. 

Shes a a special sort of rush down, might need more spatial understanding than the typical rush down.

No problem. I'll deal with it. I actually like the fact that she is different then the typical rushdown style and takes much more thought. Makes her interesting to me and i get to play with many other things. : 3

Hello! I have a question, I'm not new to FG's, I come from Tekken and SF, but in the new school fighters I have abundance character crisis. I can never find a main and stick to it.  In BB, GG, and P4A, I tried all the characters but don't have an in depth knowledge of how each should be played.

So I was wondering who would fit my playstyle for each game. I tend to play rushdown, emphasis on mixup and oki, and good speed, execution isn't a barrier as I will stick it out. If anyone could help me that would be great!

For Persona, i would recommend either Yosuke or Sho, since both of them are rushdown characters that prioritize mix-ups and good oki. As for Guilty theirs a lot of options there, but if you're looking for Oki, Chipp would be a pretty good choice.

I recently picked up Millia after trying out her trials and liked her style, but I'll pick up Chipp too and see how he goes!

As for P4AU  I'll go with Yosuke,  although I was told before he b was more of a hit and run, type of character.

Yeah you're sorta right about Yosuke, he is hit and run in certain cases, but once you're in, the mix-ups and oki you get from gliding after you knock em' down are ridiculous. But if Yosuke's not your thing, Sho's mix-up game and superb natural is good too.